Your Hidden Gems/Underrated Manga

auser

What are some of the underrated manga that you know of? A manga that you truly love and treasure, but that either tends to fly under the radar, has an unfairly low rating or even both? Something that you feel doesn't get the attention it deserves?

For me, my go-to advice is always "Evergreen Days" by Sato Tsubame.. It's a sensei x student story, but it's so different from all the other ones out there! A beautiful, slowly-paced, a bit melancholic, charming, (dare I say it?) realistic depiction of what it's like to fall in love. I love it, but I do realize that it's possible that it's just me. Hey, that's why it's not that famous!:D

I do have other recommendations, but I have to go through my files first to remember them.^^

Anyways, what are your hidden gems?

- - - Updated - - -

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.
created!! should we move here?xD I can't wait for your lists!!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• auser

• KatieMH25!

• voide

• iheartyokozawa

i know i have a few before i sign up YO. but i already forgot all about them argh.. i know i should have myanimelist acc but i'm so bad at tracking my online acc. but i'll find it again. & share them here. in the meantime, guys, please share yours :D

thanks

for tagging me. i wanna see
list too!

I think I've read Evergreen Days but I didn't enjoy it. The story and art along with the pacing was too slow and not explicit enough for my TASTES :( Sorry

lol

Anyways, here is my top 10 underrated manga that I wanted to share with you guys!) Some you may of heard of but they don't seem to be popular on myanimelist.net)

Not in any order:-

1.Afuresou na Pool

2.Chidori-san Ke ni Katte, Gravity Eyes, Hell & Heaven (plus any other manga by Fuwa Shinri is underrated as she's not very famous lol)

3.Cat and Dogs!

4.Ai ga Kami wo Korosu Toki

5.Aijin & Go Con - Gokujou Rakuen Tours (both by Nishimura, Shuuko)

6.Aiso Tsukashi

7.Anata no Tonari ni Suwarasete

8. Castle Mango

9. Dog Style

10. Solo Sex

And I think I'll add a bonus one or two hehe Which would be Kumo no Ue de Kiss wo Shiyou and VS Goshujinsama (but any manga by Kanzaki Takashi is super awesome lol)

Ah, darn. There's just so many that I've read that are not as popular as they should be but I can't really list them all here! Lol

I have a text document with all of my manga:) It's now in quadruple digits xD THIS I keep, the actual important information - not so much..^^

but i hope you do find your stuff..^^

Yep, that's why "Evergreen Days" isn't the most famous manga out there:) But for me it's perfect xD

Can't wait to see the rest of your list (I'll update my response once you update your list :D)

I think I've read Evergreen Days but I didn't enjoy it. The story and art along with the pacing was too slow and not explicit enough for my TASTES :( Sorry
lol

Anyways, here is my top 10 underrated manga that I wanted to share with you guys!) Some you may of heard of but they don't seem to be popular on myanimelist.net)

1.Afuresou na Pool

2.Chidori-san Ke ni Katte, Gravity Eyes, Hell & Heaven (plus any other manga by Fuwa Shinri is underrated as she's not very famous lol)

3.Cat and Dogs!

6.Aiso Tsukashi

8. Castle Mango

9. Dog Style

10. Solo Sex

And I think I'll add a bonus one or two hehe Which would be Kumo no Ue de Kiss wo Shiyou and VS Goshujinsama (but any manga by Kanzaki Takashi is super awesome lol)

Ah, darn. There's just so many that I've read that are not as popular as they should be but I can't really list them all here! Lol

I'm so happy to see Dog Style, Gravity Eyes and Castle Mango get some love! I think they used to be pretty popular, at least I used to see them being recommended quite a lot, but less now and there are nowhere as famous as they should be!!:)

I'm so sleepy right now, but I will go through your list with my full attention tomorrow morning xD

Thank you so much for taking your time and creating this!!! It's awesome awesome awesome:D

OK

&
There you both go. I really enjoyed reading all these mangas :) They are not dark but comedy dramas about everything; office romances, yakuza trouble, teenage high schoolers, college students and assorted others! I'm into the light stuff that has elements of dating and lots of smutty scenes, sorry if you don't like any of them! Lol

guys... castle mango is one of my fave (cries). i'm so happy to meet you guys here aah.. and wow, i'm going to find out those manga later. thanks so much, guys!!

well, we're Weirdos Anonymous after all:D and I'm really happy to have met you too, guys!;) You're super sweet and tonight was so fun!!

I do apologize that I mention you in 3 different threads every five minutes the last few days, heh, it's part of my love^^)

(P.S. I will get a goodnight sleep and edit it out if it's too weird xD)

You too^^ I wonder if it's like morning where you're (heck, it's almost morning where I am:D)

well, it's the afternoon here, but I just woke up thanks to my night on yaoiotaku.. I'm lucky it's Sunday!:D

I'm not sure how underrated it is, but I ever saw it being recommended somewhere once (to me, after I specifically asked:D), so here it is:

Thank you my God by Kawai Hideki - the story went completely in a different direction, not the one I expected. It was sad (more the atmosphere rather than the story), very beautiful and sweet.:) I also really enjoy stories involving ranaways and travelers, so it was right for me.:)

And

as far as I remember, no rape, more shounen ai than yaoi.:)

I'm happy to have met you guys too!! The three of us are very similar yet very different and that's what truly makes us weirdos lol you guys can happily tag me in any post too and I'll try to reply back :)

Thanks for liking my list! What about you guys? Do you have any other underrated manga you'd like to share? O.o

Ooooh, I've never heard of that manga KinkyMochi. Really, I'm more into yaoi than Shounen-Ai though I have read a few SA ones but not sure if they are underrated or popular-:

1. Jinjuu Houretsuden

2.Komatta Toki ni wa Hoshi ni Kike!

3.Saiyaku wa Boku o Suki Sugiru (its ongoing still but really good)

4.Koori no Mamono no Monogatari (I think this one is popular lol)

5. Kohitsuji Project (unfinished coz the author died. I really wish someone else could pick it up)

6. Aozora no Sunda Iro wa (I think this one is pretty popular too as it's the first SA I read after someone suggested it)

7.Okujou Fuukei

I might have read a few others (out of hundreds, I can't really remember) but these ones stick out the most for me. :)

BTW, it's Sunday afternoon right now too where I am! Hope you both had a good sleep last night!!

ah i like the sound of that.. i'll check that out later. thanks for the recc. by now you already know what my reading preferences. no rape. that's my first rule.. other than that just give it to me. i'll find it out myself :D

i am still searching my manga lol i completely forgot all the titles.. & now all i have in my memories are the drawing style & a little bit of the storyline. ugh i'm bad at remembering titles, names, & dates :/

also, you got another list!! how great is that? thanks mate for all these manga :)

lol

1.Afuresou na Pool

3.Cat and Dogs!

6.Aiso Tsukashi

8. Castle Mango

9. Dog Style

10. Solo Sex

Ok, finally I have time to go through your list! Super super excited!:D

Never heard of Afuresou na Pool, Chidori-san Ke Ni Kagitte and Cats & Dogs, so they are added to the list!!

I do love love love love Castle Mango and Dog Style! They're amazing, no?

I've read the others but I don't have much to say about them - neither good or bad. But tastes differ and I'm very difficult with manga and I don't like that many, so that's probably just me.:)

Thank you again for your recommendation!:D I have an exciting night of reading ahead:D

On to list number two!:D

I didn't use to like Shounen ai either, and even now I mostly prefer yaoi, but (mostly thanks to Korean webtoons) by now I've found so many truly good shounen ai, I simply can't ignore this genre any more:D Besides, it's a very western term, Japanese don't separate their BL manga into yaoi and shounen ai, so sometimes, when you least expect it, shounen ai will surprise you with some smut too:D

Besides, Thank you My God is still very much yaoi, it just focuses more on the relationship aspect than maybe some others:D

I do have recommendations, but for me the idea of underrated manga is something that you truly truly love and which nobody has heard of, and there can't be that many of that:D at least not on my list:D but I will look through my list after I finish this post:D

I have heard a lot a lot about Saiyaku Wa Boku O Suki Sugiru, but something always prevented me from giving it a chance.. I think your recommendation might have been the final push:D Thank you!

I never knew why Kohitsuji Project stopped so abruptly, thank you for letting me know:'( It's a truly good one! One of the first ones I've read, it collected all of the cliches known to men, but still was so sweet and cute and funny that I loved it!

I've never read Okujou Fuukei, and now I'm deciding whether or not it's worth a shot. I've read other manga by this mangaka (most notably Dear Green), and I find her work to be soo boring.. I feel so bad because so many people love her, but I just can't..^^ But then again - it's just me having a really really bad taste, I get it.:D Have you read other stuff by her? What do you think?

And heh it's Tuesday afternoon here:D But no magic, I just took too long with the answer:D

Yep, I know and respect this rule! So I will never be able to recommend any of my favorites:D But I was also thinking that maybe you would enjoy shounen ai manga more, because there is pretty much no rape ever:D And they're much lighter than yaoi most of the time (a few exceptions spring to mind, but they are rare..)

pal, thanks for respecting that for me : )

i've read a handful yaoi which contains rape in it & i thought 'nah, there wasn't much i'd missed if i didn't read it anymore'. shounen-ai is not too bad actually. i liked them. ah, i've just read Sayonara Game by Minaduki Yuu. & i liked it sm. have you read it? the baseball bg story really interesting. i hope to read more stuff like this :D

Ok, more recommendations from me. FYI, I'm really struggling with the definition of underrated here.. Mostly because I'm never on the manga download part of the forum, so I have no idea what it is popular and what's not. So I will post what I think is underrated and you will let me know if I'm wrong:D ((Also, I checked and used what has less than 1500 votes on mangago:)

1)Katakoi Kazoku - incredibly and unbelievably cute, slightly disturbing (casual incest), but i'm already immune

2)Kyuuso Ha Cheese no Yume Omiru - I didn't think this one is underrated per say, but it's not that discussed either (and it has less votes on mangago than 1500), and it's really really good. I love it, I love the sequel. It's heartbreaking in the best possible way.

how are you with blackmail?

3) Sora o Daite Oyasumi - my absolute favorite manga ever tragic, beautiful and twisted.

4) Umi No Juunin To Wa Koi Wa Shinai - 7/10 a fisherman and a crossdresser... for some reason, feelings..

no sex

5)Ronald no Yabou - do you like you bdsm insanely funny? If so, this is the one

6)M Nano? Baka Nano? Hentai Nano? - when I came home, the pervert was there

7) Sukijanaitte Hyakkai Tonaeta - the most messed up omegaverse out there with a talking butt

8) Ganbare! Nakamura-kun!! - it's new, so it will get more popular, but in case you've missed it. Very funny:D

no smexy times

9) Sentimental Garden Lover - the only thing I remember about this manga is that it had the funniest ever bloodrelated incest story:D

10) Ikenai Mousou Fudanshi - " not every fudanshi is gay, but some are most definitely are:D"

definitely consensual:D

11) Yume no Kuni in My Darling - I loved the first story, the second one was too real and the third one was meh..

consensual

12) Jin to Neko wa Yobu to Konai - bittersweet. Not sure if it's underrated or unknown

13) Ai No Bousou Ressha - truly truly underrated and underread. It's just incredibly funny:D

And I think I will stop here, because I already spent too much time on this list:D If at least one or two manga on this list will be new to you, I will be happy:D

while I was trying to rate this manga for you, I realized I didnt remember the exact plot for half of them and I couldn't even remember if the sex was consensual or not:D Maybe I should reread my own list:) None of them are really really rapey, but they is for sure some dubcon somewhere
- I appreciated your list even more after I made mine:) The manga on your list is really unknown, I think mine are much more popular:D I've read quite a few under the radar manga, but most of the time I didn't like them that much, so they're not on the list:) I'm too picky:D

Do you know it has a sequel Change World? I've read the manga and I think I'm half-way done with the sequel.. I think it's finished already though:) (I'm following more than 200 ongoing manga, so it's very difficult to catch up on every single one xD)

And yep, I enjoyed this one:D (But i honestly don't remember anything about it, only that I had a good feeling:D)

Rape isn't one of my kinks so I could do without it as well, but then I would have to live without Caste Heaven, and I can't do that:D ;:

I will go now through my list above and mark all consensual ones for you in case you ever decide to give some of them a chance:D

talking butt? lmao seriously, that sounds fun. i think i like to try #10 bc that looks funny too. also i've read a bit of Getsuei by the same mangaka for manga #12...

updated:

gosh, mate. you don't have to tag me in every line there haha that so much works but thank you so much, okay. i'll definitely check them all out & let you know later. thanks!! : )

the talking but was the best part of the manga:) Really, everything else was too much even for me..:( And I love #10:D so it's a good choice:D as for #12, I love the mangaka, but Gestuei wasn't her best story. I love Bokura No Mitsudomoe Sensou by her, it was incredibly awesome (just read the first panels for the first chapter - I mean it's awesome, no? But Bokura... is too popular to be in this thread and too dubcon for me to really recommend it to you wholeheartedly:D It is incredibly funny though:D

updated: oh crap you didn't get 10 mentions for one post there, I hope? aah sorry ahahah you're the only person I know who needs a consensual check, so..^^

wait, am i the only one who doesn't read rapey stuff? seriously guys haha.. not gonna lie tho. really, rape whether in manga or book or even fanfiction never amused me. i cringed every time. dub-con is another story tho. it's a little bit tricky. so i would say, i'm okay w dub-con. but clear rapey stuff, please don't recommend them to me :D

ps: no i didn't get 10 notifications. but i can imagine how hard to edit that stuff tho huu..

Wow your list is amazing! I don't think I've read half of them so I'll look into them shortly (right now I'm reading a shoujo manwha hehe!) Also I really enjoyed reading Cast Heaven but I'm not into rape or torture either so
you are not the only one who doesn't like it. I've read some truly disturbing manga that I've had to drop coz of rape and victims of it but it never entertained me. For some reason though, I do like how - in yaoi at least - the victims of rape fall in love with their attackers because most of the time, they were already attracted by them before they were attacked (and weirdly because they are men they forgive the other and I can't see a girl doing that) - these kind of stories I can handle but otherwise I really don't :(

Have you guys ever read Seven Days by Tachibana Benio & Takarai Rihito? That's a really good SA manga :) There's another manga Gosan no Heart that reminds me of seven days which is pretty good too ^^

Yes, I've read Dear Green by Fujiyama Hyouta too and have to agree that it was boring lol But I really enjoyed reading Honki ja Neekara by her (the main guys are awkward because one is straight old man and the other is teenage boy in high school and how they get together is cute) and I think Okujou Fuukei is cute because it starts with a one sided crush of one boy for another until they get together in the end ^^ I think you should definitely read both of these mangas by her coz they were good and not boring at all ^^

Ps What is Dubcon? O.o

I'm very curious what you will think:D And oh wow I can't read shoujo at all after reading so much yaoi.. I only enjoyed maybe 2 shoujo in my life, and I've tried so many.. What are you reading? Is it any good?

I've read Seven Days, incredibly cute:) And it's shounen Ai:) And of course of course of course I've read Gosan no Heart. I've read and reread everything by Chise Ogawa, she is an absolute goddess:D Do you know there a spin off and two little official djs? The spin off (in my opinion!) is even better than Gosan no Heart and it contains (oh so rare:D) reverse rape (when uke does it:D)

Yeah, it's weird but it's the same for me - I would never read anything involving a girl getting raped, but a guy.. I'm so sorry for this mindset:D

Dubcon is dubious consent.. All of those stories when uke is saying "no, please stop, ah ah" and is moaning and kissing at the same time and you don't really know if he is actually consenting to the sex or not:D

I had time xD My priorities in life are a bit off, so I always have time for pointless stuff:D And no, I don't think you're the only one who is against non-consensual yaoi (I mean, it was my exact complain about Hidoku Shinaide in another thread, how hypocritical of me^^), but I only know like 4 or 5 people on this website so far^^