Where the Flower Withers (hal7283 and Noise Prince, private, 18X)

hal7283

Percen couldn't help but laugh at the suggestion. He wasn't sure if there were many commoners that would be that interested in marrying him, either. Percen wasn't much different from the others that wished Erwin would court them, only he wasn't wearing several layers of perfume. It was far too distracting to have Erwin around to even think about taking a woman, or even another man, for that matter.

"Do not mock my step-mother's peculiar tastes," He laughed. But honestly, Erwin would have to settle down before Percen did. He would make a poor husband as the way things were now, while always pining for the prince. He wasn't sure if Erwin finding a bride would even be enough to make Percen snap out of his affections for him. Perhaps he was doomed. He couldn't really bother to be concerned with it for now, of course. How could be be anything but satisfied when he was besides the prince he'd just come inside of?

"Ah..." He lightly stroked his cheek with his thumb. "In that case, perhaps next time I will disregard your pleasure a little more, as to keep your bitch-moans to a minimum," Percen teased him.

Percen was still a bit buzzed, so after their intercourse, he felt pleasantly drowsy and fulfilled. He hummed softly when Erwin kissed him, and smiled up at him. "Ah, I will have nightmares if you remind me of that," Percen chuckled. "Goodnight, my lord," He said, closing his eyes. He was quite tired, though his thoughts often when to how to organize the hungover troops to best clean up their living area kept him up for a bit later than Erwin, but soon he was falling asleep as well.

-------------------------

The next morning came too soon, far too soon. Percen's eyes snapped open and he sat up abruptly, causing his head to throb, when he was woken by a sharp scream. Erwin was sitting up as well, sweat beading on his bare skin. It was alarming, but it wasn't exactly unexpected for Erwin to have nightmares, though this seemed particularly rough. He didn't say anything, and allowed Erwin to center himself with his surroundings. Unfortunately, he wasn't given much time when some footsteps stormed closer and closer, and a heavy fist knocked on the door.

Erwin called to the soldier, and Percen sat patiently during the exchange. This was all quite unexpected, and didn't exactly bode well. An emergency meeting this early- or perhaps they had slept in quite late- with the king was rarely for good news. He licked his lips.

"Well, my lord... I can't say I anticipated this," He sighed sympathetically. He lightly patted his back. "My lord, let me assist you this morning... are you sore from last night?" He asked tenderly.

-----------------------------------

It didn't take long for Kovi to warm up to Raphas, who showed him endless kindness. He was patient with him, while he clung to his side constantly, always curious as to what he was doing. The temple was never really more than a place that housed him, but with Raphas he truly felt he had a home again.

His memories started to fade, growing fuzzy, and seemed to revert. There was a green, beautiful garden. Very manicured plants decorated the space, even though it was more of a playground. Wait, why did he think that... as a kid, did he really think it was predominantly for play because he and Erwin played there together so much? Erwin... Why was he thinking about him so much? He had such painfully fond memories of him, where all he could think about was running over and slapping his younger self and insisting that he not trust the golden-haired boy he loved so much. How much heart ache would it have saved him all this time if he had known?

Even though Erwin was older and a prince, he was always accommodating to Kovi, playing the villain and letting Kovi play the hero many times. They'd hide together when Kovi's parents came and insisted it was time to leave, and they would hold hands and giggle and cover their mouths and shush each other until they inevitably gave themselves away. Kovi spent a lot of time thinking about which shoulder blade they'd get the lavendar tattoos on- since Erwin was his family, it was only right, and whether they would correspond or go opposite so when they stood beside each other the tattoos would be adjacent.

The memory made him feel sick. To think, he wanted him to carry the same mark as him so badly he cried the first time his mother tried to explain why that couldn't happen. Now... he imagined meeting Erwin himself, as adults. He wanted Erwin to recognize him, despite how long it had been, he wanted him to fall to his knees and beg forgiveness before Raphas would appear, and kill him. He wanted his body to be broken and cut until he felt all the pain Kovi had and he'd be free of it. There'd be no piece of him dwelling in the past, attached to other people, and he'd be completely Raphas' in his entirety.

--------------------------

He ended up waking up, feeling comfortable now, in the consoling thought of being with Raphas. He loved him so much... He got up out of his bed. The pain from the various wounds and marks he'd earned was gone, and he knew the markings on his skin would be all but vanished at this point, thanks to that miraculous ointment. His abdomen, however, boasted a dull ache inside. He stepped out of his room and went to find Raphas. He wished he could have stayed awake after his bath. He felt like he cut their time together short. He hoped it'd be a while before he had to go on another mission, and he could stay with his master.

Wasn't here. Kovi was a disappointed. He was busy, and ambitious, and crafty. Of course he was able to finish whatever work he needed here and left. He was probably in the palace now, setting the gears into work now that he had his latest name Kovi collected for him. He smiled to himself. It was lonely, but he was so proud to be able to work with him on something so important. This Kingdom would crumble under Raphas' rule, and Kovi would watch beside him...

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hal7283

• Noise Prince

"I'm fine Percen, it takes more than your dick to bring me down." Erwin smiled and he got off the bed. Stretching his body Quickly Erwin shook off the last remnants of last night and put on a face worthy of a prince and military commander. Getting off the bed he quickly began to prepare for the unexpected meeting, and soon enough he was on his way to the imperial court with Percen at his side. He waited there nervously wondering just what could be the reason for holding this meeting. Since the King specifically asked him to attend then it must have something to do with him as well. What could it be? Did Wirland declared war again? Or did any of the northern tribes he just defeated managed to recover and launched another attack?

Shortly after Erwin was summoned, and he entered the grand hall. All the traces of last night's party have disappeared and it has became a place of governance once more. Erwin observed the room as he approached the throne, and found that the gaze focused on him had somehow changed from yesterday. Sure there was the usual hostility and intrigue, but also fear and respect. Erwin wondered what could've caused such change in attitude towards him. He turned his gaze forward and just like yesterday his father the King sat on the throne, while the mysterious adviser named Raphas stood by his side.

Erwin knelt down before the throne and said: "I came as soon as I could, your majesty. May I ask what's the purpose of this meeting?"

"Ah my son, stand up." The King said as he smiled at the prince: "I called this meeting because I've been notified of a great travesty. I was told of the incident between you and Rudolf Farios last night."

"Ye...Yes, your majesty." Erwin said hurriedly. He figured he must have gotten himself into trouble with last night's outburst and was about to explain himself. But the King beat him to the spot and Erwin was utterly shocked by what he heard next: "Don't worry son, I've stripped Rudolf Farios of his rank and ordered his arrest."

"Your majesty, if I may...." Erwin asked nervously:"Isn't the punishment too severe? He was clearly intoxicated at the time and didn't mean what he said. I'm sure a fine or a few days of home-confinement would..."

"No Prince Erwin. The sentence is in fact too light." Raphas interrupted Erwin in mid sentence and continued: "To think that the Commander of the Royal Guard, someone who should be the most loyal defender of the throne, had the audacity to insult a Prince at the night of his triumphant return! Such insolence is not just a insult to you, the throne, but the foundation of the Kingdom of Levendel itself!"

"You are absolutely right, Raphas." The king said as as he slammed on the arm of his throne and stood up: "Such treasonous act is worthy of the most severe punishments. But considering his service during his time as the commander, and the plead from many members of the court I've reduced his punishment. And also because I wouldn't want to taint your victorious return with... disgraceful bloodshed."

"I... I see..." Erwin responded, still baffled by the whole situation. He then asked: "So you held the meeting just to announce Rudolf's arrest?"

"Oh, of course not, my son. The main topic is yet to come." The King smiled as he sat back down on the throne and said: "With Rudolf Farios removed, the post for the commander of the royal guard is now vacant. Erwin my son, how would you like to command the Royal Guard?"

"M...Me?!" Erwin said surprised.

"Yes, you, my dear son." The king explained: "You've been away for so long, serving and protecting the country. It's about time you return home and settle down a bit. Besides, who else is better suited to protect the capital than a great hero like you?"

Erwin was caught by surprise by the offer. Sure becoming the commander of the royal guard would mean significant influence and power in the capital, which can prove to be helpful in trying to improve the situation of the kingdom, but it would also mean that he'd be stuck in the swamp of political struggle, and be pulled away from actually battle defending the kingdom against outside threats. After a moment of pause he replied: "Thank you for such a wonderful offer your majesty, but I'd have to decline..." He looked at the king and said: "As much as I'd love to spend more time by your side, my calling is at the front lines, fighting alongside my men."

"I see....As modest as ever..." The king said as he lowered his head, clearly disappointed by Erwin's reply. But quickly he raised his head again and said: "In that case I'll need to find someone else to be the commander. Hmm....I know! How about you choose someone from your command? I'm sure someone with front line experience would do the royal guard some good!"

Once again Erwin was at a lost for words, but not because he had no such candidates in mind. In fact the perfect choice was right beside him this very moment. Percen was a great fighter and an excellent commander in his own right. If not for the fact that he choose the wrong prince to follow he would be commanding his own army by now. Not to mention getting married to some beautiful noble girl and possibly have a few kids running about. Becoming the commander of the royal guard would benefit Percen's family greatly, and give him the power and luxury he deserved.

Erwin turned back to look at the king and was about to say it, but was unable to. Eventually he said: "Allow me some time to think about the candidates, your majesty."

"Of course, no need to hurry." The king smiled. He then took a glance at the court and said: "Well then, now we got that business out of the way, let's end this meeting."

Some time latter Erwin and Percen returned to the garrison. He got to his office and brushed off some of the dust accumulated on the chair, then pretty much collapsed on it. He let out a long sighed and asked: "Be honest with me Percen. Do you want the job? Commander of the Royal Guard I mean."

Meanwhile Raphas has somehow returned to the catacombs, despite the fact that he should be having breakfast with the King at the very same time. As expected he found his loyal puppet to be in filled with energy and in good health. He approached the young man with a gentle smile and said: "Good morning Kovi, how are you feeling today?" He reached for Kovi's dark hair and caressed his head almost lovingly with an apologetic smile: "I wanted to give you more time to rest but... I have a new mission for you, perhaps the hardest one you'd ever have to go on. It's basically the same deal as before: infiltrate, approach, seduce, collect, then return. But your target is.... a bit different from the typical nobles you've dealt with so far.... Your target, is the 3rd Prince, Erwin Aelbrande."

Raphas got closer to Kovi and held the young man in his arms, he looked into those big purple eyes and said: "This mission will be even more dangerous than usual since the Prince knew you when you were a child and may recognize you. He would certainly have you arrested then executed since you violated the terms of your exile. But bring him under my spell would be crucial to my plans..... Can I count on you?"

Percen's eyes widened a little, despite the sleepiness of them, at the slight jab.

"You wound my pride, my lord," He responded, returning a grin. He moved to get up as well, but was stopped by the painful creak in his neck, keeping him from turning his head forward completely. Well, that wasn't great, but nothing a little stretching and carefulness couldn't help. He hoped it wouldn't bother him all morning, though. He could tell that despite Erwin's playfulness, the sudden meeting was concerning him a good deal.

Percen could understand that course. It was very unnerving to just have a meeting suddenly spring up, especially considering the current climate. Percen greatly preferred to have an understanding of an agenda he was apart of, or at the very least the potential or possibility. This was rather unorthodox, and it was very unlikely to be about good news. Things were going to be very tense. His neck might be a concern after all.

As they got ready, Percen tried to come up with a list of things that the meeting could be about, and what Erwin and his role would be. Wirland could be throwing weight around, getting blood thirsty, and that could easily require an impromptu meeting. Or maybe a noble had committed a crime of some sort, such a thing was usually discussed promptly with a circle of high ranked men. Or maybe there was another military threat, maybe there was a sudden recovery, or additional troops arrived for reinforcement for the tribes they had thought they'd squashed.

It didn't take them long to be heading down the grand hall and towards the imperial court. They were relatively silent, and he was sure most everyone at the meeting would be equally somber. The place was quite pristine, as if the party hadn't happened the night before. He wondered how late the servants had to stay up to clean up so thoroughly, or how early they woke to have it prepared for the morning meeting.

There was an intensity, as Percen suspected, when they arrived, though it was different from what he anticipated. Much of the tension was from everyone's reaction to Erwin walking in. His stomach felt like lead, wondering if the meeting was about him. He couldn't really imagine what he had done that would be a problem, so he could only presume that someone had told a dangerous lie, and it was bought. Raphas, the mysterious and pale creature besides the King, seemed to be the only one without a particular stress about his person. He was a very curious person, still. Something about him made Percen feel more nerved.

Percen stopped a few feet short of where Erwin walked towards the king, kneeling on the carpet leading to the throne before Erwin did so and greeted his majesty. He similarly stood a bit after Erwin was bid to by the King. He tensed when he heard the reason for the meeting. Was he really going to be reprimanded for retaliating? At a party of his honor, whilst he was partaking in drink made available for him? Rarely did Percen feel the need to speak up and contradict the King, but this was something he felt was unjust and excessive. Fortunately, his manners held him quiet so the King could express his true intentions- to punish the former Commander of the Royal Guard. That was more surprising, though. To think, again, a party where most every participant was a bit impaired by alcohol, that an impolite outburst would be worthy of such a punishment.

Of course, it was against the law, but no one had seriously been punished for it for a handful of decades. It was a law that seemed irrelevant now, or could be handled privately between the royal and nobility. Percen had never really heard it described as a treasonous act. He understood the logic, and part of him was very pleased that Rudolf would be facing consequences from the crown, and he had lost his rank, though he did agree with his lord, arresting him in addition was a particularly severe penalty.

Raphas felt very differently, going so far as to cut off the prince while he was speaking. He frowned slightly at the disrespect, but his conviction was very clear. If anything, Raphas was truly and totally devoted to the authority of the throne. While Percen didn't think that was specifically what he was devoting himself to, while he was deeply loyal to Levendel's monarchy, the youngest prince was his priority- he couldn't help but relate. Even if he would never agree that the penalty of death was proportionate or necessary.

Percen was wondering, if everything seemed to be decided about Rudolf, why they were called to the meeting at all, instead of having a messenger relay the grim news. It seemed overly formal, but maybe it was a show of respect to Erwin after all he'd done. Fortunately, Erwin seemed just as curious and asked on both their behalves. 58

The real purpose of the meeting nearly knocked Percen on his ass. He assumed that another brother's good friend would ascend, but instead, the king offered the position to Erwin! While it wasn't exactly unheard of for a prince to take the position, particularly a heroic one like Erwin, it was entirely unexpected, even understanding there was a vacancy.

Percen could almost feel in his bones that he'd turn it down, and he wasn't let down, Erwin politely declined. Erwin was not one to turn his back to the battlefield, no matter how lucrative. His heart belonged to the men who fought and shed blood more so than it did to the men who commanded the men to fight. 66

When the king suggested that Erwin choose from his ranks could take the role of Commander of the Royal Guard, Percen felt his palms begin to sweat. In a small amount of hubris he allowed himself, he felt Erwin would suggest Percen. And in front of a council of men like this, before the king himself, he couldn't possibly turn down his sworn lord's most generous offer.

Commanding the Royal Guard was one of the most sought-after position a low noble could hope to aspire to. Staying at the capital, working closely with the highest powers of the kingdom, maintaining peace, partaking in wide strategy and overseeing various aspects of domestic and foreign combat. It was a job Percen felt he'd be good at, and he'd enjoy. However, like Erwin, his was a man whose heart belonged in the field. At least while he was still young and able, he'd dedicate his body entirely to the cause of the kingdom. Besides, given the chance, he wouldn't choose to leave Erwin's side.

To his relief, Erwin didn't speak his name.

---------------------------------------

Percen was characteristically quiet when following Erwin back to the garrison and to his office. It was in slight disarray and there was a good bit of dust on various surfaces. Erwin had to dust his chair before sitting, or rather falling, on it.

"Honestly, my lord? I could not accept the offer," Percen told him honestly. In theory, yes, he wanted the job, but as things were now, he couldn't be satisfied in that position compared to his work now.

"While my body is strong, I won't accept less than serving by my lord's side in battle," He smiled. Even if he never became commander, he knew he'd always be happier serving close to Erwin.

--------------------------------------

Kovi's face lit up when Raphas returned back to the catacombs here. "Good morning, Master Raphas." He greeted, closing his eyes and leaning his head towards his gentle touch. "I'm feeling absolutely wonderful," He told him with a dreamy smile. Kovi's smile dropped a little at the mention of another mission. Again? So soon? He wanted more time with his master before having to hand himself to someone else again. But... it wasn't any more difficult than what he normally did, right? As Raphas said, it was the usual. Infiltrate, approach, seduce, collect... He could do it. And he'd be back here. It didn't matter who the noble was, he'd always been successful.

And then he said his name, and Kovi's face shattered.

"E-erwin...?" His voice waivered. Erwin Aelbrande... third prince... his best friend growing up. The idea of going to him again, having him touch him, looking at his face. His body trembled in Raphas' hold. Erwin... Erwin... he was going to see Erwin again, after all this time. He looked up at Raphas, eyes wide, his soul begging him to let him stay, to keep him in his arms.

"Of course you can, Master Raphas," Kovi told him, his voice as steady as his devotion. If Raphas asked it of him, he would accomplish it no matter what, the threat of death was nothing. He would get Erwin's essence, and he would bring it back. And Raphas would be that much closer to success, and he would be stay at his master's side until the end of his days. "I'll give you Erwin."

Time seemed to have slowed down as Erwin waited for Percen's answer. His heartbeat hastened and he gulped nervously hearing what the knights said, and couldn't help but feel relieved by his refusal. He smiled and scratched his head a bit embarrassed and said: "I was kind of hoping you'd refuse. Thank the Gods!" He laid back in the chair and continued: "If anyone deserves that post it would be you. But I'd be lying if I say I'll be happy to let you go. You're such a integral part of our Sixth Army, losing you would be like removing half of the brain and the heart." Erwin then chuckled lightly and said: "And just to clarify, I'm the other half of that brain. Can't let you take all the credit."

Having made sure of Percen's status Erwin was finally able to think more rationally about the whole situation. He sat up tight once more and looked at Percen asking: "Putting the choice of candidates for the position aside, I want to hear your opinion on the situation. My father has been unceremoniously nice to me ever since we came back, not just the arrest of Rudolf, but also his whole demeanor towards me. The nobles in court would certainly interpret this as I having some sway over my father, or at least has gained significant favor after my recent campaigns. Is my father trying to drag me into the race for the throne? Or potentially be the king-maker?”

Erwin paused for a moment and sighed heavily, he continued: “In any case as long as I’m at the capital, it seems inevitable that I’ll get dragged into politics. Prepare yourself Percen, cause it wouldn't be long before our front door is packed with messenger from them trying to get in touch with me, and along with it all sorts of trouble.”

Raphas smiled as he held Kovi close in his arms and laid a gentle kiss on his soft lips. He caressed the young man’s cheek and said: “I’m sure you’ll succeed. That being said, your friend Erwin isn’t like your other targets who have a harem ripe for infiltration, so you’ll need to be more creative in your approach. The Sixth Army will be staying at the capital for quite some time, during which they’d certainly need cleaners and helpers. Becoming one of them would certainly be the easiest way to get into the garrison. Alternatively, since you’re still Count Vincent’s sex slave on paper, perhaps you can use that to your advantage? If you want I can arrange the count to approach Erwin and give you as a gift? Or maybe you can ‘escape’ from his torment and found yourself at the prince’s doorstep? Or maybe……”

Suddenly Raphas stopped, looking into Kovi's purple eyes he chuckled and said: "Ah look at me lecturing you on infiltration, but you've long surpassed me in this regard. So you just go ahead and do your thing. But do be careful and try to come back fast."

Percen could see a physical change in Erwin's stature, and he thought, for a moment, that the prince seemed relieved that he would stay with him, but he felt a little foolish for thinking that. He got a little sentimental after the night they shared before-

Until Erwin confirmed that he was pleased, and Percen smiled. He knew he was important to Erwin, for a number of reasons, but he was so critical of himself reading too much into their relationship that he wasn't taking that into account. He was valuable to Erwin, at his side. Of course he'd be happy he refused the commander position.

"You flatter me, my lord," Percen responded with as calm a tone as he could muster. His neck was still a little sore, which kept his posture straight instead of turning his gaze away out of bashfulness- a habit from childhood he never fully shook. Half the brain and the heart of the Sixth Army... The most common euphemism was, of course, that he was the right hand. Such praise from the prince, the hero of the kingdom, let alone of their army, almost left him speechless.

"I can't take as much credit as I'm given," He answered. "I'd argue you're more of the heart than I am," He said, his tone growing soft despite him willing it to sound more normal and appropriate.

However, there was still a vacuum in that Commander of the Royal Guard position. Fortunately, it seemed that the king was trusting Erwin with the decision, instead of putting his faith in the other princes again. He doubted, after how last night's trifle became an accusation of treason, that he'd even give them a word on the matter.

"Yes, I've certainly noticed the shift," Percen told him, nodding thoughtfully. There was something in the atmosphere that felt like there was something more than honoring a war hero. Or maybe that was because the change seemed so unexpected and sudden.

"Your father, his majesty, would no doubt feel very blessed if his most honorable son could succeed him." Percen told him after thinking on it for a minute. "Though it would be troublesome on his behalf to push for you over his others, unless you suddenly develop a strong interest in pursuing it yourself." He thought out loud, though as he said it, it seemed a little far-fetched. At least right now, it seemed unnecessary for the king to act for that goal for the time being. King-maker, on the otherhand...

"Not to alarm you, my lord, but it seems very likely that you'd become king-maker by default." He told him. Erwin was easily the most competent and thoughtful of the princes, and at his young age, he already had a considerable list of military achievements. His influence now was nothing to scoff at.

He could only nod in agreement, and hoped the tension in his neck would disappear soon. He had an interest and devotion to politics that Erwin heavily lacked, so he knew it was up to him to really step up and perform to the best of his abilities serving Erwin.

-----------------------------

Kovi parted his lips slightly, just enough to make them soft and relaxed when Raphas kissed him, so he could feel his submission under the kiss. He leaned his face to his palm slightly, looking up at him, smiling as his master encouraged him. He smiled as he took his thoughts into account, imagining various plans where he could infiltrate. It was actually a bit exciting to come up with something new, and made the idea of who is target was a bit more bearable now. But the most enticing plan was for Raphas to help him and convince the count to give him to Erwin. It was likely the quickest way, and Kovi would rather not have to spend days anticipating when he'd have to let Erwin have his body. And he couldn't help but feel it was a little more special with Raphas that involved. Of course, he was sure he could come up with a different plan, where he could avoid seeing the count again...

"I doubt Erwin would be so sympathetic if I were to show up on his door injured," Kovi thought out loud. After all, he was willing to let him die of exposure when they were only children, what was a nameless Flower bleeding on his doorstep but a nuisance?

"Of course, Master... you can trust me. I will bring you back Erwin for your arsenal, and then I'm yours forever, isn't that right?"

Erwin let out a groan hearing Percen agreeing with his assessment. He scratched his head a little frustrated and said: "Politics.... it's the exact thing I got into the army to escape from. But it seems that it has caught up to me after all." Erwin sighed weakly and said: "Well, there's no point in worrying about the unknown when we have pressing matters right in front of us." With that said Erwin stood up from his seat and walked up to Percen. While chuckling he laid his hands on the knight's shoulders from behind and pushed Percen along, setting the knight on his own seat.

"I can't have my second in command running around with a sore neck, can I? And especially since I was the cause of it" Erwin said as he took out the very bottle of herb essence oil they used last night and poured a little on his palm He then laid his hand on Percen's neck, and began to rub the sore muscles with his fingers. He chuckled: "It’s about time we use this for the intended purpose." With a smile he continued the massage, reaching beneath the collar and moved towards to the shoulders as well. After a while the massage was finished Erwin reached out his hand to Percen and smiled: "Come on Percen, let's check up on the men."

"Very well Kovi, I shall arrange the Count to give you to Erwin." Raphas smiled as he turned away and reached out his hand. With a short chant a dark mist suddenly occurred in mid-air, and from it a pair of black skeleton hands emerged holding the scroll of names in their bony fingers, handing it to their master. Once Raphas took the scroll the hands retracted, and along with it the mist vanished. He opened up the scroll and easily found the Count's name at the end of the list. Raphas laid his fingers on the name and closed his eyes. The letters began to let out a strange, unsettling red glow, but it soon faded as he opened his eyes once more. Turning his kaleidoscopic eyes back to the young man Raphas smiled once more and said: "Get your costumes ready Kovi, you're going to a party!"

"Get your suits ready Percen, we're going to a party." Erwin said as he read one of the dozens of invitations he received along with the mountain of gifts. It seemed that the content of that morning's emergency meeting has already spread across the entire capital, and a lot of nobles now seek to gain favor from him. While he decided to ignore all of them and arranged his men to return all the gifts, there was one invitation which he simply could not ignore. He passed the letter to Percen and said: "It's from your parents. They're holding a party and wish we could attend. Ah now now, before you say that I don't have to do this for your family and such and such, I do want to meet your parents in person to thank them for raising such a good son. "

• 2 weeks later...

Percen could hold back a slight smile at Erwin's reaction. It was amusing that someone whose position put him so directly into the crux of most politics hated them so much. Of course, he was the youngest prince, so while he grew up surrounded by it, he wasn't expected to take it up, necessarily. And now here he was, leading armies. If he wanted to avoid politics, there were a good many opportunities he could have followed, though none would take him very far from the capital, the way the business of war often did.

He chuckled, rubbing the side of his neck at the mention of his stiffness. He smiled at the slight reminder from the night before. Maybe because it wasn't as humid as last night, and they weren't as aroused and sensitive, but the oil didn't seem to carry as strong a scent now. Or maybe he had grown accustom to it in the short amount of time.

No wonder it was such a special good worthy of being gifted to the young prince. It certainly did it's job the night before, but as an actual massaging oil, it worked wonders. Erwin's hands gently kneaded his neck and shoulder, and Percen could feel the stabbing pain retraining his head ease away at his touch.

"Thank you so much, my lord." Percen told him. "Who could have guessed you had a talent for such a gentle healing," He thought out loud before Ewrine finished and they stood. He smiled and reached back towards Erwin, nodding.

"Lead the way, and as always, I'll be behind you,"

Kovi smiled broadly up at his master. Just the way he said it, hearing him say it... and knowing he was more involved in the mission made his heart rise. Despite the darkness Raphas commanded, he was the only light in Kovi's life. He watched in silence as dark mist billowed in at Raphas' word, skeletal hands presenting a scroll full of names at Raphas' disposal. They were all names familiar to Kovi. Seeing them on the list really put in perspective just how much he was able to provide to Raphas for his plans. Seeing the list of names in one place made it seem more real. And it made it feel like they were close. The count's name, the freshest one, started to glow in an haunting, unnatural way, almost as if reflecting how Kovi felt about him.

"Right away, Master Raphas!" Kovi told him, lowering his head before running off to retrieve them. A party... costumes... As silly as it was, he really enjoyed being dressed up, and he was excited to go to a party, a real party. Erwin's was the last name they'd most likely need, and the mission was already starting strong, and Kovi was in high spirits. He'd succeed... he could feel it.

"A party, my lord?" Percen asked, his eyebrows raising. It wasn't often that Erwin was more aware of the plans ahead of time than he was, but he saw the letter at hand, and assumed something about the invitation was too enticing to pass up. The stationary seemed familiar, if only due to the distinctive fact that it used a dye to tint the paper- in a shade that hadn't been in fashion for a few years. His step mother was partial to that shade- she seemed to only care for what was fashionable when it already agreed with her tastes. He started to get an inkling as to why it was so tantalizing to the prince.

"My parents... my lord, it is very generous of you to a-." He started. It wasn't that he wouldn't be excited to see his parents, he had a good relationship with them, and it'd been a while since he had seen then in person last. But, as ashamed as he was of it, he found them to be rather embarrassing at times. And a party for the prince, the guest of honor, they would go all out, and truly exhibit their tastes.

The prince knew him well, as that was going to be his first objection to the immediate acceptance of the invitation.

"Very well, my lord. If your heart is set, I am more than happy for you to come to my family home and be the guest of honor for a party thrown by my own parents." He said. "I will gladly prepare the suits."

After giving instructions to the officers regarding the troops settling down in the garrison Erwin began to get prepared for the party to come. He opened up his wardrobe and looked at the collection of suits and thought about what to wear. While one of the benefits for being in the military was the existence of the ceremonial uniform, which was suitable for basically all formal occasions, as a prince he couldn’t really show up wearing the same clothes over and over again. It’s at times like this did Erwin ever miss living in the palace, as there would certainly be servants in charge of choosing the proper clothing for him.

Eventually Erwin picked out a red suit decorated with golden trimmings. He looked into the mirror and was satisfied with how it looked on him. He then walked towards the entrance of the garrison and a carriage was already waiting for them.

Just as Erwin and Percen was about to depart, Count Vincent was in his bedroom where he’d ravaged the poor flower days before, the once proud and arrogant Count was kneeling silently, with his eyes starring blankly in front without a clear focus as if he was in trance or under hypnosis. Suddenly a black mist occurred in the empty space he was starring, and from it Raphas emerged, the mist remained so to allow Kovi to follow behind him. While normally giving an order to those under his control all he had to do was to use the scroll and plant his wishes into the victim’s mind remotely, the commands would take a while to set in. With the party coming quickly Raphas had no choice but to make the command in person.

Raphas looked down upon the latest puppet he acquired and laid his fingers on the nobleman’s forehead and chanted his spells, then moments latter the count stood up from the floor with his eyes in focus once more, but strangely didn’t seems to notice Raphas who was standing right in front of him. He looked around the room and yelled loudly: “Where are you slave!? You better be prepared for the party!”

Percen was of course eager to see his parents again, though the setting wasn't ideal. He wasn't prepared for Erwin to meet them, as silly as it was. He said he wanted to thank them and he could see that quickly devolving into an evening of embarrassing stories that Percen was supposed to be proud of. He wasn't very comfortable when the topics became about him, regardless of the nature of conversation. But Erwin seemed excited, and he couldn't help but feel a bit excited for him as well.

He was less preoccupied with his clothing options, as he had in the back of his mind that he'd wear a dark blue suit. The coat was long and had flat tails, something he knew his step mother would scoff at for being too fashionable, but knew she probably liked. 9

Percen's quarters weren't quite as far from the entrance of the garrison as Erwin, and he got dressed faster, so he stood beside the carriage, waiting for the prince. Some soldiers whistled at him playfully when he walked by, in his dashing red suit. The red made the gold of his hair seem more radiant.

Kovi followed Raphas through the black smog into a familiar bedroom. The smell of sex was still faintly clinging in the air. He wondered if Count Vincent found someone else to torment or if this was remaining from when he was at the count's disposal. The count was kneeling before Kovi's and his shared master, his mind and eyes numb and blank. This was how he should have been from the start, it was such a natural look for him. Rarely did he get to see the fruits of his labors like this, it was greatly satisfying to see the man who had enjoyed brutalizing him so much in such a hollow state.

Raphas placed his hand on the count's face, chanting darkly. There was something returning in the count's eyes. But he wasn't the same man. Count Vincent's personhood belonged to Raphas now. The thought made Kovi smile.

Vincent jumped up and frantically looked about the room, neglecting to notice the 'intruders' for a moment. The tone when he shouted felt very familiar. Kovi stepped out from Raphas' shadowy mists, gently touching his master's arm in a soft farewell and he stepped gingerly to Count Vincent's side.

"Here I am... is my appearance pleasing?" He asked, smiling up at him in a practiced way. He wore a green gown, flowing and sheer, that covered his wrists to his ankles, covering a revealing blue ensemble underneath that seemed to exist just for modesty's sake. His now flawless skin would no doubt go unnoticed. Part of him wanted part of Vincent to notice, to be sad that his marks vanished from his skin. It was another small victory Kovi had. Raphas took his injuries and cuts and scars and Vincent became a pawn in exchange.

He only needed one more victory over the type of man who's brutalization of him lead to their own demise. And it would be his tonight.

"It's unusual for someone of my kind to be allowed into a grand party for nobility," He mused out loud, keeping the soft, sickly sweet tone. "Thank you for bringing me with you, Master..."

Erwin smiled and greeted the soldiers who waved and whistled at him, and in return he winked and blew a few kisses playfully before walk towards the carriage laughing. As expected Percen was already waiting for him, and he walked up to the knight and smiled: "Now we're all dressed up let's get moving. Don't want to keep your parents waiting."

Once the two of them got inside the carriage began to move, travelling down the busy streets of the capital city. With both defense and social hierarchy in mind, the walls of the capital were designed to be a series of concentric circles with the palace at its center, surrounded by mansions of the nobles, then merchant district and finally with the commoners inhabiting the outer rim. The sixth army's garrison was located near the outer walls, so they'd have to bear with the all crowds and traffic jams, which was especially true in the merchant area. Erwin looked at the people who have just concluded their day of work and were heading to restaurants and bars for the night, and was glad to see the genuine smiles on people's faces.

Eventually the carriage crossed the gate towards the noble area, even though the amount of traffic here is far less than the merchant district, the streets here were much wider and better paved. As the sky slowly darkened the street lamps began to light up. The carriage sped up, and it wasn't long before they arrived at the Gorneira family mansion.

“Ah! There you are!” The count exclaimed as he saw Kovi emerge from behind Raphas who he didn’t seem capable of noticing. His examined the young Flower from top to toe as if checking a merchandise and said: “Yeah you look good. It’s about the only thing your pathetic race is good at.” He chuckled at Kovi’s question and said: “Yes it is unusual, which is exactly why you’d be a fine gift to the prince.” Yet despite what he said the count seemed to be not satisfied, and thinking and groaning for a moment he got to a large chest near the bed, which Kovi would recognize as the place the Count kept all his toys and instruments of torture. Moments latter he returned with a metal collar with a long chain attached to it, and locked the thing around Kovi’s neck.

“Now that’s better!” The count said with satisfaction, and began to pull on the chains as he began to walk out of the room, right before Raphas smiled and waved farewell to Kovi.

With Kovi quite literally on a leash the count walked down the halls of his mansion and yelled for his servants to prepare his carriage. While some looked at the suddenly re-appeared, and seemingly well healed slave with some suspicion, they knew better than to comment on it and get themselves into trouble. Soon they got to the door and their ride was waiting.

Percen smiled as he saw Erwin playfully returning the jest flirtations around him. He often wondered if people would compare them, and wonder why the prince would keep a stoic and meticulous man like Percen at his side when he himself was so joyful.

"Certainly not," Percen agreed, following him into the carriage, a big grin on his face. The prince was certainly handsome in his choice of suit, and the way the setting sunlight created a flattering hue on his natural coloring.

The capital city, for all it's bustling and messy politics, it was perhaps Percen's favorite place in the world. It was home. He did feel he was better suited for the travel the army brought, living simply, keeping mind of his surroundings and necessities. Making sure everything was deliberate and little excess. But here, where it was loud and crowded and full of wares and luxuries, it made him almost feel guilty he didn't miss home more when he was gone. It was somewhat a relief when they returned, it was like an old childhood friend to him. He may have little in common with the capital, but it was comforting, they had history.

"What is on your mind, my lord?" He asked him, noticing his expression while he looked out the window at the crowds of people receding from their work.

The carriage started to carry more smoothly once they passed the well-monitored bridge towards the noble districts. His home wouldn't be far now, his family home was not too far from the bridge entrance itself. Carriage rides felt a little unnatural to him when there was smooth pavement beneath them, he was so used to uneven terrain.

The carriage came to a slow. It made him quite excited that he'd be seeing his parents again. And they were keeping another child for a season while her parents were away to a foreign ally for trade agreements. He presumed the child must be young, if they didn't want to bring her along, though he doubted his parents would be interested in babysitting someone who was too dependent on them. His stepmother, when his father and her first married, once teased him and said he was the deciding factor in the marriage, since he was so quiet and kept to himself. Apparently, if he had been troublesome, she would have agreed to another suitor.

He stepped out of the carriage, and looked up at the mansion as if it had been years since he last saw it.

------------------------------------------------------

Kovi forced himself to smile when the count addressed him. Something dreadful in his tone made him so uneasy, even after his years of practice of suppressing his hatred of his 'patrons', it was difficult with this man. He looked over his body, barely concealed with the sheer layer over his skin. Kovi was curious if the count would approve. On one hand, the party was going to be an event for nobility, and appearances were everything. Bringing a pleasure slave like him so exposed could be seen as tactless. On the other hand, Kovi knew this was the mental image most had of Flowers like him, and it might be expected, if he were to be there at all. The count came to the latter conclusion.

Though he said that, he stared a bit more, scrutinizing him. He wondered if he might decide to have one last play with him before giving him up, particularly when he went to his toy chest, and rummaged around. It was large and filled to the brim, but Kovi was familiar with almost everything in it at this point. He couldn't even guess what he might be looking fore. He was a little relieved when it was just a shackle. He lowered his head, expectantly, when Count Vincent put the collar over his neck. It was quite cold, but he didn't flinch. There was a small click, locking it around him, and he lifted his head again.

The man seemed pleased now, having his prize on a leash, and with a commanding tug, he led him out of the room. Kovi looked back over at Raphas, who was still in the room, watching. He waved, and Kovi was filled with courage. He gave him a subtle nod, and followed the count down the hall. There were a number of servants who gave him odd stares. With his body so exposed, it was easy to tell that something was off. His body was completely unmarred despite the abuse and torture many of them had seen the aftermath of. He felt a little prideful at their suspicious stares, and nervous silence. He was whole, and he was perfect, because of Raphas. Nothing could hurt him, not for long.

The air was cold, but it didn't bother Kovi too much, his eyes were fixated on the carriage waiting ahead, and he knew he was close. He couldn't mind the weather when he was soon going to face his greatest challenge, and he'd be meeting Erwin again. He'd be seducing him. And he'd ruin him.

While still on the carriage, Erwin's attention turn back to the knight sitting across from him when he heard the question. He smiled slightly and said: "Ah, nothing, just thinking how happy those people looked after a day of work. Only wish more people outside of these walls could be the same."

Soon they arrived at the Gorneira family mansion. With Percen's father being a wealthy merchant before getting the noble title, the mansion looked more lavish than those belonging to nobles of the same rank, and perhaps even exceeded some of higher stature. By the time they arrived there was already a substantial crowd of nobles who've got there before them, most likely wanting to form connections with Erwin. He waved his head weakly and whispered to Percen: "Why on't you go meet your parents while I deal with these nuisances?"

By the time the Count’s carriage arrived at the Gorneira mansion the party has already been going on for a while, which was intentional on the Count’s (or more precisely, Raphas’) part, since he wanted Kovi’s entrance to be in full view of all the party guests. When the count stepped off the carriage with a slave on a leash everyone gasped, out of shock and also a fair amount of disgust. Even though owning a Flower slave isn’t unheard of, in fact it was quite common among the nobility of the capital, and the Count’s tendency to bloat and show off his exploits was certainly not news, actually bringing a Flower slave to occasions such as these was certainly unheard of.

Despite the disgusted gasps however, the nobles can’t get their gazes off the beautiful Flower slave, as everything about him seemed to emanate beauty and lure, effective to men and women equally. The lithe, sensual figure lured their appetite with every move, made the more exotic by the dark skin made just visible enough by the revealing green gown. While the more private parts of his body was covered by that blue ensemble underneath, it only made the onlooker more curious to what’s hidden underneath. His long black hair waved with the night breeze, and those jewel like purple eyes glittered with hypnotizing light. The Flower himself was enough to mesmerize those nobles, and the fact that he had a chained collar around his neck only made their imagination go wilder, as they can only imagine how would it be like owning such a beautiful slave themselves.

Eventually though the nobles were able to snap out of their trance before they embarrass themselves too much, and some proceeded to approach the Count asking about his slave, to which he replied: “A hero deserves the best gift there is.”

(feel free to control the Count to approach Erwin if you like, as he’d follow Kovi’s command.)

"I agree," Percen looked out the window. It was a rather mundane scene, once Percen was familiar with, so it didn't quite impact him the same. He never really considered how happy everyone was until Erwin pointed it out. "That's why we do the work we do, isn't it? Certainly not for the pay,"

Percen was starting to feel very excited. It had been a good while since he'd last seen his parents. Unlike his lord, he enjoyed parties, so he was also was excited to see them in one of theirs. They weren't particularly considered the most noteworthy when it came to noble ranking, but everyone knew his parents. His stepmother was notorious for scandal even before marrying beneath the noble social circle. 'Crossing the bridge'- referring to the great bridge that separated the noble's district- became a euphemism for anyone intentionally provoking a norm ever since.

They also threw the grandest parties. Some nobles would later talk around finger desserts and mock certain aspects, to be sure- such as his mother's choice of entertainment, or themed foods- but these were more often than not the same ones who danced the most and gorged themselves. At least from Percen's perspective.

So everyone came to his parents' parties. Even the prince, the hero, would come on such short notice! Percen was sure Erwin would refuse, however, if it weren't for his right hand man. Erwin disliked parties, and had a level of patience drained from him from the large party the night before. But still, that's not how everyone would see it.

"Very well," Percen agreed. He couldn't help but think his parents would be a little disappointed if he sought them without the prince at his hip, but he knew they were just as excited to see him. "I will seek you out again shortly, they'll be dying to meet you as well." He told him, smiling, and giving him a confirming nod, before vanishing into the crowds to find his parents.

--------------------------------------------------

Kovi followed the Count closely into the mansion. It was certainly boisterous, with the crowds visible through the tall windows and the sounds of music and chatter were dulled, but somewhat audible, as they drew closer. He realized that the Victor intentionally showed up late, so the entire district could see the prize he had on a leash, what was being presented to their hero, a performance for his own ego.

Everyone about on the courtyard quietened a bit as the Count stepped down, and they noticed a chain in his hand. He was known for having particularly vicious hunting dogs, so if he brought it as a gift for the guest of honor, it wouldn't be a very well-suited gift, particularly not Erwin, and the judgement almost set in their eyes until Kovi stepped out. The mere whispers halted almost at once, an echo of gasps and scoffs filled the quiet evening. Kovi could feel a thickness in the air, all the eyes on him. He was almost overwhelmed. He hadn't been the center of attention from this many people - and all nobility!- since he was a child. Since his banishment. And the feeling was the same. But their gazes were entirely different from then.

There was not an ounce of pity or remorse here, for one. And the bewilderment entwined with their disgust of him when they looked upon his lithe, immodest form. There was something entirely new that didn't exist when he was a child, however. And that was the longing, the desire. Kovi would never understand how they could hate something so badly and relish in it at the same time. When he hated someone, he wanted to be far away- when he could, outside of Raphas' mission. But people like the ones here shackles the people they hated to their beds. He tried not to look around too much, knowing how much that would displease his current holder. He would prefer not to be bearing any marks before being given to Erwin. But now, he seemed happy to boast about the flower he was bringing the war hero to those who approached.

Kovi couldn't help but get a good read on how they looked at him. Beyond disgust, beyond jealousy, there was a sick, twisted admiration. Kovi didn't truly understand how beautiful he was to others. How a stunning flower like him on a chain was the bed fantasy of half the people there. He felt no matter if he was disfigured, Raphas would love him just as intently, and that might as well be the case to him. To him, it made no difference if the people here thought he was alluring and exotic, it all registered as unfiltered hatred. All that look felt like to him was a warning.

He'd never been so scared as he was this night. He remembered how Raphas waved to him. That was the first time Raphas was in that room with him like that. He saw how the Count talked to him, looked at him, and reveled in putting a shackle and chain on his neck like an unruly animal. He watched how dehumanized Kovi would let himself be, and he still smiled and waved. Still could give him courage to do the right thing tonight. No one loved him more than Raphas. And Kovi would rather let every person here rape him than fail him now.

The Count found Erwin quickly once inside, in his dashing and vibrant suit, at a moment where he was surrounded by a few notable people. A perfect, up close audience. All their eyes studied Kovi, his dark, flawless skin seemed misplaced next to a man notorious for his sadism and cruelty, even outside the bedroom. But they all seemed mesmerized by his shamelessness, compared to their full bodied adornments and clothes, he could have very well been presented naked. It would be just as expected and reasonable for a Flower here, anyway.

Kovi only had eyes for the prince.

"Prince Erwin... what an honor it is to meet you again at last," He said as he greeted, lowering his head in respect, and smiled. It had been a while since they spoke last. Erwin was still in military training and the Count barely paid him any mind. He didn't remember this much, just that they had met once before. "We here are all greatly humbled by your presence, after such magnificent feats done in the name of the kingdom."

Kovi, not minding his manners, only stared at Erwin. He was so different now, he was so grown up now. He looked like a prince. He looked regal and elegant. He had the same gentle eyes as when they were kids. How could that be, a man with the blood of countless Flowers caked to him, still have the thoughtful, gentle eyes of a child? He wondered if you were born with they eyes you had, and the person you become couldn't impact it.

"And, if this honours you, I would like to offer you a small tribute," He said, giving Kovi a light tug to indicate he should walk forward. Kovi was grounded in reality again, and with each step forward he took, he lowered his eyes further to the ground. This was it... if Erwin recognized him... he was going to die.

(I hope this is alright?)

"You go ahead and take your time with your family." Erwin waved goodbye to Percen as he headed for the group of nobles closing in on him. Soon he was pretty much surrounded on all sides, and in some ways he was even more uncomfortable now than he was last night, since the flattery from the nobles seemed to have gotten worse, their favor seeking has became so blatant as they sensed the shift of power in court. But Erwin was able to play the part of the elegant and heroic prince perfectly since his attendance of Percen's parents' party would certainly help them in the social circles, and in terms, help out Percen in the long run. So even just for the sake of his loyal second in command, he'd entertain the party guests.

As the party went on and Erwin was waiting Percen to get the cavalry (aka his parents) to get him out of the flattery surround, his attention was drawn to the commotion coming from the entrance. He turned towards the source and as soon as he saw the Flower slave being lead on a leash by a nobleman he was struck by a pain in his heart. It was a pain which he had felt countless times during his northern campaign when he battled the Flower people, whenever he saw a glimpse a resemblance to his long lost friend. But this time the pain was so much worse, as the resemblance between the man in front of him and the boy in his memory was almost uncanny. Erwin quickly shook off the thought however since he knew it was unlikely Kovi survived his exile, and even if he there was no way he would be here at the capital, let alone getting into a party like this. As the pain of the past subsided Erwin was able to look at the present once more, and observed the young Flower more closely. Even among the countless Flowers Erwin had met, this particular young man seemed to stand out, indeed like a flower luring all the bugs and birds around it with its scent, color and form. But his sympathy and guilt towards the Flower people prevented him from viewing the slave just as a play thing. He was another victim of the Kingdom's and Erwin's own crimes.

Yet despite all these Erwin couldn't help but keep his gaze fixated on the Flower slave, and it was not just due to his beauty but something he saw in those eerily familiar purple eyes. Obviously there was fear and hatred towards his captives, which given his current predicament as a slave was quite natural, but also what Erwin could only interpret as determination, to do what he hadn't the faintest idea, but so strong that he was able to stand firm under the countless vicious eyes of scrutiny.

Surprisingly the nobleman holding the Flower slave’s leash began to walk towards Erwin directly, and he greeted the prince in a manner like an old friend reuniting. While Erwin had only a very vague impression their meeting, the reputation of the Count was notorious enough to reach his ears even when he was far away from the capital. Nevertheless Erwin shook the count’s hand and smiled: “Yes, Count Vincent. It’s been a while.” As expected the usual flattery soon came, all the while he could feel the gaze of the leashed slave on his face. He was caught off guard however when the count explained why he had brought the beautiful slave to the party.

“A....tribute?” Erwin said dumb-founded. Ever since the victorious return, Erwin was offered gifts ranging from expensive jewelry to entire estates. While some he gracefully received, others he had declined, and slaves were among the latter. Putting the morality of slave owning aside, Erwin never felt the need to own one, not to mention all the complications of actually keeping a slave.

“Thank you for your generous offer, Count Vincent, but........ I’d have to decline your gift.” Erwin said.

“Is this slave not to your liking?” The count asked hurriedly: “Forgive my bloating but I think this must be the most beautiful Flower slave in the Kingdom! And his skill in bed would put even the most seasoned slut to shame...:

Erwin replied as he tried his best to not appear rude: “Yes he is indeed very beautiful. And I’ll take your word regarding his...skills... But the truth I simply don’t have a use for a slave. As the commander of the sixth army I have the soldiers to take care of the menial works, and...... I also have someone for matters in bed.”

“I see....” The count said as he lowered his head, clearly depressed by the turn of events. “If you would not accept my tribute, then this slave have no use to me anymore.” As the count said coldly he suddenly pulled on the leash to draw the Flower slave close, and took out a dagger out of nowhere. “I guess I’ll just cut him to pieces and feed him to my hounds!” The nobles around him screamed in horror at the sudden turn of events, and it would seem like the Count was about to stab the slave at any moment.

“Count Vincent!” Erwin exclaimed as he grabbed the Count’s hand holding the dagger. The gazes of Erwin and they just stared at each other silently for a while. Then Erwin finally broke the silence and said: “On second thought perhaps.... perhaps the sixth army can use an extra hand cleaning the garrison.... I’m sure he is capable of house work as well?” Hearing this the count smiled as he put away the dagger, and handed the leash to Erwin saying: “Of course my prince. Of course!” Seemingly satisfied the Count said farewell to Erwin and the startled nobles around them and walked away. After the count disappeared from his sight Erwin sighed in relief. He looked at the leash in his hand, and then at the beautiful slave now in his possession. He turned to the nobles and smiled apologetically: “Please excuse me for a moment.”

With that said Erwin began to lead the slave out of the party. Luckily Erwin managed to find one of the guest rooms near the party hall and slipped in, locking the door behind them. “Don’t be afraid, I’m not going to hurt you.” Erwin said as he reached for the collar around the slave’s neck, and with a little tinkering the thing came off easily. Erwin threw the collar to the side and asked: “What’s your name?”

Percen gave him a grateful nod before departing. He was sure his parents were looking forward to meeting the prince. They hadn't seen him since this latest campaign, his most noteworthy yet. But they'd have to make due with their only child. He had a large smile on his face as he sought them out in the crowd. Everyone seemed to be here. Perhaps everyone had the idea that the prince would agree to attend a party of the parents of his right hand man.

Unexpectedly, they found him before he could find them.

"Percen!" A familiar maternal voice called out, one filled with such love that you would think she was crying out to a child she bore herself for nine months. "Percen, my lovely boy!" the lady cried out to him even as he was making his way to them. Lady Theodora Gorneira stood with her impressive five feet and nine inches, her stouter husband beamed besides her. Percen bowed formally, not out of respect to his parents, though it might make sense towards his step mother, who was born in status. He did it as an act to mess with her, as she had a particular distaste for manners. She didn't seem to care in this particular moment, however. 16

"My lovely boy! Oh, you don't know how I've missed you!" She hugged him and kissed his cheek. He noticed there was an odd residue left on his cheek. He frowned a little.

In one of her letters, she mentioned she found in one of her girl's diaries about the time her mother told her a story about her youth. Before they had lip stains that dried and didn't stray from the mouth, their makeups would smudge and move about anything that touched them. So kissing was a risky game, as lip creams were often bespoke and had tints very distinct to the girl. But at one point, it became a bit of a game, for girls to brazenly announce their preference in suitors by kissing them on the cheek. Boys, of course, would begin to boast about these marks, and as the riling of youth goes, this escalated from classless but youthful fancies to brawls over honor and future hopes. Naturally, the young ladies of the time did little to soothe things, as they too were young and didn't particularly care about the womanly status they were supposed to inherent, and should be healing conflict, and they would use their special marks to spur certain boys or to encourage certain events.

She wrote about how, at the time, it was one of the funniest things she ever heard. Even her diary was hard to read in places, as she was laughing so hard while writing her feather would hardly keep steady! Percen should have guessed that this would mean she would adopt a reckless fashion from decades past.

Percen did notice, however, that his father didn't bear the kiss mark, though. And by the chuckle he gave when he saw it on Percen, he knew the story behind it. So she saved it for him. That made him feel a little special.

"Do you know what it's like to always get letters of the dry, mundane details regarding the travels and supplies and statistics of war, while everyone else is talking of what a hero your son is? About the exploits he omits from his letters home?" His father playfully scolded, and held him tightly in his thick arms for a minute.

"Glad to have you back in one piece, son." He told him, a heavy tone in his voice. His father was always the type to fret, and Percen always was sure to mention in his letters that he was unharmed- or at the very least, whole- or else he was sure his father would imagine he was hiding the fact that he was now without a limb.

--------------------

'Tribute'... Kovi knew that was why he was here, but the word didn't seem right applied to him. He'd never been given to someone as a tribute before, as he was either sold directly, or had a story to justify himself- such as left behind by another master who grew bored of him, or running away from cruelties or death- once even injuring himself, mutilating himself shallowly with a blade, and even breaking his leg, for a Lord of considerable stature and heart big enough to spare sympathy for a Flower, to take him in and nurture him long enough to be seduced.

Even 'gift' seemed like it would fit him more. Or 'trinket'. But a 'tribute'... had something important attached to it, in a way. While it was most likely that Count Vincent was likely just using grandiose language, but he couldn't help but think that Raphas had put that word into his mouth, as if he was telling Kovi how important he was here. And hew knew it, he knew the significance he was playing in history on this night.

He kept his eyes on Erwin, evaluating his expression. Kovi thought he'd suspect that Kovi was intended for him, but Erwin seemed too surprised to have even entertained the idea. While Kovi never experienced, he knew Flowers weren't uncommon gifts. Once on a mission he laid with a pair of twins who were a wedding gift. But Erwin didn't even entertain the idea of accepting for barely a moment. Kovi knew there was no way the Count would be accepting that as an answer.

He tried to make his expression softer, and more inviting to Erwin. He wanted to seem enticing, though he wasn't sure what would appeal to him. In Kovi's experience, it was harder to seduce someone on his looks and availability if their hatred of Flower people extended to even using them. And Erwin slaughtered them for his notoriety. Though he had no doubt that the prince and his men would have their fill after ravaging a people, having a 'willing' slave might have little appeal, as all the fantasies of torturing and raping Flowers he'd partaken in, that paled to the real experience. At least he hoped.

He let his eyes falter a little, let his posture pull in and seem more reserved, but he couldn't fully pull his eyes off his prince. His prize. Something about the refusal irritated him. Erwin didn't realize that he was a luxury, he wasn't turning down a menial worker or a mistress. Kovi was something he had never experienced. And he'd prove it... so long as the Count didn't fail Raphas.

Kovi gasped softly when the leash was given such a sharp yank, pulling him closer, and bending him down, so his head was level with the Count's elbow. His eyes widened at the sight of the dagger, pointed haphazardly to his face, to gesture to his entire being, but not in so deliberate away that he might not be hurt by the careless brandishing. Cut into pieces... Even the screams around him seemed silent compared to the anguish in his own mind, though his jaw tightened determinedly. He knew he could die here, he thought it would be by Erwin's hand, but he knew it. He hadn't accepted it, of course, but he understood it. How could he really accept death when all he could want was to see Raphas until his final breath? So the idea that the knife was ready to pierce his skin, plunge into his organs, ready to slice him and gut him, to butcher him into nothing but meats for his dogs... It was sickening. It was too much to bear. He never feared pain, not when he knew he had Raphas to return to, and he didn't exactly fear death. But it was unbearable to imagine how his body would be desecrated, and how Raphas would never be able to see him again, even if he were dead, that he wouldn't ever be touched by Raphas again...

Raphas... please don't mourn me yet. You have so much to do... you'll be able to mourn for me when you've accomplished everything, when the land is yours, so please don't let me be a distraction. I don't regret a seco-

Erwin interrupted the hand that held Kovi's doom as quickly as he quieted Kovi's mind. Kovi felt his heartbeat pounding in his ears, a thudding, aching sound. But the knife was gone, and he would live.

The leash was relaxed when it was handed to Erwin and Kovi was able to stand upright again. His expression was rather dumbfounded, in awe that it was Erwin, certainly the man who would have, directly or otherwise, led to his death tonight if the fates would have it, was the one who saved him. Seems it was his reputation, and the audience, that determined how he treated a Flower. By the screams of protest, enough people would rather not see such a macabre end to even someone like Kovi that Erwin would interfere, while he would let him die in the woods as a child since the court decided it just.

Erwin dismissed himself and lead Kovi away, and he was still too stunned to really process what was happening, and why. He could only really wonder if he'd really be put to clean the garrison. Of course he was capable of housework, but making him only available to his men only interfered with Raphas' plans... that wouldn't do.

He was led into an empty room, dark, with only lights from the night sky and outdoor lit decoration from the window casting a dim light on everything. He heard a distinctive clicking sound of a door being locked. He looked over his shoulder, but Erwin was still there with him. He thought maybe he was being locked away out of convenience. Rarely was he assured that someone would not hurt him. Rarer still was when that promise was held true.

The fresh air around his neck when he removed the shackle felt tighter for a brief second before he drew a breath. He frowned a little and touched his neck, as if in a daze.

"I-it's Aello, Master..." He told him, a practiced tear fell beneath his eye. Kovi forgot the name he initially prepared, and instead chose the word from his language meaning 'to breathe'. It wasn't a name, but Erwin wouldn't know that. "Thank you for saving me... I-I thought he was going to really kill me... I-I really thought h-he was go-..." He told him with an unpracticed gratefulness. For a moment, before he was aware enough to be embarrassed of himself, he felt like a child who could still look up to his older brother.

After leaving Kovi in the hands of Erwin, the Count quickly left the scene of the party and headed back to his mansion. At the same time Raphas has also returned to his secret lair and ceased his direct control over the count. It was him who quite literally controlled the Count like a puppet and aimed the dagger against Kovi. To be frank he wouldn't mind too much if he killed the Flower on the spot, as the utter shock and despair in Kovi's eyes would certainly be quite a treat. But to Raphas' slight dismay, Erwin proved to be much more sympathetic than he first thought which allowed Kovi to successfully approach him, so everything went according to plan.

That being said, something about the seemingly just and naive prince made Raphas uneasy. He had that feeling when he first saw Erwin in court when he returned, and it only gotten worse with each subsequent meeting, even indirectly through the Count's eyes. It was something that made Raphas uncomfortable, an instinctual rejection, which made it more important that Kovi should succeed in his mission, to seduce the prince and plant the root for his spell in the prince's body, and bring back his essence so he could become the most important puppet of all.

"Aello? That's a pretty name, has a lovely sound to it.My name is Erwin Aelbrande, technically a prince, and also the commander of the Sixth army." Erwin smiled gently at the Flower's self introduction. Erwin approached cautiously as he tried his best not to threaten the poor Flower slave in anyway, and held the other's hand: "It's okay Aello, it's okay. You're safe now..... Even though it's probably a bit ironic for someone like me to say things like this, as I'm not exactly known for being kind to your people."

Erwin smiled weakly as he looked around the room, finding no chairs to sit on he lead Aello to sit on the edge of the bed, but remained on foot and leaned on the wall himself. He looked down at the rather sensually dressed Flower. Under the dim moonlight the young man now seemed almost otherworldly beautiful, having an almost supernatural lure which left Erwin mesmerized for a brief moment. But the immense guilt of his distant and recent past prevented Erwin from sinking into Aello's temptation.

Erwin thought about the Flower people's current situation. As far as he knew almost all Flower people within the borders of Levendel were slaves, often forced to work in brothels or as personal slaves of wealthy merchants or nobles. Those too old for such line of work were usually re-sold and spend the rest of their short lives in remote plantations or mines. A few years ago Erwin might have offered to send Aello across the border up north to join the Flower clans there, but after his northern campaign that option became more complicated to say the least. After a heavy sigh he said: "To be honest I'd love to set you free right now, but you'd only end up captured and enslaved once more. So as I said to the count I'll keep you in the garrison as a helper for the time being. And once things gets quiet along the border I'll send you abroad. Does it sound okay to you?"

Percen nearly made his way towards where heard a good deal of commotion. He didn't really get a good look- his parents held his attention move than the showing off of nobility- until the whispers around him became gasps and screams. He really only got a clear look as Erein was walking away, a hand on a leash attached to a Flower. Percen frowned at that, and saw Count Vincent putting away a dagger. His urge was to follow Erwin, but the count was clearly integral to the disquiet, and the fact he was making a rather hasty exit after just arriving was suspicious as well. But in the end, he chose Erwin, as he always would.

A Flower slave was an unusual gift, though not unexpected, provided the circumstance were were different. But to give one to Erwin was ill fitting for a number of reasons. For one, slaves didn't have a great number of uses when someone commanded the sixth Army, he had more than enough men. And someone as slight as the Flower probably wasn't abled enough for most types of labor, and he had a good guess as to how Count Vincent was serviced, and Percen knew it was not a service Erwin was wanting for.

----------------------------------------------

Kovi want used to hearing compliments about his language. He sounded sincere but there was no reason for him to be. Kovi wondered why he was bothering with flattering him at all, though. Erwin was not trustworthy, he was after something... Something he felt he couldn't get just by merely owning him. He wanted to reply that he already knew exactly who Erwin was, but didn't trust himself, even with all his training, to keep the facade when saying such a thing. Some venom would leak out.

He only smiled sweetly when Erwin took his hand, almost like he was trying to seem cautious. The sweet small smile quickly dropped at the 'reminder'... He didn't need to be told about Erwin's violence towards his people. His eyes dropped to the floor, almost embarrassed by how easily Erwin made him crack.

"You don't need to assure me of anything," Kovi told him softly, looking back up again. Erwin lead him into the bed, something that felt a bit sudden but certainly not unwelcome, but then Erwin stepped away once he seated Kovi.

Kovi didn't know what to expect, but he slowly parted his legs as Erwin stared at him. It was dark in the room but he was familiar with that gaze, even this subtle. It wasn't exactly rare for people to want to take him very soon after they acquire him, but it was still a bit surprising for Erwin, though Kovi was a bit happy to get started as soon as possible, no matter how quickly Erwin might withdraw the promise that he was safe here.

Kovi found the idea of staying in the garrisom really discomforting. He, of course, didn't turn his nose up at the idea when it was the option ahead of him in lieu of a dagger in his neck. But the less time he spent specifically with Erwin, the more difficult and time-consuming the mission would become. He stood up from the bed and took a tentative step towards the prince, letting a slight pout stick from his mouth.

"Have I really displeased you so much already?" He asked him softly. "You've barely touched me... Have I done something wrong, Master?" He tried to sound as small and timid as he could. For whatever reason, he seemed sympathetic to him. He saved him from being slaughtered at the party, and he assumed if he acted needy enough now, he'd get some sort of reaction.

Realizing his attitude must be rather confusing to the Flower slave, Erwin showed a bitter smile and said: “I guess I’m a bit different from what you’re used to.... Don’t worry Aello, you haven’t done anything wrong. You’re beautiful, possibly the most beautiful thing I’ve ever since. But I didn’t save you from the count to.... “touch” you. I saved you cause.......”

Erwin paused as he looked at the purple eyes which seemed to be casting a spell on his very soul to lure it away, and struggled to come up with the words to say. Obviously he saved the Flower because his morality could not let him stand by and watch innocent blood being spilled. There was also the guilt, not only to the Flower people, but also the the friend who he could not save so many years ago. But even he realized the hypocrisy of it when he had just returned from an unjust war against the very same people. But such things were not matters to be discussed with strangers.

Erwin shook his head slightly and said: “Ah it doesn’t matter why. Just think of it as a prince’s peculiar impulse. I mean... aristocrats often do unreasonable and stupid things right? What matters is that I don’t intend to sleep with you. I’m not that obsessed with that sort of things anyway. I wanted to take you to my garrison just to protect you from being caught by slavers again.”

Erwin put his hands on Aello’s shoulders and set the Flower back on the bed and said: “I need to get back to the party now, my friend must be looking for me. Just wait here and I’ll come pick you up afterwards.” With that said Erwin patted Aello lightly and was about to head for the door.

Kovi nodded a little, smiling, when Erwin assured him he hadn't done anything wrong, which was exactly what he expected. He also put on his best bashful smile when Erwin gave him such empty praise, and gave him the slightest look of disappoint when he said that he didn't take him to touch him. He watched Erwin carefully, he wasn't like many of his other targets, he wasn't that easy to figure out, and he needed to be cautious in how he acted, lest he fall into ineffective seduction tactics and end up turning him off of him. It was very hard to recover after a poor first impression.

But understandably, he saved him more out of compassion than to bed him, or he would have accepted him outright. It seemed odd that compassion was the motivator for the war hero, considering he was gifted to him as tribute because he was celebrated for slaughtering Flowers. But it wasn't something Kovi couldn't handle. He thought Erwin would have been relatively easy, though, appealing to a man's violent sexual urges was the easiest for him. When men hated Flowers, they tended to also want to ravish them.

Erwin may not fit that archetype though, he certainly didn't act like it. He was very curious, that was for certain. Kovi raised a brow a little at the excuse that he was simply just fickle and acting on a peculiar impulse. That wasn't exactly acceptable, but he was careful to be sure that his facial expression only seemed puzzled.

"...you'll protect me?" He asked in a soft whisper, eyes wide in practiced bewilderment. When he exhaled, his body seemed to relax and become smaller naturally. He wasn't too worried about Erwin wanting to release him with the northern tribes once things were safe, he was going to work quicker than that, as it would take a few months. That was more than enough time, no matter how adamant Erwin was about not sleeping with him. But if Erwin wanted to protect him, and really wanted to make sure he was safely back with his people- which he didn't really have anymore, he had Raphas now- then Kovi had a better feel as to how he could work himself under Erwin's skin. Keep himself vulnerable...

"Wait by myself..." He repeated sadly, just loud enough to be heard. He figured it wouldn't hurt to be just a little clingy, either, like he had already imprinted strongly on the first person to show him kindness in a long time. He let himself be guided gently back on the bed, making his natural body's resistance an absolute minimum. Kovi was just about to reach for Erwin's hands as he pulled away, when there was an abrupt knock at the door just as the prince started to turn for it.

"My lord..." A muffled voice from the other side of the door sounded. "Erwin. Erwin, is everything alright?" Another sharp knock.

"Yes, I'll protect you, to the best of my ability.“ Erwin smiled when Aello seemed to be relieved by his words of assurance. As the Flower exhaled the Flower seemed to have shrunk a size right in front of Erwin's eyes, making him looking even more fragile and strangely, enticing. For some, it meant to conquer and ravish, and for Erwin, to protect. The sad mutter coming from Aello certainly did not escape Erwin's attention, and he'd love to stay by the Flower's side for a bit longer. But he attended the party for a reason, to fulfill the social obligation he owed Percen's family.

And just as he was about to say more words of comfort, a familiar voice came from outside the room. "Don't worry, it's a friend." Erwin said gently before going to the door and opened it for his trusted friend, and his expression immediately brightened: "Hey Percen, sorry for vanishing from the party. But as you can see........." Erwin shifted to the side so Percen could get a look inside the room and showed an apologetic smile: "Things got a bit complicated."

Erwin explained the what he had in mind for the unfortunate Flower then said: "Sorry about making the decision without consulting you first. But I think it's the best thing to do at this point....." He looked up at Percen almost like a child being caught for a prank and asked: "You're okay with it right?"

Kovi gave him a relieved smile at the promise. Erwin's smile made him feel odd, it was a little too genuine. But he did a fine job of appearing genuine himself, he could see the way his demure and grateful body language was affecting the young prince. But Kovi didn't get the idea that he was quite aroused by him yet. He was normally quite patient, but when it came to spending time with Erwin, he wanted to get it over with as soon as possible. So if he really had to plan and play it slowly, seduce him in a convincing way, it would be a bigger problem. But why did Erwin seem so reluctant to just have him as intended?

He, of course, wanted Erwin to hear how sad he sounded to be left alone, but he knew Erwin would still leave. But now he'd feel a bit bad for doing so, and be thinking of his new 'Aello' quite a bit during their absence. Though Kovi couldn't really see how that might affect Erwin now, as his attention was so quickly drawn to the door. Kovi jumped a little at the sound, something that came naturally to him when acting so fragile and demure, though it simultaneously felt odd to jump at something so small. He only nodded a little when the voice was called a friend.

"Ah, my lord..." Percen smiled, relieved when the door opened. He was glad that he seemed fine. Part of him was concerned that, well, a Flower slave as tribute wouldn't be the worst idea for an assassination... But as was more reasonable, nothing had seemed to have gone wrong. When Erwin opened the door a little, allowing him a better look at the alluring Flower that had snapped everyone's attention than he was able to have before. And he was beautiful. Before, due to his slight frame, clothing, and hair, Percen had thought Erwin might have been given a female Flower. But no, it was a young man, lithe and delicate. His violet eyes stood out even in the dark. The Flower looked at him intently, partially in surprise. Not surprising, he had been through an awful lot in a short amount of time. Then Percen noticed the collar and chain discarded on the floor.

Kovi didn't know who the 'friend' could be, or what that meant, in regards to Erwin's circles. Was he someone important to note? Did he need to behave a certain way with him? He had to be consistent, but he couldn't accidentally seduce the wrong man, either, so additional people always made it challenging.

Percen listened carefully, nodding on occasion. Well, that was quite an ordeal, and a pretty big problem to deal with in a rather long term sense. Logistically, it was nothing, but for day-to-day life... it changed almost everything.

"I'll support your decisions regardless," Percen promised him. "But I would rather prefer a Flower to not be slaughtered in my family home." He said with a warm smile, looking down at the young prince, who seemed a bit sheepish over the whole ordeal. Perhaps because he was justifying keeping a sex slave around.

"But you know you can be honest with me, my lord..." Percen teased. "If you really want to have a pretty Flower like that around for a...specified purpose, you can always tell me."

"Thanks Percen. I know you’d understand.” Erwin said as he was relieved by Percen’s reaction. While he didn’t doubt for a moment that Percen would not object to his decision to help the Flower slave, he did expect a little that the knight to have some reservation when it comes to letting an outsider live within the garrison. But what came out of Percen’s mouth next left Erwin dumb-founded, he stared at the tall knight with his brain essentially frozen.

“Are you saying that.... I want to keep Aello around because.....” Erwin muttered before his face immediately turned red. He turned back to the Flower slave sitting at the edge of the bed and said hurriedly: “Just wait here. I’ll be right back.” He then grabbed Percen’s hand and quickly rushed out of the room.

“You think I want to keep him because I want a sex slave? How long have you known me Percen?” Not wanting Aello to hear their conversation, Erwin tried his best to keep his voice down, but with only limited success: “Sure that Flower is pretty, but you know I’m not the kind of person to sleep around just because someone is pretty! Besides I don’t even like to do that much, and even when I do I have....”

Erwin suddenly stopped, his anger turned into a mixture of worry and sadness. E looked up at Percen and said: “Come to think of it, I’ve been taking advantage of your loyalty and friendship just to relief myself..... Owning a slave aside I should find someone other than you to deal with it....”

"Of course," Percen smiled to Erwin. Seeing Erwin go from rather intense and worried to relieved and relaxed was one of the most rewarding parts of his position. He would support Erwin no matter what, even if certain things would be changing in their personal lives, such as in the garrison. He presumed that the Flower would be staying with the prince, or maybe even with Percen, if need be. That alone would drastically change how they would operate.

Kovi sat up in surprise at the man's words. He knew the newcomer didn't intend to be heard, but Kovi would be pretty worthless as an informant if he couldn't hear any sort of conversation this close, in a room this quiet. And he wanted Erwin to know he heard, if he looked back at him. Which he did. As delicate and attached as he needed to be, he wanted Erwin to always have in the back of his mind that 'Aello' was anticipating sex. The transition for the prince would be that much easier, that way, if Erwin never felt that he had nurtured his Flower to the point that he didn't expect to be used as intended.

He gave a slight nod as the prince told him to wait, keeping his body language as soft and inviting as possible. When he closed the door, he sighed and let his body resume a more natural stance, harder, alert. Erwin... was just so grown up now. Neither of them were the same children, and he knew Erwin had only grown more unapologetic in his violence towards Flowers, but... he didn't expect there to be just enough of the Erwin he loved and trusted to be behind those eyes, even as an entirely new person.

Percen hadn't expected Erwin to take him so seriously. For a moment, he was very taken back and at a loss for words when Erwin took him in earnest, and scolded him for the assumption. He was rather aghast and couldn't really respond.

"My lord... you misunderstand," Percen, finding his words, also found his confidence again and smiled. It wasn't common for Erwin to be taken by surprise by a joke like that, it was usually Percen who took a while to process a joke. It was rather endearing... He gently touched his cheek, though quickly withdrawing it after the comforting gesture. "Of course I never believed for a moment you'd desire anything other than me in your sheets." He said in a soft whisper.

"And you've never taken advantage of me." he told him, still whispering, but firm. "It's a dry job I have, and our nights are just as much relief for me."

This... was unexpected. Kovi sat on the bed, realizing he really didn't have enough information. He was eager to get it over with, but this new information would only help his long plans. So Erwin was having an affair with the tall handsome man who interrupted him. And it wasn't too hard to figure out their dynamics. Erwin's friend clearly felt a bit more strongly about the prince than was reciprocated. That was good, it was much harder to infiltrate a devoted relationship. The tall knight was an obstacle that could become an asset if Kovi was careful enough. One thing was for sure, he'd have to make an enemy of him.

While Erwin was relieved that Percen didn't seemed to be burdened by them occasionally sharing a bed, he was caught off guard by the pure affection he felt from the knight when he touched his face, and the words he spoke right after. After all the interaction between Erwin and Percen had always been either professional when serving their army duties, or as close friends when in private. Even when their young body inevitably needed relief and things get intimate, it was more about simple carnal pleasure than anything else. But what Percen said about him wouldn't "desire anything other than me in your sheets" sounded like a indirect confession of love, an attempt to affirm some sort of commitment.

"Percen... just so we are clear." Erwin looked at the knight straight in the eye and said earnestly: "I appreciate everything you've done for me: as my second in command, as my best friend, and as a partner in bed. But that's it. I don't expect anything more than you've already given me, and frankly... neither can I offer much more to you. I don't want you to be bounded by duty nor friendship. I want you to pursuit your own happiness."

Erwin fell silent, feeling he’d made the atmosphere too awkward, he patted on Percen’s shoulder and smiled: “Come on Percen, we shouldn’t be away from the party for so long. That would defeat the purpose of us coming here.”

Percen wasn't sure where that affection suddenly came from. He normally was the more stoic of the two. While he was very subtle with his feelings, he always kept it very, very subtle, though it was there. But he was guarded. He wasn't hardened by his one-sided love, of course, and relaxed and enjoyed his best friend's company. But something about this moment, he felt he wasn't exactly being playful, as he intended. Erwin had mistaken his first comment, after all. Something about tonight was making Percen just present himself improperly. This wasn't common, and he was struggling a little with the realizations.

But while he wanted to say 'desire anything other than me' and say 'aren't I amusing with my cockiness?' the way it might have seemed the night before. But now, he said it so soft, so longing, it betrayed the desire for such a thing to be true. He really wished he felt like he could be enough for Erwin.

Though he knew it wasn't, he knew he shouldn't have spoken at all. He wished he could just harden in Erwin's presence like any other pining fool he read about in lessons. But he couldn't, and he couldn't hold himself back on this night. Why was that? Why had he failed tonight, of all nights?

"I'm your general, first and foremost," Percen told him, returning the earnest. More than anything, he valued this position with his prince. Even if Erwin never invited him to his room again, he'd be heartbroken, but he'd be able to take pride in the fine work he did with him. He valued his personal duties to Erwin as well, of course, as he loved him wholly, but of all he did, all he was for Erwin, he knew what he always saw himself as. Before a convenient bed mate, before his friend.

"I do understand, my lord." He said, his posture becoming a bit more stiff. "And I only want happiness for you as well,"

He returned a slight smile to the prince in turn. The plain rejection stung, as did the awkwardness he caused for his prince. But that was a healing smile, regardless of circumstance. "I'll be right behind you. My parents are eager to meet with you," He added. He looked back at the door for a brief moment. Did that pretty flower really get into his head like that? He recognized he was especially beautiful, and how he was dressed, what he was intended to perform as service, but he didn't really think Erwin would take such an opportunity.

At least not consciously. Maybe in his subconscious, he recognized a rival.