Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Credits
    Rei Inventory
    White Day - Mocchiri Oyaji Art Sebastian Tatsumi Souichi Frau

California orders gay history in school textbooks

i've just read this on msnbc.com and thought I should share

California orders gay history in school textbooks
    Because of budget woes, it could take several years for the material to show up

SAN FRANCISCO - California became the first U.S. state to require that public school textbooks include the accomplishments of gay, lesbian and transgender Americans as Governor Jerry Brown signed the mandate into law.

"History should be honest," said Brown in a written statement.

The measure won final passage from the state legislature earlier this month when it passed on a 49-25 party-line vote, with Democrats in favor and Republicans opposed.

"This bill revises existing laws that prohibit discrimination in education and ensures that the important contributions of Americans from all backgrounds and walks of life are included in our history books," Brown said. "It represents an important step forward for our state.

The law also requires that public schools teach about the contributions of Pacific Islanders and the disabled.

California already mandates that schools include historical accomplishments by Native Americans, African Americans, Mexican Americans, Asian Americans and European Americans.

Republicans who opposed the legislation argued that it would write an agenda into school textbooks.

'Sexually brainwashed'
    Randy Thomasson, president of the conservative SaveCalifornia.com, said Brown had "trampled the parental rights of the broad majority of California mothers and fathers who don't want their children to be sexually brainwashed."

"The only way parents can opt-out their kids from this immoral indoctrination is to opt them out of the entire public school system, which is no longer for morally sensitive parents and their children," Thomasson said.

It could still be several years before California students start reading about gay accomplishments in their textbooks.

The state's Department of Education has said that, because of the state's budget woes, new textbooks will probably not be adopted until 2015.

The bill was supported by gay rights organizations including Equality California and the Gay-Straight Alliance Network. Teacher groups also said the bill would help students prepare for a diverse and evolving society.

"There is no room for discrimination of any kind in our classrooms, our communities or our state," said Dean Vogel, president of the California Teachers Association.

Reuters and The Associated Press contributed to this report

Credits
    Macys Inventory
    Shuui YO Host 2017 YO Host 2016 Hyou
    That's great! I'm very happy that finally people start to think about the rights of gay people. This should happen in many states, not just in California, but at least it's a start :hamtaro-005 (6):

Position
    Secret
    Credits
    Belita Inventory
    Birthday Cake Birthday Cake Cocktail Gii x Takumi
    That's great! I'm very happy that finally people start to think about the rights of gay people. This should happen in many states, not just in California, but at least it's a start
    So true Macys... Portugal has already conceded many rights to gay, but still not enough...

Hope it get's even more equal here as well

I want to be optimistic, but i just can't help but think that this will be repealed eventually. And i like that some republicans have so little faith in their kids that they think they can be "converted" so easily

Credits
    Aki Inventory
    Kuroto Hourai Gunji Superbi Squalo Yukina Kou
    I agree with you guys! Gay people should have more rights! No just in California, but anywhere in this world. :hamtaro-005 (6):

Credits
    Lulu-kun Inventory
    Masamune Takano Shindou Shuichi Ritsu Onodera Valdrigr Alsvieth

it was like this in my country (gay-parade). for me, it's really shameful to live in serbia

on the day of gay-parade, my father was working (and he's a policeman). my family and i, we were watching tv all the time. it was really nerv-wracking. one police officer actally got famous because he said 'ne diraj mi beograd' witch means 'don't touch my belgrade'. fortunatly, my father was alright, but i'm still very sad about gay rights in my country

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu-kun View Post

it was like this in my country (gay-parade). for me, it's really shameful to live in serbia

on the day of gay-parade, my father was working (and he's a policeman). my family and i, we were watching tv all the time. it was really nerv-wracking. one police officer actally got famous because he said 'ne diraj mi beograd' witch means 'don't touch my belgrade'. fortunatly, my father was alright, but i'm still very sad about gay rights in my country
    I'm sorry that happened, thankfully your father is alrigth though

Credits
    mixlol Inventory

Oya! awsome, finaly the people starts to understand.. hope gays will beث respected all over the world.

FujoshiFTW
    Wow, I never knew that California (and perhaps America in a whole) held such discrimination towards people 'who aren't straight'. Finally they can respect each other equally. I really am happy hearing this news. Just wondering when it will go around to the rest of the world...

Ultimate Yaoi Expert shirotsuki's Avatar
    Position
    Secret
    Credits
    shirotsuki Inventory
    Ice Cream Atsushi Murasakibara Kare no Tokubetsu Strawberry Cake
    i'm so glad that they are starting to respect gay people more! They are people like all of the other and they have the right to date whom ever they want! Thanks for posting the news!! ^^

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Yaoi Manga, KPop Profiles