s-ai - White Violet

Seija

Hello \o/ !

This story is based a lot on the flowers' meaning. White violet can signify "Let's take on happiness !" and the others flowers are all used to convey love feelings.

I'm trying my best to write correctly, but there are still a lot of grammar mistakes. I hope it will be okay ^^'. Any critic and comment are welcome : ) ! The most important for me is to improve myself.

And sorry, I didn't the prefix for shonen-ai ^^'.

Summary : Two men exchange daily messages via their letter boxes. What will happen when an unexpected event shakes their lifes ?

——————————————

The unusual, yet daily, correspondence begun 7 months ago. A small message was stuck under the red ribbon of a sweets' box. The writing looked clear and elegant, giving off a sophisticated vibe from the new neighbor.

Nice to meet you, I'm the new neighbor living the floor above your flat. Excuse-me for any inconvience. ― Suzuki Kaede.

Almost in hurry, Ren's pen run on the blank side of a visit card.

Nice to meet you too and thank you very much for the sweets. If you need any help, feel free to ask. ― Kagome Ren

You are very kind. Ah, I wanted to tell you, I'm throwing a party friday evening, so it might be a little noisy. ― Kaede

No problem, but you should be more careful of the landlord than me. He easily throws a tantrum. ― Ren

Thanks to your advice, I went to tell him and gave him some details about the party. He didn't look pleased but didn't object either. I got some wagashi to thank you. ― Kaede.

Oh, there were all my favorite but, you didn't have to, you know ! ― Ren

A new message appeared every day in the mailbox. While Ren usually answered in the evening, Kaede replied in the early morning. Sometimes they scribbled on the same paper for a week until they were no place left. The one receiving the last reply was the one keeping the whole exchange.

It was easy and fun. It was like something two high-schoolers could do, chatting about daily life, random things or looking for advices. This small talk became a part of Ren's life. So much, he couldn't imagine his day without it. As he brisked away from his flat, a cheerful feeling run through his veins.

At the flower shop where he worked, his colleagues slowly became suspicious. Months ticked away and his usual downcast look changed for a brighter one. They all bet something had happened, but the florist was quite secretive. And quite smart. When someone asked him about his private life, he was an expert to slip away, skilfully changing the topic. However always fighting back the curiousity or preventing vicious traps were really hard.

Like this evening. Perfect failure, the man thought while picking his beer mug, the ice cubes clinking in the golden beverage. All the staff of the shop gathered at a restaurant and before realizing it, he was dragged in. Social meetings weren't his thing, but he was trying to get along and stopping to distance himself so much, at least, of his colleagues. His old friends always nagged him about his recluse lifestyle, however the thirty-year-old florist had his own reasons to keep people at bay. Life was a road made of bumps, mostly curvy and sometimes straight lines. Ren had his share of bad adventures and didn't want to experience some things again.

A young woman, in his twenty, tossed her hair back then looked at him. “Ueada-san told us you are taking floral arrangement courses, could you help advise me a good one ?”

Ueda talked to much, but those words didn't slip.

“If you want. I know various teachers now, so depending what you are looking for I could advise this place or another,” he kindly stated.

She offered him a broad smile and Ren decided the slight redness/blush coloring the damsel's cheeks indicated she was a light drinker.

“Hey, hey let me join the discussion too !” Yuuta almost screamed while exchanging forcefully place with another man. “I want to go to this kind of class. Girls love romantic guys ! And there's nothing more romantic than flowers.”

“Girls love romantic guys who don't always have an ulterior motive.” corrected another young woman. She smirked after shooting down the comment. Yuuta shrugged deciding the timing was perfect to drop his bomb.

“Nawabe-san, I'm curious but what kind of girl do you like ?”

Silence fell upon the table. All the women darted at him and made him quite uneasy. He wasn't even interested in women but he didn't intend to tell the truth as well.

“My ideal woman, hm,” Ren lowered his eyes. “Caring, polite but funny too, with various interests, the kind of person who can be your bestfriend and your life partner.”

Deep down, he was conscious Kaede inspired him the first part. The rest was an ideal he stopped looking for.

“Grown-up men are really different.” Saeki said while defying Yuuta.

“Well, a man can change if he finds the right girl.” Ren said then took a quick glance at his watch. “I'm going home. Someone is waiting for me.”

“Hehe, your perfect girlfriend ?” Masato tried.

Ren cracked a cryptic smile.

“Well, something like that.”

The man took his belongings, paid off his bill and stepped out the shop. A pleasant fresh breeze cooled him down. His fingers run towards his nape slowly massaging it. It was a long day. But the exciting part was coming. Putting his hands in his pockets, he dashed to his place. His eyes wandered over the crowded streets. The city lights looked like a million of multicolour fake stars under a deep black sky where the moon barely shone.

At some point, the shape of the living complex appeared in the darkness. As his feet reached out the entrance, Ren took a pen and a card from his bag.

I really like the band you listened to yesterday evening. I think it was the first time I heard their songs. You really have various tastes ! ― Ren

Grinning at himself, he put the message in the correct letter box. His body moved towards the stairs and swiftly climbed up to his flat. When he arrived in front of his door, an agonizing shriek rung out.

“I'm here, Kyouki ! I'm here !”

Ren kept repeating those words while opening. Once he set a foot in the flat, a white and black fur cat welcomed him happily, rubbing his body against his legs.

“I'm sorry, I had some business to attend to,” he tenderly murmured.

He gently patted his pet then headed towards the kitchen. A sudden glimpse at a white plate with small blue flowers painted on the edge made him realize, his little companion was displaying his affection for one purpose.

“You are a little dev ―”

A loud noise interrupted him. A rowdy cheering was coming from the flat above his. The man tended his ear. Manly voices cheerfully repeated a name. Maybe a player name. At their lively comments, Ren supposed they were watching a baseball game. So Kaede wasn't alone.

Mixed feelings clunched his heart, but he simmered down. An expeditious shower, his blanket and his uneasiness would disappear in no time. After all, tomorrow was practically a day off.

Casual clothes covering his body and a toast on his mouth, Ren waltzed in the hallway, greeted an old neighbour and hastily went to check his mail.

Oh, that's UNCHAIN ! They are pretty good, right ? I could lend you the album, if you want ! (Sorry, the guys were loud even if I told them to shut up... ) ― Kaede

His legs suddenly stopped moving back. It was the perfect chance to meet. The excuse he was waiting for but didn't have the courage to create. His brain reviewed this opportunity and some questions popped ut. Wif his neighbor was disappointed in him ? What if he pictured him as a girl ? What if Kaede was in reality a girl, not a guy like he thought ? A pretty boyish one with a lot of male friends. After all, some girls were getting along better with men than with their counterparts.

Shaking his head like to sort out his feelings, he decided it wasn't the moment to think about it. Then Ren came by to his place and hurried to his floral class scheduled in the morning.

“Ah, that hurts so much...” a young voice muttered.

Breathing was slowly being hard. As his eyes couldn't focus on the metallic ceiling, his conscience was drifting away. He wanted to close his eyes but yet was afraid he would never open them again.

His left hand clinged to his tee-shirt stained by a deep red. The bleeding wasn't stopping and he was still stunned to have found his way here. If only his body had moved further.

His lips let out an aggrieved sigh and his eyelids lowered.

I'm sorry.

“Hey you ! What are you doing in front of my door ?” Ren shouted before his voice switched to a panicked one. “Wait ! You are bleeding ! What should I do ? Yeah, I should call an ambulance a-a-and I should move you. Ah but I could make things worse.”

You're a strange guy, Ren.

The young man thinly smiled before passing out.

Few hours later, a warm feeling embraced his body. As he tried to move, something trampled his legs and his belly.

“Kyouki, come here.” Ren angrily whispered.

His hands took off the cat who let immediately know her disagreement.

“Kyouki, uh...”

Ren turned hastily towards the bed.

“I'm sorry, she woke up you...” The owner sat down on the couch. “How are you feeling ?”

“Better and... alive, I guess ?” The younger one chuckled then grimaced. “What happened ?”

“Since I was so lost, I phoned a friend of mine. He's a doctor and it was his day off, so he rushed here.” Ren paused. “The stabbing wasn't life threatening so he suggested you rest today and go to an hospital tomorrow.”

“I see... I'm sorry to depend on you, Ren...”

At his name, his eyes widened.

“How do you... know my name ?”

No answer. Suddenly the hurt man narrowed his eyes. A mischievous smirked showed up on his face.

“Well, I know a lot of things. After all, we are talking since a long time...”

Since a long time ? There was a misunderstanding. He looked like 8 or even 10 years younger than him. What's more, Ren was pretty sure to not know someone with this rough look.

A hummed melody pierced the overwhelming confusion. His mind connected the familiar song and the performer. Seeing the real thing let him speechless.

With his short black hair shaved at the sides, his metallic earring at his right ear, his juvenile look and a scar on his chin, he had this bad boy aura. Obviously not the image Ren expected if the new encounter was really the person occupying his thoughts.

“Kaede ?”

“Ah ah, I suppose my name doesn't suit me, right ? It sounds so girly... But you know, I'm happy. I wanted to meet you for a long time, but as I'm hanging with the bad crowd, I just chicken out.”

An embarrassed laughter ended the phrase.

Ren slightly blushed. After all, he was feeling the same. He just wanted to speach with the person who made him smile, laugh or just fuzzy inside with simple words and gestures.

“Nawabe-san,” Kaede's eyes met his. “I... guess, I like you. Well a bit more like to be correct.”

Blood flushed on Ren's face. Bright red, mouth opened, he just froze unable to straighten his thought. After some seconds, he managed to come back to earth.

“But.. I-I'm into ― ”

“Guys, I know.” Kaede cooly said before biting his lips. “To be honest, I saw you fighting with your ex in April...”

The memory of this day made the man quite uneasy. Yelling, crying, all his bad sides had shown for the worst. But the following morning, a little gift had been put in front of his door with a message of Kaede. As if a guardian angel was cheering on him. As if someone was deeply caring for him. Despite their age difference, his cheeks stayed red whereas Kaede looked collected. It was frustrating to be swept away by a simple confession.

Suddenly, a hand grabbed his left arm. Kaede dragged him against his torso and hugged him, his face hidden against his hair.

“You-you shouldn't ! You're hurt !” Ren protested.

“I'm fine !” The young man shouted. “I'm fine.”

Ren closed his eyes. His heart pounded, ready to explode. However, an hidden fear disrupted the rising happiness.

Now or never, it was the moment to take some distance and put logic in Kaede's head.

“You're confused.” Ren firmly stated.

“So will you take the responsability for that ?”

Kaede grinned and loosened his embrace. His fingers run on the man's face, slowly caressed his chin with a tender look litting his pupils. His thumb quietly pressed against Ren's lips. The man averted his gaze too troubled. Maybe he could try one more tine. Maybe he hadn't found the right person.

Unable to support more his heart melting, the florist spoke. One word leaded another and they spent the rest of the day, talking together, even if the hands of Kaede couldn't resist to touch him.

The following morning, Kaede left for the hospital.

One day passed. A week ended. No phone call. No news. Worried by this abrupt silence, Ren checked on Kaede's flat, but no one opened. Seeing him in disarray in front of the door, the landlord told him the man living here had moved 3 days ago. His lips quivered at the revelation.

Maybe, everything was a dream. A warm and beautiful one reduced in pieces by an harsh reality. He was a fool to have hoped for something. He was a fool to believe Lady Luck had still something for him.

A month later, a delivery man came to the shop greeting happily the staff members. A frivolous basket composed of white crocus, windflower and forget-me-not cluttered up his arms. While the florists exchanged a curious stare, the man spoke up.

“I have something for Nawabe Ren.”

Ren blinked and stayed at his place before walking. He signed the receipt then quickly found a little note among the flowers. Hiding his face with a hand, the man dashed to the staff room. With the flowers' meaning and Ren's words, his fear and sadness dissipated letting an urge to cry.

I'll come back soon at your place. I have a ton of things to tell you... And I miss you. ― Kaede

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Seija

• yaoifangirl

• Karin

Aw thank you very much

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.
:D !

I'm thinking of switching to Kaede's POV for his next appearance \ô/

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.

This is sooooooooo good! I just ended reading the 1st ch. I love everything from the age difference to their personalities! This is perfect! :Red_fox7: Please update soon! I know you asked Karin, but I'll answer that. I'd love reading Kaede's POV as well!