Eternal Summer Talk

ShivaDrake

What do you think about this movie?

I really enjoyed it, but the end is so ambiguous that after watching it I thought about its meaning for a week yoyo7

First time I watched it I thought that something didn't figure... Shane's last words "we are best friends" made me think if it could be possible that Shane slept with John only for maintain their friendship...

Because Shane has always been so lonely that he couldn't loose John as friend...

Second time I watched it I thought that maybe Shane loved really John and he could express his feeling just saying "we are friends" :2yoyo4: but John at the end seems so sad! (or maybe so happy? ahhh so ambiguous xD)

Anyway, this movie really touched me! Their love scene is one of the best I've ever seen...

I enjoyed it so much because I thought that finally they could express their feelings for each other...:msn_red_fox 18

Oh well, only thing that is sure is that they'll be friends forever, after all :cuteonion7:

• Like 2

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ShivaDrake

• Sloan

• xkuroxhimex

• robertita

@ShivaDrake: OMG!!! YOU LOVE THIS MOVIE TOO??

I soooooooooooo love this movie. I knew I just have to have it. I watched this like several times. I even have the soundtrack. It's just so beautiful. It has all the elements that I am looking for. Friendship, attraction, love, fear, sadness, regrets, contradiction, conflict and romance. It's crazy! I just love it!

The actors who play Shane and John were so amazing and I must add sexy too. You know I accidentally watched some Asian drama on TV and LO AND BEHOLD the actor who played Shane was on it and he had a scene where he was kissing this girl and I was watching it and he looked so damn awkward and I was like...

"You kissed John SOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD how come you can't kiss that girl properly, you doink!" I was grinning madly and I could not explain why to the people around me watching the TV because NONE OF THEM have seen Eternal Summer and I don't think they ever will appreciate BL so...all I could do was grin like an idiot and laugh to myself. Oh gosh!!! IT WAS SO HARD!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!

Despite of the way it ended, people can misinterpret it as Shane just loves both of them. But I think Shane always knew how John felt towards him and he loves John so much. He's practically crazy about him. He can't handle John pulling away from him. He needs him more than he ever thought he would. John was willing to make the ultimate sacrifice. He knew how painful it was gonna be. But the girl represents an extension of John and for some reason she realizes that and she knows she can never ever get in the way of these two even if John is trying to give it all up, Shane won't have it. He loves John too much. He can't picture life without him, I mean..duh...they have been together as kids. What a bond, right?

I really love the film. And the intimate scenes....oh wow!!! It just felt so natural and raw yet sensual. Shane is so spoiled and John really didn't want to put up with that anymore but he loves him and it's really difficult. It's not like Shane cannot handle himself. He needs John beside him.

• Like 4

I love this movie because he made me think a lot about relationships between people. I think that for Shane John is like the only thing he can rely in his life, his only family for a long time and he could not afford to lose him.

• Like 2

That's exactly what I thought. He couldn't live without him and I guess it was his way to 'keep' him. I don't think they ended up romantically but closer than ever before. Wow, it has been a while since I saw it but I remember loving it. It was sensual. I love the bed scene- tehehe.

• Like 2

@ShivaDrake: OMG!!! YOU LOVE THIS MOVIE TOO??

I soooooooooooo love this movie. I knew I just have to have it. I watched this like several times. I even have the soundtrack. It's just so beautiful. It has all the elements that I am looking for. Friendship, attraction, love, fear, sadness, regrets, contradiction, conflict and romance. It's crazy! I just love it!

YEEEEEEES, YEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!! I LOVE THIS MOVIE

Before watching Pure it was the most exciting&touching movie I've ever seen.... ehehehe it's still among my faves, though. YES! I've got the soundtrack, too. I love kiss theme madly, oh gooooosh I feel a pang whenever I listen to it.... Seriously, their story is so beautiful. Thinking at how much John loves Shane and how much he languishes for him just breaks my heart.

It's clear that also Shane cares for him, but I dunno if he can really discriminate between love and friendship.

EterSUMMER3.jpg

Oh gosh the scene where John approaches Shane while he's sleeping.... seriously, I could really feel the longing and the pain in his heart...

and I was so damn thrilled during Kiss scene..... GOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSH.

Shane kindly caresses John's forehead, an instant of doubt and then kisses him soooo gently.... thinking at what John felt in that moment makes me move. He waited so much for that moment and it finally has arrived... I can really imagine his relief and emotion when his heart's desire came true. John has always loved Shane sooooooo madly :cuteonion58:

And you know what? Besides the romance aspect, this movie is so touching because it treats a lot of deep themes, such as changeability of things and humans, end of youth, loneliness... With the arrival of Carrie Shane and John have to face the fact that they are growing up and this entails a drastic change in their lives.....They aren't kids anymore :cuteonion58:!!! Maybe Carrie could be considered a gooseberry but I felt a little sorry for her... She has always known that Shane and John loved each other but despite that she tried so hard to remain at their sides because just as Shane she has always been so lonely and she was so scared to get back to her loneliness.

The actors who play Shane and John were so amazing and I must add sexy too. You know I accidentally watched some Asian drama on TV and LO AND BEHOLD the actor who played Shane was on it and he had a scene where he was kissing this girl and I was watching it and he looked so damn awkward and I was like...

"You kissed John SOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD how come you can't kiss that girl properly, you doink!" I was grinning madly and I could not explain why to the people around me watching the TV because NONE OF THEM have seen Eternal Summer and I don't think they ever will appreciate BL so...all I could do was grin like an idiot and laugh to myself. Oh gosh!!! IT WAS SO HARD!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!

OH GOOOSHHH XD YOU LUCKY THING!! ahahah if I would see an Asian drama aired on Italian tv....into the bargain with Shane...EEEEEEEEKKKK I could really tear my hair out for joy

AHAHAHA he was so ankward kissing that girl????!!! ehehehe Shane those lips give their best performance only when John is around eheheheheh

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I just recently watched this movie again and also recommended it to a friend who hasn't really seen any Asian BL movies. She gave me her rushed impression of it because we didn't have a chance to talk about it. I'm looking forward to discussing the movie with her~! I'm glad to see there are people who really like this movie despite the ending. I thought that despite the ambiguous ending the movie was well made.

I really liked the childhood background because I think that without it, the end and the love scene would not have as much weight as they do. Even the end feels like it fits because of the story's beginnings.

I don't exactly want to compare Eternal Summer to the manga/anime Tight-Rope, but it's got the basic idea that when the other person is all you've got in your life, that's the person you never want to be without. Shane having been the boy that no one wanted to be friends with because of his mischief, continues to do more antics that are not acceptable because he wants attention. When he finally gets a friend, he doesn't want to lose him and even though eventually Shane does become popular everyone else isn't as important as Jonathan. When Jonathan begins to go through his own personal struggles with identity, acceptance, and unrequited love, Shane feels something has changed but doesn't know what it is.

I'm always going to have a personal dislike for Carrie because even though we see that she's in the same boat as they are, young people who are struggling with something in their life, she is a little deceitful. She knows Jonathan's secret and specifically who he pines for and in the end she approaches Shane and says nothing about it to Jonathan. She lies by omission maybe thinking that if she kept it from Jonathan it would keep him from getting hurt, but Jonathan isn't dense enough to not see what's going on and instead she hurts him. I think what also makes her less likable is that we don't dive deep into her character like we do with Shane and Jonathan. We know the two as children and we especially know Shane and it really isn't until high school that we know Jonathan's feelings for Shane, but you justify this intense attachment and love that Jonathan has for Shane because you know that it had years to grow.

Carrie was first introduced with a public humiliation, but at the same time that doesn't give me enough to sympathize with her character as much as I sympathize for Shane and Jonathan. To me it's sad to know that Jonathan is engaging in sexual encounters with other men when it's clear he isn't happy. You can't say mean things about him because you know the struggle he's going through and you know it's a huge mistake, but you hope he will realize that what he's doing is a mistake and that he will come to his senses and stop.

There's just so much to say about this movie! To me it is clearly my favorite. I watched it such a long time ago with my sister and today it remains a movie I can really enjoy despite how dark it is. I'm just a lover of the angst and the unconventional ending.

• Like 2

I like this movie & the relationship of this couple Shane & Jonathan....

But quite sad at the end anyway...........

:hamtaro-005 (15)::hamtaro-005 (21):

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Dear yojichan

this movie is a great movie I totally agree with you that Shane cares for Jonathan. Be frank! I was kind of upset at the end of the movie. Shane was selfishly force himself on Jonathan. He mistakes between love and friendship or what not? Personally ,I against "half ass love, you for it or not".

• Like 1

I love this movie its one of my favorite BL movie and maybe my fav Asian BL movie.

Well my weak point is friendship, i really care about this and that's why I really loved the movie, and have this thing too:

According Wikipedia the movie have a poetic subtext related to the meaning of the Chinese characters names:

Shane (Chinese Traditional: 守恒; pinyin: shou heng) represents (Chinese Traditional: 恒星; pinyin: heng xing) star (the Sun).

Jonathan (Chinese Traditional: 正行; pinyin: zheng xing) represents (Chinese Traditional: 行星; pinyin: xing xing) planet (the Earth).

Carrie (Chinese Traditional: 慧嘉; pinyin: hui jia) represents (Chinese Traditional: 彗星; pinyin: hui xing) the Comet.

- The Sun always shine;

- The Earth goes its route around the Sun, but cannot approach this;

- The Comet brings surprise to the solar system;

- The image is incomplete without any of them.

Well, I love symbology, stars, BL, asian movies, that movie have all that I love

• Like 3

• 2 years later...
@ShivaDrake; OMG!!! YOU LOVE THIS MOVIE TOO??

Despite of the way it ended, people can misinterpret it as Shane just loves both of them. But I think Shane always knew how John felt towards him and he loves John so much. He's practically crazy about him. He can't handle John pulling away from him. He needs him more than he ever thought he would. John was willing to make the ultimate sacrifice. He knew how painful it was gonna be. But the girl represents an extension of John and for some reason she realizes that and she knows she can never ever get in the way of these two even if John is trying to give it all up, Shane won't have it. He loves John too much. He can't picture life without him, I mean..duh...they have been together as kids. What a bond, right?

@yojichan; I really love the film. And the intimate scenes....oh wow!!! It just felt so natural and raw yet sensual. Shane is so spoiled and John really didn't want to put up with that anymore but he loves him and it's really difficult. It's not like Shane cannot handle himself. He needs John beside him.

yeeeahhh i thought I'm the only one love this moviee !!!! this is the best movie ever! pure and i like school background.... i know that feeling.... whn u close to someone and u must sacrifice urself u,u

can i have the title they playing on another drama :o

everytime i watch this dunno i cry i laugh i smile.... arrrghhh.... why life is so harrd.....

• 7 months later...