In what age did you first discover yaoi and how?

TheElfGoddess

Well, for me, I discovered yaoi when I was browsing Harry Potter fanarts on deviantART back when I was 11. I was obsessed with HP that time though and I'm still pretty innocent (although I admit, I came across a hentai dress up game back when I was 10 and when I heard a moan from the game, it made me jump and my heart started beating fast. Really). Anyway, while browsing, I saw an artist whose drawings I admired so much. However, she also liked yaoi and one of her folders in her account has the word titled on it. I don't know what yaoi is and I thought it was just some name the artist just typed. But they were everywhere! So I was tempted to look it up on Wikipedia through Google. There I saw that Yaoi was some sort of two boys who loved each other but I still don't get it. However, because of my curiosity, I also clicked a link on that article that bears the word "HENTAI". Well, after that, pretty much I started viewing hentai in Google Images when no one's looking. For Yaoi, I don't know how did I get into it. Probably it just came through while browsing on Google and deviantART.

So, what's your story?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shinigamichan

• Shunpei x Fumi

• TheElfGoddess

• reotsune

I discovered yaoi when I was in 4th grade, age of 10... I was browsing for some manga and then I encountered a manga called Kawaii Akuma... At first I was disgusted, the art wasn't my taste but I still continued reading it till the end. I checked out the genre after and I still didn't understand what is wrong with the manga, or rather why was it odd than the others...

After a few days, I didn't know why but I started searching using the keywords "Boy's love", I have those kind of cravings which I wanted to read more... I myself felt that I was becoming weird by the minute. I was never an outgoing kid so I stayed home reading manga, play games and watch anime...then secretly search for boy's love manga.

Then I did some shopping with my sis, I gone to a DVD shop and browsed on the anime section... Then I found an anime DVD that has an odd cover, where two guys were hugging... It was Sekaiichi Hatsukoi. I felt the extreme urge to buy it, but since my sis was with me that time... I ignored it. But then after getting home, I had the crave to buy it. So after a few weeks, I spent my week's allowance on that one DVD.

Then, ever since then, I kept rewatching sekaiichi hatsukoi with locked doors and a blushing face. I thought they were both really cute... So then I kept browsing the net for more, I found out the genre for boy's love is 'shounen ai' and 'yaoi'...

That's how I first become attached to that genre and still secretly hides my interests from anyone in real life.

uhmm.. that's all~ :cuteonion9:

I discovered it in sixth grade. I had just downloaded a manga app so I could read manga like ranma 1/2 and looked at the different genres when I found words I had never heard of before like shounen ai or yaoi or yuri. So I randomly picked the section yaoi and decided to read it. The app I used didn't organize things by popularity so I read a very obscure but definitely very graphic super muscular uke and seme one where the uke was this 50 year old gym teacher that was trained as a sex slave when he was young. Definitely was an eye opener. I'm definitely not into that type of yaoi but I guess it was so disturbing and shocking that I couldn't look away and wanted to know more since I'm the type of person that adores horrible music videos because they are so so bad.

Thank god I gave yaoi a second chance because now I read it for hours every day. I even reread the disturbing one from before and lets just say that it wasnt because I was so young that I found it so disturbing

I think I started getting into yaoi when I was 15. I was in the library and I was looking for a new manga to read. As I was browsing through the shelves I saw this peculiar title called 'Fake'. The cover and the synopsis on the back gave subtle hints that it was a shonen-ai but bc I didn't know shonen-ai at the time, I didn't put two and two together. As soon as I started reading, I slowly began to realise that the two characters they mentioned having been attracted to each other in the synopsis were, in fact, the two guys on the cover (and not one of the guys on the cover and another girl they have yet to show). I was intrigued at this point and when the kissing scene arrived, I was instantly hooked. I just had to see more. I borrowed the volumes that were available there and then I eventually bought the boxset itself (thank you Borders!!). After re-reading it like crazy, I started looking for more titles and to see if they actually adapted any yaoi manga into anime. There were more and yes, they did do anime adaptations and now here I am talking about how I got into yaoi in a yaoi forum :)

And I am very happy to have found yaoi in the first place...