parents reacton for children being gay

vytlemskissa

I want to know how would normally people react, if their daugther/son was gay. :hamtaro-005 (19):

I actually had a discussion with my mom, that was quite opposite, that I would ever thing about. We were talking about the fact, that my brother never ever told her about somebody he would be dating (or want to date). And then she said: "Well, he's not coming home from dorms as much, as he used to. Who knows what he's doing there with Petr (also guy). And then I told her, that he acually likes girls. Mom just put her cup of coffee down and said: "Even so, as long, as he's happy, I'm happy, too." :hamtaro-005 (6):

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• itsapanda16

• vytlemskissa

• Vinleifr

• alexia__

Hello, I found your topic interesting so I've decided to contribute.

A little background I myself am pansexual and when I told my mother in tears --at 13 years old-- that I liked women more than platonically she 1. thought I was lying 2. brushed it off immediately. She automatically thought I was exclusively a lesbian , which wasn't the case, when I tried to go in and explain the fluidity of my sexuality she called it disgusting , which really hurt at the time.

To this day she still loves and supports me if need be, but my sexuality is a taboo subject.

At this point in my life where I am an adult it doesn't bother me as much/at all because I'm comfortable with who I am.

Regardless, I think informed by my own experience, your mom's approach was very nice! (★^O^★)

Yeah, I love my parents and I'm very proud of them being so openminded. I wish everybody could have parents like me. :hamtaro-005 (22): That would be nice.

• 3 weeks later...

wow your parents are awesome, vytlemskissa :D

we really need more open minded parents. It's heartbreaking to hear when parents disown their own child :(

i'm actually a lesbian and for a long time i identified as bi/pan and i told both my parents. they were totally ok with it but i think it was because they thought it was still a phase. eventually i went through a loooong period of not dating or talking to anyone romantically and just tried to figure out my sexuality. i realized i'd never actually been attracted to men romantically/sexually and when i came out to my mom, we were taking a walk and i stopped abruptly and burst into tears after saying it. she accepted it immediately and while there are still some times that she forgets i can't share her excitement over hot guys, she loves me and invited our family to come support me at pride ;~;

well..this is interesting..i told my parents that i am bisexual when i was at 4th year college...they fell in tears together...(you could not expect when u bring this confession up to the table and have ur parents respond 'oh goodie'!..)..it made me consume all bravery and courage to tell them about it...good thing despite their response i had my big brother (who is straight) backing me up whatever the consequences are...he even mentioned he already knew it during our childhood years...lolz...and now he is even teasing me to one of his circle of friends (who is straight)....my parents were able to understand my 'coming out' eventually but not yet ready for me to date a guy though...

It depends on the parents, some are more open to the idea and wish for their child happiness, while some are against it. Take mines for example, I told my mom that I think that I was bi and she played it off like a joke. Even to this day, she denies it. Me, as long as I'm happy. I guess it depends on what they think, some base their perceptions off of religion, cultural stigma, preference, & social norms/reputations.

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.
said, I've been trying to tell my parents that I've been Gay since forever. I seriously remember my 8 year old self trying to have the conversation with my parents and it wasn't until I presented my first Boyfriend to them that they played it off as a joke. To this day it is sort of a forbidden topic to talk about at home and they seem to be trying to ignore it since from time to time the good ol' joke about me having a wife comes out.

With that said, I've never rejected myself or felt like a lesser being in front of anyone nor have the desire to be different. I love being Gay and if I had the chance to pick my sexuality? I'd be Gay all over again xD

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.

Hugs, at least I know I'm not alone in that area. ^^ I know what you mean, well at least I tried. If something happens, at least I could say, "I told you so."

As for myself.. My parents are totally open minded. Even before I told them, they told me about 20 times that they were okay with me being gay, straight or whatever. That they would support me however I was as long I'm happy. I still hid it until few months ago and now I even show some pics of two boys hugging each other in a not normal way to my dad xD He even said that it actually looked good. :) So it really depends of the parents..

I haven't bothered to explain to my mother that I swing both ways honestly. I know exactly what her reaction would be, neutral, but it's not something I feel compelled to explain. Besides, I'm pretty sure she understands. When Thor came out I constantly talked about how hot Hemsworth was and I've openly had shounen-ai on my computer, which is easily visible.

• 1 month later...

My parents have never had that case due to everyone in my household being straight, but if I were a parent I would totally support my child and not worry too much about what sex they go for, rather worry about them even having sex in general xD you know parents freak about that. I wouldn't have anything against it as long as the partner is a decent child.

I've not come out of the closet with my bissexuality yet, but I keep imagining how it would be like. My mom would probaly try her best to support me, even thou it would be written all over her face she was having a hard time accepting it. She's just like that: Her children's happiness before her beliefs. My father would probably go trough a hard time but would end up accepting. I still don't have the guts to tell them, thou.

I told my mom I was bi, I still have doubts she believes me .__. My dad, however, saw only my post on facebook, so I'm not even sure :D However, the more I think about it, the better I realize men are not really my thing... Still working up my courage to tell them.

I honestly haven't told my parents about my gay sexuality yet. I can not guess how they would react, but I'm pretty confident they will accept it. My parents are not like: "You are no longer my son since you're gay." And I am quite happy about that :)

Me coming out was a big bang in a small town, just as i wanted it to be. At school they even had emergency meeting at teachers lounge :)

But to family. Mom had some difficulties to understand for some time. Just because she didn't know anything about being gay. Was more worried of me getting HIV. How 80's way of thinking, but i understood her worries.

And after awhile and talking with my sister, she was just fine.

Dad was a different story but not in a bad way. He, being a sailor and seen every harbor and whorehouse in the world, started telling stories of his travels and...umm...experiences. Oh lord that was awkward :)

But well, at least he was and still is the most open minded person i know. And i truly envy his decades all over the world.

All my friends were just fine, most of them told they've just been waiting for me to tell.

All together, it was good and healthy experience for me. I just hope it would be for all.

• 4 weeks later...

My parents are generally very understanding people and even before I came out of the closet they were more than accepting, so when I told them one faithful day that I was bi/pan, they were just like "Oh we knew years ago."

Yeah, me coming out was very uneventful.

• 4 months later...

Im gonna define my parents rection regarding gay. Im a gay, I've realized that since very young -_-. it was so weird at first that Im more into guys body than girls :D. and my mom caught my message with a guy I was crushing on him. she asked me few questions while my dad was not home yet. she dropped tears as said " please, if you have a lover, it is better a girl", she told me how a transgender killed by HIV (I was surprised of it because of the topic, HIV? Im not a bitch,mom). then she made sure that Im a straight, she was "cmon tell me that you are straight" I nodded, I was hurt, I could not eat in very long time since mom's reaction.