Oneshots? Opinions

squishie

Hi, everyone! I'm curious about your opinions on oneshot shounen ai & yaoi mangas!

Do you like them? Hate them? Do you avoid them?

Do you think they're too short to have proper character development?

What are your favorite oneshots? Which oneshots do you wish were continued?

Thanks!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Niya

• ruehime

• squishie

• cloudsilk

i can say i love them... specially when they have deep story

:3 i have dozens of oneshots that i like actually...:hamtaro-005 (5):

yubikui, tsuki no irobito

homura

black cat tunnel

koisuru no otokonoko

sawaraseteyo shibakun

sekai wo kimi de mawatteiru

sparkling days

ibitsu na kakera

and of course i really would love if those oneshots i listed to be continued :3 they have such great plots:hamtaro-005 (8):

I wouldn't say I love them, as I feel that they just seem to finish too fast, but there are some I love.

Ogawa Chise's Ibitsu na Kakera is one of my favorites rabbit8

Some don't have enough character development, but not all are like that.

The one thing I don't like is if the one shot is reallyyy good and it could definitely be a longer story but isn't:8onion74:

i read them , sometimes oneshots are great, sometimes they are long or at least 2 parts like some of NAONO Bohra’s works by the way they are great ^_

I find them great for a quick read, if your waiting for something or plan on going somewhere soon. I will often read one, to kill time in my lunch break ect, as when I have a longer manga or a novel with me I feel I have to put it down before I have even gotten back into it again. Where a one-shot I tend to have just enough time to drool all over it.

i like to read them when i have an exam period, since they are short and don't take too much time..but if they are good, i crave for more, which is a bad side of oneshots :/ i really wish some would get a contuniation!! T^T

• 3 weeks later...

I like 'em, they're good for a quick read, but sometimes they're so good you want the story to be longer.

• 3 weeks later...

I like a good oneshot. Even those that are cliffhangers or open ended are fine too as long as they are properly executed (in story, mostly).

I'm a (BL) comic artist myself and I started with a series.. but the publisher asked for oneshots next so I thought I'd have a hard time squeezing everything in such few pages. But you get to exercise your creativity to make each and every panel meaningful and it takes a lot to make a full story end beautifully. Thus, I've learned to appreciate more oneshots and not wail and demand so much about continuations. Then again, for the artist, if readers demand for continuation then that's a huge compliment. That's what happened with Takanaga Hinako's "Awkward Silence". It started off as a oneshot, became a hit, now it's climbing up to 5 volumes.

I guess the bottomline is, if we all learn to nag the artist and the publisher more then we can get those continuations. Bwa ha ha ha ha!

I read a lot of oneshots. Some are really amazing and I would love to see continued. Some are meh but generally I don't expect as much starting a oneshot as I would starting a series for obvious reasons. The most important thing in oneshots for me is art. If it doesn't have much of a plot you can just quickly drool over the artwork on a short break and continue with what you were previously doing. But as someone said if the story is brilliant it makes me sad that it ends so fast.

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.
I agree with you. I see so many artists on smack jeeves that make a comic/manga and they don't like how the plot turned out, the art, etc. even though so many people really like the series. I think artists should have more confident in their art cheetah4

I like them. Since most one shot I've read are fairly satisfying.

However, some feel like they should be longer, thus come the frustration. XD

• 2 weeks later...

I like katekyo! Dj-lemonade and things like that ya know oneshots based off of other mangas or animes but single oneshots are to short >.

The oneshots I would love to continue are kinbaku, kyuujitsu to satou, mob the jack 1 and 2. I read all my oneshots at my reading manga. I love them but wish they to continue

I don't mind them. I sometimes prefer them over an actual series, because I don't have to wait for a new chapter. *impatient when it comes to waiting for a new chapter* xDDD

• 4 weeks later...

I love them.. Sometimes I fell frustrated 'cause I want more.. But I have lots of favorites..

Kusata Rassen

Ibitsu na Kakera

Yurusareta Uta

Rinjin

Someday Dream

I read plenty of good ones I just couldn't recall the titles.

Most oneshots are great because they're short and sweet and I love reading them because they don't always drag on. Ogawa chise has created some of my favorite psychological oneshots.