Ju-on movies

鼠ドル

"Ju-on is a curse born of a strong grudge held by someone who died. The place of his death gather his grudge. Anyone who comes in contact with this curse shall lose his life and a new curse is born."

Some of you might have only watched the american version called The Grudge(2004, Takashi Shimizu), which is a remake on Ju-on.

There are however several (japanese) Ju-on movies, namely;

Ju-on [the grudge] (2002)

Ju-on [the grudge] 2 (2003)

Ju-on [the curse] (2000)

Ju-on [the curse] 2 (2000)

Director: Takashi Shimizu

Ju-on shiroi rôjo [white ghost] (2009)

Director: Ryûta Miyake

Ju-on kuroi rôjo [black ghost] (2009)

Director: Mari Asato

Ju-on no yakata [Ghost gate](2003)

Director: Makoto Yamaguchi

[the eng. titles*]

They all evolve around the house and the people being affected, but in various angles and story-lines. Most focus on the girl with long black hair and her young son, but others on the people being affected by the curse. The grudge, the curse, white ghost and black ghost stories are all written by Takashi Shimizu and thus have some similarities. Screenplays on the white & black ghost are written by Ryûta Miyake and Mari Asato respectivly).

However, Ju-on no yakata has a whole different plot and is placed in an old castle and is not really linked with any of the others. It is a part of a series called Kyofu Yawa. (this one I haven't watched, I have no idea if it's the same kind of ghost as in the rest of the Ju-on movies)

Anyway, feel free to discuss them here :)

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 鼠ドル

• KonekoHime

• Kujaku

• AnnaLudvigovna

Just watched Ju-on the curse 1&2... As usual quite a lot of "WTH?!?" haha. The last scene in the 2nd movie is just... odd. Well, I suppose you could say everything about these movies are odd. Good movies that will keep your mind busy for a while (if you, like me, feel the need to solve the unexplained things lol).

C'mon there's gotta be more people who likes these movies~

• 1 year later...

I've only seen the first movie, but it was a few years back :) the place i watched it on has become one of those sites were you have to do something before you can even watch it :_red_fox 12

• 1 month later...

as far as i remember...well i think few months ago,

i marathon-ed all the possible Ju-on series out there including the continuation in US Version;

and the two side-stories that made no sense in the Ju-on series like:

the girl who lost her jaw in Katsumi.

and the brother of the girl in Katsumi with the cellphone scene with 4444444444.

but i guess i haven't watched all of them like Ju-on shiro and kuro shojo.

oh i'm so gonna see this.

i am so in love with this and the first horror series i got addicted following.

As an avid fan of japanese horror movies, Ju-On doesn't come off as the most terrorific series of movies, but more like the most popular outside the country. I can think of a large number of horror movies that can easily surpass Ju-On, but let's not take credit away from it. I really loved the idea of a non-linear narrative form, and I still find it entertaining.

While I am not against the remake for the american audience, I am not crazy for their sequels, both which I didn't find satisfying at all, but rather dull and even funny to the extent of making its main character, the ghost of Kayako, nothing but a joke.

• 1 year later...

I've watched JuOn The Grudge I and II.

Really love it! * p *

White Ghost and Black Ghost I only watched, cuz Kago Ai acted in one of the movies. ;'D

Watched the Ju-On movies from the early 2000, starring Ozeki Yuya (or something like that) as the ghost-kid.

Have also seen the american adaption starring Sarah Michelle Gellar.

That one wasn't bad, but I think I prefer the Japanese ones.

As for the Japanese ones, I think both movies was pretty good though I did prefer the first movie.

Haven't seen the movies for quite some time now, but perhaps I will (since I got them both on DVD)

Haven't seen the later Ju-On movies so I couldn't say whether I like them or not, nor do I plan to do so.

• 4 years later...

I liked NEXT too... although I like most Nicolas Cage films.

I think if there were an actor to win the category of starring in bad movies you love, hed have it by a light year.

• 1 year later...

Did a marathon of Ju-on and Ringu before Sadako vs Kayako came out. Overall I really liked them. 

Just found out there's a Grudge movie released this year, but it has really low rating so I don't plan on watching it, lol.