How Did He Do That?! (Zombie_In_A_Box)

Nicholi

How Did He Do That??

Name: Joshua

Race: Human

Appearance:

xqf8dz.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It had been 3 weeks since he had come here. Being taken on to become a magician's apprentice was his dream. He wanted to learn how to do what those famous magician's could do. And now... he was given this chance by one of the only Magician's that was considered the Houdini of his time. He spend the first week doing nothing but reading up on techniques and slight of hand tricks that were the easiest ones to learn.

He had been working extra hard after the 2nd week. Trying his best to learn what he could from his mentor. Slipping up a few times was to be expected of a new apprentice. The easier tricks did not give him much of a problem as he learned. But it came down to the third week and that's when he began to have problems. Performing those tricks was the hard part, learning how to do them... a little be easier.

Failed... again. How did he always end up failing to do this one damn trick? How had his mentor done it? He had watched the man do it countless times, and even knew the trick to it. Groaning as he let himself fall back into the chair of the library, mumbling under his breath. "Stupid thing just wont work for me."

Sky blue eyes flickered as he stared at the damn box that just wouldn't work with him. Anger beat at him as he felt so close to giving up already thinking that he would never be as good as his mentor. It was when he heard the voice in the door way that caused him to still, and then to move his gaze over to his mentor.

"Take a break, You will get it sooner or later." The voice had not been mocking but encouraging.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nicholi

• Zombie_In_A_Box

Name: Cecil

Ocupation: Magician

Race: Human

Appearance:

file.jpg

Cecil had been watching his student for a while now. Each time the new trick didn't work out, his frown deepened a bit more. Sure, this wasn't the easiest of them all, but Joshua was getting too worked up about it. If he was trying too hard, it wouldn't work at all. This was just how it was... In his opinion, one had to give into magic completely to actually be able to do it. Once there were too many thoughts or too much need and too little wish to do the trick, it just didn't work.

"Take a break, you'll get it sooner or later." He spoke, tilting his head as he walked closer. Placing a hand on the younger's shoulder, a small smile spread across his face. "You're doing good, but I've told you many times already. Don't try to chase it; let it come to you itself." He said and pulled away. All in all, he seemed confident, yet calm. There was certain grace in his posture, as well as there was a hint of pride. Cecil rarely gave out his actual feelings with his body language - he'd mastered it quite a bit by now.

"Why don't we go and get something to eat. Sound good?" He offered and smiled once more, his purple eyes fixated on the other. He liked this boy, he definitely did... He seemed to really want to learn magic, that was a very good quality of a magician. He knew some who only did that to get money - their shows seemed... Fake. Cecil was famous because of his weirdly-realistic shows. No things he did looked fake, unless someone only wanted to see that part. He liked conversing with the spectators, especially little children. Almost every show of his had a few tricks especially for the little ones; he enjoyed seeing their smiles.

Joshua let a loud groan out when he heard the man speaking. Cecil had never taken on an apprentice before, and it made Joshua wonder why exactly Cecil took him on the first place. Then again, he did know that a few years ago. One of Cecil's prized tricks had been stolen by another magician. He remember when Cecil first took him in, and began showing off different tricks. But it had been a deep hurt and sadness in the man's eyes that he couldn't shake off. For a magician's prized trick to be taken away from him and the secrets to be shown off like that... it was like a physical blow to the gut.

Joshua snapped out of his thoughts and looked to Cecil once more. Sighing softly when he lowered his gaze to that damned box that just didn't want to work with him. "I've been working on this same trick for the past day and a half. Even the other's you taught me didn't take this damn long to get it to work right." He murmured lightly. "I'm trying my best, and I just cant see what I am doing wrong." He sighed.

He had hoped to get this one down before to much longer, but hearing the man once again. He groaned in defeat. He hadn't eaten ever since he had gotten up, and it was starting to slow his reaction time. He felt sort of sluggish. "Yea... I guess." He said softly and placed the box down on the table. He sat down and put his shoes on before turning to the man once more. "Could you... show me again, after we get back? There has to be something I am missing." He whispered.

Cecil smiled at the younger male, shaking his head lightly. "Don't rush it." It was all he said before glancing away, almost as if he'd heard something. Sadly, it was only his imagination. "Your problem is thinking too much about it. Just give it time and you'll get it. You're... A really good student." It was rare for Cecil to praise the other; or anyone. At least without hiding it or just telling it to another person. It had something to do with a certain event in the past... He hated talking of it, he despised even remembering about it.

"No more for today." Cecil said with a small frown on his face. "You can either take some free time and do what you want, or you can spend time with me. I was planning to go and buy some things for my performances anyway..." The raven talked a bit absentmindedly while walking to the door, expecting for Joshua to follow. "You may continue learning tomorrow. With a clear mind, it will be easier to focus on the mechanics of it." He talked, stopping at the doorstep. "Now come on, I'll treat you to whatever you want." His frown had morphed into a smile sometime during his talking. It was no secret that Cecil was quite wealthy - his shows were extremely popular, and yet he didn't have a fancy house or anything of the sort. He much rather donated or gave the money to some homeless person instead of spending it on useless stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Joshua let a small groan leave his lips when he heard the man. "If im a good student, then how am I failing on one of your simpliest tricks?!" He whined out softly with a soft pout on his face. He had managed to learn one of Cecil complicated tricks without any hard effort into it. But this damned box was giving him the hardest time.

He stilled when he heard the ban being issued. He lowered his gaze when he heard the man. "Ok..." He whispered softly. This was the first time Cecil had issued a ban before on him, and he wasnt so sure how he felt about it. He nodded after a long moment before following after the man. "I want some seafood." He said softly. It had been quite some time since he had eatten any, and his mouth watered at the thought of it.

"A good student is one that pays attention and works well. No one succeeds easily on certain tricks... Their difficulity varies from person to person, Joshua. It may be harder for you to understand this one, but you already learned a lot more." The man talked quietly, lightly placing a hand on his shoulder before they had to leave. "Don't look so upset. You need a break." Cecil muttered and began walking out.

"Seafood it is." He smiled lightly while putting on his long, dark coat he often wore outside. It was autumn, the day was short and cold. While he preffered cold over hot, the man still didn't feel like freezing. "Do you want to walk or drive?" He asked, stopping next to his trusted car. Cecil really seemed to be a simple person from the outside...

• 2 weeks later...

Joshua pouted a moment when he heard the man. "But... its one of your simplest tricks!" He groaned softly. "It shouldnt be giving me this much trouble." He sighed as he shook his head. He didnt feel like he needed a break, but his stomach on the other hand... was growling like a lion in search for food.

When he heard that they would go out for some seafood, he cheered up a bit. His mouth watered at the thought of some crab legs. He couldnt remember the last time he had had any. "Drive... I dont really feel much like walking halfway across town just for some crab legs." He said softly. By they time they would get there walking, he was sure that he would starve.

Cecil frowned, feeling as if he was trying to prove a kid wrong. "Did you not listen to me? Each trick varies in difficulity of learning for each person. Harder tricks were easy for you, so this one is harder. It's different; it's not weird that you can't quite understand. I won't repeat myself here again, Joshua." He said quietly, shooting a small glance at his student. Soon his eyes regained their warmth, a small smile curling his lips.

"Get in then." He said simply as he opened the door for himself and sat down at the driver's seat. Soon enough he was driving, the radio playing quietly. He hated being in total silence with someone.. Alone it was good, but when with someone, it was far worse immediately. Awkward, even. He pulled up at his favorite seafood restaurant and got out, looking straight at Joshua. "Don't pay attention to prices and order what you want."

Joshua huffed when he was being scolded like some mear toddler. But he decided to let the thought in his mind go. He didnt need Cecil to become upset with him, only if the topic was about a trick he had been working on. He soon groaned softly, dropping the subject. Hearing the man, he nodded and climbed into the front passenger seat of the car.

His gaze darted outside, as he watched the various stores pass by. Thinking to himself, the classical music he had gotten use to. Being around this man for only a short time, he felt... comfortable around him. To a point. He wasnt comfortable enough to run around nude in the house. But still... The man had been quiet at first when he came to him. However, it seemed that Cecil warmed up to him quickly as well. Showing him all sorts of tricks and teaching him tips on how certain tricks were done. But when the car stopped, he looked to the man when he heard the words. He lowered his gaze for a long moment. He wanted to argue about the prices. But the last time he did that, Cecil went above him and bought him the most expensive thing on the menu and made him eat it all.

That dad had been a funny one after that moment. Snapping out of his thoughts. "Ok..." He said softly. Following after the man into the place. "Why do you blow your money so much, Cecil?" He asked softly. He had never had a chance before to ask the man. "I mean, I know you donate a lot of your money to charity. But, Im curious. You spend so much money already on me. Let alone the new equipment you bought just for my own tricks." He asked.

Cecil ignored the groan from Joshua, wishing to drop the subject. The other just had to relax a little bit while learning... He'd get it eventually, the raven was sure of it. This guy was a good student, he tried hard and often, he succeeded in things he did. Most importantly, he didn't seem like one who would give up. This was the quality Cecil found most important when taking in students; which happened awfully rarely, too. All in all, Joshua was lucky. Cecil was just strict enough to remain as a friend and still be a teacher, his explanations were clear and he often gave an example on how to perform a trick.

The question that came at him was definitely surprising, which displayed perfectly on Cecil's confused face. He sat down, one eyebrow raised slightly. "Blow money? I doubt I do that. I don't spend it anywhere anyway, so why not use it on something that me or others can enjoy? Food is definitely not a waste of money." He ended and took off his coat, hanging it next to their table. "And the equipment is a neccessity. As a teacher, I must provide you with all the learning needs." The raven said and smiled.

Soon enough, an attractive waitress brought their menus, asking both of them if there were any drinks they wanted to get immediately. Her gaze often darted to Joshua, her whole demeanor giving out her opinion about the male. Cecil's only reaction was a small, teasing glint in his eyes as he rolled a toothpick between his fingers. "I'll have some black coffee then." He said, his voice smooth and low - it momentarily snapped the waitress' attention away from his student... How convenient.