Your Hidden Gems/Underrated Manga

auser

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.
oh I see! I think I must have read alot of Dubcon yaoi mangas then (coz that's what I was trying to say in my previous comment and now that you've explained what it means, I realised that is it that I like exactly! But not torture or rape or definitely not sexual abuse of any kind.

BTW, I also like yaoi incest! Tried to read "I'm in love with my little Sister" (shoujo smutty romance) manga once but it creeper me out! But I've never felt creeped out when I read similar stories in yaoi! I guess that's another thing that makes us weirdos KinkyMochi! Lol

Speaking of shoujo romances, I've read alot! Not as much as yaoi but still like one of two mangas of each letter of the alphabet. I know what you should read "The One" manwha by Nicky Lee. Even though you haven't been able to get into the genre, this Korean manga is much like a kdrama! Plus it has twincest between the two brothers in it and then one of them gets "blackmailed" into dating another man so it's kinda a psychological Shounen-Ai between the brothers but the main character is a girl who wants to be a model and ends up falling in love with the other brother (OK they are two twin guys and one girl. One of the guys is more obsessed with the other one than that one is but you see them hug and kiss each other all the time lol then that one who is obsessed with his twin gets blackmail ect, ect.)In fact there's quite a lot of "gay themes" in the background, for example, one of the male photographers that the wannabe girl model runs into was in love with her dad and it was revealed they had a sexual relationship until her dad met her mum ect. However there has been some debate whether or not Shounen-Ai should be a tag for it or not because of the context of the development between characters and how it doesn't fit with the general tag of Shounen-Ai but with all the gay themes, I think there definitely should be a gay tag for it too! I think it has over 100 chapters and whilst it can be a bit melodramatic and heavy in places, it's really a good read! You should try it! You might enjoy it XD

I think Korean manwha in shoujo romances are the best because I especially like the gender bender martial arts sub genres that usually go with Korean manwhas. And I know alot where the chapters are over 30 and counting so they are really good!! Plus, the males are usually drawn as hot as sin/model types, which makes me think I wish I was the one that guy was after lol You might wanna give them a try too if you like action with your shoujo romances like I do But I think you should give "The one" a try first lol please let me know if this appeals to you or not so I can refine my recommendations haha ^^

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• auser

• KatieMH25!

• voide

• iheartyokozawa

Ok, you convinced me, so I've read Honki Ja Neekara.:D I liked the premise, it reminded me a lot of Junjou terrorist from Junjou Romantica, and it's my favourite pairing there:D I was shocked to actually finish the volume and realize that the seme was only 23 years old - barely an adult himself:D I was thinking he was like 30:D

It wasn't a bad manga, it certainly had it moments and after reading so many novels over the last couple of weeks it was really nice to read something drawn xD But I still think it's not my mangaka.. Me and her works just don't click, I guess..^^ But thank you for recommendation - I liked the premise and it was nice to read some manga again:D

OMG, straight incest is incredibly disturbing. But I have read and enjoyed "Flowers of Evil" which is a manga about exactly that. But then again - it's not romanticized in any way, it's disturbing, the main characters are twisted and the story is incredibly addictive. But when a manga tries to show incest in a romantic way, I'm out. Right away! Unless it's yaoi:D ahah you get me:D

And this is the kind of shoujo I can stomatch, by the way - twisted and messed up, where it's less about the romance and more about: Holy sh"t, what are these crazy messed up individuals are going to do next?:) Any recommendations like this?

I've never watched a kdrama in my life, but "The one" does sound like fun:D I'm just afraid I would be more interested in the shounen ai in the background and end up resenting the main character:D But we will see:D Is it complete?

I LOVE DOG STYLE!!!!!!!!!!! except for the crappy Media Blaster version :(

this trilogy is one of those perfect yaoi reads in my book, for sure

my 2 cents' worth: Motoni Modoru's works are my pick for being underrated. maybe cause her writing & style are a little niche or just acquired taste... kinda twisted, kinda dark, intellectually curious & heavily references gothic ideas. delicious!!!

Grand Guignol & two amazing works from her Tanbishugi collection (Visconti no Eiga no Youni, & Kiyomerareta Yoru) have my heart :)

Fuwa Shinri is baeeee

I'm glad you read it lol I was shocked he was only 23 too since he acts and looks much older lol

Pretty much The One manwua (it's not Korean like I thought but Chinese lol) is everything you wanted from a shoujo. I mean it starts off like a typical shoujo, with cute and funny moments but then it gets a bit darker with each chapter until it's exactly like what you wanted. Yeah it's completed. I just checked how many chapters it has and there's 110 chapters! Lol Anyways you can read it here

I enjoyed reading Dog Style lol and I really like Fuwa Shinri as an mangaka so I've read all their works! It seems me and you will get along quite well mate!! :D

Have you finished it? I think I will give it a try - I kind of feel guilty for not reading enough straight romance xD

I'm really curious about mangakas like Fuwa Shinri and Motoni Modoru because I know they're good and I've read some of their works, but never felt the need to read them all..

Yes I've read all of The One. It's really good but there's a Korean Manwha that's Shoujo that I'd like to recommend you. It's called Honggane - it's my first Korean manwha and my favourite. It's a typical shoujo but there's martial arts (girl is strong fighter but she falls for a even stronger super hot and twisted guy - cuz he hates his father - rival) it gets dark throughout coz one day he ups and disappears after kissing her so for 3 volumes she gets depressed and the guys around her have dark thoughts about hunting him down to kill him etc, etc.) I really enjoyed it lol

I recommend you should read all the manga by Fuwa Shrinri and Motoni Modoru! Lol ^^ But definitely see if you can try these two shoujos too hehe!

I guess you have alot of reading to do over the next few days/weeks lol ^^

Both sound interesting! I really need to work on reading more manga with/about female characters. They annoy me a lot of the times, especially the ones in shoujo.:D The only notable exception would be Kaguya (from Kaguya wants to be confessed to.. A mix between shoujo and death note level of mind games:D Ahah if I you ever find me recommending shoujo, it would be this one!:D

I will definitely let you know what I think about this manhwa, but I'm taking a bit of a break from manga at the moment. I find it that I really enjoy reading manga when I'm tired after work - because it's easy, fun and you don't need much time to make a lot of progress in the story.:) But now that I'm working part time only, I have much more time and I tend to go for books rather than manga:) I enjoy them much more, but they're asking for much more time:) Especially considering that If I start a book and I like it, I rarely stop until I finish xD

So the point (and I did have one) is that all of my manga reviews will probably hit you mid-February once I'm back working full time :D and as for now.. how do you feel about BL novels? xD I actually started a thread (a long time ago) asking for recommendations, and I always welcome your input xD you're my fellow weirdo, after all:D

Sounds good to me mate lol

No I don't really read BL novels but I do read dark fantasy fiction books lol there's one series that comes to mind that has vampires, sexy warriors, good vs evil, straight romance and gay romance. It's a series called the Black dagger Brotherhood. Have you ever heard of it?

Not at all! And I do know how rare it is to actually find something mainstream with a gay romance plot.. Is it any good?

Yeah it is! It's very graphic coz it's a horror but it's mostly a straight romance between a sexy vampire warrior type and a woman and it's sexually explicit too! For the most part there are some gay themes in the background and eventually there's a whole book on BL. The whole series is well worth the read, good versus evil with romance and fights and relationships thrown in :) The series is written by J.R.Ward :)

I haven't read anything about vampires since Dracula (or Twilight, not sure which one I've read first xD) so I'm super excited, thanks!:D Do you read a lot of fantasy?

Yeah I do, especially dark fantasy horror! I'm into vampires and witches lol oh there's another horror series that I'd like to recommend you - it's called Anita Black, Vampire Executioner series by L.K.Hamilton. I'm not sure if it can be called gay as such because basically the books are all to do with sex and power but in the later books after book 8, you read about male vampires having sex with each other and things like that! Plus there's a lot of mythology in the first 8 books, horror, murder scenes, vampire and werewolf political intrigue and suchlike. It's written in the 1st person and is from Anita's perspective but it's soo good - she raised the e the dead for a living, like a job lol

thank you for more recommendations!! Thanks to yaoiotaku, my to-read list is huuuge:D but it's more fun this way, no?

I'm really weary of the vampires (Yep, blame twilight and all the bad books that tried to ride the hype), so I would love to find something that will change my mind:D

Meanwhile, I've read one of your recommendations - Cat & Dogs! Thanks for recommending it, I would probably never have stumbled upon it otherwise..

Some of the proportions freaked me out (false shota alert:D) - there is fine line one must keep in mind when drawing the ukes:D

dyxbwn.jpg

Well the vampires I have recommended are all Alpha Male, Warrior types of men, no teenagers allowed lol So hopefully they will change your mind ^^

Oh really? But I didn't think of this at all! It is funny tho now that you pointed it out! XD So what did you think of Cat and Dogs! It's overall cute right? :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah but proportions is like a common problem with a bit older yaoi manga.. I mean, think of Junjou Romantica - the most obvious example of that:D Once you see it, it's hard to unsee:)

Hmm.. It's not something I will reread, sorry, but it was fun while it lasted, so I'm glad I did it:D Thank you - I'm not big on this type of art (or this type of storyline), so I would never have given it a shot otherwise:)

and mm.. Alpha Male vampires.. it seems like an oxymoron to me:D I still haven't gotten around to it, but I will^^