Intro to Photoshop Basics Part II (Continuation III)

E.r.o.s

Basic Part II Continuation III (LAYERS)

Now that you guys know about all these types of layers, there are three more things I want you guys to know about. These are Blending Modes, Merging layers options, and clipping masks.

MERGING LAYERS OPTIONS

This is used to merge down one layer with another, so that they become one layer. There is the visible merging option and the merge down option. The visible merging option will simply merge down all the layers that are visible (the ones that have the "eye symbol". If you want to merge down two or more specific layers, then you would either hide the other layers or use the merge down option. The merge down option would merge one layer with the one under it. There is also the option of "flatten image", what this does is, simply merge everything down. You will use either of these option by right clicking on the layer you want to merge down, then choose the option you want. Like this:

ScreenShot2014-09-20at71536PM_zpsd7a195cd.png

You could also access it through the layer tab. Click on layers > then on the merging option you want.

ScreenShot2014-09-20at71753PM_zps4d1029b5.png

CLIPPING MASKS & BLENDING MODES

Clipping Mask will allow your image to take the shape of the figure shown on the layer bellow. Let me show with a visual.

I'll use the same circle as last time.

ScreenShot2014-09-20at61209PM_zps5fc6383e.png

Now we will open an image and drag it to form a new layer.

ScreenShot2014-09-20at72640PM_zps94516dba.png

Now we will clip the image to the circle. We do this by right clicking the image and then "create clipping mask". Now our image has taken the shape of the circle.

ScreenShot2014-09-20at72750PM_zps6ce5daa7.png

ScreenShot2014-09-20at72823PM_zps6719189e.png

You will notice that if you have any visible "Layer Style" on the layer you are clipping the image to, then the clipping mask won't have any effect. This is the reason why you use "fill layers" instead of "layer styles" when doing this.

BLENDING MODES

These are used to blend images or figures so that they don't look out of place. You can blend image to take the color of a certain gradient. Watch this video so that you understand what I mean.

Credits to creator of video: Guru99

This is all for part two of photoshop basics, hope you guys learned something :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• E.r.o.s

• MisuChan

Top Posters In This Topic

i cant get the cliping mask to work -_-"

in the beginning

so i used layermask instead

* feels abit noobish*

but i finnaly got it right!!!

i love the tutorials you do most tings i can get to work

( after a while sometimes XP) ^-^

so ty for making them!!

• 3 weeks later...

YaoiOtaku is a friendly community that has a lot to offer when it comes to everything yaoi - manga series, DJs, oneshots, anime, yaoi RPs and plenty of BL discussion topics.

Make sure to also check:

Yaoi Manga

KPop Profiles

Yaoi Dj

Manga Lotus