Burning for the Family (JinmeixJoyabe)

Jinmei

Listening intently when he was told about the history of the island, not a single word left Agostino's lips. Although the cryptic smile never left his face, behind it his mind was working. Naturally, after overcoming the initial shock, he was intrigued by the peculiar ability of the island's natives. Had he not seen it with his own eyes he would have never believed it, but after seeing such concrete evidence, he had no choice but to accept it as real. He could certainly understand the appeal of such power and the desire of people and even governments to use it, especially when it was something so special. Yes, Agostino was always attracted by unusual things as he perceived himself to be different from the average person, and as such it was only natural that he should have special things. However, he wasn't blind to the fact this could very well be a double-edged sword. He certainly wouldn't want someone with those powers to turn against him. He was very much interested in ways he could use those people and their powers for his own favor, but he wouldn't be foolish enough as to just approach them- he would have to do some research before choosing the right person.

When the other man started talking again, Agostino was pulled out of his own thoughts and back into the conversation. His face was a blank canvas when he was explained the place's rules, but when he was done being threatened his lips pulled into a new smile and a soft chuckle escaped under his breath. He closed his eyes for a moment before opening them again, looking Martin straight in the eye. "I guarantee you that I have no intention of staying here. You seem to understand who you're dealing with so it might be in your best interest to find me a way out of this place as soon as possible. As for that second rule" he cocked his head to the side "I don't know how you did things back in your day, but I don't just go around randomly hurting people. And in any case, seeing that my family is where it is, and you are, well here…" he said as he stood up "I doubt it that you're in any position to make threats at me". With that, Agostino downed the rest of his drink in one swift motion before placing the empty glass back on the table and leaving the house without waiting for an answer.

He wasn't shaken by the threats made against him- for him it was just another day in the office. The old man would have to try much harder to actually scare him. He did hope though that he would be able to pull some strings to get him off the island faster, although he was no longer in such a hurry to leave. Maybe a few days on the island before he did would help him find something he could have never even dream of having before. Of course, right now there wasn't much for him to do. Agostino found himself aimlessly wandering around the small island, finally coming to a stop when he reached a strip of sand near the water that seemed secluded enough. He sat down on the warm sand, letting the sun melt away the aches in his body. He might not have been seriously injured, but nearly drowning was a tiring experience nonetheless. Closing his eyes, he let his mind drift, trying to calculate what should be his next steps.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Joyabe

• Jinmei

The old man gave a small nod. Of course, he knew Agostino's family was powerful and he would most likely doom the place if he did lay a finger on the young man. "I doubt you will do anything stupid when here anyway" he smirked and refilled his own glas as Agostino left. It had been a long time since Martin thought about his younger days, when he used to run his own family that he ended upp becoming the patriarch for, and when he was still good friends with Alonzo before that also changed. It was a small reason why he in the end decided to leave the criminal life behind and start anew. Never did he think he would be voted into being a leader here too. Maybe it was just set in the stars that he was to be a leader, and this time he would make sure to protect the ones he cared about, no matter what the cost.

Back at the stage area, things had gone fine during rehearsals and they were taking a brake now. Nero laid down on the wooden surface of the stage, trying to relax as even without an audience it was hard not getting nervous. "At least you didn't pass out this time" he heard a female say. His reply was a grunt and rolling his eyes. "You also owe me for this morning" she continued, "I'm the one that had to clean upp the beach since you just ditched that".

"Well I had to saved a guy whom almost drowned, that's a bit more important that clearing upp debris" he replied while sitting upp again.

"Oh yea, I just saw him exit the chief's hut, do you think he will be ok on his own?"

Nero nodded, "He's a grown upp man, he can take care of himself" still, he did make a quick scan and count over the dogs he could see in the village.

When he opened his eyes again, it took Agostino a moment to realize where he was. It seemed he fell asleep without even realizing it. The position of the sun in the sky informed him it was later- he wasn't sure how much later seeing that his watch was probably somewhere on the bottom of the ocean. It was around that time that he realized he had to come to terms with the fact he probably won't leave the island before night falls, and that he needed a shower, something to eat, and a place to sleep- preferably in that order. He should probably go back, he realized, question was go back to where. He doubted there was anything resembling a hotel on the island. Maybe they had a vacant house or something he could use? Anyway, Agostino had no intention of camping until he could go back home. He decided to go back to the village to look into that matter, but as he got up and patted the sand off of his borrowed cloths he realized he had another problem- he wasn't sure how to get back. Still, there was no reason to panic yet. The place wasn't especially big- if he would start walking eventually he would somehow get to the village, and so that was exactly what he did.

Little did he know that back in said village, someone was thinking about him. Although Martin was inclined to believe that Agostino wouldn't do anything to his people, he couldn't take the chance he was wrong. Threatening him didn't seem to be very effective, and so the least he could do was keep an eye on him. Of course, after their latest conversation it wasn't very likely Agostino would let anything slip around him- he would have to send someone else to do that job. Slowly pacing around the stage where rehearsals seemed to be wrapping up, Martin finally found the person he was looking for, signaling Nero to come to the side when he did. It seemed he was the first one to encounter Agostino on the island and he might have some answers. "Say" he told him when they were alone "Travera seemed to be wearing your cloths. How well are you acquainted with each other? Did he say anything about why he came to the island?" he asked the blonde.

Nero tilted his head a bit in confusion at the question, "Not really acquainted at all" he answered with a sigh white wiping the sweat off his forehead with a towel. "I found him on the beach all washed upp, gave him a change of clothes and he has just been whining since the start. Think he was in some kinda ship wreck but he hasn't said much about it". The blond thought for a bit before shaking his head, "That's pretty much what I know, he did offer me higher education on the mainland if I could get him home fast or make a working phone, but we both know that ain't happening anytime soon" the reminder of his new project did make Nero want to get home fast however so he could start working on it.

Was there anything more you wanted to know chief?" he asked before realising that said guest hadn't returned yet. He was thorn at leaving it at that or asking, as if he left it then he could be left alone.... worry ultimately won out in the 5 seconds he had that internal debate, "Have you seen Agostino since this afternoon? I saw him leave the village but not come back".

A shadow crossed the chief's face when he heard their "guest" had tried to bribe Nero, one that only got darker when he learnt Agostino left the village and haven't come back yet. For obvious reasons, there was no way he could have gotten off the island, but letting him roam free and do and say whatever he wanted was definitely not an option. "I haven't seen him either" the older man answered, his forehead creased with worry "and I don't think it's such a good idea to just let him be. It seems you saw some of his true nature, and who knows what he would offer other people" he said. Not all of his people were as strong as Nero- physically or mentally, and he had no idea what Agostino would try on them. He wouldn't be unnecessarily hostile, but it wouldn't hurt being on the cautious side. "We should probably keep an eye on him while he's around, make sure he doesn't cause too much troubles" he told Nero, trusting him of being loyal and caring enough towards the people of the island, as well as capable of restraining Agostino if it was called for.

Meanwhile, the potential trouble maker was still trying to figure his way around the island. He didn't know how the hell it was possible, seeing it never happened to him in the city and that this place was so small, but he seemed to have gotten himself lost. He was tired, hungry, and his injured ankle was starting to bother him after walking for so long. The slightest hint of worry already began sneaking into his heart when, in a distance, he saw a familiar building. Getting closer, he recognized the small hut he spent his morning in, letting out a small sigh of relief now that he found a familiar checkpoint. He remembered there was a little bit of a walk from Nero's house to the village, and he had the feeling if he would continue right now he would actually make his injury worse. Instead, he decided resting for a few minutes now that he was no longer lost was a better option. Carefully sitting down, he felt the immediate relief when the weight was taken off his ankle. He leaned back, supported by the wall of the small hut, deciding to wait for just a little before returning to the village and solving his accommodation problem.

Nero let out a small grunt as he heard the 'we should keep an eye on him' part, as that most likely meant him. "I think he is a bit rude, but everyone has some good in them. I mean George was a right upp asshole when he came here" allot of people had not known of that word before the chief had used it to describe George as a person. "He turned out to be a really nice guy in the end". Having said that, Nero got upp and stretched his back, "I will go look for him, I would feel like a terrible host if my guest got eaten upp first night here" responsibilities or not, his conscience was getting the better of him. Also, if he was lucky, maybe he could get out of the play if he had other things to do, like taking care of a main-lander. He rather do that any time of day than preforming, even if it was the kids that had pressured him into joining this year too.

The blond decided however he would go back to his hut first to get a flashlight as it was getting dark. One of the dogs wanted to follow, but Nero made sure no four legged beasts followed him home. The sun setting cast a orange purple glow over the island, making the water glisten like gold. This was the time of day most people enjoyed the most at the island as it was a beautiful sight and it was hard growing tired of it.

Having made a quick stop at a friend's to pick upp food for dinner, Nero was surprised to say the least when he found Agostino on his doorstep, ironically reminding him of a lost puppy. "Well, I guess i have to make other plans for tonight then since I found you already" he chuckled as he approached the other.

Agostino had to admit that he, once again, lost track of time just a little. The colorful sunset was something he rarely got to see, and he appreciated all things beautiful- be it natural or artificial beauty. It was only when Nero appeared in his field of vision that he remembered there were a few things he had to take care of. "What, you missed me that much?" he smirked as he replied to the other before getting back on his feet. As stunning as the view was, it was also a sign of the night that was quickly falling, and he had no intention of spending it anywhere outside.

"If you have so much time why don't you find me a place to stay while I'm here?" he presented the request like it was a great deal he was offering. "Looks like I have no choice but to go on a little unplanned vacation, so I'm going to need a place to sleep and a decent shower". If it would come down to this, he would either bribe or threat one of the villagers, but he hoped he wouldn't have to resort to those methods. He was still very much curious about the peculiar ability of the natives, and he knew it would be in his best interest to keep things as friendly as possible. Besides, despite coming from the underworld, Agostino didn't enjoy being an asshole just for fun. He knew things had a time and a place, and if things were going his way, there was no reason to use unpleasant tactics.

• Saga locked this topic