The Forest and the Prince (hal7283 and Gladis)

hal7283

Screenshot_2015-02-25-17-59-44.png

Name: Delwyn Erkens

Race: Elf

Background: It has been centuries when ancestors of the house of Erkens left their native land and settled on the land of Lavendelle. Being at the center of the continent the little settlement quickly grew to become a great economic power, with the house of Erkens as its royal family. While Lavendelle had little what you can count as military force, its vital position and vast wealth made sure all the surrounding kingdoms would rather let Lavendelle stand independent, than risk it fall to the hands of the enemy.

Such is the world Delwyn was born into. As the only heir to the throne he was loved, adored, and quite frankly spoiled. Not that he is ignorant, in fact he is quite well read, and is good at all subjects from history to music, from archery to horse riding. But he has the habit of sneaking out of the palace and go to bars, clubs, theatres and so on. He has caused countless troubles, but has always found a way out. After all he is the prince of Lavendelle, the heir of one of the richest kingdoms on the continent, and there's no sign of this is going to change anytime soon

“Yah!" Delwyn Erkens kicked the horse with the back of his feet to signal it go faster. He was riding under the night sky, holding the leash in his hands tightly, he held on the horse with all the strength he's got. His heart was bumping wildly in his chest, tears were blown backwards by the wind. He felt like crying out loud, screaming, but was too afraid to even do that.

It all happened so quickly, Delwyn has slipped out of the royal palace, and was wandering in the night market as usual, when suddenly he heard a huge explosion, the very ground shaked by its impact. People turned towards the source of the sound and saw the city gate went up in flames, followed by countless roars and the sound of weapons clashing. Delwyn was about to run back to the palace, only to see the heads of his parents thrown down the palace wall by his own uncle. The fire was everywhere, and all he could hear were screams and agony.

He couldn't remember how he got on the horse, did one of the guards recognized him and gave it to him? Or did he stole it from someone? Either way, when he realized it he was already on his way out of the city. Some men dressed like soldiers tried to stop him but he ran them over. All he could do was ride under the night sky, leaving everything he knew, everything he loved, burning behind. After hours of riding he past out on the horse back.

Who knows how long he had ridden, but when the horse finally died of exhaustion he found himself at the edge of a forest. He weighed his options and decided to walk inside, thinking the forest may provide him with some cover.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hal7283

• Gladis

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.

Haha, it's fine. XD I'll be going with the forest guardian. -w-

4f2be066c78c9e5d04f530c833ab0181-d4wit3g.jpg

Name:

None / Guardian of the Forest

Unknown

Unknown

Race:

Unknown

Abilities:

Shape Shifting.

Emotionally and Physically linked to the forest.

Can manipulate plants but also other things which are part of the forest.

Can see through the eyes of the forest animals.

May have more abilities which aren't listed yet...

History

Most of it is unknown. The guardian simply appeared at some point, beginning to watch over the forest and its inhabitants.

”Have you heard the legend about the spirit of the forest?”

The traveler stopped poking around in the campfire for a moment to look at his companion. ”No, what is it?” he asked, stifling a yawn. It was clear that the two had been traveling for many hours — after which anyone would be exhausted. Yet despite this, the first man who started speaking still looked surprisingly fit.

”It is said that if you reach the heart of the forest, you may encounter a beast,” the man explained, taking a sip from his wine pouch. His face was brightly illuminated by the campfire, his blonde hair almost seeming golden in the light.

”A beast?” the dark haired man arched an eyebrow, watching his companion with a look of doubt painting his face, ”what kind of beast?”

”They say it is the spirit of the forest. According to the legend, it appeared over a thousand years ago. Back then, there was almost nothing but wasteland around here. It was dead. Nothing could live and thrive under those conditions. So the people of ancient times pleaded to the gods; pleaded for them breathe life into these lands. The god of life eventually answered their plea by breaking off the tip of his horn and dropping it onto the earth. As time passed the piece of horn buried itself into the ground and as though it were a seed — a plant eventually sprouted from the earth. Yet it wasn’t an ordinary type of plant. It was a part of the god of life and as such, also contained part of its soul. As the soul grew, the earth it had deeply rooted itself in changed. Before long, the dead valley had turned into a forest so beautiful and alive — it would put any other forest to shame if compared.”

”Well, it is a beautiful forest,” the dark haired man agreed, ”and deep too. I believe the majority of it has yet to be explored,” leaning back, he gazed into the fire thoughtfully.

”Uh-huh!” his companion agreed excitedly, ”and it is said that at the heart of the forest, the spirit now rests in the form of enormous beast.”

Little did the two men know that this ”beast” they were talking about was actually listening in on their conversation. Borrowing the eyes and ears of an owl seated on a branch above them, the creature couldn’t help but chuckle lowly to itself as it tuned out on them. As it chuckled, it was almost as though the ground around him shook just slightly. It amused him — to hear what kind of fairy tales humans would spin about its origin, when not even the creature itself could completely remember the truth. So much time had passed since it was awakened from its slumber; one couldn’t really blame him for not remembering.

Yet eventually listening to them became boring. The story the travelers were discussing was nothing new to the creatures ears. Instead someone else caught its attention. Through the eyes of a little forest mouse, it could see that another mortal had entered its forest…

Delwyn kept walking deeper and deeper into the forest, as the vegetation became denser and denser they blocked the moonlight, and in the dark forest Delwyn could barely see a thing. He used his sword as sort of a tactile stick, touching and poking his way through, as well as cutting down branches and vines which stood in his way. He kept going, partly because he didn't know what else he could do, but also out of a sense of vigilance.

Ever since he walked into the forest he felt like being watched, but by who? Could it be the enemies catching up on him? Or the wild animals in the forests? Either way he need to find somewhere he could hide and rest, and then...and then what?

As the sun began to shower light through the layers of leaves he tripped on a thick root and fell to the ground. He tried to get up but couldn't, all the fatigue surged up to cloud his consciousness.

"What...should I do....?Father............Mother.............“Delwyn muttered before succumb to the overwhelming temptation to sleep.

”It” had long since lost interest in the wandering elf and tuned out from the mind of the mouse, taking a moment to rest. Now and again he could feel the familiar, light, stinging sensation, making it clear that someone was cutting away on its trees, plants and roots. It was something the creature had long since become used to, so it didn’t exactly pay it any mind. The only thing that puzzled it was why anyone would be cutting down vegetation at this time of night. Most humans, dwarves and elves alike, tended to be asleep at this point. At least as far as ”it” had understood, based on the creatures observations.

It was quite a surprise when the blonde elf he’d seen earlier suddenly appeared in the clearing ”it” as currently resting at; in the form of a huge, turtle like plant-monster-mountain-thing. Unfortunately the child of the elves seemed exhausted and inattentive, which in turn also caused him to fall over one of the creatures many roots. For a brief moment, the creature considered killing the human. That was what it did every time a human or anything of the like came this far into the forest. Interacting with such vile and greedy creatures was a danger in itself. Yet there was something about that lost and exhausted expression painted upon the elves face that made the creature change its mind. Instead of shredding him to pieces with the vines he produced, he carefully let them wind around the humans arms, legs and torso, lifting him into the air before carefully placing him on the pile of fallen leaves he’d quickly gathered with another set of vines. Since it was right beneath the forest beast, this in turn meant that the elf would be more sheltered.

For the rest of the night, ”it” would watch over this elf. Once morning came upon them, the beast of the forest would have to decide what to do with this child of the elves.

"Um..........." Delwyn gradually woke up from his sleep, he slowly sat up, feeling ache all over his body.Fora moment he wasn't sure what's going on, then the memories of the tragedy surged up to his mind.

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!" Delwyn held his head with his hands and began to scream. He felt like he was about the vomit, but after a long time of starvation nothing came out.

After a while he had finally clam down and began to look around. He found himself at an opening in the forest, light shower through the gaps of the leaves, shrouding the whole area in a golden veil. Then he heard something behind him, and turned around. His brain pretty much froze due to his inability to understand and process the "thing" in front of him: a giant creature with a wooden body, supported by huge limbs that looked like the collection of vines. Countless and branches with colorful leaves spread towards all directions, shading most of the open area under its shadow, and what caught Delwyn's attention the most were those glittering eyes, staring straight at him.

"......What....what is this...." Delwyn muttered while cautiously moving back while keeping his sight on "it", holding his sword tightly in his hand.

It came as a slight surprise to the creature as the elf suddenly began to scream. Even if "it" has been watching over him the entirety of the night, he had never really noticed him sir. Mainly because the creatures focus was not always on the elf. As "it" knew the elf was safe sleeping between "it's" roots, the creature saw no reason to constantly keep an eye on the sleeping humanoid. Instead "it" had drifted off into somewhat of a slumber itself, and with it the forest too, fell asleep. It wasn't until the sun rose that the creature regained complete consciousness and even then, the elf had been pretty much the last thing on "it's" mind.

What was more, the creature couldn't quite comprehend why the elf was screaming. Clearly there was a look of pain on his face... but why? What had caused the elf this kind of agony? In an awkward attempt to comfort the upset being, a few of the vines which had earlier laid him on the bed of leaves tentatively approached him, trying to caress him in various places as "it" had seen animals and sentients alike express forms of affection and comfort.

This wasn't very appreciated, it seemed. The elf drew a long, metallic object from its scabbard, pointing it at the vines and creature warningly as he took a few steps back. "It" recognized this as a hostile action, though he could tell that the root of it was fear. Animals in this kind of state could be extremely troublesome – but this boy was not an animal. Perhaps, just perhaps he could be reasoned with.

"Fear not, child of the elven folk. I have no intensions of harming you..." the creatures mouth did not move and yet "it's" voice echoed through the clearing. It was neither masculine nor feminine, though seemed to be somewhere in between. Rather than so easily defined, the creatures voice could be described as 'lyrical'. When it spoke, it was almost as though the forest itself was speaking – and yet "it's" words made perfect sense. "Tell me, child of the elven folk... what has brought you into my forest?"

"Wh...What? You could talk?" Delwyn was surprised by the voice of "it", it sounded calm and gentle, almost beautiful. He wasn't naive enough ton simply believe what "it" said, but on the other hand "it" didn't kill him when he was unconscious. Perhaps "it" wasn't hostile, at least not yet?

Delwyn lowered his sword but kept it in his hand, he answered: "I wish you no harm either, great creature. My name is Delwyn, I was running away from foes who wanted to harm me. I stumbled upon this forest and decided to get in here to hide."

Delwyn continued: " I apologize if my presence here has caused any disturbance, again I mean no harm nor disrespect to you. I shall leave here at once."

The creature was silent for a moment as it pondered the young elves words. Once again, it found itself confused by the elves actions. If he was running from predators — why did he wish to leave it’s presence so quickly? Wouldn’t heading elsewhere just make it more likely for them to catch him? As long as he was in this forest, the creature could ensure he was safe — if it so felt like it. Every nook and cranny of the forest was under its control, after all. Naturally, the elf wasn’t aware of this. Barely anyone was, so perhaps his actions weren’t all that unreasonable after all.

The creature couldn’t help but chuckle softly as it shook it’s enormous head just slightly. "Oh child of the elven folk, you have in no way offended me. It has been long since I've spoken with a sentient being such as yourself... to speak the truth, I'm actually enjoying your company..."

Once again it went quiet for a brief moment, its four yellow eyes almost seeming to reflect loneliness and melancholy. "If you aren't in a hurry, perhaps you wouldn't mind entertaining me just a little while longer? It gets so awfully lonely here sometimes...besides, as long as you stay within the boundaries of my forest, I can assure your safety. Doesn't that sound like a reasonable deal?"

"You will........keep me safe?" Delwyn considered the creature's offer. Yes it sounds tempting for Delwyn, as he has no place to go, and those who destroyed his home are likely searching for him right now. But could "it" be trusted? Even if "it" was telling the truth, that it enjoyed Delwyn's presence and would keep him safe, what if "it" suddenly changes its mind and squash him under its feet? It's a gamble Delwyn couldn't afford to lose.

"Or could I?" Delwyn thought to himself. What's he got left anyway? Lanvendelle burnt, his father and mother died, and his own uncle likely had a hand in all this. He's got really nothing but his life to lose, and it didn't worth much now.

"Well then, great creature, I will humbly accept your hospitality." Delwyn bowed to tje creature and put his sword bavk into the sheath. His tension finally eased, and before he could say another word the sound of his stomach echoed in the forest.

"......My apologies, great creature, I haven't ate anything for wquite some time..."

The creature nodded its enormous head at Delwyn's question, gazing down at him with four, yellow eyes. "It" would never lie, just as nature rarely told lies. "It" was indeed capable of keeping the young elf safe – and if he in return gave "it" his time and chose to be his company, the soul of the forest had every reason to protect Delwyn. Most sentients would have either attacked or run from "it" by now... it was quite pleasant that this elf seemed different from the rest. At least as far as "it" was concerned.

Pleased by the elves answer, the forest creature had to keep itself from chuckling once more when it bearded the boys stomach growl. Being so huge could be quite inconvenient. It wasn't exactly as though "it" could move around however it pleased, without harming the forest and as such, also itself in the process. Sure, "it" was capable of shape shifting and could take on a smaller, more compressed form such as a sentient's like the elf... but this was how "it" was the most comfortable.

"You're in a forest, child of the elven folk," the creature mused, "fruits and berries you'll find everywhere – even animals to hunt. Feel free to go look for something to eat. As long as you stay within the bounds of my forest, I can protect you."

"Thank you, I will be back shortly." Delwyn said before going into the forest again. Lat night when he was going through the woods it was completely dark and he didn't have the leisure to look around. But with the sun up now Delwyn could see the forest in all its beauty and glory:giant trees surge into the sky, light beam shower down between the leaves, strange and beautiful plants only seen in picture books were everywhere. Birds flew and sang, mouses and squirrels climbed up and down the trees, little bugs and beetles buzzed around. He even saw a pack of deer walked across. All these things were new to Delwyn, as he had never walked into the wilds before.

Then the sound of his stomach growling dragged him back to reality again. "Damn you stomach...can't you see I am enjoying the moment!" Delwyn said to himself. He began to look around and as the creature said, there were lot of fruits nearby. He also found some wild yams that were eatable. He would've liked to hunt something but was too hungry to do so.

After a while he returned to the open area with his hands filled with food. He laid them down at the edge of the open area, then he turned to the creature and asked : "Do you mind if I start a fire to cook food here?"

The creature nodded its head as "it" watched the young elf venture back into the thickness of the forest in search of food. Even if the creature could technically have easily grabbed something for the human to feed on... "it" was generally against interfering with all life forms within the forest. Already that he had promised to protect the human contradicted this usual philosophy. Not that the creature regretted it. Just having someone to talk to made it worth bending its usual principals.

"Do you mind if I start a fire to cook food here?"

Every time someone broke a branch off a tree or destroyed life of any sort within the forest – the creature would feel it. In particular when the vegetation was affected. Sure, usually it didn't do more than sting a little, but the creature was still aware of it. Nevertheless it shook its enormous head at the humans words – that certainly wouldn't be the only fire that was burning at the time anyway. Several more campfires were scatted across the forest.

"Go ahead, child of the elven people..."

"Thank you." Delwyn said to the creature. He took some fallen leaves and branches then collected them in a pile to start a fire. He then took the yams and began to roast them. As the yams cook he said a short prayer to nature for providing him this meal, though it's a bit strange when the "nature" you are thanking is right beside you and watching you eay. Then began to eat the fruit he got. They were fresh, juicy and sweet, better than anything he has ever ate in the palace.

When Delwyn had finished he carefully put out the fire. Then he walked to the creature and said: "Um....So.....great creature, you said you like me to keep you company, what exactly should I do? And also, please call me Delwyn. How should I call you?"