Pretty Pervy Pirates

SqueezeBabe

Yes, i am for the frigate too. Just because we will have a lot more room to interact on the ship, since Pirates mostly stayed on their ships if they didn't raid or something.

And if we make the cook a full-flegded job on the ship then Ethan will take it but i am of course okay with a little flexibility. So i am okay with taking up other jobs now and then.

And names.....hm i am usually not really good in naming things. But of course there are tons of name generators out there and here are a few that i thought would be funny:

- The Peasant

- Unshaken

- Flying Dutchman (yeah i know unoriginal)

- Starry Mermaid

- North Star

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SqueezeBabe

• InkompleteWish

• ChibiMonkey

• ravenwyck

Oh rightright! Name's hmm, im not the best with names either, they end up being cheesy, or lame or something, but, as part of the crew, I will give my share of ideas haha

(The) Loch Ness

Phantom

Spirit

....thats all I got for now ^^'

Additional notes about running a pirate ship.

Pirate ships of the time were somewhat unique in sea-faring of the time in that they were democracies. While the Captain was in command at all times, only during battle was his power absolute. Other times if it was a matter of importance that affected the entire crew, it was put to a vote. This is why pirate captains were often known for being charismatic men, capable of swaying men to their cause. This is not to say that every matter was brought to a vote, only that the crew was involved in important decisions.

If I haven't explained before, the Quartermaster acts as treasurer, represents the crews interests, maintains discipline and and handles punishments in relation to small violations. He handles command and supervision of all the 'day to day' aspects of running a ship. He answers to directly to the captain and in most cases the officers and crew would report to him.

Any jobs not handled by actual RPers can always be manned by NPC characters. This will be necessary to some extent anyway as we probably wouldn't want to try to juggle a rp of 100+ people even if we could talk that many into joining. It would be great, I believe, if more actual people wanted to join and fill out some of the other major and even minor rolls. But unless we just really want to take on multiple jobs, there is no reason we have to. Fighting and at least basic seamanship would be a requirement for most positions on a pirate crew, of course. Certain characters might not fight (the sawbones and cabin boy would probably be easily excused), but anyone who didn't know how to handle themselves on a ship in general probably wouldn't last very long.

Names...

First some examples of actual pirate ship names

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.

And now for some random crap of my own

Dawn Breaker ( or Dawnbreaker)

Wasted Seamen (

It made me giggle. So is "Titan Uranus," if you are in the mood for puns)

The Reckoning

Fortune's Folly

Plunderer's Purpose

The Rabble Rouser

The Fop's Ambition (this a joking reference to our captain)

Halia's Heart (Halia was a sea nymph loved by Poseidon, Haliae is a variation used to refer to sea nymphs in general.)

*shrugs* I'm no good with names. I generally stick to the practical stuff.

what she said!

Reminds me of Hot Fuzz lol

I wouldn't mind the frigate either.

And here're some possible pirate ship names (mostly stolen from real ships but well they sound better than anything that I can come up with >.>):

- Calypso's Hangman

- Mayflower

- Royal Fortune

- Queen Anne's Revenge (or Queen Mary or King or any other names)

- Holy Trinity

- The Rising Serpent

- Neptune's Howl

- Black Sam (or Black Sam Bellamy)

- Whydah

- Alabama

I vote Fops ambition... you'll see why when I get around to writing my intro...

*edit*

Though that can be the "unofficial" name for the ship... the Ship really has the pansy name of The Merry Dancer (or something, I got NFI as I slowly freeze to death on the train platform)

*second edit*

Fucking train has been delayed!!!! *shakes fist*

While we are considering names for the ship we might also consider whether we use a generic or customized flag.

We can use a blank flag (in red or black), or a generic skull and crossbones or shamelessly claim one of the historic pirate flags as our own for the purpose of this RP. We could even put together some design of our own. Theoretically, it could be any design in any color, but I like the idea of being somewhat traditionalist about it.

Here is some examples of historic flags

Though most of more memorable pirates had their own personal flags, a plain black or plain red flag was actually a very common symbol of piracy.

In this case, the black fielded (background) flag was used by pirates who offered 'quarter' (mercy to the defeated) and the red for those who did not.

Pirate flags were designed to inspire fear and encourage enemies to give up before the battle even began. The skull, skull and crossbones, and skeletons are therefore often used because they are a easily distinguished symbol of death. You will sometimes see stylized 'hourglasses' as well. These were also recognized as symbols of death. They often depicted men holding weapons or stabbing things towards the same goal. "This is what is in store for you, if you don't surrender."

Personally, I like the idea of a skull with a writing quill under it, cause this an RP and we're writing it. Plus the pen is mightier than the sword and all.... *laughs and eyes

* Don't judge me!

It might look something like this

avery_quill.jpg

It has the "Henry Every" skull, cause that is my favorite flag, and pirate. And Quills and inkpots for as symbols for writing. And the traditional pirate hourglass which means "your time is running out" more or less. Write or Die! *giggles*

*mumble mumble* It's silly, whatever. Also, sorry the quality sucks. I had to put it together in 'paint' because I still haven't gotten around to installing a proper graphic editor on my new laptop.

You should ignore all that spoiler nonsense, I was just having a bit of fun and getting carried away with my silliness. But we should have an idea of what our flag might look like, I think.

Actually, i think you flag looks really good, i vote for that one. :)

But we are making our flag black or not? Cause i like the idea of them being 'merciful' to their opponents......though most pirates are probably happy to die instead to be imprisioned on the enemy ship.....

And i vote for SqueezeBabe's name. The Merry Dancer has a nice ring to it. XD

I will have my shit together after this afternoons exam... but we're having that flag, the name of the ship is still up for debate...

And I will be writing an appropriate intro to kick this off in the next few days.

Well, i would say that you should take your time. I think we all know how taxing an exam and the time before that is. :)

My character for the Shipwright on the crew...

Jac had never really been on a ship before he joined the pirate crew under less favorable conditions, but he could patch em and make em, the ships that is. For seven years he worked on the ship, not caring for the pirates that ran it or the conditions that they left it in. So when that ship docked he went to get supplies for repairs like he normally did, only to return to the ship setting sail and a couple of navy ships after it. He watched silently as the ship burned in the sea. He easily got a job at the local shipyard for smaller boats for short term fishing. But this wasn’t the life he wanted. He honestly missed the open and vast sea, working on a rocking and swaying ship. So for three years he watched and waited as ships came and went.

That was until one ship docked at the port that caught his attention. Years of working on ships and in shipyards built his body into something that was sturdy, his brown hair he kept back in a ponytail and his face more or less clean shaven. His clothes were simple cotton pants, tunic, and leather boots. Several scars littered his lower face and jaw line, he allowed the rumors to spread that he got them from the pirates, in all truth most of them came from his younger days on a swaying ship and his face hitting into cracked boards.

There was one rumor he didn’t even try to counter, though a rumor it was, but seemed to become truth, he didn’t talk to anyone, so people assumed his tongue was sliced or something. He could talk; he just didn’t see a need to far more often than not when all that was required as a nod or a shake of his head. Also he couldn’t read or write, never learned that skill never had a reason to.

He wasn’t overly sure how to join the crew officially as the last one had needed a Shipwright and had just taken him on their ship, so when a ship finally came to dock that he liked and he could get back out at sea he went right up to the dock and looked over the wood of the vessel. How did one join a pirate crew anyway? He had his own tools with him, and a sack of clothing and a purse of coin and that was it as he looked to the ship in question.

Ok people this thing is nearly taking off, I promise!

General Housekeeping:

Basically the posting order will start with Raven, then me, and then rest of you fight amongst yourselves. However, before Raven can write her post, she needs to know how the rest of you intend on writing your opening post... there are a few ways that we can go about this:

1) Most of you can already be a "crew" - if you want. If you choose this option, then you'll be answerable to Raven from the very beginning.

2) You can all be individual characters who then get recruited - again, it's important to let us know if you choose this option because this affects what the rest of us will be writing and the direction the plot (still in progress) will be going.

Now, we run a fairly tight ship around here (pun possibly intended) so communication is very important.

IF you CANNOT post for ANY reason, let us know STRAIGHT away

I would rather you say that you have shit on and don't know when you can post than promise that you will post and then never do. We are big people here, most of us are already adept at writing. WE CAN WRITE AROUND YOU and provide multiple options for you to slot yourself back in again. - There are seven people in this RP so i'm pretty sure that we would like to keep momentum up as much as possible.

As an add to this - I'm looking at no more than a week to post (unless you're Raven who is having internet problems at the moment).

YOU WILL NEVER GET BOOTED unless you seriously cock up, and I'm pretty sure none of you will cock up.

QUESTIONS! - If you have them, then ASK! None of us will bite you and tell you that you're stupid or anything negative like that, what WILL make us cranky if you make shit up or write something completely irrelevant because you weren't paying attention or were too afraid to ask.... You can consider this a "cock up" (and you'll get a few goes before you "seriously" cock up).

"Rules":

No raping other characters without their permission.

If the Quartermaster or Captain give you a direct order, you WILL obey (unless you can come up with a legitimate reason as to why you shouldn't) - I'm all for letting people write whatever they want, but it will be reasonably factual and it will be legitimate. Failure to comply will result in a "cock up" and you'll get booted. You can spend your ENTIRE post bitching about the shitty Captain and/or Quartermaster, but you WILL do what you've been ordered to do.

If you have a problem with the Captain (me) then you can speak to the Quartermaster (Raven) and shit will get sorted.

Sounds good, I will be not crew yet, coming from another ship ^^ and as you know i have no internet at home till tuesday ^^ I will post when I get the chance

As long as my placement makes since with the back story I dont care when I reply, due to events, I will be here most days. Weekends are set aside for my mate, and those days are the most likely I will not be here but for a few hours.

Option 1. The surgeon was forced into service when the government vessel he was on was attacked and raided by the this pirate ship. And that was years ago. So he'd been with the ship for years now.

Also, I'm going to go on a hiatus soon. I was going to say partial- then full-hiatus, but I'm not going faff around. So I won't start posting until I'm back or I'll mess shit up, and I'll take the last posting order, and do skip my turn if it's come up and I'm not back yet.

Will be gone starting 12 or 13, and back on the 30th this month - probably won't be able to write then 'coz I'll be knackered and shit, but will spend the night reading whatever's posted. I know it's a really long time. If I could help it I would, but yea...>.>

Okay, so

chose for last posting then, so now we just need to figure out the posting between myself,
and

I don't really care the order where I am. For suggestions on how to do it (Unless anyone wants a specific posting slot) we could either go by the order of who signed up in this thread, or something else if anyone has suggestions.

I'll go with when I get a chance if thats okay, first time i have internet after the thread is made and Raven and Squeeze have posted.

Okay, so then if its easier, maybe when the rp thread is started, and raven and squeeze post, the rest of us can just go and kinda like a thing, who gets to it first with their post kinda thing will be the order? If thats okay with

and
?

, I'm okay if you guys would like to iron out the posting order in the first round itself. Its middle of the sleep for Squeeze, so it'll take longer till Squeeze gives a more official word, but I dont think it should be a problem.

So far posting order looks like this:

ravenwyck

Chibimonkey,

(in no particular order)

There are still a few things I need before we get started.

I still need a count of who is already a part of the crew and who is just joining up.

So far that list looks like this:

Squeezebabe - Captain- Already Joined

ravenwyck - Quartermaster - Already Joined

UndertheWeather - Ship's Doc - Already Joined

Wolfenone - Shipwright - Needs to be Recruited

Dusutii - Master at Arms - Needs to be Recruited

Chibimonkey - Navigator - Unknown

InkompleteWish - Cook - Unknown

We also need an official vote on the name the of the ship.

and

Any ideas you may have for the title of our RP.

and

any other ideas, hopes, and/or goals you may have personally or for your character in relation to the RP.

(If there are specific things you would like to do or accomplish, give me an idea of what they are here and if it is possible I will do my best to accommodate them within the RP)

If you don't have input or preferences related to those last three items, that is okay (but, if there is no feedback or consensus, I will name things arbitrarily), but please remember if you dont state your opinion, its rude to be mad about it later if you dont like the name or if something you hoped for isn't included.

Some facts about the story so far:

It will take place during "The Golden Age of Piracy" (between the 1650's - 1730's)

We will be pirating primarily in the Caribbean (Americas)

It is vague on purpose, because....

We are not hardcore history buffs. While I will admit that I [HEART] pirates mightly, I am by no means an expert. While we do want be realistic, we dont want to become so bogged down by historical accuracy that we do not have fun.

As a related note, I would like an opinion on everyone's feelings about including some non-realistic aspects. (I'm not opposed to maybe finding a fabled treasure that doesn't really exist, or some such, but we dont want to be all crazy out of control with it).

If we still need to pool in names, here's the unoriginal list that I made the last time:

- Calypso's Hangman

- Mayflower

- Royal Fortune

- Queen Anne's Revenge (or Queen Mary or King or any other names)

- Holy Trinity

- The Rising Serpent

- Neptune's Howl

- Black Sam (or Black Sam Bellamy)

- Whydah

- Alabama

And if we need to pool in title names, here's a list of unoriginal titles (I swear I did try to be original):

- [insert ship name here]

- Pirates

- Pirate Latitudes

- Treasure Island

- The Golden Age of Piracy

- Reap the Wild Wind

- Against All Flags

- Fair Wind to the Caribbean

- Raiders of the Seven Seas

- Return to Treasure Island

- A High Wind in the Caribbean

Also, do we need to pirate talk? I've kinda wormed my way out of pirate talking by being a government official, but just wondering if we need to do that.

And, I have no problem with finding fabled treasures (though, I know not of any since I'm not much of a pirate-y person), but I'm not quite into the whole sea monsters, creatures, and real ship ghosts, etc. Er, I prefer Indiana Jones over Pirates of the Caribbean style if you get what I mean.

Well okay, i would say we will do it like

proposed. We will just determine the posting order in the first go. Those that reply fast or are online at that time just post and we will sort things out till it's
's turn again and we will keep the order then.

I for my part would like my charachter to be on the ship already. He joined after 'this crew' (since we don't have a name yet) defeated his old one and thus Ethan was not killed but taken as a prisoner/hostage/whatever you want. Later one he got the trust of the crew and was allowed to join in as the cook. And he gradually earnes the trust and so on from the crew.

I still vote for the ship name: The Merry Dancer (since i like that one)

For the rp title i vote: Against All Flags (just cause.....well i don't know why actually)

I am okay with a bit of none historically events but i don't want to go to far into fantasy in this rp. A bit is fine but not to much (e.g. Monsters and stuff).

And yeah since i am from germany i will probably have a bit of difficulties to write in 'pirate language' but i guess i can add a few words now and then.

I think I'll plan for my character to already be a part of the crew.

As for the ship name...I'm not sure. I had given a few earlier, but ideas I can think of right now for suggesstions that (i think?) are somewhat good are

The Loch Ness

Apparition

I do also like the name the Merry Dancer if that's what we all decide on, I would be fine with that one.

I'm also fine with non-historical things going on, like fabled treasures, or maybe sea legends/myths that try and scare pirates and/or other ships in general away for whatever reason - maybe because there's a secret treasure there or something?

But yeah, I'm up for most things really.

For Thread Title, I kinda like the suggestion

gave 'Against All Flags'

Notes on the Crew and its NPCs

We have a 38-gun frigate. In this case our ship would typically have a crew of 340ish people. Most of these people are unimportant. They are background noise like the townspeople or bar patrons in the background of a scene.

A few of the roles are important or pertinent to specific characters, however.

The Master Gunner, for instance, is in charge of the cannons...we can't have ship battles without those. His role will necessarily be filled by a specific NPC that will be named (and controlled if it becomes necessary by either the Captain or the Quartermaster).

In another example, we will employ a range of carpenters. These carpenters will be under the direction of our Boatswain (who prefers the title of shipwright). Our shipwright may choose to write in a few specific junior officers who answer to him. This can enhance the details and therefore enrich the RP.

No character should feel like they should have to do this, however. It is just an option available to you. You should keep in mind that this is NOT an excuse to create entire cast all your own and this is a group RP, so dont get so caught up interacting with yourself that you don't interact with the group.

Your Responsibilities as a Member of the Crew:

Here be the varying positions and their jobs aboard the ship as we will define them in our RP. This will help us to understand our roles and what we should expect of ourselves and each other.

Captain (

) - Pirate ships were more or less democracies, a captain only held absolute power during battle. They were typically charismatic people who were skilled and decisive in leading battles. Most of the day to day on a ship is delegated to others through the Quartermaster who answers to the Captain directly.

Quartermaster (ravenwyck) - During the normal course of events, the Quartermaster oversees all the day to day functions of the ship and acts to ensure the welfare and discipline of the crew. Reports from other officers are made the Quartermaster who then reports to the Captain. He handles the overseeing of loot and its distribution. The Quartermaster is also in charge of discipline for small offenses on the ship.

A note on consent - If, in character, you act a fool, refuse a reasonable order from a commanding officer, or intentionally shirk or ignore your duties in favor of doing some other random thing in the RP, you ARE consenting to be physically punished for it. It will be bloody... (as a side note, if you are just looking for rough action, or you want some amount of disobedience to be a part of your character, please discuss this with me privately before hand and we will see what we can work out).

Navigator (

) - The Navigator is in charge of keeping and maintaining the navigating equipment and maps and navigating the ship. He answers to the Quartermaster and the Captain.

Boatswain (or in this case, Shipwright) (

) - In charge of overseeing the day to day maintainence and upkeep of the ship itself and overseeing the supply stores. He was responsible for inspecting the ship and it's sails and rigging each morning, and reporting their state to the captain. The Boatswain was also in charge of all deck activities, including weighing and dropping anchor, and the handling of the sails. A ship of any size would require the boatswain to oversee several junior officers who would share his responsibility for the crew's morale and work efficiency as well as the maintenance and repair of the hull, rigging, lines, cables, sails, and anchors. He answers to the Quartermaster and Captain.

Master at Arms (

) - looks after personal arms such as swords and firearms, ensuring they are kept in good order and their ammunition is prepared and ready for use in combat. He or she also instructs other members of the crew in the use of arms. On top of all that drilling, the Master at Arms is responsible for discipline amongst the crew, particularly the boarding party he/she selects & commands. With the Armourer, they manage the ships Armoury, both having the only keys.

Surgeon(

) - This job is fairly self explanatory. He patches people up and tends to the health of the crew. He answers to the Captain and Quartermaster.

Cook (

) - Food production. Very important, we cant survive with no food in our bellies. He answers to the Captain and Quartermaster and will work with the Boatswain in terms of organizing food supplies. With a crew of our size, meal times will be handled in shifts so the entire crew isn't eating all at once. As we are a high class establishment, 'officers' (which include all the actual rp players) will have a separate (higher quality) meal than the common crew members.

Other NPC roles of note:

Master Gunner - responsible for the ship's guns and ammunition. This includes sifting the powder to keep it dry and prevent it from separating, insuring the cannon balls were kept free of rust, and all weapons were kept in good repair. A knowledgeable Gunner is essential to the crew's safety and effective use of their weapons. Answered to the Captain and Quartermaster.

Gunners - manned the cannons. Answered to the Master Gunner, Captain and Quartermaster

Powder Monkeys - boys (often kidnapped), who job is was to run gunpowder to the cannons during battle and help out with them in cramped spaces below desk (they were young, typically small boys). Answers to just about everyone.

Sailmakers - repairs sails, often enough mends clothes as needed. Answers to the Boatswain, Quartermaster and Captain.

Armorer - A trained smith who works specific weapon sharpening and upkeep. Is directly responsible for the armories supplies. Holds the only other set of keys to the Armory. Answers directly to the Master at Arms, then of course the Quartermaster and Captain.

Mates - Apprentices and juniors in each area of the ship. They answered to the man in charge of their particular field, often the Boatswain, the Quartermaster and the Captain.

Cabin Boy - a servant to the 'officers' on the ship. His orders are prioritized as Captain, Quartermaster, Boatswain, other officers. He is a low ranking member of the crew, however.

Sailors - The rank and file of the crew. Includes positions such as riggers (who climb about in the sails like fools), lookouts (sharp eyed riggers for the crows nest), and other essential but menial ship roles.

If there is anything important I am missing, or you have questions, need clarification, or would like to discuss some aspect or your duties, please do not hesitate to let me know.

You do not have to talk all piratey. If you would like to throw in piratey one liners or the occasional Arg! you are welcome to do so, but it isn't a requirement.

Many people on a pirate ship were originally there against their will, so anyone who wants to have been 'acquired' at some point through no fault of their own is welcome to follow that backstory as they desire.

I will give other people time make with the replying and the opinioining, but so far it seems we like we favor...

The Merry Dancer - as the name of our ship

and

Against All Flags - as an RP name