• Static Impulse

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

━━━━━━━━━━━━━

STORY

━━━━━━━━━━━━━

It has been three years since the opening of a supernatural portal that, in one night, started and ended a war. It destroyed, rebuilt a city, and gave rise to new creatures that this world has never seen. This happened in New York, a barrier to the outside world was erected almost instantaneously since the attack began leaving the creatures trapped, but the citizen stranded in the hell hole.

The demons circled their new found cage in rage. Eventually they came to realize that there was no way out and that for the meantime they would have to live side by side with the human's, so their food source would not die out. Through three long years of chaos Arch demons took hold of the city in forms of shady organizations to hold a tight reign over their weaker subordinates. Keen on finding a way out as well as to live in what luxury as best they could in these trying times, while humans knowing nothing else fell back into their old patterns. Returning to their jobs, but fearful for their own skin.

Each day is lived in a dreary sunless hours, the brightest of days being as clear as muddy water and nights so long you feared that it would never lift. Resources are running low, food, water, and medicine, as little could be grown without an underlight and fresh water. However the electricity remained a steady constant which gave hope to the remaining human citizens that their would still be a way out, while this brought the demons more confidence that they would break through this dome soon enough.

However a band of humans still remains rational, Libra. It would be impossible to open the dome and to free themselves without allowing the demons through and as much as it pains them, unless every demon is dead they would never see the sunlight again. So they put up arms against the demons, spy on their organizations, and fight against their efforts to claw their way out while trying to gain communications with the outside.

A new name has been etched into these hallow city walls, JERUSALEM'S LOT.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━

horizon-4.jpghorizon-3.jpghorizon-5.jpg

Walter hurried up the stairs, screams becoming louder as he went echoing through the hallow walls. "F-ather!" Walter leaned onto the door frame his breath falling in short puffs, while his other arm clutched onto a parcel. "I- heard-...screaming from downstairs." His eyes lingered onto the woman who was on his father bed clutching to the sheets. Her face was freshly bandaged and spots of blood was already soaking through. Protruding through the sheets was a large rump from her abdomen. She wailed again tugging the sheets some more as her breathing became rapid, she was going into labor. The lower end of the sheets were folded back as his father was examining her nether regions not turning to his son to answer him. "So were you able to trade for the penicillin? His father's voice remained collected despite the chaos the woman was going through. He cooed her softly as hands slid in.

"Yah."

"Good, now set that down over on table and help me deliver." His father interrupted him quickly after getting the information he need. Walter nodded moving quickly over to the table to set down the brown package. Readjusting his black glasses on his face the boy inhaled deeply, holding his breath before he began to help his father with his work.

Nitric was terrified. Then again he was terrified 90% of the time. The final 10% was used attempting to calm his nerves down. Needless to say it never lasted very long anyways. Nitric typically kept the basement of a ruined rubbled home way down in the poorest area of the city. There were plenty of humans wandering around here, a few low levelled demons called this place their home as well. He was one of them, though he didn't really share the same view point as most demons did. No rather then his barbaric. companions, Nitric was weak and small. He was a little shorter then most human males. He was also very skinny and rather then fight to the death Nitric typically ran for the hills at the tiniest.hint of danger. Nitric was not vile or evil. Rather he was nervous and curious.Rather then having the desire to hunt and kill humans or even conqure them. Nitric found the humans to be interesting. He much rather study them and befriend them then kill them.

Though tonight he was scared of them then wanting to befriend them. He made sure to dress all in black and keep to the shadows as he slipped into the cold night air. He covered his pale grey skin in a long dark cloak. He normally wouldn't have gone out but he despertly needed supplies. Shaking he made sure to keep quiet and stick to the shadows..

After the delivery had proven to be a success and the mother laid quietly holding her daughter in her arms, Walter sneaked out to a back porch patting his pants pocket for a pack of cigarettes. Leaning over the rail of his father's practice in the lower end of town he took a long drag of the fag as he tried to settle the quivering in his arms. He looked wistfully at the scenery before him sadly smiling to himself. Back here it really didn't look that much different than before all this shit had started.

The smoke lingered out of his mouth and his surveying continued and an orange glow from the streets gleamed behind him and his father's practice illuminating parts of the allies below him. He needed something to kick the images out of his mind. He had little to no problem with treating women, but when it came to pregnancies something just threw his stomach off.

Humans and demons alike scuttled through the back of these alleyways like rats trying to keep a good distance between each other. Human interaction was on a low and the only people who got near to you was those who wanted something from you. However being pupil to his father and in the charitable line of business, if you could really call it business, of pro bono treatment then you were going to shake many a hand of strangers.

What a perfect word, strangers.

Demons even found there way here, giving them a new field to study in was a perk, but that was not the reason why his father accepted them. He didn't quite understand his thinking. Every human lost someone to that horrid day, to one demon or another, but like anyone else his father would accept them with nothing else than a nod and a gesture. He felt bitter towards them and their kind and his father for treating them like anyone else.

The cigarette burned idly between his fingers before the long line of ashes fell down onto his fingers.

"F-fuck!" He waved his hands suddenly, the rest of his cigarette falling into the darkness of the shaded alleyways.

Nitric coninuedto shake as he stumbled through the darknes. His eyes nervously darted from corner to corner. The air seemed to get colder the further he went, an ominous feeling slowly filling him on the inside. Then he smelt it. Fresh blood. Blood from a freshly born child. As much as Nitric wanted to ignore his true self, the scent of pure innocence was too much.Hecouldnt help but mindlessly wander towards the most delicious smell.

Nitric moved through the darkness like a reaper. Sniffing the air as he drew close,he wanted a taste.A tiny drop, he had heard a few high levelled demons say that blood from a freshly born child waslike tasting a bit of heaven. Every demon wanted to get into those pearly gates. Even for a moment. Nitric stopped at a building. Hecouldnt quite see the building because of is desire to taste such delicious blood. He stopped and looked up taking in the smell. Then suddenly something fell and hit his left eye. Itburned.Dear god did itburn.

"Ngh...uhhh...it burns!"

Nitric cried out in utter horror. He fell to his knees and covered the burning eye with his bandged hands. It eally hurt whatever fell andhit him. It hurt like nothing else he had ever felt before. He hunched over in the dark whimpering in pain as he held his burning eye.

Walter already had his fingers in his mouth to sooth the slight burn on his digits. Not even a second after he did so did he hear the cries of someone almost directly bellow him. He knew instantly an idea of what happened. Guilty his stomach dropped to the ground and he rushed from the porch into the house and nearly tumbled down the stairs as he hurried to get to the alleyway next to the house to see how serious the damage was. The voice ringed horribly over in his head as his mind vividly went through the worse of what could have happened.

Wallace, his father, called out to him for being so loud as thumped down the stairs, but he had not a moment to spare in his reality.

Upon reaching the street did he notice really how dark it was out there with the lack of up kept street lamps. Some flickered as others went out, he noticed only one come on far down at the other end of the street. The only other light came from the corner of curtained windows, several from across the street and one right above them in his father's study and upon turning into the alleyway it felt as though the dim rays never existed in the first place. He heard the heavy breathing and cries echoing forward to his direction. However the further he walked the more they began to fade in the acceleration of his own heart beat.

Anxious for the panic to go away he called out. "H-hello?...Are you alright...I'm a doctor, I heard your screams and I-"

Nitric had curled into a tiny ball and was holding his hand tightly against his eye. His lime green blood gushed from his eye as he attempted to stop the bleeding. It seeped through his skin and onto the ground. He whimpered lightly and huddled up on the ground, making himself as small as he could. His hood had fallen back revealing the pale skin on the back of his neck, the strangeness of his hair. Half of it seemed to be almost shaved off while the other half was long and covered on side of his face. His long ivory coloured horns stuck out of his just barely showing in the pale moon light.

"P-please...don't hurt me..."

Nitric's voice squeaked out of his mouth. He didn't look over at the young doctor. Even though he heard the young man speak to him. He was too scared to even more, too much in pain to even look at the man. What happened to him? What hit him in the eye. It hurt. It hurt more then he had ever experienced in his existence in this world. Not that he really had any comprehension of his existence in the other world. Not that it mattered now. This human, could very well kill him and harvest his body for their charms and such. It scared him. The thought of it. Dying that is. He feared dying out of everything in this scary new world.

"Please...please don't hurt me...I didn't mean...to disturb you...please..."

A dark silhouette crouched before him. Upon getting closer did he finally notice the reflective splatter on the poor boys hands covering his face. It was blood. Following his fingers up his face he noted the alabaster horns which should have made him hesitate to approach any further, but the way he shook and cried took away such rational thoughts. Walter was quickly at his side, the guilt overtaking all of his thoughts, while subconsciously he began to try and quell the boy's fears and calm him.

"It's okay, no one is going to hurt you. I'm not going to hurt you. He slowly crouched down laying a light hand at his back.

"I only want to help stop your pain. Please, I'm a doctor let me help you."

"Promise...promise you won't hurt me..."

Nitric whimpered as he cowarded from the touching of his back. He was not like others of his kind. He was small and cowardly. He was crying, demons never cried. There was something off about him. Not only his mannerisms it was also how he looked. He looked more human then demon, either then his horns, his skin and lime green eyes. That and he was youthful looking, he looked no older then seventeen or eighteen. This was another thing off about him. Demons were typically vicious looking creatures, with sharp teeth and claws.

"...I didn't mean...I'm sorry I disturbed you...I really am sorry..."

Nitric apologized. He apologized. Demons never apologized, especially for something that wasn't their fault. His one good eye looked at Walter. Glowing it's lime green colour, even his tears appeared to be a clear version of his blood.

"I'm...so so sorry..."

Walter's teeth clenched at hearing the demon's words. He had been the one to cause the pain in the first place, to have made a demon cry. He did this to the cowardly hunched over demon, so unlike anything he had experienced before. Far from the classic textbook monster. He seemed even more vulnerable than most humans in which they hunted, more innocent than the human age in which he looked.

"Don't apologize, you did nothing wrong. My name is Walter Lee and all I want to do is help you. Come with me just around this corner to the clinic. It's going to be okay." Slowly he lifted himself up and placed his hand again on his shoulder, the other hand was extended as an offering of help.

"Let me help you up. The quicker we are, the faster I can help sooth the pain." He circled his mind searching for the most calming words he could find. Anything that could get him to trust him enough so he could take him back to the clinic.

"...okay..."

Nitric's gaze from the one eye didn't leave Walters face. Even half open from the pain and the tears, the glowing lime green colour resembled a jewel. A rare jewel of sorts. Nitrics instincts were screaming for him to run from this human. Humans were just as bad a demons, especially when something weaker was around him. They killed each other, and sold the blood to the higher demons. Not only that, but even demons get lonely and require pets. Low level demons and humans alike. They were no better then humans in their eyes, some times lower.

"...please...I'm really sorry...if I disturbed you...please...please just don't hurt me..."

He found himself repeating his plea to the human. The scent of babies blood was still in the air. It made him even weaker now, more so after he was now also bleeding rather badly. He gave into this human and took his hand. Whimpering softly as he fallowed him around the clinic.

Walter gently helped the boy off the ground. He was shivering and the blood loss was staggering. With his hands now removed from his face he could see what the damage had done. His left eyelid closed over the wound and a heavily green hued blood gushed a lush fountain from under it as if he were crying endless tears. However he could see from the other side that tears the still green in hue were watered down and much less thick than blood. As they walked into the light once again Walter was supporting the demon with his arm under his and letting their weight fall onto his shoulders.

In the clarity of the lights' glow Walter's features could be seen. Thick wavy ashen blond hair cupped around his face and down to his neck. His thick black squared glasses only helped to frame his face. Walters skin was pale as were his icy blue eyes and despite his chin being strong it helped to contrast his soft cheeks. Because of his sweater it was hard to tell what kind of a build he was asides from the fact that he stood 5'8" off the ground. Just a foot taller than the boy being supported by his arms.

His face was uncomfortable, he didn't know how he felt about being so close to a demon. He only ever really been near one while they were on the operating table and until now he never even willingly talked to one. It took only moments to reach the door as it was just on the other side of the corner, he wouldn't be surprised if his father had heard everything through the window. Upon entering his hunch was right. His father stood ready hands behind his back, he only look surprised as he eyed up who his son was carrying into the clinic.

He only turned his head to look at the demon in his arms as he could not face his father's gaze. This was his fault. "A cigarette fell into his left eye." And with that his father hurried upstairs to prepare the operating table in one of the rooms furthest from the woman and her child. Walter took his time helping the boy up the steps.

Nitric didn't look around, the sudden brightness and the pain made him annoyed to the light. He couldn't help but try and over his eyes with his hands. His tattered cloak dragging behind him. It wasn't until they got up the stairs and into the other operating room did Nitric remove his cloak. He wore simple black clothing. Part of it had some tears, mostly from what looked like he had been cut or attacked at one point. Nervously he placed a hand over on one of his sides. The pain from the last attack still stung. He swallowed sharply as he took a seat on the operating table. Looking down at the ground trying to avoid eye sight. His demonic features becoming very clear in the dim light. His long hair on the one side of his head, fell over on the side where the eye was injured.

"...you need to clean the blood up...other demons will come...stronger ones..."