A Knight's Precious Prince [KamekazePrince and Koe-chan]

BlaqueCatt

Koe-chan's Character

Name: Kari

Appearance:

2i7p7ki.png

Kari stands at 5'3" in height and weighs 120 pounds. He has a small, lithe build and pale, creamy skin. His hair is raven-black in color as well as feather-soft, and his eyes are a dark stormy gray. His style of dress consists of more form-fitting outfits--pants that cling to his legs, knee-high laced boots, and long-sleeved shirts--that can be found in only one color: black. Occasionally he will wear a cape and cowl while riding, and his more 'regal' clothes often have silver trim.

The vast amount of difference between Kari's appearance and that of the people partly fuels the rumor that the youngest prince was not born of the queen. The people are generally blonde with blue eyes, and their hair is stringy and tough. They are extremely tall (usually 6'0" for the men and 5'6" for the women) with sturdy bodies and large muscles. They wear loose cotton garments in colors such as brown, green, and blue as well.

Personality:Kari is quite serious and sees jokes as nothing but nonsense. He is known for his silver tongue and sarcasm, though he rarely speaks. When he does use his voice, it is a quiet monotone. His expression is often blank, and he cares more about science than the gods and myths his people worship (though he would never admit this, as his kingdom is very religious) and could be considered agnostic. He is very intelligent, and while his brothers immediately want to go to war, he takes a more diplomatic approach (though he does plan war strategies when the time comes). He dislikes fighting, as he finds violence to be unnecessary most of the time, but he is skilled with a dagger and a bow (this also separates him from his people, as it is common for large great-swords and battleaxes to be the weapons of choice). The dagger that he uses was a gift from Bjarne, and the bow a gift from Freydar (his siblings are rather obsessed with him, as they see him as a little deer needing to be protected in a world of bears, and they always try to impress him and outdo the others, although Kari would appreciate a book more than clothes or weapons). His brothers' attitude towards him irritates him, as he is prideful and believes he can take care of himself with intelligence alone. Despite his cold front, however, he is very sensitive and has a love for music. There was also a time when he was young that he went through serious bouts of depression and anxiety, but he learned to hide his emotions to avoid his family worrying about him. His reclusive, introverted nature has him avoiding touch at all costs.

Other: He has three older brothers, Bjarne (35), Freydar (32), and Gaulik (28). Bjarne is next in line for the throne after their father Aleksej. His home is the kingdom of Malvina, a kingdom of "harsh", burly people who live beneath snowy mountains, where is is almost always winter. Because of how different Kari is from the rest of the population, there is rumor that his mother was not queen Naaja and was instead a servant woman from another country. Before Kari was given a knight to protect and accompany him, the people would jeer at him and occasionally throw things when his overprotective brothers weren't around. Kari never said anything, though, because he would rather have the people upset with him than with the king; he was willing to be the scapegoat for the country's problems if it meant stability.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BlaqueCatt

• KamekazePrince

n343eu.jpg

Eirik Vegard a.k.a. Silver Knight:

Height: 6'2''

Weight: 205 lbs

Hair Color: Waist-length light blonde hair, earning the nickname Silver Knight

Eye Color: Purplish Blue

Trivia: He plays the violin.

Appearance: Tall and well-built with broad shoulders. Heavy lidded eyes.

Background:

He grew up in the streets, coming from an impoverished household. He struggled throughout childhood to support himself. He persevered, gathering strength and eventually enlisted in the King's army. He slowly rose in status and rank, ultimately becoming a Knight to Prince Kari.

Personality:

At first acquaintance, he comes off as a kind and genteel person. He is known and loved by all as the 'Silver Knight' due to his silvery white, sage-like appearance. He often wears an expression of calmness and quiet resignation, as though he had learned to live with the harsh realities of life. He has a tremendous capacity for empathy and endurance.

Due to his childhood, he is at times mistrustful of others, reading neutral actions as malicious. He goes by his gut instinct in judging people, sometimes harshly and erroneously.

Relationship with Kari:

He has an infatuation for Prince Kari, bordering on over-protectiveness and obsession. He grows immensely fond of him due to the similarities in their histories. He is mildly delusional, believing that Kari and he are psychically connected, that they were meant to be.

He believes that Kari harbors a great sadness within his heart, that no one but himself can see.

As much as he adores the prince and his strange intellectual preoccupation, he knows that ultimately, might makes right. That is why he decides to be with Kari and protect him.

Let's begin with a monologue from Eirik, shall we~ =]

He was curled up in his chair, legs crossed and book in hand. He ran his fingers carelessly through his hair. He was studying the book closely. His eyebrows furrowed, as though he was scrutinizing the text. I watched him intently.

He often spent hours in the library, pondering over books as I stood guard. I never really understood his fascination for books, but I liked to watch him read. It was a nice feeling, seeing him engrossed in something when he otherwise seemed so cold and aloof. He now looked angel-like, unguarded. Something about his vulnerability drew me towards him. I wanted to protect him. Usually it was happy feeling, that filled me with serenity. But today, I only felt a slight tension, as I gazed at him. My heart raced nervously.

I had become increasingly disturbed in the past few days. I was not my usual composed self. I had begun to have frightening visions. Visions of losing him. Of him being hurt, overpowered and violated. I had seen too much, known too much and I knew these things could happen. I pressed a hand against my sweaty forehead and panicked slightly, nevertheless wearing an expression of tranquility. I gazed at him. I'm being irrational, right? I tried taking a deep breath and gathered my thoughts. I won't let that happen… It'll be alright…

He continued mindlessly stroking his hair. I waited anxiously for him to finish and to rescue me from my heavy thoughts.

Kari let out a quiet, appreciative noise as he turned the page of the book that currently held his attention, bringing the text closer to his face in order to see the words more clearly. He was reclining in a wooden chair that was covered with various animal pelts, all of which were thick and soft. His right leg was crossed over his left at the knee, and his left hand absentmindedly twirled a strand of straight, raven-black hair while the other held the book. While his body was relaxed, his expression was tense, so much so that one could almost see the gears turning in his head as he processed the information. His gray eyes were narrowed, his jaw was set, and his lips were pressed together into a thin line of concentration. The pages turned every minute or so, as the youngest prince was a very fast reader, and occasionally he would put the book down and turn to the table at his side, where a blank book and pointed piece of wood with ink were located. It was here that he recorded his own ideas about the text and drew various diagrams that would most likely prove too difficult for his family to understand.

It was not that his family was stupid. He was sure that they would be able to see the purpose of science if they wanted to. The only problem was that they didn't care. They, like the rest of the people of the country, saw little worth in knowledge that had nothing to do with farming or fighting. They were simple-minded, but only because they refused to open their eyes. This was why the small brunette was alone in the library with only his personal guard. In fact, the library had been created for him, filled with books imported from other countries. The only sounds that penetrated the comfortable silence were the voices and footsteps of servants moving about in other parts of the castle. Not one person besides Kari had ever entered the library unless they had been sent to find the youngest prince. When they weren't blacksmithing or herding cattle, they were brawling in taverns or discussing the gods outside.

If only father had allowed me to make the journey to Alestra with the Ambassador, Kari thought as he scrawled across the page with the sharpened stick, making a face as the memory resurfaced. I could have gotten so many more books, and I wouldn't be stuck writing with a piece of wood. I would have a nice quill and professional ink. Unlike the grand stone cities of more advanced kingdoms, all of the buildings in Malvina were made of wood. The houses were small, the roads were dirt, most of the land was made up of farms, and the castle itself was more of a giant lodge than a place for royalty, as it was extremely short and wide. The structure was necessary to survive the harsh winters, but the kingdom's lack of aesthetics didn't do much for its popularity.

Kari finished writing down his most recent thoughts before turning back to the book, changing his position so he was sitting cross-legged as if he were on the ground. His left had had removed itself from his hair and trailed across the pages, aiding the prince in keeping track of which part he was on. He sat in silence for several more minutes before realizing that someone was staring at him. Inwardly he sighed; he recognized that intense gaze. Once again Eirik felt it was necessary to track his every movement to make sure he was safe. The knight followed him everywhere and obeyed all of his orders, as was the other man's job. Kari thought it was unnecessary that the man act so protective, though. The youngest prince had survived just fine on his own, and he wasn't about to soften up just because he had a caretaker. An unwanted caretaker at that.

The king had given Kari his own knight after the prince had arrived at dinner with a bruise on his left cheek. The excuse had been that he had fallen off of his horse, a black mare named Odilia, and no one had questioned him; he was, of course, small enough to be injured by such a thing (just thinking about the day made Kari unintentionally scowl). In reality, he had been struck by a stone that a little girl had thrown at him while he was returning to the castle. Eirik had been brought to him the next day, and though Kari had treated him coldly at first, the man had not left his side. Kari respected his sense of loyalty and eventually came to tolerate his presence; they could almost be seen as friend now, though the prince would never admit to such a thing. He was grateful that Eirik kept the people from attacking him without causing problems, but he would never let the knight tell the king what was happening.

Kari was drawn out of his thoughts when his gaze landed on a certain word in the book. He froze, and his eyes widened before he shut the book and stood. He placed the book on the table, gathered his notes in his arms, and briskly walked over to Eirik. With his usual blank expression, but with an excited gleam in his eyes, he handed the materials to his personal pack-mule before taking his cloak from the back of the chair and tying it around his neck. "Come, Eirik, we're going to the garden," he ordered, not waiting for a response before making his way towards the exit. The garden was not for public use, and it didn't grow food. Instead it housed the flowers that Kari used for his experiments. Now that he had a new idea, he had to make some changes to his set-up.

Eirik's affection for Kari was no secret affair. Everyone discussed it. Just what was it about that peculiar boy that Eirik liked so much? After all, Eirik was their beloved knight. He was kind, noble, lovable and arguably the most eligible bachelor in Malvina. If only Eirik so much as batted an eyelid at a woman, let alone shower her attention like he did to Kari, she would fall into his arms and pamper him like a king. The womenfolk even wrote him letters and poems, proclaiming their eternal love for him. But he had eyes only for the boy. It was vexing to watch their darling knight tirelessly wait on Prince Kari hand and foot, while that arrogant boy treated him like a personal slave. He was too patient, too enduring.

But they spoke nothing of this to Eirik.

They wouldn't dare.

Not after one inebriated fellow brought this up in Eirik's presence. The whole crowd fell silent and turned to face Eirik, who rose up slowly. He spoke, "I will not repeat myself." He was calm but firm, "You may speak anything about me or my family. I don't care. But speak lowly of my country, my king or my prince, and that will be the last thing you say."

Ever since then, they had learnt not to open their mouths about Prince Kari in front of Eirik. It was so unlike their knight to have reacted with such harsh words, that they knew they had reached their limits. Instead, they simply burnt with envy and did the best they could. Spread slander about the boy.

Lowlifes, thought Eirik. None of them could match the sheer splendor of his prince. In his head, Kari was everything perfect. Brilliant, sensitive, enduring and persevering. He was a visionary, a dreamer, and a silent sufferer. But those people would never know. It was after all, only Eirik, who had seen the prince's heart.

Not that he understood him entirely. There were a lot of perplexing things about Kari that Eirik simply couldn't wrap his head around. Like his strange obsession with what he called science. Or his habit of drawing symbols with pieces of wood. But that was what made him all the more beautiful. The strange things he did. The petty little problems in his pretty little head. Naive, but lovable. Idealistic, but admirable. That's why Eirik had to protect him at all costs. Someone so precious, so vulnerable. So irreplaceable. The very idea of losing him…

The grim thoughts were interrupted by the prince, "Come Eirik, we're going to the garden." Eirik was relieved. The fresh air was most welcome and the flowers would surely bring some cheer to his sour morning. He bowed down and followed Kari quickly, carrying his notes and tools. He had a gentle smile on his face, in anticipation of the prince's new antics.

The Kingdom of Malvina was not only undeveloped in terms of industrialization. It also lacked progress in the changing mentalities of the world. While southern kingdoms such as Alestra and Lumous had opened their gates to immigrants of all races, Malvina turned away those who were not of northern decent. Kari lived in a racist, homophobic society that was full of closed-minded people who could only see three feet in front of them. Despite his desire to change this, however, it was not an ability that had been bestowed upon him. He was the youngest prince, the son who was almost guaranteed to be powerless for the rest of his life. Though he was given the royal treatment, the crown and the authority that came with it would end up belonging to one of his three older brothers, all of whom were as bigoted as the rest of the country.

Kari often wondered why he viewed the world so differently from those around him. He was the son of the king and had been raised being taught such things. So why had he always thought the opposite? The people blamed his strangeness on the rumor that his mother was not Queen Naaja. He looked nothing like her, and the only things about him that resembled the king was his dark gray eyes and pale skin. People said that his mother was a slave woman from another country that had passed through with a caravan on their way across the border. When he was young, his parents and brothers had denied such things and reassured them that he was completely related to them. They still denied it, but now he wasn't so sure. The experiments he was performing on flowers was helping him to understand how traits, such as coloring, were inherited. If a flower could be white instead of purple when there was a different parent, then couldn't the same apply to humans?

The youngest prince shook his head and sighed. Such musings were making him depressed again. It was becoming increasingly difficult for him to keep a hold of his blank mask as dark emotions raged within his mind. So far the only person he had been near when it momentarily slipped away had been none other than Eirik. That had been one of the most embarrassing moments of Kari's life. To be caught with tears in his eyes--Kari, the stone cold prince actually had feelings! Ridiculous, according to the general public. It must never happen again, he told himself, bitterness flickering in his eyes as he made his way down the wooden hallway that lead to the garden. He had almost lost himself earlier this morning, too. In a moment of recklessness he had escaped from his room without Eirik, needing time to himself (the poor knight had almost died of a heart attack, but Kari refused to let himself feel guilty). Of course, that had been when the children and their parents had decided to start cursing at him with their mindless slurs. It had been bad enough before, but ever since jealousy over Eirik appeared, it had gotten worse (he would never tell the knight; it would crush him. Not that Kari cared about the knight). Eirik had found him an hour later, sitting in the forest with his horse, his arms bruised and his cloak covered in dirt. He had not responded when questioned, and his eyes had been even more guarded than usual.

The pair stopped when they reached the far end of the lodge-castle. A small room had been attached to the end solely for the purpose of Kari's experiments, similarly to the library (Kari still didn't understand why his family cared so much for him, what with how odd he was. They kept saying he would come around once he was older). The room was filled with flower pots that were arranged by color, size, shape, and many other categories. Each had a sign attached to the pot, and the back of the room was filled with books that Kari had filled himself; they contained all of his notes and ideas. It was also the only room with glass windows. Most buildings had open windows that were boarded with wood when the weather was bad. The plants needed sunlight all the time, and it was too cold for them outside, so they needed to be kept indoors while still exposed to sunlight.

Kari smiled slightly when he entered, but it faded soon after. He carefully took the book, pencil, and ink from Eirik, murmuring a quiet, "thank you" before kneeling next to one of the pots. He gently wrapped the blanket around its base a bit tighter, then opened the book by his side. He flipped to the correct page and quickly scrawled out a chart of some kind. Then, he waved Eirik over to him. "Bring me the pot with the small purple flowers. It's labeled PPss." Eirik was the only one strong enough to lift the pots.

Eirik often interpreted Kari's coldness as his way of hiding affection. He guessed that the more coldly Kari treated him, the more secretly he liked him. He wasn't afraid of this iron wall of defense. At least until this morning, when he found Kari terribly bruised and covered in dirt. Despite begging over and over again to explain what happened, Kari simply ignored him. Eirik felt the familiar dread all over again.

True, the prince had always been like this. He was an 'ice queen'. He never told anyone of his suffering. And Eirik always feared the worst. What if someone is hurting him? Threatening him? Kari's silence made him all the more paranoid. Eirik always thought no one could touch Kari while he was around. Now he wasn't so sure. At the sight of his dear prince so hurt…he only felt a stabbing pain in his heart. Who did this to you?

He followed him even more closely today. He trailed behind him towards the garden, carrying the notes and writing equipment. He gave him no elbow room. He was afraid. He wanted to follow him everywhere he went; the bedroom, the bathroom… How can I protect you if you run away from me?

He had slowly become fatigued by Kari's guardedness. He has such a loving family, such a loving knight. His family loved him so much that they gave him everything he wanted. To Eirik, Kari was his sole purpose for existence. Was 'unconditional love' that hard to understand? Was it alright of the prince to treat them all with such coldness? That he should spurn Eirik so much, desert him and reject him thus, Eirik felt defeated. But he showed none of his distress to the prince. He didn't want him to worry about him. After all, he already had problems of his own. If only you would let me in…

His thoughts kept flickering back and forth between this and the task at hand. He searched through the array of huge pots, picking up the one Kari asked. He clasped the giant metal handle and heaved it across the room. He placed it next to Kari. He bowed slightly, retreated a step backward and stood patiently.

Kari no longer had room within his mind for philosophical musings, as he was now thoroughly distracted by the task at hand. His teeth worried his lower lip as he reviewed his notes, patiently waiting for Eirik to return with the flowers he had requested. The wooden pencil in his hand made a harsh clacking sound as it was tapped against the floor, a habit that the prince usually expressed whenever he was deep in thought; he was either bouncing his leg, chewing his lip, or tapping against a hard surface when concentrating. It drove his siblings and parents mad, especially when he tuned them out at dinner and instead focused on the experiment he had performed earlier that day rather than their conversation. Of course, he always paid attention when the economy or country politics were involved, but more often than not his family chatted about meaningless things, such as hunting or weapon-smithing.

The prince released his lip and lifted his head when he heard Eirik approach. He put down his pencil and held the book up to the flowers, as if comparing something. Then, all of a sudden, the brunette reached up with his free hand and grabbed Eirik by the left wrist. "Sit with me," he commanded, gently tugging the taller man's arm. "I will require your assistance, and I believe that you will find this to be quite interesting." Eirik was the only one who tolerated Kari's scientific ramblings, and even if the knight truly despised the experiments, Kari was still determined to make someone listen to him and to understand the significance of what he was doing. "Watch and listen carefully." At this point, the wall between Kari's mind and his eyes vanished. His excitement, his curiosity--both emotions and more were clearly expressed through the normally empty gray depths.

"I originally started with a tall purple plant, labeled PPSS," he explained, holding out the book so the knight could see. They were kneeling very close to each other, with Kari almost leaning against the others' shoulder. Kari hated being touched, but would sometimes allow it if he himself initiated contact. "Then I cross-pollinated it--that means I bred it--with a short white plant, labeled ppss. I assumed that some flowers would be small and white, and others would be tall and purple. But all of them were tall and purple." A smile had appeared, and his monotone voice was filled with vigor. "Then I bred the second generation with another ppss. The result was PpSs--still tall and purple. But when I did it again, there were some small and white and some tall and purple. Isn't that amazing?"

Eirik straightened up instantly. The prince's eyes were now gleaming. He was like an automaton that had been given a fresh breath of life, his coiled springs now whirling into action. The iron wall between them had disappeared and instead, he saw Kari's heartfelt happiness. His heart leapt. He was seeing Kari get excited. Unsuppressed and unashamedly. It was the only link Eirik had to Kari, the only way to reach out to him.

The prince had now pulled him closer by his wrists. Eirik was caught by surprise. He could almost feel Kari's head against his shoulder. He gulped nervously. There were only few moments when Kari showed his heart and this was one of those. Eirik could sense it. He leaned forward and payed close attention. He hung onto every word, savoring it, as though it was coming from the depths of Kari's bare soul. His body was still and his expression grim. He listened, nodding steadily every now and then, till the prince finished.

At first, he chuckled inside. So this was what had you so roused up? On seeing Kari's eager face however, Eirik responded with utmost seriousness. "I understand, Prince Kari…" The boy was now smiling at him. He paused. He almost felt a sense of obligation to respond just as enthusiastically. But after struggling for a few seconds, only honest words came out. "Pardon me Prince Kari, but I fail to grasp the significance of this."

The light in Kari's eyes flickered before dimming. He sighed through his nose, then pulled away from the knight, shifting his position so that there was some space between them on the floor. I should have known that he wouldn't understand. None of them do. And yet, he had been so desperate. He wanted more than anything to have someone who would understand him. His status, his wealth, his limited power--he would give it all away if it meant that he could find a place where he really belonged. The atmosphere seemed to physically change as Kari's mood darkened, the air taking on a colder temperature. "It means..." He trailed off, gazing somewhat blankly at the flowers in front of him. What good was it to explain if his interest wasn't shared?

"What it means is that there is something inside of the flower that determines what it becomes." When he responded, the excitement in his voice had faded, and he sounded the same way he did when he was forced to sit through a discussion on weapon efficiency: bored and toneless. "Scientists in Astrea came up with the idea, but I wanted to do my own experiments to see it for myself." His hands were folded in his lap, and his thumb absently stroked over a leaf that had fallen onto his thigh. "I would love to go there..." Suddenly, the tired indifference was gone, and his expression was heavy with sadness. It felt as if a stone had settled in his stomach, and he wanted nothing more than to be alone.

"...but I cannot." This part was whispered brokenly. The prince sat there in silence for a few more moments before his stormy gray eyes hardened. He grabbed his notebook, pencil, and ink before standing up abruptly. He could not show weakness, especially not to his own knight. If only he knew how much the older man wanted to help him. "We should head back to the main hall," he said, his voice having returned to its cold monotone. "Father will be most displeased if I'm late for the scheduled training." Kari hated fighting, but it was one of those requirements even he couldn't get out of. And now I must spend time with my idiot brothers, watching them spar and act like madmen. How amusing, he thought bitterly, briskly exiting the room, not even looking back at Eirik, who was still on the floor.

The barrier was cast between them again. Kari's eyes were desolate.

What have I said wrong? Eirik crossed his fingers anxiously and stared at the prince's feet with downcast eyes. I tried… didn't I? You wanted me to be interested. That's why I asked you how to be… Perhaps he had betrayed too much of his indifference to science. Perhaps he should have hid his confusion and faked interest. He watched helplessly as Kari spoke. "… there is something inside of the flower that determines what it becomes..."

Eirik was struck by those powerful words. He struggled to wrap his head around them, trying to fit some personal meaning to it. Was it something inside the prince that he needed to let out? Has he come to believe in fate? However, the more he heard Kari speak, the more incongruous his thoughts seemed. Maybe it was just intellectual curiosity… Maybe there were no personal feelings… But then why was he so happy about it? That he even wanted to share it with the knight he so despised? How can one have emotions for something that is based only on logic and reasoning? Rationality and sentimentality, they were both conflicting parts of Kari's character. Trying to reconcile it, Eirik had once again begun sinking into his own line of thought when he realized that Kari had left abruptly.

"Prince Kari!" he yelled as he sprinted across the corridor towards the prince. He stopped a few feet before him and sank to his knees, his fists clenching his lap. He bowed his head deeply. With eyes shut firmly and his head still down, he said, "Prince Kari… Please, help me understand." He was quivering gently and slightly panting. "I'd like to know more…" he continued, barely allowing for a response, now raising his head to look up at Kari. His eyes were earnest. "Please, let us try again."

The prince continued to walk even after his name had been called, his stormy gray eyes focused straight ahead. He was not in the mood to deal with such things. He was not--Kari halted abruptly when he heard the sound of someone behind him falling to their knees. His expression, which had been quite similar to that of a statue, morphed into one of genuine surprise. With a flourish of his cloak, he turned on his heel, finding himself staring down at the pitiful face of his knight. For several moments he could only stare at the older man blankly, seemingly frozen in place. What was wrong with the man? Kari knew that Eirik was sensitive when it came to their relationship--and the reason for that he still did not know--but he had never acted in such a way before. "What--?" Once again his train of thought was cut off abruptly as the knight kneeling before him spoke.

"Please, help me understand." The prince's heart stopped, and he inhaled sharply. No one had ever said such a thing to him before, and the man sounded so genuine. He felt the emotions that he kept hidden squirm violently in his gut, and he swallowed, his throat suddenly dry. He wants to understand? Kari averted the contact for a moment, struggling to compose himself. Then, he quietly cleared his throat and approached the knight.

"You may stand, Eirik," he murmured, and there was a softness in his eyes that had never been there before; the cold, hardened steel now resembled molten silver. "I...I am not upset with you." Kari was not the type to apologize, but for some reason he felt it was necessary. "I know that you were not raised to take part in scientific endeavors. I...I just wanted someone to listen. To listen and to see what I see." His eyes were shimmering, and he looked away again to hide his oncoming tears. "I should not have put you on the spot like that. It was wrong of me to want you to be someone you're not." He blinked harshly. "But thank you for trying. I appreciate it." He glanced at the knight, and a ghost of a smile--a smile that was tired and ever so lonely--appeared on his pale face before he continued on down the hall.

Eirik caught sight of the slightest trace of dampness in those turbulent grey eyes. His own breathing was intermittent. "I…I just wanted someone to listen," Kari faltered. Eirik felt miserable. He felt a pang of guilt for having put the boy in such an uncomfortable position. That the faultless prince should speak in such an apologetic tone! He felt his chest tighten as he struggled to meet the prince's gaze.

"But thank you for trying. I really appreciate it."

Eirik stared at him in astonishment. Those eyes were earnest. He felt a growing lump in his throat. At that moment, he wanted nothing more than to hold the boy and hug him tightly. Perhaps the might of his embrace could reach the boy better than their stumbling words. That he could somehow show Kari that their differences didn't matter.

He resolved himself. I will give you only happiness, he promised. Quivering slightly, he bowed down. His fists were clenched tightly on his lap. He bit his lip, struggling to form words, "I will change myself if you wanted, Prince Kari," he spoke, his voice straining to contain his anguish. But the prince had swiftly walked past, his coat swishing heavily behind him, nearly drowning the kneeling man's promise. Eirik rose slowly, dejected. His hands had sunken to his sides, staring silently at their growing distance. Did my words reach him? His thoughts were once again cast into dark and muddled waters. He involuntarily began following the prince.

Kari's heart clenched painfully in his chest when he heard the knight's final words. Don't change for me, he silently pleaded, a few stray tears slipping down his cheeks. I would never forgive myself if you became someone else for my sake. He shook his head as if to clear it of depressing thoughts and hastily wiped at his eyes with one of his long black sleeves. They were approaching the center of the castle, where the staff were bustling about, and he had to make sure that he was in control of himself before entering. To do so, he once again did the worst possible thing a human could do; he shut out his feelings, refusing to deal with them. Soon the prince and his knight were standing in the throne room.

"Father and my brothers want me to practice my fighting skills," he informed Eirik as they made their way down the entry hall towards the large wooden doors at the entrance. His gray eyes were narrowed and his expression was one of clear displeasure. "I do not see the purpose of such things, but I have no choice." Eirik was, in fact, the only person that Kari complained to openly. The people verbally--and sometimes physically--attacked him on sight, the servants feared him, and his family never listened. The prince was truly grateful to the knight, even if he didn't recognize his own emotions. "However, I refuse to wield one of those atrocious battleaxes." His pale lips curled into a disgusted sneer. At that point, they had already stepped outside and were following the road towards the guard outpost, which had a field set aside for training.

It had started snowing, and the white flakes stuck to Kari's black hair, refusing to melt. The prince involuntarily shivered and curled in on himself slightly as he walked, gripping his cloak tightly. Unlike the rest of the people, who often went out into the snow with single layers, Kari could not tolerate the cold at all and often became sick from it. His face and hands had lost even more color, making them appear paper-white, and his cheeks were already bright red despite having been outside only for a few moments. His eyes were half-closed against the wind, and he was shaking like a leaf while the people passing by seemed fine with no sleeves at all. This was another reason why people believed that Kari was not the Queen's son. There were a people to the South who lived in a warm climate and who were known to be raided by pirates for the slave trade. Many assumed that Kari's real mother had been captured and purchased by the King for a night, and had become pregnant. For some reason, the King had taken the child.

Kari's teeth were chattering by the time they reached the snowy field. One of his brothers, the second oldest, hurried over to him with a huge smile on his face. "We have your bow ready for you, Kari," he said excitedly. Kari rolled his eyes before walking away. Once his back was turned, the brother shot Eirik a nasty look. The older princes were very protective of Kari, as he was weak in their eyes, and they disliked his relationship with Eirik. "If I see you lay a hand on him, I'll kill you," he snarled, saying the same words that came every time he saw Eirik. Then, with a huff, he hurried after his little brother.

Eirik continued walking stiffly down the hall. A heavy silence was beginning to settle upon them like a thick blanket. Eirik shuffled uneasily till the prince spoke, catching him off guard. He quickly regained composure. "Yes, Prince Kari. It would be unusual of you to carry such barbaric weapons," he remarked, his hand settled by his waist, stroking the sheath of his sword. The incongruity of his words and his gesture didn't seem to bother him. Shedding blood was his burden to bear after all, not Prince Kari's.

They walked outside. A small blizzard had set itself upon them. Eirik glided past calmly. He had survived far worse. His skin sparkled against the blasts of icy frost. His long hair fluttered wildly and his blue eyes were brightened by the white snow. Indeed he looked like a graceful angel in silver, in sharp contrast to the prince who was shaking like a leaf. They stopped at the field. Eirik gazed worriedly at the pale boy.

The strain of the cold was often too much for the young prince to bear. He suffered bouts of hypothermia and spent sleepless nights trembling. He refused to allow anyone to help him though. How strange of him! He was an ice queen, yet he couldn't stand the cold. If only he would warm up to me…

Eirik was lost in thought and must have been staring very intently at Kari, for Kari's brother hurled a curse at him. He wore his best smile. "I will protect him with all my heart, Prince Freydar," he responded humbly. He knew that the man's hostility towards him only grew out of genuine affection for Kari. He was more than happy to bear their hatred if it meant that they would shower their love to Kari. And the princes were more than happy to declare their hatred for him. A small price to pay for a good cause.

Looks like I should take my leave now. The few moments Eirik had to himself were when the prince was with his brothers, though he strongly suspected that they intentionally kept him out. But now was not the time to ponder about that.

His Majesty is here.

The king had come to inspect the training. He was seated at the stadium that overlooked the grounds. He was examining a sword closely, while two men stood guard beside him. Eirik had requested an audience with the King several times but the King was ever so busy. He saw no finer opportunity than this. He gulped and made his way slowly to the King. He bowed deeply. The King looked up at him with a surprised smile on his face. He put aside the sword and leaned forward. He gestured for the knight to rise. "Speak, Eirik. I hear you have been wanting to meet me?" The knight straightened, wearing an expression of utmost seriousness and spoke, "It is about Prince Kari."

Aleksej's lips turned downwards and his bright blue eyes instantly filled with uncertainty when his youngest son was mentioned. The king had a weathered face and a gruff exterior, but there was a side to him that he did not show the public; it was a soft, gentle part of himself that was reserved only for his wife and children. Aleksej was a strong, kind-hearted man who cared deeply for his country, but he was blinded by tradition. Though he loved Kari, he often got into arguments with the smallest prince. It didn't matter what the issue concerned - whether it was a matter of state, the economy, or philosophy in general, the two of them always managed to be at odds. Queen Naaja always attempted to be a mediator, but with the rest of the princes taking sides, dinner was rarely a peaceful ordeal - that is, unless Kari was suffering from one of his 'moods', as his family called the episodes of depression, and refused to speak a word.

"What about him concerns you?" the king asked, his furrowed brows giving away his concern despite the steadiness of his voice; he was a practiced orator, after all. "Has something happened?" Nearby, Kari was getting ready for the training session. He had shed his cloak and had donned a much tighter black outfit with a shirt that had no sleeves. His thin arms were involuntarily trembling and were tinted red, but he seemed to be incredibly focused. Even though he despised fighting, he secretly enjoyed using science to perfect his shots. The youngest prince got down on one knee in the snow and knocked an arrow, one eye closed as he aimed at the target. His brothers tried to help position him, but he shook them off and managed to hit the center during his first try.

Eirik pursed his lips and lowered his gaze. He had to be cautious. The king was a kind-hearted man, no doubt, but he had no appreciation for Kari's scientific endeavors. He would often chide him for his unorthodox interests. And the request Eirik that was about to make was nothing short of preposterous. He steadied himself.

"Your Majesty. I couldn't help but notice…" his voice was low, his gaze still fixed at the emperor's feet, "that for the past few weeks, Prince Kari seems to be quite despondent." His gaze flickered towards the King's concerned face before continuing, "I don't know if something happened. The prince never reveals his feelings to me. I don't know what could make him happy except…" He paused for moment. He raised his head to meet the King's gaze. Summoning all the courage he could, he spoke, "Your Majesty ! If I may be so bold as to suggest, would it be agreeable to arrange a tour to Astrea for Prince Kari?"

"He has told me so often of his yearning to go there," the knight gushed. "His eyes brighten up every time he mentions Astrea. If only it would make him feel better, I would gladly accompany him there." His voice was now conveyed a sense of urgency almost inappropriate, "I will be with him always and ensure his safety over my life, Your Majesty!"

He stopped himself before carrying it too far and quickly added, "Pardon me sire, if I have conducted myself in an improper manner."

Throughout the course of the knight's explanation, the king's blue eyes narrowed and his lips pursed together into a thin line of disapproval. He was worried about his son, as any father would be, but he disliked the idea of a member of his family traveling to another country for the sole purpose of the experience. If Kari had been on assignment, the king would have let him go. Either way the journey would be dangerous - there was always the possibility of someone discovering Kari's identity before he presented himself to the other royal family - but the king was more put-off by the idea that his youngest son could potentially be corrupted further. It's hard enough keeping him under control with his access to books. Imagine what nonsense he would bring back if he went to that country personally... Aleksej sighed heavily, gazing down at Eirik with an indiscernible expression in his eyes. Like his sons, he too was concerned with the knight's closeness to Kari. If Kari were willing to accept another knight, Eirik would have been dismissed years ago.

"I will discuss it with Queen Naaja," he decided after a long stretch of silence. The beautiful blonde woman always managed to give him wise advice. She was slightly more open-minded than the rest, but only because of her inability to be cruel to those she cared for. "Until a decisions has been made, do not speak of this request with Kari." The king waved his hand in dismissal. "Go supervise him. He needs help with his melee techniques."

"Your Majesty is very kind," Eirik responded with a gentle smile on his face. He bowed deeply. The king dismissed him. The knight turned at once and began walking towards Prince Kari.

I have sown the seed… Now all I have to do is wait… Eirik was pleased with himself. He glided ever so peacefully across the snow, with an almost discernible sprint in his step. He was smiling. He had never intended to elicit an enthusiastic response from the King. It was good enough that the King hadn't turned him down immediately. It was good. Eventually, with the Queen's kindness and persuasion, the tour was sure to be finalized.

Just imagine Prince Kari's happiness when he hears about this! He couldn't wait to see the boy's joyous expression, but of course, he steadied himself. Afterall, it was not yet confirmed. Moreover, the king had ordered him to be silent about this. But most importantly, Kari must not know about Eirik's involvement in this. Not one bit. If he ever came to know... Know that his Knight was behind all this... Why do I get the feeling he will not want me beside him anymore...?

Eirik slowly walked to Prince Kari. He stopped and stood a few feet away though, in careful consideration of the brothers' glowering looks. The knight stood quietly observing the Prince. Kari's expertise with the bow was incredible. Remarkable to watch. While people usually preferred heavier weapons like swords and battle-axes, Kari preferred a bow or a dagger. He was beautiful. Eirik crossed his arms and stood admiring the prince.

When Kari was practicing with the bow, he gained a sort of elegance that was otherwise unknown to him. He carried himself with dignity at all times, but when he dabbled in the art of combat, something about his appearance changed. No longer did he resemble a dark, brooding prince who cared not for the people around him. Instead, his presence became that of a different kind of warrior, one who was silent and deadly rather than brash and battle-hungry. His gray eyes took on a sharp silver glow when he was focused, and his pale skin, made even lighter with the cold, clashed with his dark hair and gave him the likeness of a shadow. No one in his country would ever notice this side of him, however. They were too focused on their heavy weapons to bother to seek the beauty that could come from the more delicate forms of combat. Only Eirik, who was already so tuned in with the prince, would ever be able to see this change.

The youngest prince barely moved when he got ready to shoot, and very little vapor came from his lips, as he steadied his breathing in order to see more clearly. His body was perfectly balanced, giving him the ability to move quickly should he need to escape. He had been trained well, and he would have made a great scout if not for his disdain for war. However, his accurate shot was interrupted by Eirik's approach. If anyone had come near, he would have ignored them. His knight had somehow managed to become something that he could not shut out, though, and because of his he missed his mark by a few centimeters. He leaned back and huffed after the arrow embedded itself in the target, shooting Eirik a dirty look before getting another arrow, ignoring the encouragement and advice of his brothers.

Eirik stood still, the bottom of his chin concealed within his robe. He stared intently at the prince’s form. The prince’s back was arched gracefully, his garment clinging to the contours of his body. His footing was firm. Kari was perfectly still, except for a glimmer in his eyes. The knight's gaze slithered up and down the boy's figure, indiscernibly. Such perfect form. A deadly beauty, Eirik thought, poised and dignified. Kari was about to let his arrow fly. Eirik crossed his arms, grasping his elbows tightly. He drew his breath in.

Did other men notice his beauty? Eirik ran his eyes through the audience frantically. Were there lascivious eyes there? His brothers were gushing enthusiastically. The generals were chatting. The king, the guards, the soldiers. His eyes wandered all over them. His throat was constricted and he felt a growing feeling of dread. He exhaled deeply.

The arrow was flung. It had missed its mark. The prince turned to Eirik and threw him a dirty look. Eirik smiled uneasily at him. He bowed quickly and steadied himself as the prince took another arrow. Eirik would have been perspiring by now if it were not for the cold. He involuntarily brushed his forehead. He steadied his breath and began scanning the spectators again.

Kari's stormy gray eyes narrowed when Eirik smiled at him, instantly picking up on the unease in his knight's gaze. The older man tried to hide it, but almost nothing escaped the prince's perceptive nature. However, it wasn't the darkening of the man's expression that alerted him to the possible unwanted situation; it was the smile. The blonde man was always stoic when around Kari, as he did not want to risk irritating the serious young man with frivolity, and it was only when the knight was trying to reassure himself did he smile at the prince; for some reason, attempting to make the prince content seemed to be Eirik's way of comforting himself. It made no sense to Kari, but he would never ask about it. No, Kari would do what he always did: he would try to ignore the knight and focus on the task at hand. And, like always, he would be unable to do so.

Eirik was just as persistent, if not more so, in thought than in real life. The youngest prince found himself struggling to take aim as his mind was filled with curiosities and questions towards his knight. He had seemed fine just a few moments ago; what on earth had made him so upset so quickly? Kari inwardly groaned, not having any desire to deal with Eirik's emotions as well as his own, but he knew there was no way he could ignore it. So, he shot the arrow, watched as it hit its mark, and then stood up. He marched over to the blonde man and glared up at him, appearing extremely intimidating despite their obvious height difference. "Tell me why you are upset," he demanded, not at all shying away from using his power over the knight. "Your anxiety is interrupting my focus." That was Kari's indirect and rather stoney way of showing his worry.

“Tell me why you are upset.” The prince’s sudden appearance startled Eirik. "Your anxiety is interrupting my focus."

The knight was taken aback. “Pardon me, Prince Kari,” he apologised hastily, “I’m extremely sorry, I really am.” He was confused. Had his face betrayed his dark thoughts? Those ugly feelings he had stowed away whenever he decided to be near Kari, the very feelings he wanted to conceal from him at all costs? He turned away his face and pressed his fingers against the bridge of his nose, a slight frown appearing on his face. How foolish of me...

He turned his eyes to meet the prince’s. There was only concern in them. Their roles, he realised, had been reversed. How could I have been so reckless! So reckless as to have invited the prince into his dirty affairs. The full consequence of his carelessness struck him. He dropped his head and released his clenched fists. He pacified himself.

“I have been a little unwell for the past few days…” He spoke hesitatingly, his voice dropping to a little more than a whisper. He could not tell the prince about his visions, and at the same time, he could not lie to those honest eyes. “Not anything to be worried about. It shall pass,” he added. He raised his head to meet the prince’s gaze. He peered into those firm grey eyes. I will be more careful from now on, he promised himself.

“I’ll be fine, Prince Kari. Just…” the knight drew in his breath softly before whispering, “Just take care of yourself.”

Kari attached the bow to the quiver strapped to his back as he stared up at his knight, waiting impatiently for an answer. When he received one, he was not impressed. He crossed his arms in front of his chest, one eyebrow raised, his expression clearly unconvinced. "I appreciate your concern for me," he said mockingly - even though he truly was grateful for the distant tenderness that Eirik showed him, as he despised being suffocated by his family's empty declarations of love - "but this isn't about me. I want to know what's bothering you." His tone was cruel, but if anyone had been looking past his method of speech, they would be able to see that the cold, heartless prince was actually worried about someone other than himself. "I will not return to my practice until you explain what is going on. And I will know if you are lying."

The youngest prince's brothers were staring at the two of them now, their gazes full of mistrust towards the blonde man. Kari completely disregarded them, however, and continued to watch his knight for any odd reactions. Eirik had been acting strange lately, and he had tried to ignore it. But his gentle nature, the side of him that he hid from everyone because he was afraid of getting hurt, wouldn't let it go. He considered Eirik to be his only friend, even if he didn't acknowledge it or act like it.

The knight sighed and pursed his lips, cornered under the might of the prince’s stance. He stared at the ground with half-lidded eyes, his shoulders drooped. This morning had started off unpleasantly and it only became worse. First the prince’s mysterious injuries, now this bold confrontation. How unfair of you, dear prince, he thought, to expect such honesty out of me when you have been so guarded.

“It is true, Prince Kari, what I said,” he finally breathed calmly, “What bothers me is an illness, that has only gotten worse since morning. After seeing you bruised like that, not knowing what happened…” His voice became subdued. He knew that the prince was skeptical. But it was no lie. It was the truth, only cleverly disguised. “The only cure to this illness is in ensuring Prince Kari’s safety,” he repeated. His words were tactfully chosen, so as to conceal any accusation, yet to hint that Prince Kari was the source of his anxiety. This is about you.

He hoped that the Prince might leave him at this, or that his brothers might interject. He could feel their simultaneous penetrating gazes boring a hole right through him, and if the pair was to continue conversing in public any longer, their glares alone would set him on fire.

At first, Kari only stared up at his knight with an expression of disbelief and impatience. However, as he continued to study the taller man's face, he realized with a start that the other was telling the truth. The prince's gray eyes widened a fraction of a inch, and for a few moments he was at a loss for words. He's feeling ill...because he's worried about me? A strange sensation tugged at the prince's chest, and the sharp glare in his eyes softened without his knowledge. This man, who I am so cruel to...he does this to himself for my sake? Kari realized at that moment that Eirik did almost everything for him. He said he's listen, that he'd try to understand. The young prince was overwhelmed with conflicting emotions, and for a moment he averted eye contact with the blonde man in front of him.

Kari's outward defense told him to scoff, to avoid further conversations and to push it all away. It didn't really mean anything. He didn't need the knight's pity. But the part of him that was locked away in the very depths of his soul told him that it wasn't pity, that someone actually cared for him, and that he wanted it. He wanted to be cared for, and he wanted to be able to care for someone else. It told him that he actually hated being alone, that he was scared of being alone, and that he hated himself because he wasn't normal, and that this person could be the one to see him as normal. Kari's breath caught in his throat, and he closed his eyes briefly to calm down. Then he looked up at Eirik, and the ghost of a smile appeared. "Thank you...for being concerned about me. But I assure you that I'm perfectly safe." The thanks to you went unspoken, yet was implied.