Happy Birthday To You (one shot)

shirotsuki

Summary: The dilemma of a young man when it's time to get something for his lover's birthday.

Happy Birthday To You

Jake was in a small coffee shop near the station. The place was neat and it gave away a very peaceful sort of feeling. The young man was sitting in one of the tables near the window. He could see the whole avenue, filled with people walking from one side to another, busy with work or just simply walking into stores to kill some time. However, enjoying the great view was the least important task for him right now. His eyebrows were frown and his expression serious. Whatever the issue worrying him, it was heavy enough to stop his face from remaining composed.

“What’s wrong? Your eyebrows are looking weird… It’s ruining your pretty face.”

Feeling pressure between his eyebrows, Jake looked up and saw a man wearing a suit pressing a finger against his forehead. As fast as the surprise allowed him, he brushed the man’s cold finger away.

“Don’t touch me, please!”

“Boo!! Always so cool to me… How come you are only nice to him? Not fair…” The man was pouting, just like a child would if denied a new toy.

“Don’t be silly, Michael. Act like the adult you are, for god’s sake!”

Jake was sighing and rolling his eyes, showing how little patience was left in him, after a long and hard day.

The man in a suit sitting in front of him was staring at the worried person and wondering what could put him in such a mood.

“So… I’m guessing you didn’t call me here to get angry at me…”

“You’re right. I need your advice and… well… more like… hmm…” Jake seemed quite fidgety and nervous. He was obviously embarrassed to speak out his reason. “It’s like this… You see… I need your help with something…”

Michael couldn’t help but find this awkward side of Jake extremely adorable. He felt like it suited him way more than it should, making it dangerous and tempting for weak men like him.

“I’ll gladly help you. What is it?”

“Well… Today is-“

“Excuse me sirs, have you already decided what you want to order?”

Both of them were surprised by the sudden appearance of the waitress. Looking quite panicked and confused, they both grabbed the menu at the same time. This situation made them even more embarrassed and in a rush. Taking the lead and ignoring the menu, Michael decided to order for the two of them.

“We’ll take two irish coffee”

“Oka-“

“NOOO!!!” Jake screamed so loud that all the people there glanced at him, now standing up and holding the waitress hand, in order to stop her from writing the order. “I-I mean, please no...” An awkward and shy smile was formed in Jake’s lips, as he was slowly going back to his chair.

“Oh! Sorry, it’s okay. So… just one irish coffe? And…” The young woman was looking at the now sitting embarrassed man, waiting for his order.

“Hmm… I… hmm… Just some water, please.”

“I’ll be right back with your order then.” The waitress went back to work, leaving the two men alone.

“What in hell happened just now, Jake?” Michael’s eyes were almost jumping out of his face. Just like everyone else in the coffee shop, he was surprised with his friend’s shocking reaction.

“I… I… I’m sorry… I didn’t mean to embarrass you as well… it’s just that…” Jake was now looking at the table, lacking the courage to meet the other man’s eyes. He kept on squeezing his fingers in between his hands, nonstop, waiting for some answer from the man in a suit.

“I don’t really care what these people think of me or you. But I do have to admit that your scream surprised the hell out of me. I never thought you had such vocal range…” Michael started smirking and laughing out loud, making the screaming man give away a small smile. In truth, that cheerful personality of Michael was one of the reasons for Jake calling him that afternoon. “Anyway, why that reaction? If you didn’t like it, you could have said so… Next time I’ll just ask for normal coffee or something.”

“Well… it’s not that I don’t like it… It’s more like… how to explain… I guess I could call it a special drink? Or something like that…” Jake took a deep breath trying to put his ideas in order. “It’s something that I only want to drink with him so… I’m sorry Michael…” The young man started to blush the moment those words came out of his mouth. It was definitely a delicate issue to him.

“Oh I see… But you could have explained it without the scream and all that show just now…” Michael glanced at Jake’s red cheeks. “Only he can make you blush that way… what a shame for the rest of us…”

Jake glared at the man in the suit. “Don’t joke like that! It’s not funny. What’s a shame? Stop joking.”

Michael smirked while thinking that the delicate man in front of him was completely clueless of how much he was wanted by others.

In the mean while, the waitress brought them their orders and left with a polite smile. She couldn’t help to take a peek at Jake, remembering the way he had screamed at her just a few minutes ago.

The moment she stepped back from the table, Michael started to talk. “So, let’s go straight to the main point. Why the sudden call? Not that I’m complaining though! I’m always happy to meet you.”

“You know what? For a childhood friend you talk too much.” Jake was now smiling, happy to have such a good friend for so long. “Well… the reason for my sudden call is that after the whole day looking into the stores and thinking about it, I still have no idea what to get him…” A big sigh ended the sentence.

Michael was really confused with that half-assed explanation. “Get him what? For what reason?”

Now it was Jake turn to feel surprised and somewhat confused. “For what reason? What the hell Michael?! It’s his birthday today!!”

“Oh right! I forgot!!”

“Anyway, I’ve thought of everything you can imagine but… somehow… I can’t seem to find the perfect gift to give him…”

Michael finally understood why his friend was so edgy and why he had such serious expression earlier. If there was anyone who could mess with him, that anyone was that person. “So, what did you think so far?”

“Well, I tried to think about things he likes or might like… but somehow I feel like it’s really hard to give it to him… I thought about something related to sports, especially winter sports, since it’s so cold right now. But it’s not like I can go practice with him, you know? Since I suck at it… It would be more like a teaching class than an enjoyable day… I was also wondering if I should do something related to music. I do know more a less his taste, but I’m scared that I’ll just pick a song or band he might not really like. And even though I’m really into music, who knows… what if I ruin the whole song? It would be awful… so no! Then I thought of something more personal like going out for dinner in a good restaurant, like those ones with great views over the city, the beach and stuff. But then again… it’s kind of impossible… he’ll be very tired tonight for sure and when I think about it, it would be something he would rather do for me. I mean, he would like to take me there but being taken? Hmm… Not so sure about it… Also, he’s not very fond of surprises...”

“Damn… you really thought this through. The way you are, I was expecting you to not have thought of anything at all… I’m quite surprised myself”

Jake glared at the man sitting in front of him. “What the hell? Of course I have thought about everything very carefully! It’s not like he’s just anyone… And what do you mean by the way I am? I’m a very capable person, you know?”

“Yeah yeah, I know.” Michael was agreeing with his friend just to stop any further arguments. However, deep inside he knew he was right. “So… there’s nothing more that he likes?”

“Oh, there are many things that he likes! It’s just that they are not things I can give him… it’s complicated… Especially since he was such a long time away for business… He must miss his family and friends… So I also thought of a party together with everyone but… wouldn’t that be a gift from everyone? I think that in the end it wouldn’t be something especially from me…” Jake grabbed the napkin and crushed it between his hands “I’m such a selfish person!! I bet spending his birthday night with me is just the worst!!”

Out of the blue, Michael gently punched Jake’s head. “Get your act together! What are you thinking all by yourself? Maybe instead of concluding what other people’s feelings are, you should just trust them when they say they enjoy your company.” To end his reasoning he winked at the blushing man in front of him. “Trust him that he cares for you. Otherwise, why would he want to be with you first than anyone else, right after arriving here?”

“I guess you are right… Still… because I miss him so much and because he’s making such effort to be with me, I wanted to give him something really special… But... I’m out of ideas… What can I do? How can I make him happy?“

Michael, looking at the dejected Jake, took a deep breath and seriously thought of a way to help his friend. They knew each other for a very long time and so far no one could mess with his worried friend pace as hard as that person did. It was actually quite amazing to see how Jake’s expression would change based on that man’s words and acts. Michael couldn’t help but wonder if he would ever be so lucky to find such person, so loving and devoted to him. While on his thoughts, an idea came to him.

“That’s it!! Why not give him yourself?!”

Jake didn’t even have the energy to glare or laugh. He just sat there, looking at the man in a suit, with an expressionless face. “I seriously hope, for your own good, that you are not talking about naked apron or body sushi…”

“Well… now that you are talking about it…”

“I’ll kick your ass the moment we get out of here, I swear!!”

Michael started laughing after seeing the other man all fired up. “Take it easy. I was just kidding. I didn’t mean anything erotic like that. That part is up to you both…” he was still smirking, finding Jake red cheeks extremely amusing.

“Shut up!”

“Anyway, what I meant was not give yourself in a physical way, but in an emotional way, I guess… Just like… what does he mean to you?”

For a moment Jake did not talk. He was surprised at the sudden question. It’s not that he didn’t know what he meant to him, but that he didn’t know how to explain it. If it was so easy to express it, he would have probably done it by buying some pretty gift.

“Well… he means everything. He’s the person I trust the most and the one I know for sure that will support me. Oh! But he also scolds me at times… but well, it’s only when I’m in the wrong… Also, no matter how much of an asshole I am, he’ll always forgive me and listen to my problems. Even when I’m being completely dramatic and over reacting about any type of issue, he’ll listen to my complains, calm me down and give me great advices. He always works hard on helping me. Isn’t he just the greatest? Actually, if there was an award for the most special person, he would win it without any doubt. And I know… I know… It’s stupid and childish and whatever, but it’s the truth. No matter the situation or the time, he’s always the first one to appear in my mind.”

“So, all you have to do is tell him that.”

“What?” Jake was now almost chocked with those words coming from Michael’s mouth.

“You were separated for a very long time. As you miss him, he must also miss you. Actually, even though the plane arrives today and he’ll feel tired as hell, he asked you to meet tonight. Don’t you think that just shows how much he wants to see you?”

“I… I guess…”

“Also, what could be better than arriving home and have someone special waiting for you, with dinner or cake or whatever, saying welcome home? For me, that’s the finest gift…”

“Just that? Just like that? But… what’s special about it? Isn’t that what happens every day? I mean, saying hello, night night and sweet dreams… That’s what happens always! I wanted something different…something special…”

“That’s true. But aren’t you happy when you say those small things? Aren’t you happy just being together and talking together?”

“Well… yes…”

“Then what could be more perfect than being happy in your birthday? I bet he thinks like that as well. Instead of a very expensive gift, seeing you and hearing you, would be the best thing you could give him in the end.” Michael smiled so gently that Jake almost felt embarrassed for him.

For a while, neither one of them talked. The background noise of other people talking, arguing and laughing seemed now very loud. Even though it was such a calm coffee place, the silence was not anywhere to be heard.

Finally, after thinking about it carefully, Jake decided what he would do.

“I still want to buy him something after all. I guess I’ll just go buy some ingredients to make his favorite food.”

“Oh. What meal might it be? If you need help picking up the ingredients…”

“Well… That’s a secret!” Jake threw his tongue out, in a way to tease the man wearing the suit. “I’ll go get the ingredients myself. I can’t let you know everything about him…” He then winked.

Michael smiled, happy to see his friend with such cheerful expression. “Anyway, I think that’s a good idea. All you have to do is wish him a happy birthday with all your care and love.”

“Yeah… That’s what I’ll do.” Jake was excited just with the thought of making something that would make his special person smile and relax after such busy trip.

The table was all set. The food had just been made and it was still very hot, noticeable from the flowing steam disappearing in the air. Jake was sitting in the sofa, watching some random TV shows, just to kill some time until the front door lock made any click.

When that time came, Jake suddenly got up and stood in front of the dining table. He was smiling with all his might, so happy to finally see him.

A man in a suit enters the room. As always he took his necktie and threw it into the sofa. A big smile lighted his tired face.

“Welcome home. I missed you. Happy birthday!” Jake smiled and headed towards the man standing in the room, hoping that all his love would be able to reach the heart of that tired person.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shirotsuki

• Matti_19

• Miro

• yaoifangirl

“I seriously hope, for your own good, that you are not talking about naked apron or body sushi…”

foxy4

This sentence made my day.

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.

It was a relaxing story, and the ending was sweet. :hamtaro-005 (8):

The irish coffe part made laugh really hard.

It was a sweet story, and Jake was right, offering himself as a gift, is the best gift, better than anything expensive or bought. :D

PS: I'm curious what TV show was Jake watching while waiting for the guy. :p

i wonder what he was watching... i hadn't thought about it until now! xD hmm... any ideas? :p

I don't know, maybe a show like Shameless, or an anime series like Attack on Titan? :D

ahahaah probably :p

but if he was watching shameless, then he was definitely trying to have some ideas for the after dinner exercise... xD