Breaking stones

KoBu

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.
=

=

Kazimere; aged 24, a Mage but has not been given his full title. Tends to keep a stone faced expression at all times due to an incident when he was younger.

"If it must be done, it must be done. There's no reason for tears and screaming..." A young sorcerer states bluntly. His parents turn to him, staring wide eyed as moments ago they had stood and began shouting in outrage. "Our villages have been at each other's throats for generations. If a marriage is what the people want, then give it to them so we may start a new friendlier generation in the future..."

His mother looked at him, her face twisted with worry. "Kazimere .... Are you sure you want to go through with this?" Her boy has already suffered and sacrificed his being, she begged the gods above he would change his mind.

Kazimere looks to his mother, his face set in stone, unexpressive. "Yes. It's just a political marriage, nothing more." He answers simply, monotone.

Across the long, wide table, kazimere glances at his groom to be.  A Lacertia... Lizardman. Intelligent and cunning, Lacertia have proven to be fearsome foes. But like his own people Kazimere knew they grew weary from constant battle and turmoil. They had dwindled in numbers in recent years. Hence the call for a sort of truce.

The chief of the tribe stepped forward presenting his own son.

"Sir Rocoss, Lady Diama, may I present my son, Maldoc." The young Lacertia bows before taking his seat beside his father. Rocoss, Kazimere's own father stands, offering a bow in return even if it is merely a show of politeness. "Good to meet you, young Maldoc..." Kazimere side eyes his father. The man is curt and short, but his tone stays even and calm. Maldoc nods, the movement jittery. He's nervous... Kazimere thinks as he watches the interactions.

"If I may speak, Sir Rocoss...?" The younger lizardman asks softly. Rocoss raises a brow but nods. Maldoc looks to Kazimere before standing, crossing the length of the table, kneeling before the young mage and taking his hands into his much large scaled ones. "I promise you before our elders, though this marriage is arranged, I will do everything I can to make it as comfortable and protect you everyday of my life!" Maldoc spoke with such determination and conviction. Kazimere, as stone faced as ever, gently took his hand back to pat the top of his groom to be's knuckles. "Thank you for your dedication. All I may offer is the same in return......" The mage thought he heard the smallest in take of breath and .... Are his eyes shimmering? Is he crying? ...Odd.

Days passed into months and before the start of winter later that year, Kazimere and Maldoc were wed. During that time, Maldoc had tried to properly court Kazimere, as was custom in his culture. And each Kazimere told him he needn't waste his energy and resources as they both knew this was a marriage of convience. Kazimere didn't intend insult, but he didn't wish to make Maldoc feel as though he need to treat his bride groom as his actual bride.

"You'll be free to persue other partners in our marriage. As I've told you before,  I understand this is to unite our people and I assume you'll want an heir to your throne, as will your own father. So save your courting gifts for whom you truly wish to court."

Kazi never understood why Maldoc was so shocked at the start. But after a few more times explaining the same thing, Maldoc would smile somberly at him and shake his head "I don't have anyone I wish to court right now."

The ceremony and feast after the wedding went oddly well if Kazimere said so himself. He expected tension from his own people, but after a few servings and plenty of mead, everyone seemed to relax and rejoice on the union.

Maldoc at some pointed had pulled Kazi away from the room. He knew what Maldoc was wanting.

Lizardmen are surprisingly generous lovers, if a little rough when performing. Kazi had prepared for that though. Formulation of a potion to keep his emotions in check while letting Maldoc experience a wonderful wedding night.

It would be spring when Kazimere announced he would be leaving for an extended period.

"What do you mean? I thought you were already a fully fledged Mage when we wed!" Maldoc exclaimed. "By the definition of the word, I am.... But I won't be fully recognized as one by my own people and others if I do not pass a trail set by others before me.... And live to tell the tale...." He explains to his distraught husband. The lizardman seems taken aback "and LIVE?! What does that mean?!?!" Maldoc asks, his voice rising. Kazimere looks at his husband with a brow raised. "A mage has to study for years to master the circles of magic. Most work with one to three circles, a smaller group can master four to six. Then there's those like me that have mastered all eight. But since I haven't passed my trial to prove I have the mastery and skill, I can never be recognized properly as a full Mage. It's why you have some mages who are white mages, grey mages, or dark mages.... They have one path they have followed but haven't passed a trial to wield other types. The trials are meant to test every part of your fortitude and mastery. If you fail, no matter how far you've come, you will die because no one can hold all the power those eight circles grant you." The Mage explains, his husband looking horrified. A meeting the next day with his father and Kazimere's own parents confirm this and harm home just how different their cultures are. Maldoc begs that Kazimere not do this. To just choose one path of magic or just not continue on! His tribe recognize Kazimere's powers and respect it immensely. His parents looked plenty insulted for all of them when his husband had suggested such a thing! "This is the highest possible honour Kazimere can earn! To merely abandon it would sully our village and our family name! Not to mention your own by association!!" Tok, one of Kazimere's younger twin brothers, shouted in outrage. It would be hours of arguing, deliberation, and finally acceptance. Kazimere had never known a lizardman could look so defeated and heartbroken. "If you have any faith in me, you wouldn't be looking so somber, husband. Do not mourn my death before it's been written in stone...." He states in some form of hope and comfort. Kazimere knew it was most likely he would die by the end of his trail... But he decided to let Maldoc have a sliver of hope so as to not upset their shakey arrangement.

The morning he was set to leave, Maldoc met him at the gates.

"I'd plead with you again to not leave but safe to assume you're set and bound already...?"

"You'd be correct. As I've offered time and again you're free to seek other partners and bedmates. I won't hold it over you"

A snort from the lizardman, "And just the same, I will remain true to my union to you... Can I leave you a parting gift, as a promise you'll come back to me?"

Kazimere nods, if only to make the news of my death less heavy when you grieve

He holds out his hand to take the gift, only to be surprised when he hears a click and the cold bite of metal around his wrist.

"I've.... I'd intended this to be your wedding band but I hadn't finished in time and I tried to add more jewels to make up for it.... I tried to make it match the beads strung in your hair..." Maldoc explained has he ran his fingers through Kazimere's bright red hair. "Your mother told me your hair changes colors when you're feeling strong emotions .... I've never seen it another color than this though..."

"Because emotions have devasting effects...."

Those were the last words Kazimere spoke to Maldoc before he left....

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KoBu

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days