A Night at the Opera {Private 18+} {Squeeze and Blue}

b.lueeyes

He made a minute adjustment to his cravat before entering the room, noting which guests were present and felt slightly pleased to see the lordling was present... and less than pleased to see the Duchess was also present. Well.. it couldn't be helped seeing as the horrible woman was the lordlings benefactor. He would enjoy stealing the lordling out from underneath her fat little nose. He smiled graciously has he deftly snared a glass of wine as the waiter moved past him. He took a swallow before he moved to greet his guests.

He was ever the perfect host; the gracious companion. He flirted as what was only appropriate and expected with the ladies, causing them to blush and giggle, hiding their faces behind lacy fans. With the men he blended with easily, talking trade and politics and of things that one would expect a member of the nobility to know of. He smiled and laughed, all the while keeping an eye on the lordling, noting that he still insisted on drinking cordial instead of wine. He shrugged to himself, a man's personal habits were his own, and it's not like he could judge the man because he refused to partake in alcohol, though perhaps later in the evening when they moved from wine to brandy, he would be slightly more partial.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• b.lueeyes

• SqueezeBabe

The lord made sure to keep watch upon the man, after all, he was the one who had invited him here. The man was high of stature, that much was obvious, speaking to these ladies with a care and ease that only one of the highest calibre could. Even Ashford had trouble with it on occasion, being the recluse he was. Moving away from the bookshelves, he turned his drink between his hands, wondering here Edward had nicked off too.

"I must thank you for welcoming us to your home, Viscount," Ashford said, straightening his back as he turned towards them, slowly moving closer to the three of them. "It truly is a stunning residence, and of course I can only imagine the time that must have gone into curating even that collection." He gestured back over his shoulder very lightly, moving his hands very little. The lord scarcely moved his hands more than necessary. Ashford liked to think he made up for that in music. Either way, he made very few movements.

"If I may ask, could you perhaps show us to-"

Ashford was interrupted by the ungodly shriek of the Duchess. Ashford looked down in alarm to see red spreading over that gaudy, wretched gown of her. The woman who had accompanied the Duchess had tipped her wine glass, spilling her drink over the Duchess as she admired the two men before her. The noblewoman stood with a horrible cry, high pitched and dreadful, and Ashford hastened to take the glass from the other woman as Edward rushed into the room.

"By God, Cassandra, you know how much it cost to have this made! Stupid girl!" the banshee cried, looking down at herself, the wine slowly spreading out over the pastel pinks and spewing greens, and cream of the bodice. "How am I meant to be distinguished with you sloshing your drink everywhere!"

He arched an eyebrow at the screeching coming from the duchess. He swiftly crossed over to where she was, flailing her arms about and crying over her now ruined dress. In his personal opinion, the wine stain actually improved it, though anything was an improvement when it came to the duchess. He got down on one knee in front of her, his face a mask of concern, his hand comfortingly covering one of her own, "My dear lady, please don't let such a tragic accident ruin your evening, why, I will at once send you to my personal tailor; yes! even at this hour, as nothing is worth more than your happiness!" He snapped his fingers and in a few short moments the duchess and most of her retinue were bundled into carriages that sped off into the night.

He sunk himself back down in one of the leather chairs, elegantly crossing one leg over the other and smiling slightly as he sipped his wine, raising an eyebrow sardonically and addressing the few who were left, including the lordling. "Now... where were we?" Whilst small talk resumed, he motioned for his man servant to come over and addressed the lordling, "Lord Ashford, whilst it is presumptuous of me to ask, I must do so. How much is the duchess patronage worth to you?"

• 1 month later...

To say Ashford was shocked at the display would be an understatement. The lord had managed to usher the Duchess out of his home without a second glance, it seemed. It was he, the footmen and the Viscount; Edward had rushed to help his benefactor and Ashford had simply let him go. After all...his servant was rather better at being kind to such people than he was.

Yet, as he stood by the shelving, his body half angled towards the man, he found himself affronted with his words. Just what kind of man would ask such a question within so soon of meeting? That was a question of priviate beneficiary, and not one that is just so commonly, so plainly asked. Ashford stood a little taller, his gaze falling over the man. "Oh, indeed I do believe it to be rather presumptuous of you. Very much so. That is between the Duchess and myself, I am afraid," He gave a small smile, realising then that he had not been given a drink of his own from Edward.

Damn it all, he thought, swallowing thickly. "May I ask...for what reason would you ask such a thing?"

He slouched further into his chair, resting his elbow on one of the arms, and resting his chin in his hand. He looked at the lordling carefully for a moment, considering his words before answering, his green eyes glittering intensely. "If you were with her for money, then I'll double it, If you were with her for other reasons, then I'd be questioning your taste in women... but I digress slightly. The woman is questionable at best, do you really want your reputation dependant on someone like her?" He signalled one of his men to get the lordling a drink, "Cordial, isn't it." It was more of a statement rather than a question. "I'll think you'll find what we have on hand is rather refreshing."

He took a sip of his own from the glass of wine, the crimson liquid staining his lips before he licked them clean. "Of course, the decision is entirely up to you, I wouldn't dream of asking you to compromise on whatever ideals that you believe in..."

This conversation was turning more and more on him, and Ashford didn't like it. His mouth dropped open in shock and sharp, cobalt blinked at the man, unable to believe quite what he was hearing. Was this man seriously asking him to exchange his beneficiary simply on the basis of a quick conversation? This man may have the money to pay him that but the insanity of his question- what would that do to his relationship with the Duchess? And what did this man want with him?

"You, Viscount, are a rude man," Ashford's eyes narrowed and he stepped away from the bookcase, shaking his head in almost confusion. Insinuating that he was with her for something other than money was absolutely ludicrous. "The Duchess has been my benefactor for two years, and while she I consider her to be a vile woman, she is still someone that I would not like to cross. While your offer is very tempting, I am not interested."

His lips twitched, a smile flashing for a moment. "Does she know that you are unable to perform ? She would be most upset to find that you were, how we should say, impotent " He took another sip from his glass, "I will pay for everything, you will have unfettered access to my library, even if you never produce another piece of music ever again..." He stood up, his movements graceful, "If you excuse me, I must attend to my other guests, but if you happen to change your mind..." he smiled briefly at the lordling; he was far too young to know what the Duchess was like when she was a mere slip of a girl, or her father for that matter... for matters of revenge, he had all the time in the world...

He left the lordling to his own devices, moving silently, gracefully between his other guests, continuing to be the perfect host until one by one they began to excuse themselves. The sky was beginning to lighten in the east...

At his words, the lord stood still where he was, his hands by his side was he watched him practically glide out of the room. Shock still reverant on his features as well as almost anger as he left, but when he was out of the room, Ashford gripped the edge of the chaise and lowered himself down to sit, his head falling into his hands as he did so.

What was he thinking? Asking him to do such a thing, despite the fact that they had only just met. Did the man even know what his music was like? Had he heard any of it? What was this man's game, what was he playing at with this? The money was definitely an issue, as without that which the Duchess had given him Ashford had nothing. No property, no nothing, other than what came from his family, which was not eligeable to him because of his profession. His family had not been entirely accomodating of it...

That comment though, about his supposed impotency was that a play on words, or an insult in double par? Either way, it was deeply insulting to both of his music and his person. He was not impotent, he was just...indisposed in his music right now. And...it was difficult...

"My lord I was told you-" Edward's voice drifted across the room, before he paused and Ashford heard his footsteps falling as they came towards him. "Oh Ashford, what happened?" The lord looked up, his cobalt eyes dark.

"The Viscount offered...his beneficiary, but I do not know what for," He replied, refusing the glass that was in his servant's hand in exchange for standing. "And...personally I think I would like to know what this is all for. He- he is offering me...payment, for everything, despite my current musical position, and...if he is offering me that, then I need to-"

"Yes, my lord, I understand." Edward replied, straightening his master's lapels and making sure he looked presentable. It had been over an hour and a bit since he himself had left the room and he nodded to him, jerking his head. "The Viscount has been tending to his other guests my lord but the majority of them have left...if you would like, I will call the carriage and tend to the horses, keep it waiting."

"Thank you, Edward." He murmured quietly, striding slowly towards the door, before he went to seek the Viscount.

He felt the irritation rise within him as it did every dawn. The sunlight would no longer turn him to ash like it would those much younger than him, but the twinge of fear that the faint rays of the dawn brought with it would never quite go away. He took his place next to the double doors to personally thank and bid his remaining guests farewell. He exchanged his final pleasantries; promises to hold another party, to attend one of their own and the polite small talk that followed. It was a necessary part of his existence, and it bored him to the point that the words just flowed whilst his mind was occupied with other things. Just what was he going to do with the lordling? Snatching him from the Duchess was only temporarily satisfying, once he had him, just what was he going to do with him? If Ashford managed to produce music once more, it certainly would be a coup against the her, but if he didn't, how was he going to recoup his "losses" so to speak... though he was sure that he'd find a use for the lordling if he needed to.

Perhaps he'd invite the Lord Ashford back in a few days, to take tea in the garden or something equally banal. Even if he refused his most generous offer tonight, he'd just keep trying until he wore the man down...

Dark cobalt eyes slid around the elaborately decorated corridors as he sought out the viscount, but took his time, moving to gather his already scattered thoughts. What was he even planning to say? This man was making such an almost hasty decision, when...he had not heard his music, most probably, and he barely knew him. That in itself was cause for concern. He wanted to know just what he wanted from him; why he wanted to benefit him.

He stepped out into the main foyer, the large expansive room empty all but for the viscount himself who was letting the last of his other guests go. The man looked...different in the morning light, he seemed almost a little uncomfortable with the position he was in from the stance of his broad shoulders, but he could see definitely that he kept his stance as a host...a very accomodating host...

Ashford took a deep breath, and straightened his shoulders, deciding that now was not the time to let his mind wander to other things... Waiting for the people to leave, he steeled his nerves before he called out across the room. "Viscount, I must ask you; why have you asked this? Have you even heard my music before? It seems incredibly forward and incredibly strange, so I have to ask; why?"

He turned slowly to face the lordling, tilting his head to the side slightly, "And why not?" he asked seriously. He was a little perplexed as to why Ashford was being so stubborn about this arrangement. Many would be leaping at the chance; he was effectively offering him money to do nothing. His green eyes glittered in the dawn light. It was not like he could explain that he was purely motivated by revenge. The Duchess may have been unaware of her family history, but he wasn't, and he vowed a long time a go to ruin them; by the time he was finished, their name would be struck from the history books and there wouldn't be a single thing left to remind anyone that they once existed. He had the time and the money to do this, and when the Duchess fell, she'd be a pauper, penniless and dead in the streets.

Ashford bit his inner cheek lightly, breathing out through his nose as he gazed at the man in the early morning light. He seemed almost transcendent. Definitely; why not? This man was offering him so much so why we he being so...suspicious? Probably because he did not want to be pushed over, not on something that would mean his life or death on the streets. The money he was currently getting from the Duchess was bringing him life, so the idea of pushing that away, even for something that was more and more, it did not matter; he was having doubts.

"Why not indeed?" The lord replied, his voice quiet as he turned his eyes away from the man definitely, towards the large gold-inlaid clock on the southern wall. He breathed out deeply and started towards the door, and towards the Viscount, slowing as he came towards him. "I will have to take some time to think on it, there is much to consider. That, and I am rather busy at the moment, I have projects. But...I shall think on it."

He smiled, small and gentle, at the lording. "That you think about it is all I ask. If you have any questions about anything at all, do not hesitate to approach me, but for now, I fear the grows late and someone as... busy as yourself, surely needs their rest..." he signalled one of his servants who approaches with an envelope on a silver tray. He picked it up and pressed it into Ashfords hand, "Take this... as a token of my appreciation just for considering my offer, even if you dont accept, you may keep it."

He bid the lordling farewell and excused himself. The woman in his bed would probably be waking up soon.. he wasn't sure if he should feed on her first before sending her on her way, or just wipe her memories and be done with it. Either way, the next time she woke up, it would be with a considerable sum of money and a new life...

The envelope felt solid and languid in his hands at the same time. The paper was crisp, but it wasn't paper, it was too silky for that. Some kind of expensive parchment then. Either way, it was...rather light. Ashford didn't know what to make of it, and he didn't want whatever was inside to impede on his judgement on staying here so he simply took it, and turned to thank the Viscount for his company, as was expected of him-

-and found himself stuck staring in a few seconds of sunlight as it bathed a man who shouldn't be that beautiful. Ashford's mouth felt dry and his lips parted just a little at the sight of pale skin, sun-bathed hair and bright eyes that were so green they shouldn't look like a whole forest of it but they did. His heartbeat felt strong and almost relentless in his chest as he took in the image, his body going rigid for a total of two seconds. A small series of notes rose in his head for the first time in months, and his eyes widened in surprise, his own mind forcing him out of this reverie as he blinked twice, and then bade him thanks. "A-Ah, Viscount." He began, his voice clearing, but his mind staying a little foggy. "Thank you for your hospitality...I will consider your offer, and your...appreciation of it, and you have my gratitude for all you have offered me." He said, his voice quiet, before he bowed a little lower than he should have, his hand sliding over his own waist for a moment, before he turned his eyes towards the door, not wanting to meet that green-

"Goodbye, my lord." He murmured quietly, before he stepped out into the morning sunlight and didn't look back. His pace was a little more furious than it should have been, but when Edward saw the expression on his face, he knew he had to get the man home immediately. He was seeing it; something had caught his attention and Ashford was in a mood. When he got into a mood, it meant he heard music and when he heard music, he needed an instrument to put it on. Ushering the man into the carriage, he left him within the structure and took to the horses, deciding it was better to leave him alone as it was.

Within the carriage, Ashford held the envelope within long, pale fingers, the tips of his fingers playing around the silky edges, soft as the ivory of his piano back in Oxford. Gingerly, hesitantly, with the notes spinning around in his mind, he opened the envelope and looked upon the small, well written paper inside.

It was a bank check. Enough for a month of his payment, as well as enough more for living expenses...

Ashford closed his eyes, and let his head fall back against the plush of the carriage. The sound of G minor spinning through his mind, he took a deep breath, and thought of green.

He looked at the lordling for a moment; Ashford seemed momentarily trapped in his thoughts. He'd taken the envelope without question, even polite enough (or was that a lack of eagerness) to not open it in front of him. It was at that point that the sun peeked over the horizon, its light flooding across the countryside to illuminate him from behind. The sun was warm, but not uncomfortably so, not yet, and he suppressed a shudder of long forgotten fear. He listened to the polite words and watched the lordling hurry to his waiting carriage. Something had happened to him in that moment, and he moved like a man possessed. A smile flickered across his face, perhaps there would be music after all.

As the carriage disappeared from view, he hasted back into the hallway, snapping his fingers for his manservant. He had business to take care of in other parts of the continent, a trip across borders had already been planned. Now was the perfect time as it meant that he wouldn't be idle whilst he waited for a response in regards to his offer. It also meant that he wouldn't be available if the Duchess came calling to express her "gratitude". Within the hour his own heavily curtained carriage was ready for departure, and he left the city with no one the wiser. He doubt that much would change whilst he was absent; five days would certainly be long enough.

Once he had arrived home, the house had been in an uproar as he dumped his coat at the door, threw off his more formal attire and flew up the stairs, without so much as breakfast. It had taken an odd hour and a bit to return to the townhouse from the outer country that housed the Viscounts estate, and the wait had been absolutely agonising for Lord Saint-Clare, who, if by the slamming of the studio door was any indication, was in a serious mood.

The first two days, Ashford didn't sleep. He did not so much as come out of his studio, instead spending the time either mumbling (from what the servants could tell) in quick, clipped Russian through the door while scratching away at parchment, occasionally demanding paints in various shades of green, and sliding away at his grand, with flourishing sounds that were vibrant, beautiful to the ear. Yet, occasionally, they would be offset by simpler, slower tones with an almost airy feel, but with a lower, darker chord sound that edged towards twisted sounding music.

On the third day; Ashford left his piano alone entirely, opened the doors to his studio, opened all the windows in the house, claiming he needed air. The servants were ordered to make the room more comfortable, in the end however Ashford had ended up doing it himself, rearranging pillows on the piano, and on his chaise, before dragging the massive down comforter from his room and throwing it over the thing, before wrapping himself in it and sitting down with a notepad and quill. All the while demanding tea, and eating absolutely anything that was put in front of him. To say that it had unnerved the servants was something of an understatement; while Edward, who was used to such behaviour from his time in Russia with the lord, simply told them to get on with their duties and wait a little while for the recluse to return.

When the recluse finally did return, it was on the fifth day; but it returned with a sort of half twisted vengeance. On the fourth day, he had taken to asking for beef, as well as some pieces of writing from the library, and demanded the painting from the main hallway be taken to his studio and propped up against the wall; it was a Victorian piece of a stunning forest set, obviously Grecko-Roman in style, ornate, but with darker elements of the Roman religion from depictions of the forestry gods flouncing around, but in their own manners of course. Edward didn't understand it really, the lord didn't usually ask for stimulus unless he was doing something specifically relatable that he needed more input on.

Usually he simply had the vision in his head; which meant...his lord was missing something, and he was trying to find it.

This is what led to the fifth day reclusiveness. Throughout the morning, there had been nothing from the upstairs studio but the lord's piano; flowing through the house in measures of beautiful sounds, mixed in with the angry cursings of Russian and calls for tea, and more ink. The man was working on very little sleep; and seemingly running on tea as he refused food right now. Something about needing an empty stomach for whatever reason.

Edward was not used to seeing his master so possessed into his work; generally he was of course reclusive and simple minded with it. He was serious about his work, it was drawn from his very self, but he had never seen him in such a blind rage when something went wrong. It was just on ten o'clock when the sound of crashing china was heard from above, along with vulgur, obnoxious cursing in Russian. From his days at the conservatory, no doubt.

As for Ashford himself...he stood in a room that was a mix of comfortable chaos and torturous beauty. Or, at least to him. His Wall, as he called it; the one facing south, was covered in stuck manuscripts and odd pieces of sketch, some oil paintings he had scratched down, as well as the massive hallway painting propped up against the walls. Pillows littered the room along with the remnants of one of the finer china cups smashed against the wall. He looked mussed, almost owlish; his dark brown locks windswept from the open windows, as well as a lack of bathing. Despite the fact that he had bathed the day before, it didn't matter; he had been up all night, pacing or writing or playing. Either one made him sweat, because-

-this wasn't enough.

Ashford didn't know what to think, didn't know what to do. His piano had countless manuscripts thrown across it, the higher lid up to reveal the strings for the greatest sound. He licked his dry lips and ran a hand over his pale face, looking down at the countless scratchings and scrawlings of music. Music. There it was, finally, but none of it was- none of it was complete. He couldn't finish, because he didn't know what it needed. It was frustrating, and raw and despicable and it made him want to throw his work out the window into the gutters below.

But he couldn't. Because...the image of green in his mind was too vivid, and too stark, and he needed to fulfill it.

So he sat down once more, and pulled out a few of the full written sheets, as well as one of the two quills from behind his ear, and began to write with ink-stained hands, before finally, he started to play it all again.

It seemed that his business venture was successful to a degree. He'd got what he wanted, for the price that he wanted it, and he left the details up to his administrator. His signature was required for the transaction, so he'd made the trip in person. Upon arriving at his estate, he enquired whether the Lord Ashford (or the Duchess) had come by. The latter had come by, apparently put out by his absence, but no one had heard anything from the former. He rolled with the carriage as it jerked and moved over the cobblestoned streets. His manservant had not been idle in his absence, and he'd found where Lord Ashford was currently staying. He thought that he'd pay the lordling a visit and perhaps remind him once more of his offer.

He'd brought with him a gift; he'd obtained the finest quality vellum, a hundred sheets of it in fact. He wondered idly if the gift would be enough to sway him, to know that he had access to finest materials if he'd just accept. A flash of irritation crossed his passive features, why hadn't he gotten in contact? What was so important that he couldn't make the decision? He features settled once more into an emotionless caste, as if it were a marble statue. If he couldn't have him, then the duchess couldn't have him either. It would be waste if the lordling happen to fall from his balcony... a terrible tragic waste...

Standing outside the front door, he adjusted his clothing before knocking on the door, the vellum tucked under his arm, housed in an exquisite leather case, the case itself would have been an extravagant gift, the vellum inside made it more so. He hoped the lordling would be suitably grateful and thus swayed, saving him from any... unpleasantness..

So engrossed in his work, Ashford did not hear the knock to the main doorway, nor did he notice the scurrying downstairs of the staff and Edward, who was tirelessly working to create something that the lord would eat. At the sound of the knocking the staff seemed to fret. Their lord was being visited now of all times? They rarely had visitors here, rarely at all, and with their lord in his state...this did not bode well. Edward rushed through the foyer, straightening his jacket as he went, and steeled himself. Whoever it was, they were to be treated of course with the utmost respect. He gave one deep breath, before opening the double wooden veneers inwards, a smile stretching his cheeks-

-that quickly turned to a look of some alarm as he realised just who was standing before him. The Viscount Amadeus Lucius, of all people, who they had-

-they had not responded to.

The manservant was thoroughly mortified, but he instead gave a tight lipped smile, and moved to bow. "Ah, my lord Viscount, we had not been expecting you. I apologize, we have all been rather kept lately, and on behalf of my master I would like to apologize for our lack of decorum, particularly in the case of what you have offered him." Standing, the blonde Englishman took a deep breath in through his nose, before moving to allow the man in. "Please, do come in; I am afraid however, my master is rather indispo-"

"Edward!" Came an almighty bellow from above, and the manservant looked up to the balcony, beyond which lay the open doors of his masters studio. His master was still inside luckily, but from within the house the sound of scattered cries from the maids and the mutterings of woeful house staff at the magnitude of that tone. Their lord was back to demanding things again. "Bring me tea! I asked for it half an hour ago," Ashford's voice was throaty, full of frustration and a sound that promoted both fatigue and indignation. Edward knew for certain that his lord had not asked for anything today-

"S-Sir," came the whisper from one of the staff behind his ear, and he turned to look at her, mindful of the lord standing before him, beads of sweat running down his temple from the fact that this was happening in front of the distinguished, wealthy, powerful man- "We hav'nt tea, sir. Marg'ret ain't come back yet."

"Dammit, then...just-" He paused in his speech, turning to the Viscount. "I apologize, Viscount, but my master is at late, very busy, and well into his work; I am sorry to say that perhaps now is...not the best time for our household to be in a state of receiving guests, as My Lord becomes rather-" The sound of vile Russian cursing echoed throughout the house, causing the maid behind Edward to blush, and Edward to clear his throat. "-difficult."

Not mere moments later, did sound once again slither from the room upstairs, gliding down the stairs in soft, wonderful strings of majesty and eloquence, mid chords mixing with a delicate upper register that caused Edward to cease for a moment, and the movement in the house to stop. He took a deep breath, and after a minute or two, with no cursing and no interruption, he turned his eyes on the Viscount. "Difficult...perhaps he may be visit-able..." he murmured hesitantly.

He stood perfectly still as Edward bowed stiffly before inviting him in. "I apologise for not calling ahead, I was merely in the area and arrived on a whim." It was a white lie, but then again, the best lies always had a grain of truth to them. He followed Edward into the apartment and was wondering how best to broach the subject of the lordling when his voice could be heard bellowing from the upper floor, the following cursing enough to singe the very air. He watched in silence the exchange between the maid and the manservant, and arched a perfect eyebrow at the ensuing response. "Difficult you say?" he murmured quietly as the liquid notes floated down. The music sounded promising, all the more reason to have Ashford in his employ rather than the Duchess'.

"I assure you that I'm a very patient and tolerant man. Lord Ashfords tantrum will go largely unnoticed, after all, I have imposed upon the household. However, I have brought a gift that I sincerely hope will be adequate compensation for the intrusion." He waited patiently for Edward to respond, standing perfectly still, as a statue might.

Tantrum? Compensate?

The words spun around the servant's mind for a moment, before he took one deep breath, and stared at the man without a single twince of hesitancy in his mind, only resignation. While he knew this man was enough to break his master's social reputation entirely, and as such...hearing him say such a thing, particular concerning the fact that he had offered such an agreement to his master...well. Edward had no real choice in the matter. Giving a wave of his hand to the lingering staff, they scurried off to their duties, while the manservant nodded.

"My master...I am sure he will receive you, Viscount, if you would follow me," he murmured quietly, turning and moving with a glide up the stairs, while his mind whirred. Ashford's reaction was something he couldn't gauge; he had no idea how the Englishman would react to such a visitor at such a time but...if the man's spark had come from a conversation with him, perhaps there could be something...

Ashford stopped a little way behind the closed double doors on the right hand side of the stairs that led to the studio, where the music was echoing from in almost effortless strides. "Viscount, if you please, I must serve my masters will and at this moment that means procuring tea, if you would...I believe a proper introduction would not be welcome right now. And, I am sure you can handle him, if you are so inclined to look over his... 'tantrum.'" He gestured to the door, and bowed low, his eyes facing the floor.

The perfect eyebrow arched once more. It appeared that Edward was giving him "license" to intrude personally on the lordling without announcement. He smiled to himself, that would then perhaps work out for the best. He nodded at the servant, the smile now twitching on his lips, "Good luck in your procurement," he said, genuinely amused at the mental image of servants madly scrabbling about for something as simple as tea. He waited for Edward to excuse himself before making his move into the room.

He moved quickly and silently, as only he was able to, standing in the room for a few moments unnoticed. He took in the chaos, the parchment either stuck to the wall or strewn about the floor, the broken cups, the resulting stains. It appeared the lordling had worked himself into quite a state. He coughed quietly; politely, and waited.

Ashford Saint-Clare sat upon his piano stool, his left leg pulled up under him upon one of the plush pillows, both quills resting behind one ear, with his hands moving slowly, but with ease over the ivory. His long eyelashes fluttered beneath the halo of almost feathery hair, mussed beyond a few nights without sleep as he played, dark eyes covered from view. The other foot playing along the pedals, the lord sat there almost languidly, slightly leant over the keys, his body fluid in line. His breathing was slow, barely noticeable beneath the loose tunic he wore, and the slacks he had been in for the second day now.

Ashford was engrossed in his music, yet he knew something wasn't right with it; something was missing from the flow, something...something different. Something he hadn't thought of before, obviously, something...new. It was there, at the back of his mind, hidden in images of forests, of green and wildflowers from the northern countries. It reminded him of Russia, of Switzerland, of the Netherlands, but it didn't all the same. Too green...too green...

He jumped at the sound of a throat clearing, the sudden intrusion into the sound space that had him jumping slightly, his eyes flying over his shoulder, one of the quills jerking from his ear to clatter to the floor as his hands lifted from the keys in a sudden movement. Dark blue, owlish and bright but shrouded with tiredness, burning with the anger and need to create, stared into the intense green that had been swimming around his head for five days. A sharp gasp cleared from his throat as he registered who was in the room with him and his mouth dropped open, before he looked to the still open door behind the man, to the tea cup shattered just to the man's left, and back again.

"V...Viscount." He murmured quietly, his voice husky and a little tired, worn from shouting and cursing, and a lack of sleep. His shoulders dropped just a little, but his eyes stayed both bright and dull, excited and tired at the same time. All he could see was -green- all he could think of was that first trickle of notes that went through his head. He blocked them for just a moment, pushing his hair back from his face. "I...apologize for the mess. Come in..."

He tilted his head slightly in greeting, and proceeded to play the perfect guest. "Lord Ashford, I apologise for the intrusion, I have returned from some... business dealings and I couldn't suppress the urge to seek out your company. I do hope that my humble gift is adequate compensation for what surely must be an unwelcome visit from myself." His voice was soft and soothing, the tone used to calm an angry household animal. A touch of his original, very old accent tinged his voice adding to it's calming effect; the hand rubbing the leather satchel slowly had a hypnotic quality to it.

It was obvious to see that the lordling was, and had been, completely and utterly engrossed in his work. He waited patiently, again not moving, for the lordling to indicate where he should sit, or even stand to accept the gift that he'd brought...

Ashford wet his mouth, taking a few moments to blink as he took in the image of this impeccably dressed man standing there in his doorway, looking all the more like he should be somewhere else entirely. The composer had some trouble thinking about what he was saying to him; and a few moments after he spoke, Ashford's brow furrowed and he reeled back just a little bit, gently, his eyes finding the sachet in the man's arms. Wait... what was going on again?

Dark eyes blinked in confusion and he looked up at the man, feathery hair sticking up just a little as he reached up to take the quill from behind his ear, and stand, if a little shakily. He clutched the edge of his piano and straightened his back, before he moved towards the viscount, wetting his lips quickly, and realising then just how horribly dressed he was. He stood up a little straighter again, hearing a small cracking sound from his back, before he blinked once, very slowly, and gave a slow bow from the waist, pulling his arm over his chest as he murmured, "I am...deeply in......gratitude." He looked up, before looking confused, blinking again. "...in your debt," he corrected himself, "for coming here. For you coming here. Is that for me? Really?" He asked, pointing to the sachet, seemingly a little incredulous as he turned his eyes up once again to the green of the Viscounts.

Ashford was tired, and confused, and just a little bit out of it, but either way, he had said what he wanted to say.

He smiled, genuinely amused and the flustered lordling. He held out the satchel carefully with both hands and bowed slightly, "Please accept my most humble gift" he said softly. The untidy state the lordling in was indicative of how obsessed he was with his work, and he wondered if that same quality extended into other factors of his life, like how would he be with a lady for instance? He suspected that the Lord Ashford would never actually be with a lady; his obsession for music being the primary reason.

His green eyes watched the lordling calmly as he waited for him to compose himself further. "I do believe that tea is on the way," he said with a small smile, "If I had of known of your predicament, I would have come more prepared..."