Sweet Temptation - (Exellda and StainedCrimson) (18+)

Exellda

Maeron startles, jostling Shira a bit causing the snake to let out a disgruntled hiss before resettling, and he can only stare at Kai with widened eyes at the outburst. Not once has anyone ever said such a thing to him, nor had he ever even held hope of hearing such words. Not since he was little anyway, and that so long ago that he wouldn't be able to say whether or not that longing ever really existed. As such, he sits feeling bewildered, stunned and increasingly embarrassed as he feels his face warming.

When Kai gets up and moves to sit next to him, he feels rooted in place and can do little more than stare up at the other. The confusion, uncertainty and wariness all plainly evident on his face, what can be seen of it, as is the shock he's currently experiencing. Slowly a faint frown begins to appear as two conflicting sides of him emerge. The side that does his best to keep things going as smooth as possible, avoiding getting involved in conflicts with the villagers for example, and then the beaten in instinct of staying out of the way and out of sight. Kai's request to sit with him causes those two sides to war within him, so looks down at Shira who is watching him with concern as small tremors start to wrack his body. Nothing overly noticeable to the eye, but the snake on his lap can feel them.

Finally, after several attempts to swallow and speak, he manages to get out a few hoarse words. "Do as you like." He says finally while keeping his eyes on Shira. Slowly he starts to pet the snake to soothe them both. He stays tense while waiting for the other to finally sit or move away, and even when Kai sits down, Maeron very slowly relaxes though some edge of tension always remains. Eventually he starts to eat his remaining food.

While outwardly he appears calm, though somewhat tense, inwardly his mind is a whirl storm of thoughts and emotions. Kai is nothing like anyone he's ever known before, not that he knew many outside of his village, but he admittedly feels a bit conflicted. One side of him is angry and upset with Kai for looking down on those from his village, but another side yearns for those kind words and acceptance. Yet all of him is wary of that kindness and think it's too good to be true.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Exellda

• StainedCrimson

Though Maeron does not outwardly express his inner turmoil, Kai can sense how tense the other male is right now. Obviously the other male was wary of Kai's presence, possibly intimidated? All Kai knew was that the male in front of him was somehow charming... And he seemed to require all of the comfort and kindness Kai could muster. This would be an easy task for Kai, but the question was would Maeron accept him. Surely over time, Kai hoped. So the elfling decided to sit down, calmly and quietly. Because Maeron appeared to be uncomfortable as it was, Kai decided that this was as far as he would go for today. He would give the other male some space after he ate.

Curiosity continued to grow within the elf. Most of his thoughts centered around his new companion, then the journey ahead. He ate quietly, as he did not want to disturb Maeron any farther unless the other male decided to speak up. However, at this rate, Kai was sure his mouth would stay shut for now. Perhaps over time he could get Maeron to open up? And at that thought, Kai visibly smiled. He thought that was a splendid idea! Occasionally, as he ate, he would curiously glance up at Maeron, mostly to make sure he was still doing okay. He would smile softly and then resume eating.

Eventually, there came a point of when his plate was cleared... Thank goodness, he was already full, but he could not possibly decline Maeron's cooking. Free food was a precious thing. Kai felt happiest when he was full, also sleepy too. "Thanks for the meal!" Kai exclaimed cheerfully with a headnod. He stood up slowly, stretching his arms above his head before inhaling deeply, then yawning. One hand tucked stranded hair behind his elf ear while the other pat his stomach. "I could not ask for more, I am full." He set the plate to the side for now. "I think I shall head to bed early. By now, the sun was already setting anyway. He figured he should rest up while he still could. "If you need me, do not hesitate to call out to me."

And with that the white haired elf wandered over to the same spot he slept the other night. He shed his robes again, not minding that Maeron was there. Now that he was just in his underclothes, he sat down, pulling his bag over to use as a pillow. His robes became his blanket. "Make sure to get some rest as well, Maeron!" Kai says as he lays down.

Maeron sits, stiff, and slowly resumes eating and eventually the tension lessens somewhat. When thanked for the food, he startles again but gives a nod. "Y-you're welcome." He replies but his eyes widen when the other starts to undress before laying down. Eventually he shakes his head and starts cleaning up after dinner. Once the leftovers are packed away, and the dishes gathered, he goes to wash them in the river. Shira follows along giving him the silent companionship he's so used to and become so reliant on.

"I don't know what to do Shira, he's so different from those back home." He says softly. The snake looks up at him and flicks its tongue before lifting up to nudge his cheek. Maeron gives a small forced smile, lightly strokes the top of Shira's head, and then finishes washing and drying the dishes before heading back. Thankfully the trip back is uneventful, but he stays alert as shapes move in the surrounding forest.

Once safely back in the cave, he puts the supplies away before going to his own spot to curl up and get some rest after tending the fire. Shira curls up against him and together they drift off to sleep. Come morning he rises early and starts taking inventory of the supplies he has left and starts making a list of things he needs to get before they start looking for this factory. "...I'm going to need to go to a town soon." He says softly when he notices that he could use more first aide supplies, clothing, blankets, and just other odds and ends.

With a soft sigh he also notes that he should probably stock up on some more meat and whatever herbs and such he can find and carry. Standing up he dusts himself off and turns to go gather some items to start breakfast before gathering up what he can. He has Shira stay to keep an eye on the cave and Kai before heading out. He feels like fish today so he heads to the river and starts setting up some lines then settles down to watch them.

Just as he's about to sit down, something lunges at him from the river. Jumping back he dodges what appears to be... slime? Crouching he watches in fascination as the blob forms the shape of a woman that looks at him before approaching. Crouching he starts to draw a sword as he watches then lunges forward to slash through the creature.

Going to bed early was a good idea. Kai just felt a little guilty that he did not help Maeron clean up... But he figured it was for the best. The poor guy seemed like he needed his personal space for a while and Kai figured he would just let him have his freedom. The elf was very confident Maeron would not leave him while he slept anyway. He had high hopes of truly befriending Maeron, if the other male would be open to it. Not too long after he laid down, Kai felt very drowsy, until finally, he let sleep take him. While he slept, he dreamed of beautiful things, seeing a grand city with a colorful sky, grassy plains, flowers in full bloom... and Maeron was there too.

The morning came too fast for Kai, as he did not even rise out of bed until the sun was already up. Oh wow! He must have slept in! Maeron should have woken him up! The elf looked around the cave and seeing it empty, he quickly got up. "Maeron..?" He called out softly, wondering where his new companion went. However Kai found the cave to be void of life... Until he notices the big snake all curled up, staring at him. "Shira?" Kai tilts his head in curiosity. "Where's... Maeron..?" He asks before catching himself. "Ah, sorry. I don't speak snake... So nevermind..." What could a snake tell him anyway? But then again, Shira seemed to be very smart. Surely Maeron taught her many things. Kai was unsure of what he should do. He wasn't too worried about Maeron, he knew the other male could handle himself. The fact that he left Shira behind was a sure sign that he would return. Kai didn't have a single doubt in his mind.

Well... What should he do? Since it was still the early morning, the elf could bet that the snakeman went to look for food, given that they were low to begin with. Awe, well now Kai felt bad about leaving Maeron to clean up last night. The guy was generous enough to get food for him as well- ...it was a hunch. There was the chance that he was just taking a walk? Or maybe got lost... However, Kai had a hard time imagining Maeron getting lost. He seemed like the kind of guy who, once he figured out where to go, he would not ever get lost. Who knew? There was still so much to learn about his new companion. The elf was unsure of how he could bridge the gap between them. Was friendly terms too much to ask? Did Maeron prefer to keep everyone at a distance? Possibly. That did not sit well with Kai though...

Oh... "Ah!" Kai had an ah-ha moment. "Perhaps I should make two friends. That would be better than one." Kai glanced over at Shira again, smiling softly. Would the snake allow such a thing? Could he really befriend a snake? Well, it was certainly worth trying- or so Kai thought. It also did not help that the elf was curious by nature. How should he go about approaching Shira, though? Kai thought he should just be very straightforward about it. "Pardon my manners, Shira, but I do not think I have extended my friendship towards you yet." Kai said, finally getting out of his makeshift bed. He crawled over towards Shira, a lazy smile on his face because he was still tired and had only woken up minutes ago.

The elf did not touch the snake, no, he wanted the snake to come to him. If Shira so chose, Kai would allow her to climb him as she would Maeron. "I know little of either of you. I am still learning how to befriend Maeron... But I was wondering if you would be my friend, too?" Kai suggested with a headnod. "You two seem to be the best of friends, and so I thought just now, if I could befriend you, surely I could befriend him too." The elf watched the snake, hoping that somehow Shira would understand and see that he only had good intentions. "I would like it very much if we could get along... And so-" Kai slowly extended his right hand toward Shira as an offering. "I extend my hand of friendship towards you as well. I have no quarrels with you, Shira. So if you could please give me a chance, I would be honored. So do as you like. May I touch you?" Or perhaps he should offer it the other way around, "You are allowed to climb onto me too." He wanted Shira to trust him. He really was trying here and he hoped that the big snake would understand.

Shira watches the elf without any noticeable trace of emotion or response to the other. While this Kai may not be human like the villagers, the snake is still distrusting towards this unknown male. Many before have tried to use the snake to control or get close to Maeron. Tongue flicking on occasion, the snake continues to watch and listen before letting out a low, angry hiss. Just like the others this elf thought to use Shira as a way to gain Maeron's trust.

Hissing still, Shira draws up until it almost seems to be looking down at the elf. Holding the other's gaze for a long moment the snake then turns to leave the cave and search for Maeron. The other has been gone far too long to gather some food. It seems to be most inconvenient to be anything other than a snake due to how often others seem to need to eat. Catching Maeron's scent, the snake heads towards the river leaving the elf alone in the cave.

As Maeron slashes at the slime he is irritated to see that his sword seems to slide through with very little resistance and no obvious signs of having done any damage to the creature. Letting out his own hiss of frustration he dodges an attack while looking around for anything he can use to defeat the slime. Striking out quickly and dodging once more,he notices that the places he's struck are in fact oozing liquid, it was just hard to see. Gritting his teeth in determination he begins a vicious onslaught until there's little left except a small puddle being sucked up by the earth and some slime being washed away in the river.

Sighing in aggravation at his lines and net being disturbed, he sets about resetting them then goes upstream a little ways to wash himself and his clothes free of sweat and slime. That done he once more settles down to try and catch some breakfast. Just as he settles down, Shira spots him and letting out an almost happy hiss speeds up before climbing up and around him until the snake's head is set on one shoulder. Laughing in surprise Maeron pets the snake then lets out a quiet yawn.

As the heat from the rock he's resting against heats him along with the warm sun, and Shira's comforting weight, the scaled man begins to drift a little while waiting for signs that breakfast has been caught.

Kai had offered a hand in friendship to Shira... and in return she hissed at him. What did he do wrong? The elf could only stare back in utter confusion. Did he do something to upset the snake? Did Shira just not like him? Kai had been hoping for the opposite reaction... Was he suspicious or something? If so, how? The blue eyed male had nothing but pure intentions. He could only assume that the both of them were well guarded... And that made Kai feel sad because he knew that it was for a reason. He would bet that the people of his village were the result of this kind of behavior. But to not trust anyone! What a lonesome life it must be!

On top of it all, Kai was utterly bummed that his friendship had been so obviously rejected. It struck a nerve in him and hurt his feelings. He was trying to be open about it. Sure he could see that Maeron had difficulties opening up, as it seemed that he never did... How could one become friends with someone who seemingly did not want to be friends? Maybe he would ask Maeron himself to see where the answer might be hiding. There was no such thing as a lost cause. The elf believed that if he tried, he truly could become his companions friend and he wanted that more than anything. Why did he value his friendship so much? Well why would he not? Kai was use to having friends and loved ones to depend on and support him. Now that he had a companion, he was not trying to force it on him, Kai was trying to befriend him.

There was also the fact that Kai was too stubborn to take no for an answer when it came to friendship. He would need a good reason of why they could not be friends. If asking was not going to work... Then somehow he was going to have to figure out how to gain Maerons trust and friendship. He really wanted the other male to feel comfortable around him. It bothered Kai that Maeron was not at ease when he was around... Yes, slowly but surely, he hoped he could manage at least friendship. Just thinking about being rejected made him feel glum.

On instinct he followed Shira while still in his undergarments, which he would also call his night clothes. Shira must have left to go to Maeron- or maybe even to run away from him. Guess he would find out. At one point he nearly lost sight of her as she suddenly sped up. Looking ahead he was able to see where she was going. Kai stopped in his tracks, just watching the other two interact with each other. They certainly have built a very strong bond together... Something Kai felt like he would never have, with Maeron or with anyone for that matter. Out of all the corrupt things in this world, what Maeron and Shira had was something so sweet and pure that even Kai found himself drawn and envious.

It was only morning but it was already warm. The underclothes he was wearing was already starting to make him sweat, at the same time he did just run here so that was to be expected. Seeing those two together made Kai feel unsure about himself. Would he be good enough to be called Maeron's friend? Kai almost felt unworthy. He wanted a friend much like Maeron was friends with Shira! Never had Kai had such a close companion ship besides with his brother. It was also to be noted that his brother was not actually his brother.

Kai could see Maeron lay down now. He looked more relaxed with Shira- by himself, than he was with him around. Kai crossed his arms across his chest and pouted. "I have got this." He said to himself, slapping both of his hands onto his cheeks. If he could not ask for friendship, he would work for it. Kai was determined. The elf quietly made his way out into the open. He glanced over at the other two who were still on the rock. He could guess that Maeron was fishing for breakfast. So Kai thought he would help. The river was shallow along the edge- he knew how to fish as he was taught by his fellow kin. The elf rolled up his bottoms so they would not get wet and then stepped right in.

The water was surprisingly warm, although it already looked like it would be a hot day... Kai felt like he was becoming dead weight. Maeron was doing everything for him. Taking on the fights, cooking for him and cleaning as well! He could not have that any longer. Kai would pick up the slack and aid his companion. So Kai found a spot that looked good and positioned himself. His eyes scanned the water for fish- Ah! There was one right.... there... Kai leaned slightly forward, hand striking the water with precision. This was a great activity for him to do anyway because it helped him release his frustration... upon the fish no less. Kai had managed to grab the fish with his bare hands, then he tossed it onto the ground behind him. Kai smiled wide once the fish landed on the ground. Yes, this would be good for him!

The elf took the liberty of catching another one, literally a minute after he caught the first one. A small giggle escaped him as he also tossed that one onto land. The elf had already made a goal of catching six fish. He would stay here until he accomplished his goal. At this rate, it would not be long, he was sure of it. Seeing another fish, he went to grab it, however he missed because he could not see it. Kai blew his hair out of the way... "Hmmn." He did not have anything to tie his hair up with... Oh! Kai had a perfect idea! Without even thinking about it Kai pulled off his shirt, bundling it around his hair and tying it up securely. "There we go." Then Kai resumed his pose, looking for more fish.

Having gotten comfortable and warm, Maeron actually falls asleep for a short nap. Normally he's unable to let his guard down or relax in an unfamiliar place, but after all the stress of the last few days his body just shuts down in order to cope. Besides, Shira is more dangerous than most creatures despite being a baby so having the snake with him helps him to fall into a light slumber.

A little while after he dozes off, he wakes up as a pole starts to shake setting off the small bell he'd attached to it. Jolting awake he quickly goes to work to get the fish in. Eventually he has a pretty good sized fish on the bank. With a small pleased smile he goes about checking the other pole and the net. As he's starting to bring in the net, he spots Kai and stiffens slightly. When did he get here? How long was I out for? He continues to bring in the net but takes note of the fish that Kai has apparently caught already.

Maeron is a bit surprised, and wary as to how the other found him. From what he has noticed the other doesn't seem to have a great ability to track. Perhaps he follow Shira? That would make more sense than Kai being able to find him on his own. Glancing back at the fish the elf has, he wonders if that's supposed to be for both of them or just for Kai. While the other seems nice enough, plenty of others have played the trick of making him think they were working together then taking all or almost all of fruits of labor. This would leave Maeron with very little for a meal.

Keeping a suspicious eye on the elf, he finishes pulling in the net. With a low sound of satisfaction he notes that there are two fish in there that are a good eating size and then one larger one that could be added to the smoked meat reserves he's building. He quickly takes care of the items then settles down to clean the fish then wrap the meat for transport back to the cave. Setting the bundles near Shira, he then adjusts his cloak to make a small basket of sorts. This causes most of Maeron's covered form to be revealed, but also makes his oddly patterned hair be visible as well. The shifting gold and white pattern catches the sun as he sets about gathering some herbs and berries to take back with the fist.

After gathering a fair amount, possibly more than needed even for packing for future meals, he goes back and sets the fish on top of his spoils. Shira follows him as he decides to head back to the cave so he can cook up the fish and then start exploring for the day. He pauses near Kai. "I'm heading back." Loud enough for the other to hear, he then pauses to allow Kai a chance to respond before he continues on.

• 2 weeks later...

By the time Maeron wakes up and even notices Kai, he is already tossing the fourth fish onto land. The elf of course does not notice that the other has awoken until he hears the net being pulled out of the water. The elfling had calmed down by down and was actually enjoying himself as he hunted for fish. He glanced over his shoulder when he heard Maeron's movements, but it was only for a moment. A small smile formed on his lips. He could not be grumpy forever nor be bummed that his friendship was denied again. He would have to work hard to gain both of their trusts. He did not know why but he thought that catching fish was a great way to start.

The elf felt warm under the sun. Heck, he could see that his skin was burning from the intensity. He knew that he should either head back soon or heal himself. Kai shrugged, a little burn would not hurt him too much. Out of curiosity, Kai had glanced over his shoulder again to see what the other male was up to... Huh. He did not see him. The elf shrugged indifferently, maybe he went home already... without him. With a sigh, Kai lunged at the water again, successfully pulling out another fish. Tossing it onto land effortlessly, he only had one more fish to go. Ah... There was his last fish- Suddenly Kai was startled when he heard Maeron's voice from behind him. Kai had been in the middle of pulling the fish out when Maeron talked. "H-Huh?!" He exclaimed in surprise in surprise, juggling the fish in his hands until, sadly, the fish slipped away. The fish had splashed him...

"M-Maeron? You are still here..? I thought you already left me. Sorry I did not notice you approaching as I was distracted. Trying to catch fish, you know?" Kai appeared to be flustered at being caught off guard. His expression changed quickly once his eyes made contact with Maeron's figure. Eyes widened in awe and a smile effortlessly formed on his face as he blurted the first thing that came to his mind, which might have been a bad thing, "Wow Maeron! You are very beautiful!" He said in awe, his eyes lit up as he saw more of the other male exposed. The impulse to touch his shiny scales was certainly a strong force to be reckoned with, but Kai refrained. In fact, it almost looked like he was blushing, it was hard to tell. His ears, cheeks and even his nose were a light pink- from the sun or from him blushing, Maeron would probably never be able to fully guess correctly.

The elf noticed how much food the other male has collected and his jaw dropped. "Well... I was going to ask if you would like to take the fish back to the cave... But it seems like your hands are already full and I do not wish to burden you..." Kai said with hesitation. "I was going to catch one more fish, I admit, before heading back as well... However, I do know that these fish will not do so well in this hot sun. Perhaps I should head back with you." Kai did not want to make Maeron carry everything by himself, no, he could not allow that. With that in mind, Kai pulled off his shirt that was wrapped around his head and started to head to shore. The elf picked up each fish, putting them into his shirt and using it as a sack. "I hope you have worked up an appetite, Maeron. I was hoping to make today's first meal using the fish that I have gathered. I also intend to make a few more potions with the scraps that we have, if that is okay with you."

After picking up all of his fish he made his way to Maeron's side, looking at his face the whole time. "Ah... I am sorry for staring at you... I am a little overwhelmed with how beautiful your skin is." His compliment was genuine, expressed very openly on his face. "Sorry if I come off as too forward, Maeron, I know you are somewhat self conscious about it. However, I believe if something is beautiful, why hold back a compliment?" He said cheerfully. "Although it does appear that your hair needs some brushing... If you would like, I would not be against brushing it for you." Kai suggested as he pulled his makeshift bag over his right shoulder. "Let us travel 'home', now shall we?" Kai said with a soft smile and began to lead the way.

Maeron jolts and just stares at Kai in shock and suspicion. No one has ever complimented his scales or coloring. No one. Ever. Yet here is this stranger from another land who seems fixated and fascinated with his appearance. His appearance which he goes to great lengths to hide.

Shifting away from the elf, he looks away as he starts walking. He tenses causing Shira to hiss and look at him then almost seeming to glare at Kai for upsetting Maeron. "I-I'll take care of my hair myself." He mutters walking quickly towards the cave. First his scales and now wanting to brush his hair? Just what is wrong with this person? Frowning in thought he wonders if maybe it's a race or culture thing for Kai. If that was the case then it would make more sense than Kai being genuinely interested in him.

"And that's fine. You can use all the scraps you want." He eventually mutters when they near the cave. Shira keeps nudging his cheek until he glances over and offers the concerned snake a small smile. "I'm fine. No need to worry." He murmurs reassuringly stroking between the reptile's eyes. Teh snake almost seems to squint then huff unconvinced before slithering off to go wander off somewhere.

As he goes to start cooking breakfast he pauses suddenly remembering that Kai had mentioned that he was going to make the meal this time. Hesitating for a moment he reluctantly shifts to take care of the meat he has so that it can join the other meat he has smoking before being packed away for later use. Some of which he packs away now as it's done, but eventually he stops and starts thinking of how to start mapping out where to look next. They've explored part of the lake around them, maybe continue around that and head towards the mountains?

With a sigh he shoves a hand through his hair before deciding to tend to his equipment in awkward silence while waiting for breakfast to be done. After eating and cleaning up he'll start exploring in earnest. Hopefully he won't run into too many monsters right away.

• 2 weeks later...

Just as Kai thought. Maeron seemed to stiffen right up the moment he mentioned his scales. The elf found himself slightly amused when Maeron reacted this way. Poor thing, it almost looked like he had never been told how pretty he was before. It almost made Kai feel bad. He did not want to come off as if he was teasing the snake man. They were almost opposites apparently, where Kai was straightforward about his feelings and expression, Maeron was, to say the least, very shy about pretty much everything and distrusting. The elf could only wonder and hope that over time the other male would consider opening up to him more.

Now that he thought about it, their relationship was merely the journey keeping them together. The moment Maeron had become his ally was also the moment he became his friend. Therefore, Kai felt saddened at the thought that they might split one day. That road was possibly a short one and there was nothing that the elfling could think of that would prolong his friends' stay. Then again, even Shira seemed to be distrusting of the elf and that made Kai upset. He could not think of any reason why he would be deemed untrustworthy. Alas, the elf was probably too pure to know, but perhaps would learn over time. The elf was too trusting as well, never had he learned to be overwhelmingly weary of others- unless of course, they were demons for example.

Once back at camp the elf starts right away. After gaining permission to use the scraps for his potions, Kai went to work by pulling out one fish at a time. Yuck, he would have to wash his shirt later. Setting the fish aside, Kai went about cutting the fish. One fish at a time, the first thing the elf did was cut off the fins. Next, he went ahead and scaled the fish. After making sure the scales were off, he went ahead and began to dig his knife into the fish's gills, then the back of the neck- the elf properly broke its head off. He would now need to gut the fish. With ease he was able to pull the guts out, even the bloodline of the fish was pulled out. After cutting off the fins of the tail, Kai decided that the fish was ready to cook. The elf was quick to impale the fish with a smooth stick, setting it on the ground and propped in a manner that it would not burn while he worked on the next fish.

Soon, Kai had managed to cook five fish effortlessly. As he did, the elf had piled up the scraps, knowing that he would use them later. With the sticks still attached, Kai set three fish onto a plate, then two on another plate. "I am done. Sorry for the wait." Kai looked over to where Maeron was, and looked for Shira as well- but with no luck, he did not see her. He was still uneasy about this morning's failure to address their friendship. Kai let out a small sigh and his shoulders sagged for a moment. Oh well... Kai straightened himself out again, grabbing the two plates and then moving to go sit with Maeron. The elf plopped down in front of the other male, setting the fish with three fish on it in front of Maeron, while he got the plate with two fish on it. Kai's stomach just then made a gurgling noise, which made the elf exhale. Without even hesitating, the elf begins to eat his share.

• 2 weeks later...

When Kai sits in front of him, and a plate suddenly appears in his vision, he starts and jumps up and back crouching as though prepared instantly to defend himself. After a few moments he returns to the present and realizes that it wasn't one of the villagers coming after him or a monster attacking. Still, it takes a few long moments before his heart slows down and he warily settles himself back down feeling embarrassed and on edge. Having seated himself where he'd lept back to, he warily reaches out to pull the plate back to him.

Watching Kai from under his lashes, he keeps expecting the other to yank the plate away from him. Pausing in near disbelief when it's once more before him, he starts to eat after absently tugging his hood to make sure it was in place out of habit. Eating quickly he's soon done and goes to gather up the dishes to clean them before he gets ready to head out and make use of the remaining daylight. At that time Shira returns moving a little more slowly than usual.

Soon it becomes clear, as the large snake climbs and settles on Maeron's shoulders, that it had gone out and gotten something to eat as well. With a long and wide yawn, the snake settles down for a nap. Soon the dishes are cleaned and put away. Gathering his pack that has some first aide and the smoked food that was done, he turns to head out after making sure his swords are in place.

Hesitating he gives a quick glance back at the other male. Is he expected to ask the other to come along, is he expected to search and fight on his own, or are they each to do their own thing? After an internal debate he decides that though they may be companions with a cause, he is not the other's keeper. "I'm going out." Is all he says leaving it up to Kai if he's going to join or not, and with that he starts walking in the direction he's picked for the day.

• 3 weeks later...

The elf was at a loss for words after seeing Maeron's reaction... Goodness... It was like Kai could sense the other male's fear, seeping out of him in a manner that was alarming. Now he could tell that Maeron's inner scars were much deeper than he anticipated. Kai sat there quietly, baffled and confused and in wonderment. The villagers that the snake man spoke of, Kai was sure caused this reaction. How could Kai even begin to calm the other male down? When they had become allies, it seemed promising and hopeful. An ally was nearly an essential to surviving the tainted lands of Mareth...

Interestingly enough, Maeron seemed to be nearly oblivious to the taint and Kai feared that the taint would find him one day, and when it did... Kai feared that he would lose his comrade to the corruption. Maybe he should be afraid of the villagers that scared Maeron, seemingly mentally torturing him even though they are nowhere to be found. Potions could only heal physical wounds... They did nothing for the mental wounds, sadly... Kai knew of an enchantment that would take away corruption, thusly giving it to himself to expel... But that wasn't what Maeron was dealing with... No... Poor thing was traumatized.

It was really hard for Kai to sit there quietly and eat but he felt that it was the right thing to do. He didn't want to embarrass the snake man more than he already was... So breakfast, for Kai at least, felt like... It was unsatisfying and didn't go the way he had planned. Goodness... Goodness... Goodness... As a natural healer Kai felt compelled to help Maeron somehow, but how? Everything he tried thus far only seemed to lodge a bigger gap, a bigger hole between them. It was hard to work with someone who did not fully trust you. After breakfast, while Maeron is doing the dishes, Kai managed to quickly whip up two potions, one that would heal poison and the other that would heal flesh wounds. He felt the need to make more potions, after all he never knew when the time would come when he would need these and he would rather be safe than sorry.

It is evident that Maeron planned on journeying out again today. There was still plenty of day time. There was no hesitation. Kai got his stuff around quickly. When he tries to pull on his robe, Kai is met with a light burning sensation. Ah yes, he forgot... Reaching into his bag, he pulled out a small corked bottle and opened it. Kai stuck two fingers in and then pulled them out, revealing a light cream lotion. Quickly applying it to his arms, face and even his pointy ears, he pulls his robe on again. The lotion immediately absorbed into his skin, healing him instantly. After corking the bottle again, Kai checks for a few more things before Maeron tells him that he is leaving. With a nod Kai stands up while picking up his bag. Grabbing his bow and arrows, Kai replies, "Then I will go with you." It was unclear to the elf whether or not he should be tagging along, but Maeron had not said otherwise. Plus, as a comrade and as a healer, Kai felt that it was his job to look after Maeron, whether he appreciated it or not...

So without a second thought the elf follows the snake man, whichever way he may go. Kai was unsure where Maeron was going, so he merely followed quietly.

• 2 weeks later...

Maeron both isn't surprised and frustrated that Kai follows him out. He has no reason to really refuse the other coming with him, outside of the one brief interaction with the tentacle monster when they met, he can't say for sure the other has no combat ability. Not too mention that it was Kai who suggested that they be traveling companions. By the very definition that means that they should explore together or at least communicate their plans so they understand what the other is doing. Not that either of us have really talked about how to go about this... He thinks while heading deeper into the forest.

He figures that heading towards the mountains is the best bet as a high point might allow them to spot the factory and identify any weak points it may have. With a soft sigh he adjusts his pack and continues to trudge on in silence. After awhile Maeron signals for them to take a break by a small stream. Shira slides off and goes into the woods as Maeron sits down and pulls out some dried meat to chew on.

Glancing up he figures they've been on the move for a few hours now as it's not quite noon yet. He shifts his gaze and frowns slightly seeing that the mountains are still a ways off yet. Unless they really pick up the pace there's no way they'll reach them before nightfall and have time to find a safe place to rest. With a soft sigh he finishes the few pieces he'd pulled out to eat then drinks some water.

Standing up he looks over at Kai. "Ready?" He asks while preparing to start off again. If nothing else he'd like to go a little further to see if there's any noticeable spots to return to before calling it a day. Once Kai gives the affirmative he sets off again, this time the pace a bit faster, but still alert as he keeps an eye out for anything that may try to attack them. Needless to say a few imps and such make an appearance, however, they were all easily and swiftly dealt with.

Slowly, almost without noticing until suddenly they were about knee deep in it (almost literally), Maeron stops as they have stepped into a swamp. "Well, this is... unexpected." He says softly while looking around and looks for slightly more solid ground so that he's not ankle deep in muck. Finding some ground that almost works as a path, he gets out of the murky water. "We need to be careful." He says softly looking around. The qualities of a swamp will make it difficult to hear anything coming at them.

Just as he says that a shape blurs by in the nearby trees. Crouching, he quickly draws his swords and waits for whatever went by to show itself.

• 3 weeks later...

Following Maeron was turning out to be quite the adventure. Simple at first. A few imps came out here and there. Around noon-ish they took a break, which Kai was more than happy to share a snack with Maeron. He too noticed how they seemed to be far from the mountain, and in fact had already guessed Maeron was aiming for higher ground. The deeper they went into the forest, the more and more its features changed. Of course there were more imps along the way to distract them... But Kai had noticed the way the trees changed, the way the ground seemed to be getting softer and softer beneath his feet.

Before he even knew what was happening, they both suddenly found themselves at a swamp... How strange. Kai thought. As the land looked like it just changed from forest to swamp. Maeron had even seemed surprised. They both had somehow ended up almost knee deep in the swamp's muck. Technically, Kai had never been to a swamp before. They did not have these back home. He did, however, read about them and was told about them by his elders. It was... quite the experience seeing it first hand. The swamp's muck felt much more... gross? muddy? mucky... than he was told. Well, at least he can say that he traveled through a swamp. A tale to be told when- if he ever journeyed home.

Seeing Maeron tense up also had Kai on high alert. He was overly wary already about his surroundings- but it was when Maeron tensed up, Kai was more worried and stressed. He knew all too well of the corruptions of this world... and he feared whatever the swamp might throw at them... However... Kai was not sure he was ready to see this. It was amazing how seemingly soundproof the swamp was because... not even fifty feet to their left was an enormous spider's nest. "Maeron-" Kai called out in a hushed whisper, his reaction was to crouch lower and point at the giant nest. Luckily, neither of them had been spotted yet. They were near some mangled looking bushes.

Near the nest was a Drider... It looked to be a female with grotesque- mostly spider body. Her breasts here roughly the size of melons- she was completely naked. And she was talking with another spider-kin, a male who looked more human than spider. His lower half was that of the spider- just like the female he was naked too. Goodness, gracious... Thought Kai, who resisted the urge to attempt to talk some decency into the two creatures. No, Kai knew too well that he would be overpowered- Maybe with Maeron's aid... but still, they would not listen to him... Plus, Kai was very much uneasy about the webs they could produce... Knowing, that if either of them got caught, likely, and unfortunately they would meet one of two fates. Either they would be raped, or they would be raped and killed. Rape was nearly always a guarantee.

Oh... man... Kai cupped a hand over his mouth as the Drider suddenly pushed the male to the ground, tying him down with her webs. She was saying something along the lines of, 'I'm gonna fuck you soooo good... You're gonna have ALL of my babies... And to both Kai's bewilderment and shock, she started to do exactly what she planned. The Drider started to have sex with the halfling, with no mercy at all or care for his well being.

• 2 weeks later...

Maeron looks around with an increasing sense of disquiet. The amount of webs and size of them assures him that this is not a good area for them to linger. As if to prove him right the two odd spider-humanoid creatures appear. His face pales, which causes the areas with scales to stand out starkly if one were able to see them, and his initial response to the rape is to try to help the male being forced. When he goes to draw his swords though he stops and forces himself to keep them sheathed. In a very low, barely audible voice, he leans over to Kai. "We need to go while we can."

Even if he is able to defeat the large female, there is no guarantee that she's alone or that the two wouldn't use the opportunity to attack both of them. For all he knows this is just the mating ritual of this species, despite the feeling in his gut that it isn't. Still, this is a good chance for them to slip on by and find a better area to get their bearings and get a plan together. His plan for today had NOT included finding a swamp near the mountains, but most especially not coming across giant spider-human creatures.

Carefully, and moving so that he makes as little disturbance and sound as possible, Maeron slowly eases away. He barely breath as he keeps an eye on both the two creatures and their surroundings to make sure that they don't trip any alarms or accidentally bump into something else. Last thing they need is the attention of every nearby monster by bringing attention to themselves. He only relaxes once all sight, sound, and traces of those creatures are gone.

Sighing heavily he leans against a tree after making sure that nothing else is around. "What were those things? First a perverted plant, then a three headed dog, and now two versions of some kind of giant spider?" Muttering under under his breath he wonders, for the first time, if all this risk is worth it to save a village that would probably be happy to be rid of him regardless of success or failure. Though saving them and dying in the end is probably their preferred outcome, if he were to allow himself to thing of the honest truth.

"We should probably keep moving and either find someplace in this swamp that will be safe enough to stay the night in, or head back to the campsite if we can get out." He says louder for Kai to hear him while looking over to see how the other is doing. For now they seem to be relatively safe, but that won't last long and the day is starting to get late.

• 4 weeks later...

Kai is more than happy to leave the area. So he follows Maeron closely and as quietly as he possibly can. Both fear and adrenaline fuel him. The run for a good while, or at least until there is no trace of those nasty spiders anymore. Nevertheless, Kai is more worried. Now that they are travelling outside of the cave, that meant more dangers lie ahead of them. Kai knew Mareth was now a tainted land, filled with horrendous corruptions. The elfling feared that it would only get worse from here. But he would definitely press on. What choice did he have in the matter? He was the 'chosen one', so to speak. And it wasn't like Kai was going to back down from this challenge... Not when his nightmares are plagued with the fear and travesty that will befall his homeland if he fails. A lot of weight has been placed on his shoulders and Kai hopes that he can pull through for his people.

Relief finally floods through his veins once he feels that they are safe... at least for now. The only issue they have now was they they were too far to travel home. It was be dark by the time they could find the cave again, even so... The elf was terrified of what would be lurking in the dark. Surely foul creatures of the night. And then there was his companion, Maeron, who seemed like he had never seen anything like this before. Well, technically speaking neither had Kai, but he had read about them in books and other elves talked about driders. So while he was a little freaked out, apparently he was more stable than Maeron. He heard what the other male had said. "You puzzle me a great deal... It is as if you have never seen nor heard of driders... To put it simply, from what I was told, driders- or those spider people we saw, were in fact human at one point but due to the corruption they have been transformed."

The elf made sure to speak softly, still wary of their surroundings. "All of those things you listed, they are all because of the demons that have taken over Mareth. They have corrupted her lands... and I can tell that she is struggling to keep control. I have a feeling that there is not much time left. How long? I have not a clue, I just have a feeling that if this is not stopped... Then all of Mareth will fall to corruption and nowhere will be safe anymore." Kai said, his eyes drifting to the ground as he let out a soft, defeated sigh.

"I do not think heading home is an option right now. It is awfully dark right now and I do not think we will make it, even if we run. It would be best to find a temporary home. Some place that will provide enough shelter will suffice for now." Kai said after looking up. It looked like it was going to rain... Looking about, his eyes narrowed when he looked into the distance. "Hmmn, I think there is a hollowed tree way over there. Perhaps that might be our safe haven for the night?" From a distance, it looked like it would be sufficient enough to provide shelter from the rain. "Let us go now, with haste, looks like it will rain." And so, Kai lead the way to the hollowed out tree.

Upon their arrival, and much to Kai's relief, the tree appeared to be free of vile creatures. And it was a good thing he spotted this because it was just starting to rain. The tree was gigantic. Kai could even stand while inside the hollowed part of the tree. It was not the best situation but it would do for the night. Actually the elf was a little tense. While he liked rain... he had a big fear of the sound that lightning made- thunder. "What do you think, Maeron? It seems like we will be stuck here for the night, does it not?" He asks softly, pulling out a small bag of nuts he had with him. "Would you like a snack?"

• 4 weeks later...

Maeron sighs softly as he accepts the truth of Kai's words. Going back to the cave is not an option at this point as moving around in the dark in unfamiliar territory would be the height of folly. They would would most likely be caught and raped, or the slightly better option, die as they wandered through the swamp trying to get out to find their way back. When Kai begins to head towards the tree, he frowns at their luck of having a found a place for the night so quickly.

Slowly he follows the other to the tree and doesn't notice the way the elf was starting to tense. "I think this seems too convenient." He mutters softly while standing at the opening of the hollow tree to look inside. At the next question hi gaze shifts to the other and the offered snack. Shaking his head slightly he takes a step back. "I am going to make a quick perimeter so should anything come too close we have time to get away." With that he slips back out into the rain and begins the task of setting up a ground alarm and something higher up. Even then he isn't satisfied that they'll be safe. There are far too many routes to the tree and ways for those spider things to get to them.

Feeling tense and unhappy with the situation, he goes back to eat some of his own provisions before settling in to stand guard. He doesn't even dare risk a fire to help them stay warm as it may draw attention to their location or set their tenuous shelter alight. Letting out another small sigh, he approaches the tree and slowly eases in but stays near the entrance. Sitting down he sets his pack beside him before pulling out some of his dried meat to eat. Perhaps he should make some ration bars if trips like these are going to be the norm.

Glancing at the other, he finally notices that Kai is looking stressed. "You can get some rest. I'll stand watch." He states thinking the other is just tired and worn out from their time in the swamp. The spongy terrain does make walking and such more taxing than flat, or even just solid, ground would be. What's worse is that even if Kai offered to help stand watch so he could sleep, Maeron isn't sure he'd be able to accept. At some point Shira had gone off and had yet to return. With having seen those giant webs and the creatures that make them, he is worried about his closest friend and companion. It doesn't appear as though sleep will be had in the near future.

Looking out of the hollowed tree's entrance, he watches the rain while trying to keep an eye out for Shira even as he knows it will be a fruitless endeavor. Between the rain and lack of light he'd be fortunate enough to even spot one of those spider creatures walking by let alone something that moves silently and would blend in perfectly. Unlike myself. He thinks absently as his skin would be like a beacon to any and all creatures in this terrain should his outer layers be removed. Finishing his portion of meat he moves on to a grain bar he'd made some time ago, though it's more out of the need to have something to occupy himself with than any real hunger.

During all this he neglects to see if the other has taken advantage of his offer to get some rest, or really notice anything his travel companion is doing.

• 3 weeks later...

"Well it is all we have got for now." Kai said softly, frowning as he could tell that the other male was unhappy with there situation. Sadly there was nothing he could do to help solve the issue. Kai only wished that he could ease the other males' wariness. The elf often felt worried for his comrade. To some degree, his curiosity for the other male continued to fester within him. Resisting to ask questions was hard for him. Kai really did not want to make the other male more uncomfortable than he already appeared to be whenever he was around him.

As soon as Maeron left, Kai did his best to hold himself together. The rain did not bother him in the slightest. It was the lightning that shook the skies that frightened Kai. Often the noise made him remember his nightmares that often haunted his dreams. The noise also hurt his ears too. Now that Maeron was gone, even for a small amount of time, it allowed him to vent his weakness. Whenever he heard lightning, it struck fear into his heart and he always found himself tearing up. Of course he could use lightning magic, but that was lightning he could control... The lightning from the sky was often unforgiving...

A sudden loud strike pieced both the sky and Kai's ears. The elf flinched, a misplaced step backwards had him falling down landing on his butt. "O-ouch..." Oh great, he was such a klutz! Thankfully Maeron had not seen him. Still, Kai tried to whip his eyes the best he could when Maeron had finally returned. He didn't want to worry the other male probably more than he already was. Luckily the other male hadn't noticed that he had been crying. He had pulled his knees up to his chest, mostly to hide and also to hide the fact that he had been crying. At the mention of sleep Kai hummed, knowing that he would have a very difficult time sleeping. Whenever lightning struck he would always awake from his sleep.

Usually, Kai would have someone hold him... Like his brother or any of the other elves... However, he knew that Maeron was different. The other male seemed to avoid contact if he could... Much to Kai's displeasure he felt that he could not seek comfort in Maeron. He felt that they had not bonded enough to be that close. However, as the minutes ticked on by, Kai became more and more upset by the lightning. The mere noise made him shake and tears threatened to pour from his eyes. Sleep was beyond him at this point. And as every minute passed by, Kai felt more and more compelled to have contact with Maeron. He simply wanted to be held and comforted.

As more time passed, Kai became more and more desperate. His tears would not stop because his mind kept reliving those nightmares. By now the elf needed to be held. He longed for the physical contact. So the elf got up quietly and approached the other male on hands and knees. "M... Maeron?" He whimpered softly. "Might... Might I seek comfort-?" Kai found himself cut off by the loud boom of a lightning strike. The elf yelped, visibly jumped and on instinct lurched himself at the other male. Kai wrapped his arms around the other male and he pressed his forehead to Maeron's chest. "M-My apologies! I cannot help it any longer. Forgive my weakness, but I require some comfort." Kai was still shaking, tears still falling from his eyes. "P-Please Maeron..? Forgive me."

• 1 month later...

Maeron watches the storm and, compared to the other, seems to almost relax as he watches the flashes of light. However, he stays vigilant trying to keep watch for any monsters that may try to catch them unaware or take shelter in their tree. The tree is surprisingly dry despite the downpour that is going on. Small favors. He thinks while hoping that Shira returns soon.

He shifts hearing Kai's voice, or at least thinking so. The noise from the storm makes it hard to hear much. At least until the other jumps and lurches. When Kai is suddenly on him and clinging, Maeron freezes and stiffens not used to contact from anything except Shira and other animals. Never another being, and never willingly. "C-comfort?" The very word is foreign to him, never mind being able to give or receive it to another person. "Wh-what do you mean c-comfort?" He asks just as stiffly as his body is frozen.

He has no idea on how to comfort someone. Growing up even if he cried or had gotten hurt the villagers had either ignored him, told him to man up, or given enough treatment to make sure he'd heal or recover if ill but nothing more than that. If he ever wanted company he had learned to seek it from the snakes that were always around him. They weren't particularly talkative or affectionate in the way that most are familiar with it. Maeron may not be overly familiar with interactions, but he's fairly certain that you don't interact with people the same way he interacts with snakes.

While waiting for a response, he forgets to keep an eye out and so misses the shift in shadows. After a few moments a pair of glowing eyes appear. They vanish with the next flash of lightning. However, Mearon starts to feel the sense of unease return and wonders where Shira is.

• 1 month later...

Kai could sense how stressed Maeron became when he clung onto him. He felt ashamed of himself, clinging into the other male while in fear of a silly storm. The elf was straddling Maeron's lap, his hands resting on the other males chest. Kai instinctively nuzzled his face against Maeron, eventually his elf ear pressed against him, just over Maeron's heart. The rhythmic pulse of Maeron's heartbeat was very calming to Kai, lulling him to sleep. To answer Maeron's question, Kai breathed in slowly and said, "All I ask is that you hold me... That alone is comforting enough." His voice was more calm now. "I am sorry for bothering you with this... I guess I have been spoiled by my kin. For the most part, whenever a bad storm occurs someone, usually my brother holds me. Some times he runs his hand through my hair, reads me stories, sings to me... Things like that... I am but a weakling, scared of the silliest thing, the booming sound of lightning."

A thought occurs to him and he realizes that based on what Maeron said just now, the other male was... "Maeron..? Are you saying..." No... It could not be so... Surely he was misinterpreting... Yes, this had to be a misunderstanding. But... Just to be sure, Kai looked up and placed his chin where his ear had been. He asked, "Did your people never comfort you in your time of need? Surely that is not the case, right? I mean, what about family? Did your mother never hold you as a child- or in some instances, did your father not hold you as a child? Do you not have siblings?" He did not want to assume that Maeron was born from a woman, as in these lands that was not always the case. Male pregnancy was nearly just as common.

The elf did understand that he might have been prying into Maeron's personal affairs, but... He could not help his curiosity. Maeron made him curious about many things and whatever he was willing to share, Kai was willing to listen and learn. Mostly, he just wanted the other male to open up. Yes, they were still new to each other but how else were they suppose to trust each other, depend on one another and so on so forth if they knew little about each other? For some, that could be accomplished, but for Kai, there was no deal. As long as Maeron was his comrade, he would continue to ask about him unless told to stop. He hoped that he could get the other male to open up to him.

As he was talking, thinking about Maeron, Kai noticed something different. Like how he felt. Maeron was different from the other elves, and he had never sat on someone's lap like this before. Nor had he been comforted by someone that was not of elf decent. Kai moved his head again, right back to the original position with his ear pressed against Maeron's chest. The other male was warm and inviting... And Kai briefly wondered what Maeron's scaly skin felt like... He didn't know yet, mostly because he had never been injured enough to require powerful healing... And Kai wondered... If Maeron would be disgusted by his healing magic- maybe scared? It was part of the reason he made potions- they were an easy remedy to replenish health.... Though not to the degree that his physical contact could be.

While he was thinking, Kai's hands had slid down slowly and he ended up wrapping his arms around the other male. Originally he had planned to sleep... But with the storm, he panicked and now here he was... Maeron was so... comfortable and warm... And the more he thought about the other male, the more he found himself interested and intrigued... and surprisingly horny... Was it hot in here? Or was he burning up? Kai felt compelled to take off his clothes- no strip them off... And- and...

Never had he felt such a strong desire to mate with someone before. At the realization, not only did Kai flush from embarrassment but he also stiffened. His eyes glues themselves to the ground. Now what in the world had gotten into him? A simple cuddle session should not have gotten him this riled up... The more he tried to think himself out of it, the more his mind slipped into lewd thoughts... He let out a long sigh, both frustrated and embarrassed with what what happening to him. Perhaps if he distracted himself with conversation all of these feelings would go away? And so Kai blurted out the first thing that came to his lewd mind, "When was the last time you had sex? Pardon the question but you do not strike me as the kind of man who has a high libido..."

So I have to 'comfort' him until the storm is done? Maeron thinks feeling a little incredulous and more than a little freaked out. This concept of offering comfort by giving physical contact is completely foreign to him. He can't even begin to imagine a place where touch is so easily and freely given as Kai details what his people did for him when he was frightened. Not once can he recall an instance where he had any experiences such as being sung to or had a kind hand run through his hair.If such treatment were given to him as a child he would have eagerly taken it, but now he would be nearly frozen as he battled between feelings of fight or flight, even if some longing to accept would be entwined.

When asked about his family, Maeron stiffens and responds in a tight voice that states no further conversation on the subject will be tolerated. "I have no family." Repeatedly he was told of how he had been found abandoned amongst the cliffs that the village all but forbade anyone to go near so as to avoid angering the creatures that live there. Over and over he heard how he should be grateful that the village elder chose to let him live and be raised by the village instead of killed for his blasphemous existence.

As a chiild, if he cried due to a hurt or being scared, he was scolded and told that such as he should not cry so easily. If he got sick then Maeron, as a child, would be isolated in little more than a hovel with someone delegated the task of seeing him recovered. After he got old enough, however, he was expected to take care of himself unless death was approaching. The same approach was done with food and clothing, though he was expected to get his own sooner versus later. His life had not been a kind or easy one, and so if he developed a distrust of all those that sought to get close to him, who could blame him?

As Kai wraps around him and stays on his lap, the more tense he grows until he is like a line about to snap. His fingers twitch with the conflicting thoughts and desires of wanting to remove the other from his person versus letting the other fall asleep first THEN moving him off. Either way he wants the contact to end, especially as he is sure that something is approaching their campsite.

Just when he was starting to, minutely, relax as he returns to trying pierce the dark and rain for another glimpse of whatever was out there, Kai startles him with the random question. Jolting, Maeron snaps his head around to stare wide-eyed at Kai. "What?!" It is not a shout, but it is certainly louder than the elf has ever heard the other get before. Recovering slightly, his eyes narrow and a slight hiss can be heard. "I do not think that is any of your concern or business. We are companions as we travel due to having a common goal of sorts. That does not mean that you have the right to pry into my personal affairs. Particularly when we are little more than strangers."

If Maeron could see his own eyes, then he would know that they almost seem to glow at that moment. Not in a way that gives off any real light, but there is something there. Absently he knows he is overreacting slightly, but between the sudden and prolonged contact with the other and then the high stress of being stuck out in the middle of a swamp it is not surprising that his stress tries to find an easy outlet. Not too mention his skin is feeling a bit tight and achy, almost like when his new scales are about to come in. He doesn't shed like a snake, instead he almost seems to molt in that his scales fall off and new ones grow out, but he is not due for some time yet.

Just as that thought occurs to him, he catches another movement out of the corner of his eye and this time it is even closer than before. Jumping up, not paying attention to if Kai falls or not, he edges closer to the entrance of the tree to try to see if he can figure out what is outside. Taking in a sharp inhale, he carefully lowers himself to the ground in a crouch to make himself less likely to be seen. Even with the rain he can see one of those spider creatures fighting a tentacle monster. Not overly near, but his eyesight allows him to see fairly fair even in this weather and they are close enough that if they weren't preoccupied with one another then a sound too loud from himself or Kai would easily draw their attention.

• 2 months later...

Maeron's discomfort seemingly goes unnoticed by Kai while he is under his own haze. Actually, the elf lets out a half chuckle when Maeron says that he has no family. He replies half wittily, "I could say the same thing about myself." Despite calling everyone in Alflan his family, he truly did not have any. The elf watches the other male, and while he did not look like he noticed, he was well aware of how tense Maeron was. A part of him felt sorrow. His curiosity wanted to peak so desperately into the other's mind. The other part of him wanted to close the distance between them, quite rapidly at that.

The expression he received from Maeron when he asked about his sex encounters told him all that he needed to know. So Maeron was in the same boat as he was? The elf felt slightly surprised, but then again, it was almost to be expected. "While I understand my question was bold, you need not of reacted so poorly." He said with a hum. "In this land, such a question is child's play. I do understand if that is... To personal for you to answer, however... I never said you had to answer any of my questions. For, that my friend, is up to you. Whatever you feel like sharing with me I will gladly open my ears to you. I am content and grateful to listen whenever you would like to open your mind to me." Kai said thoughtfully, unconsciously trying to get closer to the other male. "Besides... How else will we become more than 'strangers' if you do not open up to me-?"

Kai didn't get to finish his thought as Maeron suddenly rises from the ground. He lands on his side unexpectedly with a thud, "Ooof-" The elf moves his hair out of his face before making a slight pouting face. "How about some kind of warning next time? Please?" He lets out a huff of slight frustration. There was this ever-growing feeling still thriving within him. The desire to be closer to Maeron was still there, stronger somehow. It... almost felt like a crime to have separated from the other male. For a moment, Kai was horrified by his thoughts, as they were never like this before. He feared that the land was somehow getting to him, tormenting him within. Weakening his mind slowly, so that he would give into his lusts... his deepest, darkest sexual desires.

Instead of sitting there, the elf figured he would get up. To his misfortune, he found that he could not. His leg was caught on something now... And when Kai realized it, there was an audible gasp that passed his lips. "M-Maeron-" He warned the other as his hands wrapped themselves around the vine that had coiled around his leg. It was absolutely horrible! How could he have not seen this until now? How did he not feel it? His mind could not focus while this thing was around his leg. A pointed tendril had lodged itself to his upper thigh, the vine was wound three times around his leg... Kai could only conclude that the evil vine must have struck when he fell earlier... He recalled a pain in his leg... No... He should have checked! It was too late now, Kai was fairly sure that the tendril was the cause for his rising lust...

However, just as Kai started to tug the vine off, he was suddenly dragged an inch or two towards the entrance. This time, a small quivering yelp escaped him. This time he frantically tried to pull off the vine- which only made the matters worse. As another vine seemingly came out of nowhere and tied itself around his hand, quickly twisting its way around Kai's other hand in a matter of seconds. Suddenly Kai was lifted momentarily and then tugged one foot towards the entrance of the tree. "H-Help-" He called out to his companion as he attempted to stop himself using his free leg.

Maeron waves a hand indicating the other should stay quiet when he hears his name, his attention focused on the two fighting creatures and so doesn't notice the gasp or warning held in Kai's voice. The two creatures continue to fight but soon the spider-like creature gains the upper hand and it seems as though the fight is done for. He is still unsure of their safety despite that and so looks around once more for any sign of Shira. Unless the snake had made a kill it wasn't like the creature to stay away for so long.

Hearing the yelp and Kai's raised voice, Maeron turns around ready to scold the other about being quiet when he sees the situation. Cursing to himself under his breath, he unsheathes a sword to cut through the vine around the elf's leg to at least stop the other from being pulled out of their, no longer safe, hiding spot before the two creatures outside finish their battle to see who gets to rape whom. The vine, proving to be surprisingly tenacious, takes Maeron a few swings to cut through it. He frowns as he pants softly feeling oddly warm while looking around to make sure no vines are ready to seek retaliation.

What is going on? I should not be this tired or needing this much effort to deal with simple vines. Seeing some vines trying to get him now, he unsheathes his other sword and begins cutting any vine he sees so much as twitch. Granted that means that Kai is left unattended for several minutes, but Maeron isn't willing to cut the other free at the risk of being caught himself as that wouldn't do either of them any good. The vines either seem to become more numerous or never-ending when there always seems to be yet another one waiting for him.

"Fuck this..." He growls finally and pulling out a few large marble-sized balls and flings them at the walls of the tree. "Be ready to run." Maeron calls out to Kai as he turns to the elf preparing to run. As he sheathes one blade the balls hit the dry inside of the tree with a snap and the chemicals inside create a small fire explosion that catches on the dry wood. Putting his weight behind the strike Maeron cuts Kai's arms free then grabs an arm. Snatching his pack as he drags the other out, he runs full speed while hoping they can avoid the two monsters if they weren't already preoccupied.

Not daring to look or stop, he just drags the other further into the swamp and away from the tree with its nasty vines. Eventually he collapses near a felled tree that is barely large enough to offer some coverage from the rain beneath the fallen branches. Breathing harshly Maeron lets go of the elf and falls against the dry trunk. Trying to catch his breath he looks around wondering where they're at but even more than that, is worried as he's feeling feverish and can feel the sweat growing on his skin.

Shakily he reaches up and removes the mask covering most of his face so he can breath easier and hopefully a cool breeze. Distantly he feels worried as he has never experienced an illness that has come on so suddenly before. Not since he was child and had the flu or whatever it was. Some of the sweat is drying causing him to feel itchy while in other areas it is building enough to cause damps spots on his clothing, or would if they weren't already wet from the rain. Despite all that he cannot bring himself to undress and be vulnerable when they just escaped one disaster.

Unbeknownst to Maeron, his face has a noticeable flush on it and his body is actually giving off a faint musky scent. If one of his kind saw him it would be thought that he might be entering a Rut. Well, if not for the fact that it isn't the right time of the year that is.

• 3 weeks later...

While Maeron was too busy hacking away at the vines that had invaded their hiding place, Kai noticed how each vine oozed, and with every cut, the vines juices nearly splattered everywhere. Somewhere deep inside of him he knew that this was a bad thing. However, in the heat of the moment, he was too fixated on getting out alive and unscathed. The elf barely had a second to grab his own bag when Maeron had cut him loose. Before he knew it, the tree seemed to burst into fire, meanwhile Maeron had dragged him outside. Running, for their lives it seemed, everything seemed to blur for Kai.

After nearly tripping several times, Maeron apparently found a place to settle. Both of them seemed breathless. Kai was practically gasping for a moment. Maeron was much faster and had a wider leg span than he did and so running- no being dragged along tuckered him out a bit. But that wasn't where his mind was at. He wasn't even thinking about how breathless he was. No, Kai was thinking about what he felt when Maeron grabbed him. With Kai's powers, he could sense a lot of things from the people who touched him as well as he touched them. It was an ability he had to tell what his patient needed- or wanted. The elf could not deny what he was feeling right now. He feared that the vines had something to do with his sudden arousal. And after Maeron had grabbed him, he was fairly certain Maeron had to be affected by this too.

There were several things wrong with this situation. The elf was not sure in the slightest how he should go about this whole ordeal. For Kai, it did not feel like Maeron trusted him. It was true, they did not know each other that well. The other hurdle that worried Kai was his prophecy. Kai... might have reread and reread for any loopholes, for, he had his ring that could only be taken off by a 'pure' mate. Kai had studied the scripture, thinking very deeply about possible meanings. From what he concluded there could be only a couple possibilities. One, being the more torturous one, that he could not mate with anyone who was not destined for him. Which would mean he could never receive relief- and in this land, that might drive him insane. Or, the other possibility would be that so long as he mated with someone 'pure'- perhaps someone he deemed it so, or maybe... If they were a virgin, perchance that would work too. There was one other loop hole, his ring could come off if he willed it... but he would not only have to hold it- but it sapped much of his power to take it off. Overall, in general, he had to be consenting if it were to work.

It was wrong for him to think this way, but not even the cold rain could calm him nor ward off his horniness. If there was one thing he was certain; Kai could not fight with an erection... But he could certainly hide the fact from Maeron, for now... And hopefully it won't be that way for long. So Kai sat there for a moment, thinking and trying to collect his thoughts while he tried to catch his breath. He found that he had a hard time calming down. Kai found himself inhaling slowly, deeply- feeling tingly... The elf turned his head, peaking over at the other male. He saw that the other male had lifted his mask, probably because of the predicament they were in currently. Blue eyes curiously starred at the other figure. Kai was... unsure of how he should approach the other male...

So he tried going with what he was 'good' at. "Are... Are you okay Maeron?" Kai moved slightly closer, slightly tilting his head to see into the mask that usually hid Maeron's face from him. To his surprise he swore he could see that Maeron's face was red. Little did the elf know, his cheeks were also flushed, both from the run and from his ever growing lust. "You're not hurt are you? If so, I can help." He lightly pressed his hand on Maeron's leg, once again feeling a shift. Kai stopped breathing for a second and once he continued, he realized that... there was... a certain smell coming from Maeron. Perhaps that was another reason he was feeling all tingly everywhere...

"I uh... I can sense what is wrong with you, through touch." Kai paused a moment, trying to decide how to 'suggest' the idea to the other male. Kai was not good at beating around the bush. He usually knew exactly what he wanted and was usually open about what he wanted. He did not mind telling the other. The question was, would Maeron be interested? Well, there was no use just sitting here. How to word it... Kai tucked a lock of his wet hair behind his elfish ear. "There are two things I can do for you, if you would like? I can relieve you through my healing, which would rid you of your lust but I would gain the burden. Or..." He said while scooting a little closer. "We could sate each other... I am not afraid to help, so long as you help me out." He said suggestively, "And in case you are still unaware of my suggestion, I am referring to relief of lust. Sex, in other words... So what say you, friend?" Kai said as bluntly as ever.

• 1 month later...

Maeron blankly glances over at Kai as the other male speaks. No recognition or understanding of what is being said to him crosses his face, though enough cognizance is had to where he frowns knowing that he should know what is being said. Distantly a part of Maeron wonders what is wrong with him while also growing increasingly alarmed, but that part is muted and unable to break through the heated fog covering him.

It is not until the other touches his leg that his gaze locks onto the fellow traveler with an intensity that betrays his inner turmoil. The words still flow by him as meaningless and previously, but he can see the heat in the other's eyes and hear the heat and suggestion in the elf's tone as well as body language. His tongue darts out along his lip and simultaneously breathes in causing him to taste the other's lust which of course only causes his own heat to grow more intense.

Despite his body's desperation and urging to take what the other is clearly offering, part of him manages to hold back. Eyes narrowing slightly, he lets out a low hiss of frustration as he tries to understand what is going on. The drive to relieve himself with the willing body next to him is fighting against some part of him that is balking at the other touching him or vice versa.

As the other scoots closer, his gaze returns to the appealing male next to him. His mouth opens as if going to reply, but all that comes out is a low breath that sounds more like a hiss. "Sssaaaa...." He turns towards the elf slightly, his torso facing Kai causing his own form to be curved and stretched out in a way that draws the eye; but even as his body appears to invite the elf closer, his muscles and hands tense and flex. His tongue makes another appearance, and causes him to lean slightly closer as if trying to get a better scent while keeping his gaze upon Kai's face, at this point it clear that unusual male's internal conflict has manifested on the outside and so the other will need to either initiate physical contact, or carefully back away.

• Saga locked this topic