Differences Mean Everything and Nothing

Ueda_Angel

Prologue

Alex Patterson dropped his fork. The silver utensil clattered on his plate completely forgotten. He had to have heard wrong. Maybe he was asleep and this was just a dream. Subconsciously the brunette boy reached down and pinched his right forearm. Yelping in response when the saw the red spot forming on his arm Alex looked over at his dad. “Let me get this straight dad. You lost your job and plan on having us move out so you can avoid the embarrassment of being evicted.”

Tony Patterson took a drink from his glass and looked at his son with a very solemn expression on his face. “Yes that covers it.” He had spent most of the afternoon trying to figure out how to break the bad news to his son and wound up just being blunt about it.

“Well I just want to know two things. When the hell were you going to tell me about this and where the hell are we going to go?” Alex asked picking up his fork and finishing his nearly forgotten salad.

Tony had had a feeling Alex was going to ask those questions and he only smiled. “Alex calm down did you honestly think I wouldn’t think everything through? What would be the point of moving us out of the apartment even when I still have enough to cover next month’s rent? Our lease will be up this month so I figured since everything is happening all at once we might as well move while we have the chance.”

Alex looked up at his dad as he gathered the dishes. “Again I ask where are we moving?”

Tony chuckled. “You’ll find out when the time comes. When you’re finished I want you in bed early. I know you were up late last night studying.”

Sighing Alex knew he couldn’t argue. “Okay, okay but could I at least squeeze in one chapter of Paranoia? I’ll be halfway if I can.”

Tony couldn’t help but smile. “You and that book. I still can’t believe you were into that type of literature. But I guess as long as you’re in bed in twenty minutes.”

“Give me some credit Dad.” Alex requested. “I read faster than you do. I’d be able to get at least three chapters read in twenty minutes.”

Tony closed the door to the dishwasher and turned to his son. “Fair enough. Well I’m off to bed myself.” He said punctuating the statement with a loud yawn. “I have a lot to do tomorrow.”

“Kay Dad Good night.” Alex picked up his backpack from the couch and headed into his room. Changing out of his day’s outfit and into his sleep clothes the brunette picked up a large tome and located his marked place in the story. “I’m going to enjoy this.”

“Criss are you finished with your homework?” Max Perkins tapped on his son’s bedroom door. Surprisingly he wasn’t fazed when he didn’t receive an answer. Checking the knob he was shocked to find the door unlocked. Opening the door he peeked in to see his son lying on his bed, his hearing being blocked by music that even he could hear on the other side of the room. “CRISTOPHER PERKINS GET THOSE HEADPHONES OFF RIGHT NOW!”

Criss Perkins removed his headphones ironically at the end of the last song on the cd and looked at his alarm clock then his dad. “What is it dad? It’s nearly 11:30 don’t you have to get up for work?”

“And you have to get up for school.” Max answered pointing to the clock. “If your homework isn’t done-“

Criss turned off his cd player and set it on his bedside table. “Chill Dad I took care of it already. I did it during my study period.”

“Why would you do it then? Homework is supposed to be brought home hence the word ‘home’ in ‘homework’.”

Criss leaned back against his pillow in frustration. “Because it was either that or bugging the teacher again and getting detention. Besides I knew if I did bring it home you’d start chewing my ass off for not being an overachiever or an A student. I’m passing with decent grades I’d think you’d be grateful.”

Max was taken aback a first by his son’s outburst but he recovered quickly. “Well, either way you need to get to bed. I won’t tolerate this anymore.” He pointed to the clock on the table. “You requested your curfew for 10:00 and if you want to keep it at that time you will follow it or I’m resetting it for 8:00 get it?”

Criss only rolled over onto his side so his back was facing his father muttering, “Whatever.”

Max winced at the tone in his son’s voice and sat down on the corner of the bed. “Criss please don’t be like that. I don’t mean to be like this it’s just.”

Criss looked over his shoulder at his father and nodded aware of where this was going but not wanting to tag-along the way. “Don’t worry about it dad. It was hard on me too.”

“Okay Pal, get some sleep.” Max said speaking this time with a small smile. He walked out of the room whispering, “Good night.”

Criss waited until his dad has closed the door before changing into his black silk pajama pants. He reached over and flipped off the lamp on his bedside table and plugged his ear buds back into his cd player and turning it to his newest obsession ‘No Pressure”. He needed music to lure him to sleep whether his dad liked it or not.

• Like 6

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ueda_Angel

• hinata--chan

• lotusflower

• yojichan

reference pic for Criss located here. borrowing the pic only not claiming it as my own

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.

I really like the title of your story. I'm not very good with titling my stories so when I see a writer does one, I can't help but admire it so much.

I like how the prologue unfolds.

I'm curious. Is this an original story or fanfiction 'cause I'm not familiar with the characters.

So help me understand this...this Criss guy looks like Hyde...so this is just a physical reference for the readers to look at? Why did you choose Hyde and not someone else's face?

Considering that pic of Hyde makes him look a bit younger (in my eyes at least) that's a good reference of what Criss looks like. He's got that type of hair style and if he smiles he'll have that cool look on his face. that pic was the closes to a reference I could find. The story itself is mine and not a fan fic. Brohne on here convinced me to start posting it like she did her story Savior. There will be more I'm just working on it as I go a long.

i'm sorry

i dont know if i like this story

but maybe if i .....

i might understand it one day^_^

Lol no worries. I'm not expecting you to say you like it when you haven't read much of it. This is only the prologue so we still have a ways to go. It was mainly to introduce the 4 main characters. I will have chapter 1 posted up in the near future. If you wish to check it out when I do post it feel free if not I won't hold it against you.

Chapter 1

“Are you sure?” Robin asked.

“When are you moving?” Marc put in

Alex had spent a majority of the day trying to figure out how to tell his two best friends he was moving soon. Knowing there wouldn’t be any other time to talk to both of them at the same time besides lunch he had sent texts to both of them asking to meet at their favorite place; the big tree on the far side of the school grounds.

After explaining everything his dad has told him Alex had been answered with jaw drops and an unwanted view of Marc’s chewed up sandwich. “Dad hasn’t told me when or where so don’t bother even asking Marc. I mean I only found out about it last night. Do me a favor and don’t say anything though. I don’t’ want my dads losing his job to be the talk of the school. You know if gossip and rumors are heard they spread like wildfire.”

Robin bit into her banana and smiled. “No worries.”

“She’s right I mean we never really talk to anyone outside our circle unless we have too.” Marc said leaning back against the base of the tree.

“True but just don’t talk about it between yourselves. I don’t want anyone overhearing.” Alex requested glancing up at the sky. “Uh guys we better get inside it looks like rain. Besides class will be starting soon.”

Robin jumped off of the branch she was sitting in, “Sounds like a plan. Think we can check out that new music store after school? I want to get you that new cd for your birthday”

Alex picked up his pace just as thunder rumbled in the sky. “Robin I told you before you don’t need to get me anything.”

Robin only grumbled in return. “And I told you I’m never going to listen to that bull let alone agree with it.”

Marc chuckled enjoying the show, “Pal it’s best not to argue with her, especially considering I think she’s on her-“

Robin turned to look at her other best friend, her messenger bag at the ready. “If you finish that thought Marcus your funeral will be sooner than you think.”

Marc’s brown eyes went wide and he looked at Alex for help. “Alex!”

Alex took a step back holding his hand up in self-defense “You got yourself in Marc, get yourself out. I’m staying out of it.” He winced when he heard the warning bell echo off the hallway walls. “Oh crap we’re going to be late.” Not waiting for Robin to finish killing Marc Alex headed to class.

~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`

Criss pulled his ear buds out as his two best friends approached him during lunch. After spending 45 minutes listening to Mr. Calloway flap his gums he had to return to his world of what he knew and erase everything else.

“Hey Criss you up to stop at the music store after school? I heard that Black Angel’s newest album is out now,” Damien offered noticing the group Criss had been listening too. “It’s about time too. They haven’t had a new album in nearly 2 years.”

Criss pushed himself up into a sitting position and looked up at his best friends. “Can’t today, I need to get home right after school tonight.”

Raven sat down next to Criss and leaned back against her elbows. “This has to be a first. You never turn down the chance to get to the store.”

Damien sat down on the other side and placed a hand on the other boy’s shoulder. “She’s right are you all right in the head today?”

Criss glared at Damien’s hand then relocated the glare to the brunette’s face. “Unless you want to keep all five of your fingers I suggest you move your hand.” After reforming his glare into a look of satisfaction after Damien coiled back whimpering puppy Criss turned to Raven. “My dad left me a note saying if I don’t come home right after school today he’ll have my head. I’ll get the CD later.”

Fully recovered after the biggest scare of his life Damien moved closer once again, this time keeping is hands to himself. “Hey I just got an idea.”

Not willing to pass up the opportunity Raven looked up. “That’s got to be a first.”

Damien rolled his eyes in response. “Very funny.” Turning his attention to Criss he said, “Criss you know everyone in town is going to go after that album so you may not be able to get a copy if you don’t go. If you want I’ll pick you up a copy and you can pay me back.”

Raven removed her weight off her elbows causing her to fall backwards. “Or you can pick him up a copy and call it his birthday present.”

Criss plucked up a blade of grass and started twirling it between his thumb and forefinger, “Yeah my birthday’s in a few days, that’s right.”

Raven looked at him, “Why do you sound like you’re just remembering it?”

“Because I am.” Criss answered, “You know I really don’t care about my birthday, no point in my opinion.”

Raven sighed as she sat up and shook her head, “Some days you can be very surprising Criss.”

Damien chuckled. “She’s right and you are getting gifts from us whether you like it or not.”

Criss only looked at the two of them and answered with a shrug, “Whatever, come on let’s get to class.” Pocketing his IPOD He headed into the school not wanting to be late for Biology again.

Both surprised that their friend didn’t want to argue about it Damien and Raven followed Criss into the school building just barely making it to their seats by the time the warning bell rang.

~*~*~*~*~*~

“Damn I didn’t bring my umbrella.” Robin muttered after she removed her bag from her locker. “Alex do you think you could-“

Alex chuckled as he held up his umbrella, “Way ahead of you. Even though the dorms aren’t that far from here we shouldn’t risk it.”

Robin smiled and leaned in pecking Alex’s cheek. “You’re the best.”

Alex only shook his head and looked over to see Marc with an expression that looked dangerously close to jealousy. “I’d do the same for Marc.”

Marc walked up to the two of them; arms folded in front of his chest. “Prove it. I forgot mine too.”

Alex looked down at his umbrella. “Uh that may be a problem. My umbrella barely has enough room underneath for two people, three would be a disaster.”

Robin looked at the both of them. “Well this is interesting. Any ideas what to do?”

Alex smirked. “Yeah, Marc you take Robin to the dorms. I forgot I have to talk to the principal. Just give me back my umbrella tomorrow.” Not waiting for the two of them to argue he headed down the hall knowing if he didn’t get away quick enough they would confront him. Once he reached the second floor he located the nearest window and looked down. When he saw the top of his umbrella and two pairs of legs underneath he smiled. “About time.”

“Mr. Patterson is there something of interest out there?”

Alex froze up and turned around. He recognized that voice anywhere. “Oh hello Mr. Peters I was just coming to find you. I have to speak with you for a moment if you have time.”

Principal Peters looked at Alex suspiciously. “And what pray tell is so important you had to stay after school to tell me?”

“Well sir my father wanted me to ask if there would be a time he could meet with you. You see he and I will be moving in a short time and I think he wanted to see how well my educational performance has been.” Alex explained.

“I see. He can’t get this information from you?” Principal Peters asked.

Alex rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly. “Well I guess he wants to hear it from one of my teachers or better yet my Principal so he knows I’m not fibbing. I’m just passing on his message.”

Principal Peters smiled. “I understand. Well why don’t I give your father a call tomorrow evening? I don’t think it would be wise to be talking on the phone in this weather.

“Yes I think that would work.” Alex smiled in return. “I’ll ask my dad about it tonight and tell you tomorrow. Is that all right?”

“That’s fine now you get going, this weather is supposed to get worse. Be careful out there.” Principal Peters said.

Alex nodded. “You too sir, see you tomorrow.” Turning heel he headed down the stairs and out into the rain. As he pulled his jacket tighter around his torso he had only one thought on his mind. “Those two owe me big time.”

• Like 1

“Criss dinner’s ready.”

Criss pulled the ear buds out and placed his pencil on his desk. “Be right there.” Right before he had left for school that morning his dad had said he needed to talk to him about something and said he would do so over dinner. Curiosity was starting to get the better of Criss and he had been find it difficult to concentrate on his homework. After washing the ink off his hands he headed down the stairs to the kitchen.

Max dished out the tuna casserole onto the plates and sat down at the table. Seeing the anxious expression on his son’s face made him laugh. “Patience Criss; eat first then I’ll tell you the news.”

Criss sat down and looked at his dad. “Well tell me one thing; is it good news or bad news?” His curiosity had just won the battle.

Max swallowed a mouthful of the casserole. “Well it depends on how you look at it. I guess you could say it’s both.”

“Well that helps.” Criss muttered sarcastically as he dug into his own meal.

Max only shrugged in return. “You asked a question I answered honestly.”

Criss said nothing in return as he continued to eat his food. He figured the sooner he ate the sooner he would get some answers. Once the two of them were done eating and the dishes were taken care of Criss and Max walked out to the living room. “Okay Dad what is it?”

“Well do you remember my friend from Oregon, Tony Patterson?” Max asked.

Criss thought for a moment trying to place the name with a face from his memory. The name did sound familiar but no face came to mind. “I think so. What about him?”

“Well it turns out he and his son have wound up in a bad situation. Now I owe Tony a lot from favors over the past several years, all the way from high school and I have been trying to figure out away to pay him back. “ Max explained.

“And I’m guessing you came up with something, but why tell me? That’s something between you and him isn’t it?” Criss responded. “It has nothing to do with me.”

Max sighed as he looked at his shoes. “Actually Criss it does. Remember how I said you would think what I was going to tell you as both good news and bad news?”

Criss nodded.

“Well Tony told me that he has lost his job thanks to the company going bankrupt and he and his son have to move from their apartment by the end of this month; less than weeks from now. They have no place to go.” Max began.

“Why do I get the feeling I’m not liking where this is going?” Criss asked.

“I have offered Tony and his son the chance to move in with us until they can get back on their own feet again.” Max answered. “So the good news is you’re going to get a chance to get a new friend. The bad news is you’ll have to give up having a room to yourself, but that will be temporary. I plan on fixing up the old office room and making it into a bedroom.”

Criss stood up and looked down at his father. “I’m guessing I have no say in this.” Turning around he headed upstairs. “Don’t ask Dad. I’m going to finish my homework the going to bed.” Once he was in his room he locked the door and sat down at his desk. “Damien and Raven are going to love this.” Putting his ear buds back in he looked down. “Now where the hell was I?”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Alex when you’re finished with your homework, come to my room I need to talk to you.” Tony spoke through his son’s bedroom door.

Alex looked up from his book. “I am finished with it dad. I’ll be right there, just want to finish this chapter.” He turned his attention back to his book when he heard his dad’s retreating footsteps. Once he reached the next chapter he set the book down and walked into his dad’s room. “What is it?”

Tony sat down on the edge of his bed and motioned for Alex to take a seat anywhere he felt comfortable. Once his son was seated he looked at him. “Do you remember our discussion a few days ago about moving?”

Alex visibly cringed, “Yes but to be perfectly honest I’ve been trying to forget about it.”

“Why is that?” Tony asked. “ I figured you would be excited.”

Alex leaned back against his chair in a huff, “Dad why would I be excited to be leaving everything I know and am familiar with?”

Tony chuckled. “Touché. But Alex listen to me, we aren’t moving that far from here. It’s in another state yes but Oregon will still be right next-door. Or should I say right above us.”

“Above us? Wait, are you saying we’re moving to California?” Alex asked. “Why in the world are we moving there?”

Sighing Tony reached for his wallet from the table and pulled out a picture. “Because my old college friend Max owes me a huge favor and he and his son live in a house that’s too big for just the two of them.” He turned the picture around showing it to his son.

Alex looked at the picture recognizing it from seeing it before. “What about his wife.”

Tony placed the picture back in his wallet and shook his head, “Don’t ask about that. It’s a subject best not mentioned.” Setting the wallet back on the table he looked back over at Alex. “Now while you’ve been at school I’ve been packing a few things every day. I figured you could pack your own stuff.”

Alex looked around noticing that his dad’s room did look different. “So that’s why the place seems emptier. But dad are you sure it’s okay? I mean can we really just move are stuff in and make ourselves at home?”

“Alex trust me, Max has owed me many favors so I decided to have him combine all the favors into one huge one. Him allowing us to live with him and his son until we can get back on our own feet again is his way of returning the favor.” Tony reassured him.

Alex sighed deeply as he tapped fingers on the arm of the chair. “When do we leave?”

“At the end of the month.”

Alex leapt out of his seat, “End of the month!? But that’s one week! What about school what about-“

Tony held his hands up. “I already informed your school and if till help at all you can have your friends over as often as you want this last week.”

Alex leaned back again. “I guess that’s fair. Oh speaking of school did my Principal call you? I talked to him a few days ago but-“

“Yes, yes he did just the other day.” Tony answered. “I must say you have made me proud. It seems Mr. Peters is sad to see you leave the school. He said you were one of the top students in your class.”

In hopes to change the subject and hide his faint blush Alex covered his mouth and yawned. “Well it’s getting late. I had better get to bed.”

Tony only chuckled as he noticed the embarrassed look on his son’s face. “Okay good night buddy.”

~*~*~*~*~

“Are you serious?”

Criss adjusted the phone in the crook of his neck as he finished up his homework. “Yeah and according to my dad they’ll be here in a week.”

“Does that mean you’ll have to give up your room?” Raven asked through the receiver.

“No, well I mean the guy will be sleeping on the airbed till we finish renovating that old room.” Criss explained. “Dad’s friend is going to be moving into the guest room.”

“So why is your dad doing this anyway?” Damien asked.

“Something about owing is friend for saving his ass in the past or something.” Criss answered. “I never asked. I just hope this kid isn’t an idiotic freak.”

Raven chuckled. “What are you going to do if he’s like us?”

“Trust me I already know he isn’t. Dad told me about him and his dad.” Criss scoffed. “So I would know what to look forward to he said.”

“Criss get off the phone and get your ass into bed. It’s 9:57.” Max’s voice echoed on the other side of the bedroom door.

Criss glanced at his clock and winced. “Shit guys I have to go, it’s almost my curfew.”

Raven sighed, “Okay Criss, night see you tomorrow. Damien Damien? Hey dork

face?”

When they heard no response Criss muttered. “He fell asleep again. Hold on a second.” Clearing his throat he yelled straight into the receiver. “Hey dork face!”

Criss nearly fell over laughing when he heard the reaction on Damien’s side.

“Who what the-“

Both Criss and Raven hung up at the same time. “Night.”

• Like 2

Reference pic for Alex with his glasses off and remove the fuzz lol. I'm aware that's Shia Lebouf but Alex looks dangerously close like that in my mind. I was surprised to find this pic and am not claiming any ownership of it. I'm just borrowing it for references purposes only.

im looking forward to reading more tat chan, well done, the story has held me so far :) characters could get interesting

Chapter 2

“Please tell me your joking.”

“I’m not. We leave at the end of the week and my dad said I could have the two of you could come over as often as you want.” Alex answered leading the others into the school opening the front door so the other two could get through.

Robin stepped through the door. “Well I can talk to my folks after school if you want us to spend the night or something.”

Marc followed close behind. “Please tell me you’re joking.”

Robin turned around forcefully. “Marc if you say that one more time-“

Marc took the bait and stepped forward “Please tell me you’re joking.” Seconds later he felt a smack across the back of his head. “Ow! What was that for?”

Robin retracted her hand and folded her arms in front of her chest. “How else are you supposed to fix a skipping record player? Besides I did warn you.” Turning back around she noticed Alex was a fair distance away and picked up her pace to catch up with him. “Hey Alex I just thought of something. What day do you leave on?”

Alex didn’t turn around. “Saturday.”

“Saturday? But that’s your birthday isn’t it?” Marc asked having caught up with the other two.

Alex shrugged “It’s cool, dad said having you guys over could count as the replacement for the party.” He headed towards along row of lockers.

Marc followed with Robin walking next to him. “Well I can ask my folks too but no promises man.”

Alex pulled open his locker and removed his books., “I know they won’t be too anxious in letting you guys spend the night since we have school.”

Robin leaned against her own locker. “But if we explain the situation maybe they’ll let us for one of the nights.”

Marc shut his own locker having retrieved the required books for his first 3 classes. “Wait Robin are you sure you’ll want to spend the night with us guys? Last I checked you were a girl.”

Robin glared at Marc. “Who ever said you and I would be there on the same night? I highly doubt Alex’s dad could handle the tree of us o his own.” She smiled playful at Alex. “He can barely handle the two of you!”

Alex leaned against his locker, hugging his textbook to his chest. “True dad did say it had to be each of you on one night.” He pushed himself upright and headed towards his first class. “And he’ll talk to your folks if it will help.”

Marc followed considering his class was in the same direction. “Probably, I highly doubt my dad will be willing to let me stay unless he knows the reason your dad is allowing you to invite me on a school night.”

“Same here. Well I’ve got science I’ll see you guys at lunch.” Robin said having followed them to the end of the hall before heading down the stairwell.”

“Hey Criss Damien told me to give you your birthday present..” Raven held out a square object wrapped in black and silver tissue paper.

Criss took the object and unwrapped it. Sure enough it was the newest album from his favorite band ‘Black Angels’ “thanks I’ll probably listen to it tonight.” He set the cd carefully next to him and leaned back against the grass. “By the way where is Damien?”

Raven sat down next to Criss and pulled out a granola bar from her school satchel. “He’s either skipping or sick. Either way I didn’t see him in class at all today.” She pulled out another bar and held it out.

Criss accepted it removing the wrapper and taking a bite. “I’d say he’s skipping but there’s always that chance. “ he took another bite. “You want to give him a call? We still have twenty minutes till lunch is over.”

Raven pulled her cell phone out of her satchel and put it to her ear having pressed the speed dial. “Already on it.”

“Hello?”

“Hi Mrs. Jones. It’s Raven. We were wondering if Damien was okay.” Raven answered when she heard a response cut through the ringing.

“Oh yes of course he just came down with a severe stomachache this morning. He’s asleep right now.”

“Ah I see well Criss wanted to thank him for his birthday present today but I guess he can do that tomorrow.” Raven explained.

Criss crinkled the wrapped in his hands. “”Just tell her to send my thanks to him when he wakes up okay?

A chuckle could be heard over the phone. “I heard him and I’ll be sure to pass the message on. Oh in return Raven please tell Criss I tell him Happy Birthday.”

Criss rose his voice volume so he knew Damien’s mother could hear him. “Thanks Mrs. J.”

Raven chuckled. “Well tell Damien we hope he feels better and I’ll get him any notes and homework assignments he may need so he won’t get behind.”

“Thank you Raven, bye.”

Criss looked over at his friend. “I don’t see why you’re going through the trouble to do that. You know Damien won’t bother doing the assignments.”

Raven placed her phone back in her satchel and polished off the rest of her granola bar. “I know but I’ll make sure he does.”

Criss adjusted his position was propped up on his elbow facing the red haired girl. “Hey Raven why don’t you do both yourself and Damien a favor and ask him out. I know you two like each other.”

Raven broke eye contact and Criss could have sworn he saw a faint blush light up her cheekbones. “Yeah what’s your point?”

“I’m getting tired of you two dancing around each other.”

Raven leaned over and pushed Criss causing him to topple onto his back. “Well what about you?”

Criss made no move to return the gesture. Instead he sat up and took a hold of his cd. “What about me?”

Raven sighed tucking her hair behind her ears. “Come on Criss you haven’t had a single relationship in your entire life so you shouldn’t be talking.”

Criss got to his feet and looked down. “And I don’t’ intend to anytime soon either.”

Raven shook her head. “You’re going to regret saying that.”

Criss picked up his granola bar wrapper. “Whatever. I’m heading to the bathroom then getting to class.” Not waiting for an answer the ebony haired boy headed into the school all the while wondering if his best friend was right.

Alex looked up from his sketchpad when he heard the front door open. “Hey dad do you think you can talk to Marc’s parents about letting him spend the night. He and I aren’t too sure if they’ll agree with letting him stay unless they know the reason I want him to on a school night.”

Tony walked into the kitchen to find his son working on his sketches at the table instead of the living room. Then again most of their furniture was no longer occupying their apartment anymore, “Of course I can talk to him after dinner. If they’re okay with it Marc can stay Tuesday and Robin can stay Thursday and we’ll let Robin sleep in your room while you take the couch, you okay with that?”

Alex got up from his seat and grabbed a soda from the fridge. “Way ahead of you on that one dad. Robin and I already talked about that earlier today at lunch.” He sat back down at the table and resumed his work on his sketching.

“I should have suspected that.” Tony answered with a light chuckle under his breath. “Now get working on your homework buddy.”

“No need. I didn’t have any assignments to night.” Alex took a few minutes to add the finishing touches before standing up from the table again. “I’m going to listen to some music then probably go to bed after dinner.”

Tony peeked his head out from the fridge. “Are you okay?”

Alex turned around. “Yeah I’ve just been tired a it lately. I’m probably nervous about the move is all.”

Tony walked over and placed a hand on his son’s shoulder. “Okay but if there’s something wrong.”

Alex moved away from his father’s reach with a smile. “Don’t worry dad. I won’t keep it a secret.” Not waiting for an answer he headed into his room and kicked his shoes off. After locating his ipod he scanned his playlist for Black Angel’s song ‘Tearless Sorrow’. In minutes he was lost in his own world.

Tony put together a quick dinner before glancing at the clock. “I better make those calls.” He reached for the landline, which luckily was still installed. After a few rings someone picked up. “Hi, Joe yeah it’s Tony listen do you think it would be okay of Marc stayed over tomorrow night with my son Alex?”

“On a school night?” Joe asked obviously surprised.

Tony chuckled, “I know it’s an awkward time to ask but Alex and I are leaving the state at the end of the week. Also Alex’s birthday is on the day we have to leave so I told him he could invite a friend over for the night.”

Joe cleared his throat.. “Well after hearing that, I suppose Marc can stay over.” His voice was muffled for a few seconds. “But there will be a few conditions. I expect to be met.” He went silent before continuing. “My son has to be in bed at a decent hour and if any assignments are given he must have his homework done before any play.”

“No worries I already planned for that. So I’ll let Alex know the good news and we’ll see Marc tomorrow night. Say hi to Pat for me.” Tony said now smiling.

“Will do, have a good night Tony.”

“You too.” Tony answered before hanging up. He picked up his phone book to look for the second number he needed to call before taking the receiver of the hook once again. “Hi Alice? Yeah it’s Tony Patterson Alex’s father. My apologies for calling so late.”

“It’s fine Tony, how may I help you?” Alice responded.

“Well I know it’s sudden but would it be oaky if Robin spent the night with my son?” knowing his words didn’t sound exactly assuring be added. “She’d be allowed to sleep in his bed while he either bunks with me or sleeps on the couch.”

The line was silent for a moment. “What day are we talking about here?”

“Thursday. I’m aware it’s a school night but Alex and I are moving to California on Saturday and I know it will be hard on him to leave his friends.” Tony explained.

• Like 1

Alice sighed. “I understand that. But I’m sorry Robin won’t be allowed to spend the night. I will however allow her to stay at your place till around 10:30 so the two of them can have some time to hang out or chill or whatever it is the kids say these days.”

Tony chuckled. “That’s perfectly fine. I’m sure Alex will be happy she’s able to join him.”

Alice laughed as well. “So Thursday then?”

“Yep we’ll see Robin then. Have a good night.” Tony placed the receiver back on the cradle for the night and headed down the hall to his son’s room. “Alex can you come out here.” He waited for several seconds but received no answer. “Alex?” He then remembered his son mentioning wanting to listen to music.

Opening the door he found the teen with his headphones in lying on his bed sound asleep. His glasses were still on so he guessed he had fallen asleep not too long ago. Reaching over he gently shook his shoulder. “Hey Alex buddy?”

Alex’s blue eyes slowly opened. “Huh what?” He reached up to rub his eyes only to have them bump his glasses to the side.

Tony reached over and set the frames straight again. “You fell asleep with your headphones on again.” He stood up straight. “I just wanted to let you know Marc’s dad agreed to let Marc stay over tomorrow night and Robin can’t stay over but she will be allowed to hang out till pretty late.”

Alex smiled, “Ah cool!” Seconds later a yawn escaped lips. “I guess I better change for bed.”

Tony leaned against the doorframe. “I’m guessing you don’t want dinner tonight?”

Alex reached into his dresser for some sleep attire. “No I’m too tired. I’ll just grab a big breakfast if that’s okay.”

“That’s fine as long as you’re okay.”

Alex turned to give his dad a reassuring look. “I’m fine dad really, just tired is all.”

Satisfied with the answer Tony smiled. “Okay well good night Alex.”

Alex climbed onto his bed. “Night dad.” He waited for his dad to close the door before placing is glasses on the nightstand and shutting off his desk lamp.

“Hey Criss can you come out here for a minute?” Max asked standing out his son’s closed bedroom door.

“Criss turned from his desk to respond to the closed door and the person no doubt still standing in front of it. “What is it dad I’m doing my homework.”

Max stepped back from the door surprised. ”Oh well finish that up then come out here. I have something to give you.”

Criss rolled his eyes at the closed door before returning to his assignment. Once he was finished he pushed himself away from his computer desk and headed out to the living room. “Okay I’m done what is it?”

Max reached over and turned the tv down before reaching into his pocket. “I know you don’t like having a birthday but since you’re turning 17 today I figured I had to get you something.”

Criss groaned and leaned against the wall. “Dad you promised you’d stop getting my gifuts for my birthday.”

“Yeah when you turned 18. This is only our 17th birthday so hit’s fair game.” Max responded pulling out an envelope from his pocket.

Criss took the envelope and cocked an eyebrow. “An envelope?”

Max chuckled. “Open it up you dork.”

Criss did as he was told and pulled out a black card. “A gift card?”

Max smiled as he stepped back. “Yeah it’s new it can be used in any store in the mall. I put $50 on that and it can be reused. But I expect you to use it wisely.”

Criss looked at the card carefully and sure enough it was genuine. “Thanks. I guess I can handle one last gift raided birthday.”

“And since it is your birthday you can stay up till 11, but tonight only.” Max added as he headed towards the kitchen.

“Thanks dad. Let me know when dinner’s ready. I want to listen to my new cd.” Criss responded heading towards the stairwell.

“What new cd?”

Criss visibly cringed. “Damien got me the new Black Angels album for my birthday.”

“Oh that band you like.” Max said. “Enjoy but please use your earphones.”

Criss shook his head. “Dad I planned on it.” Not waiting for an answer he headed up to his room and closed the door. After transferring the songs from the cd to his ipod he flopped down on his bed and plugged his headphones in. He wasn’t even 2 minutes into the first song when there was a knock on the door.

“Criss Damien’s on the phone.”

Criss tore his headphones from his ears and reached for his extension. “I got it.” He picked up the receiver, “This had better be good.”

“I’m doin fine thanks and you?” Damien asked.

Criss fell back against his bed grateful his phone was a cordless. “Sorry it’s just I was in the middle of listening to the cd you got me and well you know how I get when someone interrupts my music.”

“True.”

Criss cleared his throat. “Sounds like you’re feeling better.”

“Yeah my stomach was aching severely and my gut wasn’t letting anything stay down and-“ Damien began.

“Damien please I don’t need to hear the details no matter how fascinating you may try to make it sound.” Criss said cutting his best friend off. “My appetite is right where I want it thank you very much.”

Damien chuckled. “Well I just wanted to make sure you know I wasn’t skipping school, that I was actually sick.’

“I already knew that.” Criss responded. “So why’d you call anyway?”

“I just wanted to make sure Raven gave you the cd, that’s all.” Damien answered, “Believe it or not I almost wasn’t able to get it. Turns out I had forgotten my wallet at home.”

“Then how did you get this one?” Criss asked grabbing for the cd and studying the cover.”

A groan came over the receiver, “Well let’s just say I owe Raven $20.”

“I see well-“

“Criss wrap it up if you can. I need to make a call.” Max’s voice sounded from the other side of the door for the third time that night.

“Kay Dad hold on.” Criss sat up, “Damien I need to get off.”

“Okay that’s cool. Well I’ll probably see you in school tomorrow. Have a good night Criss and Happy Birthday.” Damien responded.

“Yeah thanks, night.” Criss ended the call and pushed himself off his bed. He placed his extension on the cradle walked over to his door and opened it. “Dad I’m done with a phone. If you’re calling your friend Mr. P tell him I say hi.”

Max walked into the kitchen and retrieved the phone. “Will do.” He dialed a memorized number and leaned against the counter waiting for an answer.

“Hello?”

“Hey Tony hope Im not calling too late.” Max said when he got an answer.

“No it’s fine.” Tony responded. “Alex is asleep so I have to keep it down but what’s up?”

“I just wanted to let you know the boxes you shipped arrived to day. “ Max glanced over at a stack of boxes in the front hall. “I figured you would want to know they got here safely.”

Tony sighed. “Thank goodness. I was starting to worry. Hopefully it wasn’t too many.”

“No but I was surprised you managed to fit all that into these boxes. Do you plan to send anything else ahead?” Max asked.

“No I don’t think so.” Tony answered. “I plan to pawn a few things Alex and I don’t use anymore and donate a few things to the thrift store.”

“Ah okay. Well you’re room is all ready for you and Alex can bunk with Criss till we finish his room.” Max said now wandering around the kitchen table.

“Sounds good. How’s Criss taking this anyway?”

Max glanced towards the stairs. “Pretty good. I know it’s a big change for him but I think it would be good for him. What about Alex?”

Tony sighed again, “I know this move is going to be hard on him but I think he understand my situation.”

Max grew serious. “Have you told him why you were let go?”

Tony responded just as serious. “Not yet. I don’t plan to either. I don’t want to worry him..”

“I see well it’s getting to be dinner time and I still have to put something together.” Max said chancing a glance at the clock, which chimed 8:00, “Stay safe Ton and give Alex a hug from me tomorrow.”

Tony laughed. “No problem, send my birthday wishes to Criss for me.”

“Will do, bye.” Max hung up after Tony responded and headed back up the stairs. Knowing his son liked his privacy he knocked on the door and cracked it open. “Hey Criss are sandwiches okay for supper I’m not really in the mood to cook tonight.”

“Don’t care.” Came the response from the birthday teen.

“Oh Tony wanted me to tell you Happy Birthday from him.” Max continued adding on, “and his son Alex.” At the end.

“Great dad.” Criss answered a hint of irritation in his tone.

“”You okay?”

“I’m listening to my music dad.” Criss said still irritated.

Max held back a chuckle. He knew his son loved music and hated it when any of his songs were interrupted. “Okay okay I just wanted to pass the message.”

“Thanks dad and yeah sandwiches are fine.” Criss answered his tone now calm.

Max said nothing in response as he headed down the stairs to start preparing dinner.

• Like 2

That was a good well rounded chapter :D . Nice to see some more of their personality's.

I can't wait for the next one ! So good :D write soon no pressure ^^ .

Sim versions of Criss and Alex!

Sim Versions of Robin and Marc!

Sim versions of Raven and Damien

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Want more please!!! It is such a wonderful story, and it captivates me. Can't wait till Alex and criss meet each other. It sounds like it will be really interesting.