A Broken Seal [matsuo and Noise Prince]

Noise Prince

Kyoi couldn't help but feel quite satisfied at the hatred he saw burning in the strangers eyes as he gave him a glance. He hoped his own hatred and anger was as apparent to the human. But Kyoi's smirk grew, and relaxed himself back into the water, and rested his arms on the outside of the spring. And now, he had affirmation. Asoka apparently wouldn't be able to contain him under his power for long. The stronger he grew, the less Asoka could control him.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Noise Prince

• matsuo

" It's dangerous to try and control a demon, Asoka..you don't have the appropriate strength needed to control the semon." still glaring intently at Kyoi. Asoka just shrugs and said " It was never my intention to control Kyoi..I'm simply wanted to know how and what is Kyoi, since he is not something scince can prove its existence. His needs are a bit different than us but most of his appearance is more to human." Asoka said serioulsy.

He push the man out of the hot spring, he feels a bit annoyed when he see Kousaka seeing Kyoi naked flesh. " I don't want him to imprison in the seal again..please Kousaka, let me take responsibility for him. He is too weak to anything right now. The previous summoner exhaust his power to the extend he need more than 100 years to regain his true strength . He was bind to my clan because of our greedy nature. " Asoka trying to persuade Kousaka to keep Kyoi existence a secret from the main family.

Kousaka was feeling a bit reluctant but Asoka was giving him good reasons to let the demon be. He finally agree but with a condition. " You need to bind him with your essence to control him,Asoka..a demon is still dangerous regardless what." he said serioulsy and pull out a small paper. Murmuring a simple incantation he hold out to Asoka. " I put a small spell to bond you and him , the spell will activate when the demon accepts you into him. My spell are only usefull for you, since i do not posess the strength like your cousin in the main branch. I will do our experiment as usual for today but you need to come down into the lab tomorrow morning. Bring the demon with you. I don't trust him."

Asoka nodded, he watch the man walks out to the door and look back at Kyoi. He really doesn't want the main branch aware of him.

Kyoi sat tall and proud in the water, filled with a dark glee as he stared at Asoka's house guest. He was learning quite a bit, and his very presence caused this human a visible amount of distress. It was so satisfying. He missed striking such negative emotion in humans in these past thousand years. He didn't feel so powerless, he remembered the kind of impact he could have.

Asoka had no intention to try to control him, huh? So he intended to bring the end of humanity, it didn't make much sense to Kyoi. And just because he was talking to another human didn't mean he was telling the truth. Humans really don't have honor even among their own kind. He couldn't afford to let his guard down with Asoka, and he didn't intend to.

But… he couldn't help but want to trust him when he said he didn't intend to seal him away again. That could be another lie, he could be setting himself up to be hurt by trying to believe he was potentially free from that nightmarish state for good. And one hundred years and he'd reach his full potential. For a demon like Kyoi, that wasn't too long a wait.

His eyebrow lifted when the stranger murmured something and gave it to Asoka. Kyoi didn't want that paper anywhere near him. He was already bound to the clan's bloodline, and to a further extent Asoka since he summoned him. But a specific spell by another relative to bind him to Asoka… that could end up being disastrous for Kyoi. Though, according to this man, it would only activate if he accepted? What a flimsy clause, his magic really was quite weak. He wouldn't accept it, and he had nothing to worry about.

The stranger left, and Asoka looked back on Kyoi's form, a smirk still on his lips as he stared at him.

"You might as well burn that paper he gave you," He called to him.

Asoka turn around towards Kyoi." Kousaka might not be that powerful but his spells are effective....even if I burn it the spell are still there." he explain.

Asoka eyes was fixated on Kyoi's chest. " Are you tempting me , you look so erotic with those flawless skin getting redder by the minute."

Asoka walks back toward him, thinking of joining Kyoi in the water. " I really find the idea becoming one with you is a wonderful idea...the fun that we will have ..send shivers to my spine." he quickly undress and steps into the water.

The hot water feels good, as he goes toward Kyoi, the demon beast was really the most fascinating being he ever encounter . He sat besides Kyoi , his hand itching to touch Kyoi nape. He wanted to run his hands all over the demon body.

" I wouldn't mind being bound to you...I think it is a very interesting ..." he grins. He soak down and turn to the sky. " If you want to leave..I have no reason to stop you but..the moment you step out of the area ..the main branch if Jinnai clan will come after you.My house are surrounded by a barrier to keep them out...since my late grandfather prefers to be isolated here." lifting his right hand , there was a mark..a strange symbol on his wrist.

Showing the mark to Kyoi , Asoka smiles. " Do you know this marks is a curse.."

Kyoi's smirk dropped to a more neutral expression. Though it didn't matter, since it was still conditional on his own desire, he had to agree to the condition of joining before the spell could work. So he wasn't going to be too concerned. He was more occupied with the fact that Asoka was blatantly staring at the demon's naked form in the water.

"What tempting would be necessary? You're already depraved, and your desire for my flesh is caused by your own nature, not any of my actions." He told him, shrugging. He wasn't comfortable with Asoka's attraction to him. Or at least, he didn't think he was. But having Asoka insinuate that it was Kyoi's intention made him rather angry.

Asoka continued on about his own wiles as he undressed, and Kyoi kept his eyes respectfully ahead before the human climbed into the water as well. Kyoi's nice bath and distressed human stranger was nearly ruined now that Asoka had joined him, but he said nothing.

"Being bound to any of your clan hasn't brought me any joy nor benefit. But it's also true that my station under your family won't grow worse." He thought out loud. This place had a special seal, that protected him from the rest of the clan. He was already very dependent on Asoka and his generosity, as much as the proud demon would hate to admit. In the end, he might not have much of a choice when it came to becoming bound to the man.

Kyoi was actually quite curious about curse marks, and didn't hide it well. He moved closer to Asoka, eyes glued to his wrist, and even almost reaching and touching his wrist to get a better view, but he refrained.

"I am unfamiliar with this," He told him. "What is this marking for?"

" Oh~~Did I manage to arouse your curiosity my dear Kyoi? Well it was put on me by my own clan since my affinity with yokai is much stronger....You see ..I find humanity boring and plain compare to demons and yokai....the seal was use as a reminder...half of my blood isn't normal...so that's why..the sealed broke, although I have some doubts."

Asoka let out a relief sigh, the water was so nice. He look at Kyoi hands , slowly trying to grab it. He manage to grab Kyoi's hands before he tries to avoid it. He grins.

" Don't you want to try and take my essences ...since I am not fully human...the result may be ...wonderful.." he slowly rubs the back of Kyoi's hand , leaning down kissing it. Asoka eyes never leaving Kyoi's face.

Wondering if the demon feels something..the same thing that he was feeling right now. His body temperature rise as he was getting hotter by the sight of Kyoi's body even his boil was boiling. He was excited ..the through of his Kyoi in full power strangely turning him on. He didn't care about his clan ..since he was always an outcast in the family. The only person who was good to him already pass away. He always thought human doesn't interest him.

Kyoi frowned, and gave Asoka a quick glare, and stepped a bit from him before Asoka took his hands and kept him in place. So Asoka wasn't completely human, or at least not a normal one. That actually explained a lot for Kyoi. His feelings for Asoka had been incredibly mixed since he woke up. He didn't have the initial wave of disgust he usually did with humans, but he had thought that it was due to his essence waking him up. But it could be that he was separate from the rest of humanity somehow. His expression softened as he stared at the mark.

"Essences… I don't have the same fascination you do with such things but…" He took a long pause and looked up at Asoka. "I also don't know what binding ourselves would entail. I am already under your will, I cannot leave the property without risking my safety. What would the outcome be?"

" Hmm of course I'm fascinate since your existence are wonderful" he smiles. " The answer to your question it will probably the possibility of my clan to imprisoned you once more..but for good..without a leeway. I was lucky this time since the predecessor left a way to unsealed you. "

He playfully splash some water but the demon swiftly avoid it. Asoka pout a little. " There's a condition to be fullied for the ritual to unsealed you . It needs a mixture of blood between two different being. You sure a loved. ...."

Asoka stand up and stretch his body, " Wuuu it's good but I need to head back and go buy some food. Feel free to explore Kyoi-san~~"

Kyoi looked down, scoffing a little. He wasn't sure how to respond to such shameless flirting. It embarrassed and confused him, he wished he would cease. Humans, no matter how different from others, shouldn't speak in such ways to demons. Especially a demon like him. Asoka didn't seem bothered by the weight and gravity of the situation he brought upon himself. He even tried to splash water at Kyoi, who easily avoided the unnecessary motion. He stared firmly at the human in the bath with him. This wasn't the time for games. If he wasn't careful, if they both weren't careful, he could be sealed away forever.

What would happen to him after forever…?

Asoka stood up and stretched, and Kyoi didn't bother not to look away from his form this time. He tilted his head slightly, looking at him. What an ill time to be thinking of food, what awful timing. Kyoi was a lot more concerned with figuring out how best he could stay safe. Someone who could easily tell the main branch of the family just saw him sitting here, and they let him walk out!

"Wait…" He stood up to, trying to stop Asoka. "That… relative of yours. Can you really trust him?" He asked him firmly. "For all you know, I'll be gone before you return…"

Asoka turn around , " Kousaka? Don't worry he wont tell anyone about you. That guy doesn't like the main branch more than your kind. He will keep this a secret. You won't be discovered easily if you stay here...this place is protected by my late grandpa barrier and it wont let unauthorized person in without my permission ."

He leans down until they were face to face. " You will be safe here, that I promise. " and steals a quick peck on the demon lips. " You are so cute glaring at me like that..keep on doing that ...you make me want to do pleasurable things to your body just to see those lewd reactions." he quickly retreat and grabs his clothes . Asoka laugh can be heard out loud.

Leaving the demon alone, Asoka gets dress and a list to go down for the groceries . He didn't lock the door incase the Kyoi decide to take a stroll around the area..although his house was surrounded by thick trees and small river separates between the house and the mountain behind.

It takes about 2 hour to get to town and Asoka drives towards a district shopping area. The food was fresh and taste better than the supermarket ones. He choose plenty of fruits, meat, vegetables...ramen and many more. He takes out a small notebook trying to find any food that demon would like. He once reads on an old text that besides consuming blood or fluids from humans , the yokai can take a certain interest in ordinary food be it fruits or dish. He decided to buy it all.

Kyoi didn't look to assured. He wasn't sure if this Kousaka could really be trusted. Asoka seemed to, but he really couldn't know himself if the hatred for the main family was stronger than for demons. That was such an unusual family dynamic, it seemed preposterous to him. What had all happened in these thousand years to allow such a powerful family to have such disloyalty from its own members? But Asoka was at risk if Kousaka told, too, so he could feel a bit safer if Asoka felt he was in no danger.

He could have done without the quick kiss, or the taunting that followed. But he obliged him, and continued to clare at the man. He was such an unusual person, Kyoi had difficulty knowing how to respond.

He waved a hand dismissively and raised an eyebrow. What were the purposes of these experiments exactly?

Asoka left, and Kyoi sank back into the water, wondering how long he'd be able to relax like this without a human nearby. It was after an hour that he realized that it'd probably be quite a while. He rose from the water, redressed, and decided that he ought to get a better look around the estate while he had the peace of solitude.

The cashier at the the counter raise her eyebrows in disbelief . The customer infront of her bought a very large amount of fruits and other things. She was help by her manager to scan the items faster. Asoka just smile and pay them quickly. He push the trolley towards his vehicle and put all the groceries inside.

He pass by a bookshop and decide to buy something . He search all the books on anatomy from humans to animals. He also bought stationary such as pen, brush and many more. His phone rings and when he look at the caller Asoka mood turn sour. It was from the main branch head.

He wanted to ignore but it will be a problem if they were to barge in his work place later on. "Hello..yes it's been awhile Daiji-sama..you want me to show myself for the ceremony...I don't have anything to do with anyone in main branch. " he hang up and switch off the phone.

He sigh, there ceremony was about the succession of the new head. He didn't want anything to do with them anymore. The other members of the main branch would always look at him with disgust and hatred. Saying his existence is unneeded .

He decided to head back to the house and spent sometime to gather data and sample from the demon. Asoka wanted to know how is Kyoi and him different . They are similar but yet so different . Their values and belief in life too intrigue Asoka so much.

The estate was quite large, and the seclusion made it seem otherworldly, and so peaceful. It almost seemed a shame that humans seemed to hate nature so much. From what he could gather from Asoka's explanation, humans now lived in cities of metal and glass, and very few lived near nature anymore. How anyone could survive such an environment was beyond Kyoi. He wandered around inside. None of it was familiar, even though he had seen it the night before. The architecture was old-fashioned, and nature seldom changed, so he felt at home outdoors. But inside, nothing looked like how it should. Unusual furniture and devices, divisions of a room for supposedly different purposes.

Over the course of Asoka's absence, Kyoi became fixated with, and learning to control, the television. He could barely understand what anyone was saying. Japanese sounded so different now, and they didn't speak slow and plainly like Asoka did with him. Their clothes looked funny, their expressions and hair, the things they held, the things they said. It was all weird. But this box that displayed these funny looking people doing and saying weird things with light was mesmerizing. He couldn't remember if Asoka had told him what it was or not. He held the remote in his hand, starting back and forth from it and the screen, seeing what each button did.

He had found a period drama, a little past his own era, that he felt relatively comfortable with, and could understand better than most of the other programs, and settled down. He had figured out already that these were like plays, and not real, so seeing images from a distant past did not alarm or excite him more than being intrigued that there was a story from the old world.

The story took a break to display a strange sequence to talk about a product. Kyoi still didn't understand why the shows he was watching chose to do this. These characters never did anything else, and sometimes these segments played multiple times. And they all looked modern, as far as he could guess.

One sequence for something came on, the name with a bizarre set of squiggles on the box. He gasped softly- for a moment, he thought that there was a demon on tv. Like him, so human looking but so many little things marking them as different. Then he realized that Asoka had explained this to him before, when explaining what had happened in the past thousand years- this was a European!

The pinkish skin, the long and protruding nose, whispy and yellow-like hair, green eyes. Such a bizarre looking person. They spoke in halted Japanese, but Kyoi still couldn't understand what they were trying to say.

He finally arrive home, he was lucky the previous housekeeper was sensible enough to buy a small trolley . He push it towards his car and takes out the things he bought .

Asoka finally done bringging the groceries inside the house. He heard some noises from the living room. He was curious and left the kitchen to see what's going on.

He saw Kyoi was staring at the television with a blank expression. He quietly walks and sit besides the demon. " You look suprise..I didn't think television will catch your interest my dear Kyoi."

The demon wasn't startle and went on looking at the television . Asoka was curious and look at it too. His eyes wide seeing a old japanese drama about yokai. " The human are have quite imagination right. There's a yokai that look similar but it lives in another prefacture I think. You may never encounter it since they would only shows themselves during war..feasting on corpse." he explain.

Kyoi heard Asoka return, but he was rather engrossed in the story to look up or acknowledge him, though he probably wouldn't have anyway. Kyoi was fixated on the screen, trying to figure out everything the show was insinuating, since he was in the middle of a season. Character relationships were particularly difficult for him. It made him angry.

Asoka came and sat next to him, and Kyoi sighed a little, hoping that he would be left alone.

"Neither did I," Kyoi replied, cradling the remote in his hands, hanging it between his legs. He hadn't recognized the yokai onscreen, but Asoka's description sounded like something he had met years and years ago. But it seemed like there was no more. If there was no fields with strewn corpses, when would they ever emerge? He wasn't particularly fond of them, necessarily, but the thought made him sad.

"Are yokai no more in the modern age?" He asked, looking to Asoka.

"I guess..but around this area there are some yokai if you venture far into the forest behind the house , you may see them near the old mines. " he look at the drama and close his eyes sighing.

" You look so sad right now..." he looks back at the demon and slowly grasp his hand. " Humans are selfish and greedy..they fear something that are different but yearn to control them. I....you may do want you want after you recover your strength Kyoi..including destroying the very clan that used you." Asoka let Kyoi's hand go and got up. He did explain briefly about the television and its function before leaving the demon alone.

Asoka open the kitchen window after hours of cleaning...he didn't think it was that bad until he clean it all out. The only thing left is doing the laundry and cooking some food for him and Kyoi. He then remember something and rummage through the bags. He than goes back to see Kyoi. He was holding a calligraphy set.

Kyoi looked up at Asoka, a bitter sorrow painted over his face. It was difficult not to yearn for the past. A thousand years ago… he still couldn't comprehend just how much time had passed. How much had changed. This wasn't a world he belonged in anymore, the world had moved past. The only thing that was the same was his yearning to destroy the humanity that still ruled over the domain of all they wanted to touch. Even then, he was powerless to do so. But if this man kept his word, that wouldn't be for too long. If he was truthful when he said he'd be free to rid this world of humans, Kyoi would preserve a village, and this mountain home, so Asoka had a community to sustain himself. He would like to only keep him alive, but he would need farmers and tailors and smiths to do the things he could not. Asoka loved his science and research, he should spend the rest of his days doing that, not being distracted by farming and sewing and other time-consuming tasks. Once he took his final breath, then Kyoi could crush the village under his heel. Then he could know peace in his heart. The world might become one belonging to yokai and demons at long last.

"I mourn for a world that has been forgotten," He whispered softly, for once not feeling the knee-jerk reaction to yank his hand away. Why had he considered sparing Asoka? And considered his comforts?

Kyoi reminded himself that he couldn't necessarily trust Asoka, just because he had no choice but to rely on him. A beloved pet dog could still be beaten by it's master. And in his current state, he was little more than a dog. Asoka left him be with the television. A few hours- how did time pass so quickly- Asoka returned with something eerily familiar in his hands. Kyoi turned off the tv, and looked at him expectantly.

Asoka gives the calligraphy set to Kyoi. " Somehow when I was browsing for stationary ,I saw this and thought of you. I don't know if you like it ..." he scratch his cheek, smiling sheepishly .

The demon was still looking at the item. Asoka was feeling somewhat nervous. His heart keeps on pounding like he had run a marathon . Frankly he was feeling ridiculous.

"I already clean the kitchen , lunch will be ready in an hour or so. Do you have anything specific you want to eat...aside the usual?" he ask him before leaving. He wasn't the best cook but he can make decent meals since he used to make for his late grandfather."

Asoka patiently waits for Kyoi to answer his question. He also was thinking making japanese style for today..so maybe miso soup, stir tofu and grill sardine. He also bought some exotic fruits like dragon fruit. In his mind , Asoka was already imagine Kyoi's reaction .

Kyoi took the set from Asoka's hands and stared at it, surprised. So the art of calligraphy had not yet been lost. It was such a relief, something other than him from the old age past had last. His old hobby, as poor as he was in skill with it, would bring him great comfort.

"I'm actually quite fond of the gift," Kyoi assured him, not looking up. "Thank you…"

Why was Asoka so kind to him? Why was he becoming less and less suspicious of him? His experience with humans should tell him that it was only more suspicious when they were kind.

"No preference. I will eat whatever you make for me." Kyoi meant to sound apathetic, but his voice sounded more gentle than he intended. Was he growing soft? Was Asoka getting to him? Damn this family, this clan that had controlled his heart since the first priest who put a jacket over his bare shoulders.

"Thank goodness...and I'll make sure it will suit your taste." Asoka was glad that his little effort to somehow to cheer up the demon was working.

He walks back to the kitchen and starts to cook. He use his grandfather old recipe for miso soup, he prepare the fish and evenly cut the tofu. He always set the rice cooker to always stay warm. Asoka set the dish on a small table and brings it to the japanese room . He set all the food on the table and goes to find Kyoi.

Asoka looks around before he found the demon in his room, he was staring at the calligraphy set. He looks at peace like that. Asoka cough a bit trying to get his attention .

" You look happy...I will help you preparing the ink after we eat. It's been a long time since I do that..my grandpa was good with that." he leans againt the sliding door.

"I've set the meal in the japanese room since we can hear and see the stream from there. Come and eat together with me Kyoi." he waited until Kyoi was ready to eat. It's been a long time since Asoka had eaten with somebody else since his grandfather pass away. It's excites him for some reason eating with Kyoi.

"I apologize in advance if the food is not your taste..."

Kyoi was becoming more and more tired of trying to resist Asoka's kindness. This never ended well for the demon, trusting or becoming attached to humans, but that was the tragedy of his nature. The room became filled with warmth, and the air smelled good, from Asoka's cooking. Kyoi looked at his gift more closely. He immediately could recognize it as a calligraphy set, but it was distinctive from what he was used to. The modern age has really changed everything. Still, he was glad to see that the art had lasted through the ages. Maybe this time, he could become really good at calligraphy. He glanced back to where Asoka had left the room, though he wasn't visible from here, and sighed. He wasn't exactly certain about what his fate was. But at least he had this.

Kyoi stared at the kit for a bit longer after Asoka invited him to eat with him, and mentioned his grandfather again. So the man was good at calligraphy, too. He seemed like he might have been interesting. He stood up, and nodded faintly, following Asoka, the scent of the food he prepared growing stronger. It was when he saw the food, all laid out on the table, that Kyoi bent over and grabbed his stomach. He grunted forcefully, and took a moment to gather himself before standing upright again, a slight distraught expression adorned his face. It had been so long since he had food… his body forgot how to respond to hunger. Even when he smelled it, he didn't feel hungry. It was when he saw it there before him, ready for the taking, his stomach felt as if it had pinched itself together rumbling.

"This… meal is fine. Thank you." He hated that he felt embarrassed for such a display.

Asoka just nodded and sit down . He smile and said. " Hunger is not good for you , just eat and restore any possible strength that you can get from the meal." he gesture for Kyoi to sit.

Asoka gently remove the bones and separates them. He also makes green tea and slice some fruits fir desert. He didn't wait for the demon to eat rather he just continue as usual.

He doesn't want to make Kyoi feels embarrass and ignore him. He really wanted to see Kyoi reaction but right now it wasn't wise.

The sounds of the water flowing and the cool atmosphere was indeed makes one heart feels calm. He have hope that it will somehow helps the demon to be at ease.

Kyoi nodded wordlessly, and took a seat beside the table, eyeing all the food available to him. It smelled so delicious Kyoi almost had to wonder if the food was enchanted. It had been so long since he had eaten. Demons and spirits didn't have the same need to eat as did humans, but it was a need nonetheless. He was so thankful for the chance to eat again.

Moments later, the two of them were eating together. Asoka kept his eyes away from Kyoi, which might have been the first time he had done so. Which was fine, as Kyoi didn't have much grace with his first indulgent plate. He barely tasted the food as he swallowed it, just a lingering aftertaste before the next bite was placed on his tongue, like a ghost. He was feeling more satisfied, and on his second plate, he could slow down and actually enjoy the food that smelled and looked so delicious it caused him physical pain.

There were some differences from the food he was used to, and some that he couldn't place his finger on. But here was yet another thing that hadn't changed all that much. He was more and more relieved that more of the world he knew survived as part of the culture up to now.

He was even more agreeable with a full stomach. He took a long sip of the green tea and sighed softly.

"This may be because I haven't eaten in so long… but your cooking is remarkable. I've enjoyed every bite."

Part of him felt that he was sinking so low to compliment this human so much. But another part of him was full of delicious food and didn't care for such prideful things.

Asoka smile, " I'm glad" he finish his meal and gather the dishes. "You look much better now, I am going to do the dishes , you can go and relax. Today I will prepare something for you before I went out to my work place ." He quickly gather and bring them into the kitchen sink.

Asoka phone was blinking, he already know who it was but ignore it. He quickly washes and dries the plates. After a few hours later, he went to find Kyoi.

"There you are..Kyoi I will have to go out again..so help yourself later if you hungry. I will be back tomorrow . " he reach to one of Kyoi hair and stroke it . " I wish we can do more but I have to do later." he kisses it gently. He turn around and walks out.

The sound of his vehicle was heard and he was already driving out from the mountains. His phone rings several times but Asoka decide to switch it off as he drives to his work with heavy heart.

"Do I?" Kyoi asked, a bit of his skepticism returning in his voice. He didn't really know how he looked before, or why he would look better now. The human had seemed fixed on his appearance before eating, so maybe he noticed something relatively minute. He looked at him, puzzled as he gathered the dishes and took them away. Work place? He said it as if it wasn't here. Kyoi assumed he worked in that room where he experimented with him. He was a bit confused. But he was more interested with the calligraphy kit than he was with Asoka's job.

Hours passed quickly, Kyoi was working on page after page with his brush and ink, that he finally figured out himself with the interactions he could read, and that the set wasn't too difficult to use in of itself. Asoka returned, and did the unusual thing where he took strands of his hair in his hand, and brought them to his lips, saying his goodbye. It seemed to strange to just be a custom of the modern age. But who could tell? Maybe Asoka wasn't an unusual man at all for his time.

"See you tomorrow, then…" He said, still a bit confused. Was his place of work so far away? Or was he just going to spend so much time there? He didn't ask these questions. He didn't mind the time alone. He'd watch more tv - maybe even a modern show - and work on calligraphy. His strokes were worse than he remembered.