Call me by your name-Book Review

Americandragon

Elio's final internal narrative tug at my heartstrings. The novel, Call Me by Your name by Andre Aciman will stay in mind forever. Okay, maybe I'm being a bit over dramatic, but the story awakens emotions in me I didn't think I had. 22-call-me-by-your-name-book-w710-h473-2x.jpg?w=680

Spoiler Alert for anyone who has not read the book

As I read the book, I found Elio strange at first, and the detailed imagery of Italy through his eyes immersed me within his life quickly. The pace was slow, but not so slow that I would get frustrated. There were moments I admit where I questioned Elio's sanity such as the moments when he spoke of wishing Oliver was dead. I am heavily paraphrasing that here. The description of the settings made me want to not only visit Italy, but it complimented the inner feelings of Elio too. 9699290.jpg?w=199

The subtle hints Oliver gave Elio at the beginning of the novel, build up nicely to the point when Oliver explains to Elio that he liked him and he touched him as a way to hint that he liked him. It was cute how Elio beat himself up for moving away when Oliver touched his back. h67dtkqkb6qjqqatllfb.jpg?w=620

Which leads me up to my next point: Time. Remember how I mentioned earlier that the pace of novel was slow? Well Oliver and Elio were both shy. It's already established at the beginning of the novel that Elio's father host a graduate student each summer. Oliver's time is almost over in Italy and it's evident that the beginning of their romance started later. peach.jpg?w=408

I never realized how short their romance was until the ending of the novel. The sensuality, the sex, the kissing was intense and that's all that matters. Quality over quantity. Each touch, each whisper, each caress advanced the plot until the climax. No pun intended. Oliver tells Elio he's getting married and just like that, I can feel myself spinning in disappointment as if I was Elio.

...then, just this once, turn to me, even in jest, or as an afterthought, which would have meant everything to me when we were together, and, as you did back then, look me in the face, hold my gaze, and call me by your name”

Right then and there, even as Elio ages, I still see the 17 year old Elio at the beginning of the book. The Elio who was not sure of himself, the Elio that cried as Oliver sensually ate the peach right in front of him, the Elio who felt one with his lover as he called him by his name.

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Americandragon

• Jochie

• auser

Thank you for the review. This story really touched me like no others.

That last sentence of the book make me gasping for air, I felt like being being struck by lightning. All of elio feelings for all of those years so deeply combined in that sentence. I never cried, really never, I get glassy eyes yes but never cried when I read or watched film. But this story really make me feel like it's my heart who got broken.

Just read yours and writing this already make me cry again >_

thank you for tagging me! & for the review - the quote at the end.. yep, it broke my heart & all that was in it. Reading about the book again with all of those pictures from the movie.. yep, not going to forget this one any time soon.

p.s. I blush when I look at peaches now

- - - Updated - - -

Was that the italian cover? an undersell if I ever saw one xD

Your welcome. Yes it's the Italian cover.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for the review. This story really touched me like no others.

That last sentence of the book make me gasping for air, I felt like being being struck by lightning. All of elio feelings for all of those years so deeply combined in that sentence. I never cried, really never, I get glassy eyes yes but never cried when I read or watched film. But this story really make me feel like it's my heart who got broken.

Just read yours and writing this already make me cry again >_

I don't mean to rub salt in your wound, but the author originally intended to have Oliver die at the end of the novel. :(

That's true. I thought Oliver really loved Elio. It felt as if my heart was breaking along with Elio's.

It felt as if my heart was breaking along with Elio's.

Indeed, I cried for three days after reading and watched the movie.

In a way we've been Elio once. to love someone until the feeling is overwhelming, almost feverish, obsession with their existence.

I don't think Oliver necessarily betrayed Elio.. It sucks, it's heartbreaking, but at the end of the day he didn't own or even promise Elio anything. They hadn't decided to be exclusive, never made any plans and never even agreed on anything to last longer than the summer.

So yep, it hurt as hell and was very disappointing, but I'm not ready to blame Oliver for everything going wrong. Unfortunately, it was just a realistic depiction of what happens with summer romances. I think they would had better chances if they lived at the same place and even better chances if the society was more accepting of homosexual relationships.

I do think it affected Elio more than it did Oliver because he was much less extraverted, had much less friends and was much younger.. so it would make sense that he wouldn't recover/move on as easily. I suspect he is an INFP and a big romantic. I would know, being one myself.:)

I agree with you there

. They never promised anything, even when they knew that Elio going to move to the state the next year, they didn't promise to be together again.

And when I said that I rather that he died is more out of selfishness, to think that if he died it might hurt a little bit less.

Just because there no promises, because you knew it's gonna end, because you understand. Doesn't mean you except it, you can't help feelings left behind and hurt

- yep, that's the part that made me realize there wouldn't be a happy ending - when they didn't even try to make plans for the next year, when being together could be pretty realistic.

And yep, of course, I know how much it hurt. I'm sure/I hope it wasn't easy for Oliver either.. I mean - what was the alternative there? Relationships are difficult already, and if you add having to fight for society's acceptance, the age difference & the distance.. I'm thinking Oliver got married so quickly just to get over Ellio easier.. But yep, it's such a pity, because they had something truly special going on.

My Youtube feed keeps suggesting me the interviews/scenes from the movie.. it doesn't understand that just seeing the actors' faces hurt my poor fragile heart xD

I don't think Oliver betrayed Elio either. He never led him on, but it was inevitable that one of them would end up heartbroken. Their love was beautiful. We got to grow with Elio which makes Elio's sadness all the more devastating.