Between Rivals (w/ Wewuwe 18+)

Envy

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.

Asa_zpsa0c36bc1.png

Akaryn Rivinbane

Heavy gray clouds moved with a lethargic slowness over head in the early morning.

Their deep colors lighting as the sun began its daily climb into the sky. The icy winds that accompanied them felt of snow being harbored in those deep colored clouds. The earth below were covered already with a thick layer, but it was as if nature deemed it was not enough, and the first of the snowflakes drifted down tto the world, finding the fort of Sinthine awake. The men behind the twenty foot walls were woken with the very first light by the resident rooster, following it call to rise and start their day.

It was such a strange bird, or at least that is what Akarin believed when he had been woken by the creature for he fifth morning since he had arrived to the fort.

Than again, almost everything about the place was a little on the odd side to him. Watching from his window as the people of the this 'fortress' as they called it, mill around doing all sorts of chores, his eyes were drawn to the walls once again. Their height was an oppression. An oppression he had felt as soon as he had walked through the open gates. He was not use to such things as walls towering over ones head to keep the world at bay.

It was not natural.

The walls blocked his view of the forest on the other side, and the vast plains beyond them. He had grown from a boy to a man running through those trees, sleeping in the grasses on the warmer months. He hunted these lands all his life, and now he stood behind these walls, barred from all he knew. The cold wind blew through the open window drifting snow inside the room. His eyes flickered from the fort walls to the room around him. More wood. And though it was made from something that had once lived and thrived, they were now devoid of that life and the whole place felt... empty.

The cabin, as he was told to call it, was made to house the man who lived here well before he had come here.

Not wanting to think on 'him' he turned back tot he window his eyes now landing on the men, determined not to look at those walls again and what they now kept from him. But this had been his decision, the fate that his sanja had told him of so long ago. To follow in his fathers steps, or take a road that would lead him to distant places far beyond their known world. It had been a hard one, but he believed the right one.

The voices from the other side of the door made him turn away from watching the horses being tethered to their wagons and saddled. One voice he knew, and the other was one he did not. It sounded as if they were moving towards the bedroom and he felt a small clinch in his stomach.

It must be time to go.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Envy

• Wewuwe

untitled.png

The door opened slowly as Mavrick and another man walked into the room, bags on they're shoulders. Mavrick glanced over at the other man in his room with a blank look, then finally spoke.

"We're leaving soon, I want to try to get there by nightfall." He said, not giving any room for argument.

The other man that came in with Mavrick leaned in and whispered something into the brunette's ear.

"Alright." Mavrick gave a nod to the man and his friend walked out, off I do whatever he had said to do.

The silence was almost painful.

"You can ride horses, right?" He asked, raising an eyebrow at such a silly question, but he thought he'd ask.

He felt uncomfortable, and felt like he was wrong in some way just talking to this other man...

Silently he watched as the door opened to the sight of two men walking partially into the room.

His violet gaze went between them for a moment until the darker haired man spoke to him, informing they were going. Saying nothing, he watched as the other man left the room after some whispered words. Then it was just him and ...his husband. The other man looked nervous, and Akarin did nothing to make it any easier on him.

This wasn't easy for him either.

At the question of whether he could ride or not, bit back the answer he was about to give, and simply gave a yes as he picked up his cloak. The thing was made from the fur of the white mountain wolves that roamed the ranges, with a deep hood. It was heavy and thick with a double claps around his shoulders so that he was completely engulfed inside the white fur. He gathered the belongings he had brought with him, including his weapons, and moved towards the door, topping just short as he waited for the other man standing there to leave so he could follow.

Mavrick knew this would be a struggle. He didn't even know how to talk to this man.. He only did this so the lands could join together in peace.

"Good, I asked them to prepare a horse for you." Mavrick said as he walked out the door, showing the man the exit.

The brunette looked over at the white pelt, curious if the man had killed the animals on it.

He was sure he did, Akarin seemed like the man who hunted, or at least looked savage enough to.

"It's a good thing you have the pelt, since the pass we're taking is quite cold." He murmured as he opened a large wooden door to the courtyard, where the horses were being kept for them.

"Lets go then." He looked at Akarin before walking over to a black horse and climbing up to the saddle.

Akarin only gave a nod at the other mans words about the horses.

When he turned to go, he followed, the soles of his soft boots not making a sound on the wooden floor. Violet eyes flickered to the taller man when he spoke to him once again. He looked down at the cloak before moving his gaze ahead since they reached the door.

He didn't get a chance to speak before the other was out the door. Watching as the other man mount his ride, he looked to the horse he was being given. It wasn't his horse, some animal he didn't know was saddled and waiting for him.

A slight frown came to his brow, as his eyes went to the young boy holding onto the animals bridle, “Where is my horse?” he asked him, his accented voice smooth and patient.

He had learned their language quickly though he was still learning, but he knew enough to understand and be understood.

The youth looked at him a little nervously, but kept eye contact. Good; he thought, someone that didn't cower like he was suddenly going to turn into a monster and eat them whole.

“He's was too rowdy to saddle. So they tied him to the back of the wagon to be taken along.” he answered lowly as he pointed to the animal.

The large stallion was indeed tethered to the wagon, his thick for the winter silvery blue coat looked as if it hadn't been groomed, as did his tail and mane. With a silent sigh he walked his way towards his horse, leaving the young boy to look to his prince uncertain on what to do, but a moment later the violet eyed man was coming back with his horse following.

“My saddle?” he asked, and with the boys look of confusion he described it to him, asking him to get it.

The boys eyes widened as he remembered seeing it and the look on the others face was slowly becoming stony, “Th-they used it for scrape leather....” he said as he took a step back, unsure about the flare of rage that came to the older mans eyes.

"Your saddle was a joke of a blanket for your horse."

Mavrick said, trotting up to him. "Just use the other saddle,

Yours was wretched.." He pinched his face in at the memory of the tattered leather.

"And think before again disobeying my choices." He motioned to the horse he was given to ride. "I'll let it go, but don't make that mistake again." His voice was annoyed, he obviously liked his order of things and didnt like when it wasn't taken into consideration.

The brunette let the small threat linger in the brisk air for a money before he looked down at the other man. "C'mon, were wasting daylight.." He was trying his best to be nice and attempt to make this work, but they were opposites about so many things...

The princes voice had his eyes turning from the young boy to him.

Hearing what he was saying, Akarin's expression only got more stormy, making the younger man to take another step back wide eyed. All he could think of was telling the other man to shut the hell up as he went on. The only person he had ever taken orders from had been his father, and he was in the earths embrace. This... husband of his seemed to think he was his new lord. Even after he stopped speaking, Akarin continued to look at him, not moving to do anything at all, his silence and anger was almost a palpable thing.

These people understood nothing, and he wasn't going to waste his breath.

Turning back to the boy, he handed him his bag, “The wagon.” he told him politely despite his simmering temper, keeping his weapon with him.

As the boy took the bag, he secured his sword at his waist before he spoke in his native tongue to his horse. The tall animal bowed himself to allow his rider on his back, standing when he felt the pat to his neck. He was no stranger to riding saddle-less, and pointedly ignoring the other horse, and the prince, he turned his horse towards the gates.

Mavrick was uneasy with the look the other man had given him..

He didn't mean to sound rude, but he was too prideful to apologize.

The brunette watched his husband turn towards the gate, and followed, annoyed he wasn't leading.

"You don't know where you're going." He said flatly, trotting up to Akarin and looking at his stormy expression.

"You're going to have to at least try to listen to me.." He glowered.

- - - Updated - - -

Mavrick was uneasy with the look the other man had given him..

He didn't mean to sound rude, but he was too prideful to apologize.

The brunette watched his husband turn towards the gate, and followed, annoyed he wasn't leading.

"You don't know where you're going." He said flatly, trotting up to Akarin and looking at his stormy expression.

"You're going to have to at least try to listen to me.." He glowered.

Akarin looked to the prince after he rode up to him.

“The gates are still closed.” he pointed out helpfully to the other man evenly. “Your people have not treated Ikyros well.” he said as he indicated the animals appearance. “Is this an acceptable practice?” he inquired with a lift of his brow.

Before the prince could answer, there was another voice that interrupted “No it is not Thaja.”

Akarin knew that voice well. He turned his head to look down at the approaching king who was now his brother-in-law. The young kings lips thinned in a flat line at the sight of him. This man was responsible for this whole situation, and the smile that he was wearing never reached his eyes, and he always wore it around him which made the hairs on the back of his neck stand on end, this time was no different.

He stiffened when the older man stopped beside him and placed a hand on his horses shoulder close to his knee.

“I apologize for my men' lack of attention to your animal. I will make certain to have a talk to them.” the king said, looking up at him with that same smile.

With a tight nod, Akarin turned his horse away from the gates, pacing his horse across the court yard. The king watched him go before he turned his attention to his younger brother, his smile melting right away.

Thain fixed his sibling with a hard look, “Pick and chose your battles with him Mavrick. He's not going to be a willing pet so soon. Remember, he has every reason to hate you and your just feeding him more fuel.” he advised.

Not for the first time he wondered if his brother had been the right choice. He would have done it himself, he liked breaking in defiant toys, but he had a wife waiting at home for him so he had to pass this one off to his brother.

Too bad really.

“You should hurry if you want to get through the pass before dark. Commander Payne is waiting for you at the Halen post.” he said before his eyes looked away to the dark-haired tribal king walking his horse before looking back to his brother “Good luck.”

Mavrick just gave a quick nod. "Thank you brother." He murmured before yelling to raise the gate.

As soon as the guards opened the gate he galloped up to Akarin and gave him a look that almost looked entertained.

"We have to hurry if we want to make it to the point before dusk." He said, nudging his horses sides and began trotting away.

After he was a good distance from his brother's ears a scowl grew on his face. "...some pet?" He scoffed. "He's disgusting." He sighed out of irritation and continued to ride.

Akarin wasn't far behind the prince when he made his way out of the gates.

His horse was more than ready to run, so he allowed him to gallop, not a full run, once they cleared the fort. Soon he was passing their party and the prince as the stallions long legs at up the ground. The thick snow had been cleared on the path they meant to take by a group who had left well before dawn. Snow still fell from the skies, but it was soft and melted easily as he rode over ir.

When he got well ahead of the others, he slowed Ikayros to a stop.

He was alone for now, and around him was nothing but the forest and stillness. Closing his eyes, he took in a deep breath, pulling the cold air into his lungs. The sweet scent of snow, trees, and earth soothed down his edgy nerves, calming him like nothing else. All the space around him made the closed up feeling of the fort vanish.

Slowly, he breathed out, this was what he needed.

"Son of a--" Mavrick growled out as Akarin flew past him. His first thought was that the man was running away and leaving Mavrick.

The brunette scoffed at the ludicrous idea he thought of.

"Give us some space." Mavrick ordered the men a he kicked his heels into his horses side, running off.

The air was nipping at his bare face, causing him to hide in the thick scarf around his neck.

He finally spotted his husband and was able to catch up to him after a moment. Akarin's horse was much faster than his...

"Next time enlighten me before galavanting off on your merry way." Mavrick said as he stopped his horse beside Akarin. His tone was calm, but you could tell he wasn't very happy.

"Please, just warn me ahead of time." He lowered his voice, not meaning to get so upset, he was just nervous Akarin would leave..

He looked out at the endless trails they had to travel. "It's so peaceful, lets hope it stays that way for the trip. The stopping point is quite a ways ahead." He let out a small, quiet sigh.

"Like it or not, I want you to stay at least somewhat close to me, I am your husband. I need to protect the one I marry." He did look sincere, but they're was a slight struggle in his voice, still not happy with the idea of this arrangement.

Akarin heard the sound of the horse approaching before he opened his eyes.

Seeing the prince heading his way, he remained where he was to allow him to pull up beside him. His horse wanted to run more, too long kept in the confines of the forts stables. The dark-haired king kept him under control with a pressure from his hand on his neck, his time to run would come later.

The first words out of the other mans mouth was met with a blank expression,he listened to everything he had to say to him before he tilted his head to the side lightly, his violet eyes racking over thi man he had attached himself to for the rest of his life.

“Keep me safe? In my own home lands? You are aware I can care for myself.” he replied evenly.

He wasn't trying to be offending. But he decided that the others... concern was worth heeding since he seemed genuine.

Giving his head a small nod, he moved his horse next to the princes until their knees brushed against one another lightly. His mount was much taller then the others, so he was a few inches taller. “I will stay within eye sight.” he conceded soothingly meeting his gaze with his own.

"I appreciate it.." Mavrick said softly, glancing down at the touch of the others knee, a small jolt of heat moving up his leg.

"C'mon.." He moved forward, trotting up to the newest path, "we need to keep going." He murmured, bundling himself into his scarf. "It's getting cold quickly." He frowned, worried about getting sick before he would even be able to get home..

"Also," he started, looking at Akarin, "was there any place in particular you'd like to go for our honeymoon?" He asked, trying to be okay with the idea. "There's this beach along the eastern shore I enjoy." He suggested, trying to give him an idea.

Akarin moved his horse to walk along side the other mans.

He listened to him speak even with the scarf he could make out his words well enough. The question had the younger mans brows furrowing lightly. Not able to place the words into any context, so he looked back to the other man.

“What is this... honey moon? It is something you eat?” he asked curiously.

Never had he heard of such a thing, and he wondered how the moon could become honey.

Wouldn't that mean it would have done the same in his homeland too?

Or perhaps it was some type of feast on certain times of the moons phases. Maybe his people have those type of things. He knew very little of this mans culture, and he realized that he would need to learn, and soon since he would be living among them for the foreseeable future.

Mavrick tried his best not to laugh at his poor husband, but failed miserable. His shoulders shook as he laughed softly, almost finding Akarin cute for the moment. His laugh was so lighthearted that it showed his he was around ones he was comfortable with.

"No. A honeymoon is a type of trip you take with the one you've just wedded. It's normally a romantic place, or any area you wished to go one day." He said, continuing to keep his horse beside Akarin's.

Akarin watched the prince as he laughed at his question.

He didn't see the humor, only because he was seriously curious, but he gave him a small smile anyway and a nod of his head at the answer he received. After he gave it some thought. A romantic place. Then he turned his attention back to the other man.

“You wish to go to a romantic place with me?” he asked with a small frown marring his brow again.

The thought never crossed his mind until that moment. Their marriage was one of convenience, and it never occurred to him that the prince would want more than this from him. In fact, the other hadn't seemed at all interested in him. Not that he could blame him, he too stayed as far from him as possible, he made no attempts to get to know him. Though he wasn't so sure they had much in common.

But, how was he suppose to know for sure if he never asked?

Mavrick tried to find a form of excuse. "Well.. I see why not. You are my husband, I should at least attempt to get along with you." He said, shifting his eyes to Akarin'a confused face.

"Think of it as a small break from reality." He tried to explain, maybe hoping to find a better way to describe a honeymoon.

"Is there any shores you'd like to see, or other lands, anything you want we can try to go." He said, trying to give Akarin a smile.

• 2 weeks later...

Akarin gave a slow nod of his head as the prince answered his question.

If the other man wished to get along, than he wouldn't dissuade him. He was right after all. They were in this whether they wanted to be or not so it was better if they made the best of it. At the last question, he gave it some thought. A place he would like to go...

Home.

But he didn't say that. He hadn't left yet and already he wanted to turn back around. It would be the first time he had ventured from his lands, and he would miss it until he returned. If he ever returned.

Looking to the prince by his side, he gave a small shake of his head “I have no place I would like to go, so I guess you can choose.” he said finally.

The rest of the day was spent on the road with small breaks every few hours. The snowfall let up just after the afternoon and the sun peeked out for the last of the day. Close to the evening they arrived to the pass they had tried to make before dark, and the younger man remained silent as the other men spoke among themselves. This was where his homeland was left behind and Akarin did not look back, a voice in his head urged him to turn around, to not leave his birthplace.

It was the hardest thing he ever did.

Just before dark they came out of the pass, and the fort they were to stay in that night could be seen in the distance up on the rise they emerged from. By the time they reached the gates the sun had completely vanished from sight and the night closed in around them all. The gates were thrown open when they were spotted, and the king rode inside silently, his eyes going around himself. The place was much like the fort they had left that morning, and it was just as enclosing to him.

A tall man with salt and pepper hair and dressed for the cold weather rushed towards then as a few men came to take the horses and help the arriving party. The man took one look at Akarin, his dress giving the fact that he was native away. He skirted around the violet eyed man to get to the prince, a smile forming on his face when he stepped forward to greet him.

“Ptince Mavrick. Welcome. You're accommodations have been made ready for your stay. Will you join me for dinner?” he greeted.

(Sorry for the wait)

Mavrick gave a small smile to the man, slowing his horse down to walk beside the man for a moment.

"Thank you." Mavrick looked over at Akarin noticing the very small amount of uncomfortableness he was showing.

Maybe he never left home before?

The brunette finally slid off his horse next to he man with greying hair.

"Dinner sounds lovely, I appreciate it." He smiled, shaking he man's hands.

It was going to take a moment to decide where Mavrick wanted to take Akarin to for the honeymoon.

He really did way this to work, it's just so damn tedious.

Commander Payne shook the younger mans hand.

“Of course.” he said “I had my quarters prepared for you and your wife for the night. I can show you both there now to freshen up since it has a private bath.” he said before he looked around for the woman that his prince had brought along.

He been told that the young royal had been married to a native, which he had automatically assumed was a woman. His eyes went to the wagons rolling inside, thinking she was riding with them. Akarin had heard the older mans comment about a 'wife' and his brow creased with a small frown as he slid from his horse for the first time in hours. Obviously news about their marriage had spread, but not the fact that the 'wife' was in fact a 'husband'.

The boy from that morning popped up beside him suddenly, catching his attention as he gave the young king a small smile and offered to take Ikyros to the stables. The violet eyed man took that opportunity to tell him how to care for the stallion while the prince spoke with the older man.

Mavrick couldn't help but chuckle at Akarin's displeased face as the commander said 'wife'.

"Thank you Sir. This is Akarin, my husband." He reached out to lightly tug Akarin to him.

"I would like if dinner could be brought to my quarters tonight. We're both very exhausted and don't have the capability to socialize." He said as he motioned for Akarin to follow.

The brunette grabbed his small amount of luggage and hauled it over his shoulder.

Mavrick needed sleep, and to talk things through with Akarin.

Commander Payne's eyes went as wide as they could go when the prince introduced his 'husband' to him a moment after his words.

The dark haired man blinked in obvious surprise when he was tugged over to the prince's side, but he didn't move away, his violet eyes going to the taller commander as the prince finished speaking, giving orders for their food to be brought to their room.

Payne gave a slow nod of his head, not sure what to say in the light of the his prince married to a native 'man'. But he was smart enough not to let his thoughts show, only his shock.

“Of course your highness. Right this way.” he said before he motioned for the couple to follow him.

Akarin stayed by his husbands side as they were lead to the main building. They traveled through a common room and up a set of stairs set at the back of the large building. Once on the second level, Payne lead them down a wide hall, taking a bend they came to large door at the end of the corridor. It was decorated with a scene of what appeared to be hunters in the woods making a kill where as all the other doors they had passed had been plain.

The commander opened the door stepping aside to allow the prince and his husband to pass before he stood in the doorway once they were inside, “Your food shall be here soon. And the bath is through that door just to your left. I shall see you both tomorrow. Goodnight your...” he said, hesitating on how to address the royal's husband but the violet eyed man seemed to have already forgotten he was there as he looked around the room. “...highness'.” he settled for since the man was now a royal family member and departed the room.

Akarin honestly didn't realize what had been said as he examined the his surroundings as the door clicked softly after the commander. The room was larger than the one he had been given at the other fort, with a table for two under the large window. The bed was large. Not larger than the bed he had left when he left his home, but still large. The wooden walls gleamed as if they had been polished and what looked like animal skins were hanging up on them along with a painting or two. The wall sconces were made out black iron, and they used white crystals to light the room with a clean warm glow.

There was a fire going in the stone fireplace, a large wardrobe stood against the wall off the right side of the bed. It too was decorated with hand carvings that he didn't take the time to study since he came across the bathing room. He wasn't sure how they managed it, but the large iron tub was more than large enough for him and the prince if they wished to share. It was raised off the floor by a heating grate underneath and a small corner fireplace was lit to help burn wood down to coals to they could then be used to heat the bath, which was filled to the rim with steaming water that he assumed came from the facet jutting out from a pipe connected to the wall. The floor here was stone instead of wood like the rest of the room and he found himself wondering just how this all worked. The fort they had stayed in didn't have anything like this, nor did his home.

He turned around to ask the prince since he was sure he knew, but he was distracted by something he should have realized before now.

There was only one bed.

Sure it was large, but... where was they to sleep?

Mavrick looked at the other man, seeing the uncomfortable look on Akarin's face.

He knew what the man was thinking.

"Your concerned that's there's only one bed." He stated, looking at the man. "I'm not ordering for them to send you a new place to sleep. You're my husband, and we sleep in the same bed."

Mavrick's voice was stern, showing Akarin his stubborn side.

His eyes softened as he looked at Akarin. "..I'm sorry, you just seem so unconfortable here." He frowned, taking a step to the other man, but making sure he was a safe distance so he didn't upset Akarin.

"Is there any way I could make you feel more at ease?"

Akarin looked to Mavrick when he began to speak, his eyes moving from the bed to the other man.

The tone of his voice as he was told they would be sharing the bed made it clear that whether he wanted to or not, it was happening. His face cleared of any expression, and he was about to tell him he would sleep on the floor, he was use to it, but the next moment the prince was apologizing to him, his expression softening as he moved towards him but stopped from getting too close.

His words were true, he was uncomfortable. He was away from his home, in a place that everyone looked at him like he was some type of untamed animal, surrounded by people that would most likely not think twice about slitting his throat in his sleep. And a bed he was to share with a man he wasn't so sure he should trust in the dark,with his eyes closed as he left himself vulnerable.

The question had him on the verge of telling the other man there was nothing he could do, but he stopped himself. The prince was trying to reach out, if a little tentatively, and he kept in mind that he would have to learn to get along with this man, he was going to need him once they reach his home.

“I... don't know.” he told him, because he didn't.

Looking away he moved towards the bed, sinking down on the edge facing towards the room and Mavrick. The room was well heated, so he reached up and removed the cloak he had been wearing, and then the leather under coat after that leaving him in a sleeveless top.

After a moment he looked up to the prince, “Which side do you want?” he asked, letting him know he was at least accepting this much for now.