Best Books of 2018

auser

There weren't that many good books released this year. However, I have two and a half books to recommend:

- Where Death Meets the Devil by L.J. Hayward. Blade's craziness was funny and the writing style was good.

- Robby Riverton: Mail Order Bride by Eli Easton. It was cute and I loved Robby interaction with the family even more than the romance.

- Murder Club: Slash One by Kol Anderson. I didn't read it but one of my friend recommended it to me and the blurb sounds interesting.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• auser

• bondingboys

• Jochie

• shinyaKogami

Thank you for all the recommendations, I will be adding a few to my TBR list.

I would like to add my recommendation of T.J. Klune - Tales From Verania series and all of Sloane Kennedy books.

• 3 months later...

So it's closer to the end of the year, so I'm adding a few of my picks..^^

So best books published this year in my humble opinion:

Ravensong by TJ Klune (and is it true that book 3 is expected for December 2018 too???

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.
are you guys pumped & ready?!)

Invitation to the Blues by Roan Parrish (because I will read anything by this author. seriously. ANYTHING.)

When Everything is Blue by Laura Lascarso (@Jay19, this is like the perfect book for you. it's magic, it's amazing, I love love love love love it.)

Love Me Whole by Nicky James (for the romantics out there)

In other words.. Murder by Josh Lanyon ( because Josh Lanyon can write about goat sex & I will still read it)

Wolf At Bay (@Aquatic, seriously, you have to read this series ASAP!! And everyone else too.

, probably the only shifters you will ever like. because you will. because it's amazing.. wink-wink
)

Changed: Mated to the Alien Alpha (The Omega Colony #1)by Robin Moray (for the perverts out there)

Boystown 11 by Marshall Thornton. (Please, everyone on my friends list, go & read the Boystown series. It's MAGICAL! Again, thank you

)

I think that's it for me. I was reading a lot of older books rather than new ones... But also I don't feel like there were that many great books published this year.. T_T what do you guys think?

What are the books that You liked this year?:)

p.s.

thank you for the murder club recommendation! it's on my radar now:D

, Goodreads said "Heartsong" expected to be published in 2019??? And from T.J. Klune's
also said in September 2019???

But then if it would be really published next December . . . ASDJKGHAAA BODY AND SOUL I'M FREAKING READY!!

wait what? am I spreading Fake News aahha? nope, it says December 31st for me O_o

iy1q8i.jpg

Although, knowing TJ Klune your date seems much more plausible xD

Update: simple google search proved you right T_T T_T T_T T_T oh no, I don't think I can physically wait this long T_T

, it is too long, next year in Fall, but I believe it will worth the waiting~

Ah, but T.J. Klune has the latest book ("The Bones Beneath My Skin") in last October and Normal Person #2 next February for us while waiting for "Heartsong", so if you haven't read Bones, I recommend it, Mochi! ^ ^

thank you so much for the recommendation!!!^^ I love love love TJ Klune, although this booked seemed more YA-ish than most of his other works, so I wasn't sure whether to read it or not.. now I will:D

but wait,

, have you read More Happy Than Not? I'm looking for someone to discuss this book with:D:D

, before that, have you read "What If It's Us", the latest book by Adam Silvera & Becky Albertalli? Because I have read it . . . well, only around 60% and just put it down for now . . . but, you know? I had to peek the ending since most reviewers on GR somewhat crying out "the ending, but the ending", and I was too curious to know and aaaargh

They didn't last! They were cute and fit together but all those dates and they didn't end up together in the end--!! Okay, some people on GR also said something like "it's a realistic ending", and the ending somewhat had this "will they, won't they, next time they meet again . . . or never???" vibe -- like, why not? Why not?! They had these cute dates even though imperfect, but but but nooo, nope, sorry faithful readers, Adam & Becky decided "naaah, Arthur & Ben are only for Summer Fling" . . . Ukh, deadpan stare emoji. All 60% reading and I felt, "huh, why bother" and I just DNF'd it . . .

Now, you see, Mochi? I dislike it when the pairing/couple I'm rooting for actually won't end up together in the end. That's why, Adam Silvera's books . . . I haven't read any of them, but I'm a little wary . . . They said they cried after reading his books, so sad ending, then?

I also dislike sad ending in YA/LGBTQ+ books. (But I can face it in MM books, actually.) I feel queer teens need happy and hopeful ending at least in fiction, not sad . . .

So, tell me, Mochi. "More Happy Than Not". Will there be a happy and hopeful ending? Would the boys (whom I might be rooting for) be together in the end?

If "Yes!" -- then, I will read the book. ^ ^

can't wait for book 3! But I'm more excited for book 2 of how to be a normal person. I want to read more of Ironic Amigos and hopefully some of We Are Three Queens

have read Bones beneath my skin? Is it good? Sad or funny?

, I did enjoy reading Bones and have reviewed it on YO main site. Also, it's typical T.J. Klune's writing style so kinda reminds me of Wolfsong, which is like drabble scene after scene? There were funny/hilarious moments . . . and some sad scenes & memories.T.J. Klune said the level of angst was way below "Into This River I Drown" . . . Romance was NOT the focus of the story, but it still had somewhat "enemies-to-lovers" (not really, it was all misunderstanding in the beginning) trope, slow burn (although the MC had instantly voiced how attractive the other protagonist in his mind), and one steamy scene between the men . . .

Also, it had happy ending. ^ ^

thank you for adding that last sentence ;)

I'm asking this book for my Christmas present, I'll let you know next month what I think

, hope you'll get the best present and I'm looking forward to your opinion! \(> ◇

• 1 month later...

Although I haven't been online for years I might also recommend: " The boy and his dragon" , "Solid as Stone", " Immortal Darkness", " Absolute Perfection" :)

I'm currently reading Guardian by Priest and it's wonderful. The book is currently being translated into English on Wattpad and there is even a series with the most beautiful cast ever! I wholeheartedly recommend it. ^^

I loved

L.J. Hayward - Death and the Devil series

Roan Parrish - Riven series

My all time favorites are

Meredith Shayne - Metal Heart

Giselle Ellis - Take My Picture (similar to Mary Calmes)

Lissa Ford - Doubleback series

Kay Simone - The Company We Keep

Hailey Turner - Soulbound 01 - A Ferry of Bones & Gold

I am 100% ashamed of myself, but for me it was the Blue Unicorn series by Don Allmon. In particular the first book and the last one.

I love books about non human characters. In particular if these characters are considered monsters (one of the two main characters is an orc), A+ if they're big and scary but also bottoms. That's it. I am going to say it.

I forgot to mention, I really enjoyed the Captive Prince trilogy last year! If I'm not mistaken it's being adapted into a manga? If anyone can shed any light on this I'd be grateful.^^

Oh and CUT HAND! omg how could I forget. Cut Hand by Mark Wildyr, set in the wild west, about a man who falls in love on sight with a beautiful native american man, saves his life, they escape together and then we read all about their married life within their tribe and all their run ins with the colonizers. It's incredibly well researched so you actually feels like you're getting an insight into the tribe's life and struggles. Amazing book!

as far as I know the writer is actually publishing another comic (called Fence, about fencing)!