Bittersweet Retribution ((CesareB x Pokewriter1))

CesareB

Rino could feel the heat. It seemed impossible to believe that his parents' death was 13 years ago. It felt so much longer, like fifty years. Rino packed up his equipment and stretched. He couldn't just sit around anymore. After all, he was too close to his goal. Just a few more hours until it got dark, and he would be able to enact his revenge on that vile demon. For years, that was all Rino could think of. His cerulean eyes pictured that demon's death. And he wanted to kill that demon with his own two hands.

That was why he had trained for years. Since he was ten years old, Rino had been killing demons. It seemed odd to most, but he was determined. Over the years, he had gotten an immense fame from his hunting. It had even earned him the nickname "Raven" because of his black hair. Rino disliked the nickname, and never used it. In fact, he almost never used his name.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pokewriter1

• CesareB

Ares sat in the little ragged house at the side of town. Almost no one came there, claiming that it was haunted. He liked it that way, then everybody stayed away and left him alone. He sighed and laid back, staring up at the rotted ceiling. He didn't really want to stay in this village much longer. He had heard another hunter was coming. Or possibly, the hunter was already in town...waiting to strike. But, either way he had to leave soon. Lifting himself up off the bed he looked outside. He currently resided in his demon form, to weak to keep himself in his human form for long.

Rino looked out the inn's window and watched as the sun set. And that was his cue. He pushed the door open and rushed outside to the street. Despite being dark out, there was still a large number of people roaming about. According to resources, the demon that had killed Rino's family lived in an old cottage at the side of town. He made his way there, stealthily making no sounds. Rhino knew as much as every demon hunter that demons could pick up on scents. That's why he had to make sure that he was careful not to let the demon know about his presence.

Ares got out of bed and sat on the windowsill. He softly began to sing into the night, waiting for the hunter he knew was going to come. The signing wasn't a chant or anything. It was actually just him...singing. He did it when he wanted to pass the time. After all, I have to wait for this hunter to come along...I wonder if this one...is strong...why do they always attack me? I hate it. His eyes closed as he kept singing, his voice carrying in the wind.

Rino walked ahead. But he soon came to a halt when he heard singing. Where in the world was that singing coming from? He quickly hid for cover and listened closely. It sounding almost like an incantation, but he didn't recognize it. But it was almost impossible for him to not recognize the incantation. After all, he had dedicated half of his life to learning all of he incantations known to man. He sighed and trudged to the old house where the demon was staying.

Ares stopped his singing and looked down at his hands. Due to his mixed blood he had the gift of one of the 'special' demons. He could hear ones heartbeat. So the hunter has come for me. He slipped back inside and looked to the door. I wonder what kind of hunter it'll be this time. He sat down on the bed and watched the door, but glanced to the window now and again. He wasn't sure what this hunter wanted from him... But if I am attacked I will have no choice but to eliminate this hunter... He thought.

Rino found himself in front of the old cottage doors. He stopped and surveyed the area.

"Come out, demon!" he called, sticking his hand in his back pocket, getting ready for an attack.

In his experiences, he knew that when challenged, most demons attacked without reason. But that was "most". Not all demons were the same. Rino had come across different types of demons in his twenty-odd number of years. Some where bullheaded, some where smart, and some were actually respectable. But Rino didn't care. His only goal was to eliminate those demons.

Ares lifted himself off of the bed and then slowly walked to the door. "Why are you here hunter?" He asked through the door, not yet opening it. "What business do you have with me?" He could smell the blood of many demons on the weapons this man carried. But he didn't care. The demons had forsaken him. That was why he bore the mark under his eye. It was me?a mark of forsaken... This hunter...does he think so lightly of me? He wondered.

Rino sighed. "Why am I here? Must I answer such an obvious question? Well, I'm here to avenge my family. Childish, I know, but I have never forgiven you for all of those years…"

He could remember that bloody day like it was just the day before. His mother, a bright and beautiful woman, had sent him to go pick a few berries from the neighborhood garden, which was a twenty minute walk away. Rino's family lived in a small village that was self sufficient. No one there complained about what they didn't have. And because of that, Rino grew up strong willed. On the walk to the garden, Rino's small body got morbidly tired. He stopped to catch his breath and took refuge beneath a tree.

Just as he was about to get up and make his way to the gardens, he saw a quick flash of blackness swoop past him. There was a tight feeling in his stomach, and he suddenly felt the need to check on his family. Rino dropped everything and rushed back to his home. Sadly, he was too late. It took about ten minutes for him to run there. As soon as he got there, he stopped at the door. It had been forced down, leaving only a few jagged pieces laying about. Rino, shaking, walked inside and gasped at the sight he saw.

His mother was half dead; blood ran down her face. Her blonde hair was dyed an ugly red when the blood seeped through. Rino rushed to her.

"M-mother…!" he had explained.

She couldn't move her head, but she moved her mouth. "De…demon… please, R…Rino…"

In the next few years, Rino found himself training his hardest. And that was how he ended up at the old and broken down cottage.

"Avenge your family..." Ares whispered under his breath and he had a sickening feeling then. "I see." He knew a Hunter would eventually come for this reason. He opened the door slowly and stepped out. "So you're here to kill me..." He stated calmly, looking to where the hunters voice traveled from. "...of course. I knew someone would eventually show up for that very reason." He sat down then. "Fine have your way." He didn't have something like revenge to live for, or anything else for that matter really. "I can't say I remember killing your family, but your words heed no lies. It was probably..." He trailed off, now knowing what most likely happened. It was a rampage....and I killed his family. The irony of

It is...high.

Rino paused as he saw the demon sit down.

"Wh-what?" he asked, a bit puzzled. "Why…? Why won't you explain yourself, or not deny it?"

To Rino, that demon seemed more… human. He wasn't like the other demons that he had hunted before. Some would have denied it, or some would have just laughed it off. But that demon didn't. In fact, he seemed to be fine with being killed. That wasn't like other demons.

"...I'm forsaken by both demons and humans. There is no reason for me to keep living. And If you really want to know why..." He paused for a moment. "...I couldn't control myself. I went into a blackout and I woke up covered in blood. I don't expect you to belive me of course, you don't seem to be the type of Hunter that would. So if you just want to kill me fine...I have nothing to do with my life."

Hearing those words, Rino took out his sword and inched closer to the demon. Was he really going to sit there as he was being threatened? Despite having killed so many demons… Rino knew that he couldn't kill this one. Not yet, anyways. He put his sword back in its sheath and sighed.

"I can not kill a demon that will not fight back. It feels… wrong."

For some reason, he had lost the will to revenge his family. Well, not all the way, but it was hard to tell if that demon in front of him was the one that had truly murdered his family in cold blood.

Ares watched him and then stood up. "I do not understand why..." He spoke then...looking at him. "You want to kill me don't you?" He looked at him. "So why do you care if I do not fight you back?" He asked then, his eyes narrowing at the other. If the other said he was going to kill him..but then he didn't... He didn't like that. "Then what are you going to do with me Hunter?" He questioned him.

"Well yes," answered Rino. "But… I can't kill you. It feels really wrong."

Hearing the demon's last question, the hunter stopped. He was unsure. What could he have done with the demon?

"What do you want to do?" Rino asked, moving closer to Ares.

"..." He was silent. He didn't know how to understand this hunter. "If you're not going to kill me..." He paused for a moment. "Then are you eventually going to kill me?" He questioned again. He held his arms close to him. What was he supposed to do about this...? The only solution is that he let the other follow him...and decide when he wanted him to die. He sighed and got up, shaking his head some.

(Sorry it's short...)