EmbracingAnime

A Failed Possession

A story about a ghost with unfinished business and a boy he failed to possess.

Ongoing/In Progress

Genre:

Psychological; Tragedy; Supernatural; Romance; Yaoi

Trigger Warnings:

N/A (so far)

Author’s Note:

Lately, I’ve been thinking about adapting my stories (and possibly RPs with partners’ permissions/help?) into webcomics or RPGs/visual novels (anthology novel?~). I dunno~ I’ll see were this all takes me. It would be cool, if a game becomes popular and people see that it originated on YO. ^ v ^

There will be figurative language everywhere, so be wary of metaphors and symbolism. Everything has a reason! *fiery passion for literature in eyes* Anyway, please enjoy my story. Feel free to give me feedback through VMs, PMs, or posting in this thread. *bows humbly* U v U

〜(^∇^〜)♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥(〜^∇^)〜

Table of Contents

Prologue

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EmbracingAnime

• Saturn

• TatsumiTwi

Prologue

(This is not shota! I’m just providing some backstory. ^ ^””)

Hazy mirages wriggled in the distance. Parked cars and hot asphalt blurred together, in the sweltering heat. Cicadas chirped incessantly, their mating calls wearing the patience of anyone nearby. The peaking sun blazed down mercilessly, at high noon. Its blinding light penetrated even the thickest of canopies, illuminating the green veins within their leaves.

Summer was upon the rural town of Glassmeadow—a small community tucked into a coastal mountainside. With the exception of fast gossip that every countryside town entails, it was a quiet place. Almost everyone was involved in some kind of trade, whether it was fishing along the nearby coast or crafting furniture. However, such peaceful days were becoming few and far apart. With each passing year, Glassmeadow received an influx of migrating residents looking for a place to retire. Thus, larger businesses gained interest in the popular location, and buildings and shopping centers were erected.

“Hey, Tracy!” A small group of elementary students caught up to a shorter boy down the road. The group stooped down, catching their breath. Beads of sweat dotted their foreheads. Even their shirts were beginning to dampen. Surely, their school should’ve cancelled lessons for the day. The unforgiving temperatures were high enough to give one heatstroke. A boy in the group fanned himself, with a cursive workbook. Its flimsy pages offered little relief.

“I prefer ‘Trace’.” “Oh, sorry. Anyway, do you want to catch bugs with us, Tracy?” Whether it was intentional or not, the rambunctious group clearly snubbed Tracy Winters' request. Everyone sighed in relief, as the fleeting breeze of a passing car swept over them. “I have plans already,” Trace replied, not bothering to point out their discourtesy. He had grown accustom to being ignored. For a grade-schooler, his maturity on the matter was confounding.

“What plans could a grade-schooler possibly have,” they sneered, not taking the rejection very well. Trace shrank away, noting the irritation on their faces. He was well aware of his smaller stature. Alone, he wouldn’t stand a chance, if a fight broke out.

Before things escalated any further, a sudden presence descended upon them, without warning. “Hey, are these pipsqueaks bothering you, Trace?” The upper half of an older boy manifested in the space between them. The scenery came faintly through his pale, translucent body. A striped tie slipped out of his high school uniform. He glided towards the recoiling group of boys. Trace stared blankly at the apparition. His nonchalant reaction indicated that this was a normal occurrence for him. The same couldn’t be said for his petrified peers.

“It’s not fair ganging up on each other like that. It’s better, if it’s a one-on-one fight!” The ghost’s suggestion was answered with fearful silence. “Hey, you’re supposed to answer your elders, you disrespectful brats.” His relaxed expression darkened with graveness. The pattering of liquid against asphalt trickled through the tense silence. One of the boys had wet themselves, his shorts soaked with urine. They shuddered, the blood draining from their faces. The ghost lunged for them. “BOO!”

High-pitched shrieks echoed down the street, as Trace’s peers ran for their lives. Trace sighed. “Was that really necessary?” The ghost drifted fully into their dimension, his whole body now visible. He was laughing too hard to answer. Eventually, he caught his breath (as ironic as that was). “Did,” he snickered, through breaks in his laughter. “Did you see the look on their stupid faces?!” Trace glanced around, scanning for watchful eyes. He exhaled a sigh of relief. The street was deserted.

Leaving the mischievous spirit behind, Trace continued on home. However, abandoning the entity wasn’t that easy. The ghost followed after him. “I could’ve handled it myself,” Trace began, when the ghost returned to his side. “You must be joking! Look at you! There’s no way you could’ve gotten away without a scratch. I go out of my way to even the odds, and this is the thanks I get?” The dead boy shook his head, smirking. “Why are you so stubborn?” “Why are you so persistent?!” Trace punched him, but his fist fell through. The boy’s form dissipated into smoky wisps, before merging back together. Trace looked away, embarrassed that he forgotten something so simple—one cannot touch ghosts.

The boy chuckled, gliding down to the Trace’s level. “How stupid.” “Shut up!” “What’s wrong? Are you afraid I’m going to scare everyone away? That everyone will think you’re cursed? That no one will believe you?” He looked down at Trace, with a wicked grin. His eyes narrowed. “That you’ll end up all alone?” Trace stared back in silence for a while. His composure irked the ghost.

As the boy opened his mouth to sting him with another, vile remark, Trace spoke up. “You’re haunting me, because you’re lonely, right? You just want someone to notice you.” The ghost flinched back. Though he was colorless, his pale cheeks darkened, as though they could blush. He folded his arms over his chest, chuckling nervously. “Wh-What?! Have you lost your mind? Perhaps, I’ve already begun to possess you, and you’re losing your senses.” His lack of eye contact wasn’t very convincing.

Trace’s lips lifted into a small smile, confidence swelling inside him. “I won’t be lonely, because I’d still have you.” The ghost turned his back, hiding his flustered face. “I swear…the things you brats say,” he muttered, under his breath. “What? I couldn’t quite hear that,” Trace mocked. The boy spun around, parts of his body blurring from the swift motion. Grinning, he pointed down at Trace. “I’m going to make your life a living hell! And then, I’ll possess you, to finally carry out some unfinished business!”

Stifling a laugh, Trace turned on his heels and continued walking. “I’d like to see you try,” he challenged. The dead boy clicked his tongue in irritation. Being brushed off so easily injured his pride. Still, he smiled to himself, shaking his head. He teleported to Trace, when the distance between them became too big. “What are you smiling about?” “Nothing,” Trace said, “I was just thinking about how ridiculous your dramatic pose looked.”

(End Prologue)

Chapter One

Weak shafts of morning light trickled in, through the horizontal slits of window blinds. Specks of dust shimmered, as they passed through the rows of sunshine. Silence stilled the small bedroom, until a sudden voice disturbed the calm.

"Traaaaace!" Something shifted, beneath the blankets of a wide bed. "Wake up, Trace!" Emerging from the warm covers, a young male sat up reluctantly. Wild, black cowlicks curled out every which way. He tried flattening them down, but they sprung up again, untamed.

For a moment, he remained still, his obsidian eyes adjusting to the subtle brightness. "Trace." The young male turned, at the sound of his name. Sunken, empty eye sockets had been waiting for him. Their dark depths seemed to carry on forever, like doorways into a grim abyss. The face was gaunt and void of color. Its pale skin was so taut, it looked as though it would tear at any second. And it did. Stretched, pale flesh burst open. Not a drop of crimson spewed forth. Instead, scurrying clusters of thin lines poured out. They scattering everywhere, rippling the face with chaos. Upon closer inspection, Trace realized it was a swarm of spiders. Hundreds crawled into the face's parted lips. The ashen mouth grinned, revealing uneven rows of glistening teeth. A string of saliva bridged across the needle points.

Trace held his blank stare, unfazed. "You look ridiculous," he said bluntly. The floating head shook itself free of spiders. The tiny creatures flailed helplessly, as they vanished into hazy puffs. "After all these years, you still have yet to scare me." The head's blurring motion dissipated itself and reformed as a handsome face. Wispy tendrils trailed after the manifesting body. Trace waited impatiently for the ghost to fill out.

"Ah, shut up. I'll get you one of these days," the dead high schooler snapped. He licked his thumb and scratched a bloodstain on his striped tie. It disappeared instantly. With the casual salute of two fingers, he struck a pose in Trace's mirror. "Still lookin' good." His playful wink was one-sided. He knew his reflection would never show up, but admitting defeat would drive him to madness. He cherished what little humanity remained, even if it was all an illusion.

Trace walked through him, fanning the air as he did. "Hey! What's your problem?!" The dead student could only fume patiently, as he waited for his vaporous limbs to rejoin with his wavering body. "It's taxing enough, trying to pull my image into this reality! Remaking my image every time drains even more energy!" Trace tuned out the routine fuss, as he readied for school. He was surprised it hadn't grind down his nerves yet. "I'll disappear, at this rate!" "Well, good riddance," Trace sighed.

A sudden silence permeated the room. Moments passed, until Trace noticed the heavy air. Lifting his head, Trace scanned his room for the ghost. "Hey," he called out. No one answered. With the exception of a draft lifting his flimsy, window blinds, the room was still. He tried again. "Hey, did you find someone else to possess?" His voice held steady, despite the concern swelling behind his composure. He was completely at a lost. This never happened before. If anything, he never could catch a break, with the ghost around. Though, what was more unsettling than the sudden peace was the disappointment creeping into Trace's mind.

"No, I didn't find a new vessel," a familiar voice mumbled. Before Trace could mull over his feelings, the ghost had already returned. Trace shook his head, chuckling to himself. How could he let himself believe he'd be free of the attached spirit so easily? "Did you really mean that?" "Huh?" Trace tilted his head, confused. The dead student became flustered, being forced to spell things out. "You said 'Ahhh, good riddance!'" Trace laughed at the ghost's exaggerated shift in tone. "First of all, I don't sound like that. Second, you misunderstood. Again." The pale ghost blushed, cheeks warming with a darker grey. It was true. This wasn't the first time his perception twisted Trace's jokes and good intentions. "I was being sarcastic. Jeez, for someone who's always fooling around, you take everything I say so seriously." Trace grinned, with the success of his taunt. His dead stalker never failed to take the bait.

"I totally knew that! I was just testing you, to see if you were worthy of being my vessel." The ghost crossed his arms, laughing pompously. "If I'm worthy of you? It should be the other way around. You're the one that's in a desperate pinch. Are you even worthy of possessing me?" The ghost recoiled, as Trace inched closer. He squeezed his eyes shut, at the hand raised over him (bracing himself unnecessarily, despite his lifeless state). When nothing happened, he dared a peek. "Stupid," Trace said coolly, gently chopping the top of the ghost's head with his hand. Thin vapors unfurled from the ghost's transparent hair. He covered the indentation, until it filled again. Embarrassed, he struggled to hold eye contact. Trace found amusement in his averted expressions. "I'll get you for this," the ghost hissed, glaring up at the boy who he once towered over. "If you want to sound convincing, you're going to have to try harder than that."

(Chapter One to be Continued)

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.

I know, right? There's so many things you can do, and there are a whole different set of obstacles in the relationship and character development. I still need to think about how I'm going to incorporate physical stuff. I have a lot of brainstorming to do. T v T""

close ur eyes, animate em. they're always been alive there XD all u gotta do just watch em and be a witness

Thanks for the encouragement. I slept on it, and now I have a few ideas in mind. >:3 Please continue to support me. *bows* U v U

• 5 months later...