They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera [Book Club FEB 2019]

Racheal

jERXWWG.jpg

Adam Silvera reminds us that there?s no life without death and no love without loss in this devastating yet uplifting story about two people whose lives change over the course of one unforgettable day.

New York Times bestseller * 4 starred reviews * A School Library Journal Best Book of the Year * A Kirkus Best Book of the Year * A Booklist Editors' Choice of 2017 * A Bustle Best YA Novel of 2017 * A Paste Magazine Best YA Book of 2017 * A Book Riot Best Queer Book of 2017 * A Buzzfeed Best YA Book of the Year * A BookPage Best YA Book of the Year

On September 5, a little after midnight, Death-Cast calls Mateo Torrez and Rufus Emeterio to give them some bad news: They?re going to die today.

Mateo and Rufus are total strangers, but, for different reasons, they?re both looking to make a new friend on their End Day. The good news: There?s an app for that. It?s called the Last Friend, and through it, Rufus and Mateo are about to meet up for one last great adventure?to live a lifetime in a single day.

In the tradition of Before I Fall and If I Stay, They Both Die at the End is a tour de force from acclaimed author Adam Silvera, whose debut, More Happy Than Not, the New York Times called ?profound.?

Description from Amazon

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• crystald

• bondingboys

• Racheal

• Holdenshelia

Is anyone else having a hard time finishing this Book? I'm about halfway through and I don't think I can finish it.

hi,

I already had that one on my list when I noticed it was chosen for the YO Book Club read I haven't joined yet because I wasn't able to finish a book on time so far and then the club went hiatus

back to the Book: I finished it today and am suprised i'm the only one?

I was interested in this book the very first moment, maybe because of some other book I once read when I was a teen with similar content. There was no death-cast but an institution that could predict the exact day and time one would die and wanted to test the reaction and possible influence if the one going to die knows when.

I get it to not being able to finish this one. I also had those moments (mostly when I thought I knew where this was going) and closed the book for days.

But this one was easy to read and sucked me in intstantly every time i opened it no matter where I left off.

From the very first chapter I was convinced the Death-Cast Call Mateo got was actually meant for his father. My conviction didn't even waver when he stood before his own gravestone..

and then I recalled the tiltle of this book :(

my thoughts of the book are clogged in my head, and english not being my native language doen't help to get them right

so overall:

i thought i was a very good read, the characters seemed natural and real, it got me totally thinking on some topics,

got me weeping to the end

And one can wonder if some of the Deckers only died because of Death-Cast aka knowing they're gonna die..

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.
thank you for sharing your thoughts. i even read ur spoiler haha.

guys. i don't think i can participate this month huhu i got a few books i'm reading now. who else read the book, please share your opinion :D

This is late, I'm aware, but I was a bit wary and kinda doubting Adam S. book since they said most of his works were sad and would make you cry . . . and I prefer cute/fluff story with HEA/HFN for my LGBTQ+ reading.

But, well, I started reading this book this evening and huh, it was not like I've expected at all. Sure, the Death-Cast was really depressing and so sad, but I was hooked by one of the MC, Mateo's genuine & pure character. His interaction so far with Rufus, the other MC, was interesting to read further. Also, would they end up as couple in the end? I'm at 20/30% into the story, but I prefer they would just be best friends or at least the best of Last Friends until the end, tho . . .

Anyway, it's a really good read. Hopefully the ending would be as good, too . . .

Finish! And oh man, what a read . . . This was so unexpected even tho I've known the MCs wouldn't survive the Death-Cast at the end . . . And I regret, I should've tried to read this book sooner despite me doubting any HEA/HFN from Adam S . . . orz

, I too have this suspicion that the Death-Cast actually was the cause of the Decker's death . . .

, put this book on your TBR list, then! Although the Death-Cast was really depressing but the MCs got to have cute moments together! But beware for the ending, okay?

• 2 weeks later...

[table=width: 500, class: outer_border, align: center]

[tr]

[td]This book was like a rollercoaster of emotions. Im positive the reason Rufus died was because he stopped being careful and was hit by Victor Gallaher. I knew the obvious end but still...[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

I hope you have a great weekend!

:leaf: