Don't Step into the Light ((For Haku-chan!~ 18+! ))

Kulric

Max raced down the alleyway, his dirty tennis shoes getting soaked in the rain puddles. He turned a corner and darted down a narrower part, doing his best to squeeze through.

Then a giggle came. An eerie little girl's giggle like she was playing.

Which they were.

Max smiled to himself a bit and giggled back. "Oh Anne Marie~!" He called out and then ran out the other side. It was then a see-through little girl floating towards him. Her eyes were a bright yellow and her aura a pale blue.

Her body was a blur however, so you couldn't see her very well. But she followed Max with a haunting smile. A little ghost girl, Max's friend, the only one. He darted behind a wall and panted. No one else could see ghosts but him. Ever since he was five he had seen them around. Only ghosts, thankfully and not poltergeists or even worse.

He smiled and then ran out into the street and darted across the road. Cars honked but he ignored him. He was going to win.

For a good half hour he played with her then stopped and smiled, holding out his hand. "Gunna go home now." He said. She put her hand to his and he felt a small chill. "Goodnight, Max." She cooed.

He waved to her then ran off to his apartment.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kulric

• KohakuShadow

Takumi walked down the street, he slid his hands into the pockets of his jacket. His tie hung loosely as he had left the office. But it wasn't long til his paused at the vibration of his phone from his pocket. His eyes narrowed a bit as he saw the name on it, Tch....he sure didn't waste any time.... he thought as he answered it. "Yes....?" he said sharply as he continued down the street slowly. "Hmm....I just left.....No, I don't have plans....Sure.....yes I have my laptop with me.....go ahead and send me the details, I'll take a look....Got it....Bye...." He sighed as he hung up the phone and slid it back into his pocket. I should have known.....oh well, work is work.... he thought as he continued down the street. It was annoying to get calls after he had left the office, but at the same time, he brought his work home with him, so his annoyance was purely just how he was.

He paused as he heard a car horn go off, he looked over and spotted a young man running across the road, he narrowed his eyes and shook his head Tch....Really.... he thought but paused and squinted his eyes, he shook his head again and mumbled to himself "It can't be...." Though with the work he did, the possibility was there. He shifted a bit before continuing on towards his apartment building. (OMG! I'm sorry this sucked for a first post. >.

((I loved it. I love this. ARIGATO!

Max opened the door to 303 and jumped into his bed and sighed happily. It wasn't much... but it was home. His parents had had tons of money when they died... He had stolen all of it and snuck out that horrible night. Max frowned. No... he didn't want to think about that. Not now. He turned on his side and curled up.... Next month's rent was due in a week. He still hadn't gotten a single job he had applied for.

Now he was very poor and struggling to even eat some days.

It was very quiet in the small studio apartment. Too quiet. It left Max alone with his thoughts. He whimpered and held his head, trying to block out the past. But soon he fell asleep as a thunderstorm past by outside.

The dreams didn't help. Nightmares swarmed his mind as he fought his inner demons.

Takumi yawned as he made it to the apartment building. He leaned against the wall as the elevator went up to the third floor.

Too many thoughts went through his head but he reminded himself that his current focus was on the incoming file. A new case, he enjoyed the alone time, but he enjoyed it when he had a "puzzle" to solve.

He opened his eyes a bit as he heard the ding of the elevator and the doors opened. He pushed off the wall and walked out. The hall was quiet as he looked around and made his way do his apartment. 307 read the door as he pulled his key out of his suit jacket pocket. He cursed under his breath as he struggled to open the door God dammit....I've told that lazy bastard a thousand times to replace this lock.... He pushed the door open finally and walked into his apartment, closing the door hard behind him. "Tch....whatever...." he muttered as he locked the door. He hated to make noise cause it meant the neighbors would come by asking what happened, but he was busy.

He removed his jacket and loosened the tie around his neck. He removed the laptop from his bag and opened it, sure enough the new case had been sent, his eyes flashed with excitement as he made himself a cup of coffee and sat back down. He opened the file and started to skim through the information. "A child....huh....?" he muttered as he took a sip.

Max woke up around five in the evening to a loud bang. He jolted a little, then yawned and opened his eyes and stared up at the ceiling a bit longer before getting up. He scratched his stomach and stretched out, his bare feet arching off the floor as he did. He wanted to stay up late tonight so he made a huge pot of coffee and grabbed his biggest mug.

He sipped the hot drink and watched the time go by on the clock of the microwave. With a sigh he went back to his bed and sat cross legged and pulled out his laptop. He opened it and read off just where he left off. He was looking at recipes to egg bakes and desserts galore. He loved baking and cooking. He wanted to go to college for it.. but of course he had no real money for that.

He messed around a bit on the computer then filled out some applications online before shutting it down. His coffee was gone by now, so he refilled his mug and then went to his window, sitting on the armchair. It was still raining out. Downpouring even. He heard the thunder and smiled to himself... but then looked down into his cup. Everything was haunting him lately.... He was so lonely.

He missed his family but he couldn't risk finding the rest of them. All of his brothers were in gang wars and drug deals. His parents had been dead for two years now. And he still blamed himself.. It was his fault.

A sudden chime made him open his eyes. It was his cell phone. He whipped it out and hit 'talk'. "Hello?"

"Do you have the money?" Came a gruff voice.

Max sighed. "No Mr. Albers, I don't have the money yet. I'm still looking around for a job."

"Che. Better have it within the week or your ass is getting kicked out." He hung up.

Max shakily closed the phone. He needed to get out of here. He put his mug down, grabbed his leather jacket and ran out of the apartment, locking it quickly.

Takumi rested his chin in his hand as he looked over the case file. It was the usual, a sad story, suspicious behavior, strange happenings, he sipped his coffee and sighed. Despite his usual nature the cases never seemed to get easier, though no one at work would notice because he hid it well. Once he completed reading the file he closed it and sighed, sitting back and finished his coffee.

I should get the actual file.....he would have put it on my desk.... he mulled over in his mind. Maybe I should just head over to the office and get it.... he sipped his coffee and stared up at the ceiling. He finished his cup and set it down on the coffee table and stood up. I'll go get it.....damn bastard knew I wouldn't be able to resist.... he thought sharply as he grabbed his jacket and umbrella.

He exited his apartment and locked the door before heading down the hall.

Max ran out the door and around the apartment building in the rain, pulling his hood up and tightening the strings. Perhaps he'd go to the park.

Once he reached it he brushed the raindrops off the swing and sat down. He started kicking the gravel a bit. He let himself get soaked. Eventually he sighed and got up and started to walk home after a good hour. He walked calmly across the street but then remembered he was close to his old home. He panicked and looked up, only to see two headlights come at him full speed and a very loud honk.

He yelped and covered his face a bit, but the car screeched to a halt mere millimeters from the boy.

He looked and let out a shaky breath. "HEY WHAT THE HELL!?" He bellowed angrily, slamming his fist down on the expensive looking car. The man got out and then started yelling at him about how children shouldn't be in the street. "I'm not a child, bastard!" He spat back. "You were going fifty in a thirty zo---" He suddenly felt his head snap to the side and his eyes widened. "Brat! Go home to your filthy family!" The rich man snarled and got back into his car and drove off. Max held his cheek where the man had slapped him and looked down. He really needed to get a job and get out of this area...

With a sigh he turned and walked back to the park and crawled into a tunnel... going to sleep until it was nighttime.

Takumi opened the umbrella as he stepped outside. He walked briskly down the street as he looked around. The rain was nice, he enjoyed it, it made everything clean and cool. He preferred the rain a lot especially since it meant there weren't that many people.

It wasn't long until he made it back to the office. He pulled out his badge and swiped it along the sensor that was by the door. The light turned green and he opened the door. The night time security guard looked up from the magazine he was reading and laughed "The captain told me you might be by."

Takumi's eye twitched a little but he sighed and nodded. "Damn him, he knew I wouldn't be able to resist...." The security guard laughed again and waved to the elevator "Well, go on then." Takumi nodded and made his way to the office. He sighed as he went his office and looked at the file that sat on his desk, complete with a note from his boss 'Enjoy Mr. Sapora.' Takumi stared at the note and sighed as he slid the file into his briefcase. He wasn't really annoyed, everyone knew he was a workaholic, but he was also wise to the fact that his boss used that to his advantage.

He said goodnight to the security guard as he left and made his way down the street. By this point it was dark, he yawned and made his way home. He cut through the park when he spotted a car almost run down a boy. He frowned as he watched and sighed as he followed the kid and stopped by the tunnel, "Oi, you gonna sleep all night here?" He said sharply.

Max was curled up with his hood up still, nodding off. But then he heard a voice and it scared him bad enough that he jolted and bonked his head on the metal roof of the tunnel. "Ow..." He grunted then his eyes adjusted as he saw who was before him. He looked important. So what was his point of asking someone like Max where he was going to sleep.

He raised an eyebrow then got out from the other side and glared a bit. "I'll sleep where I want." He said bitterly and hugged himself. His hoodie was now soaking wet and he was freezing cold. He had to get home.

He eyed the man a bit more before turning on his heels and marching away towards his apartment, trying to ignore the person behind him.

He was curious though.. had the man really cared? Or was he just annoyed?

Takumi stood where he was and stared at the young man. He held the umbrella over and sighed, he watched as the young man stood up and gave him the typical attitude that brats seemed to give him. He rolled his eyes a bit as the young man snapped at him. "Fine, whatever...." he snapped back as he watched the young man leave in a huff.

He shook his head and continued heading down towards the direction of the apartment building. He sighed as he shook his head and tried to keep a bit of distance between them. Remember you said you would stop trying to act like you give a shit about others...? he thought to himself Yeah but the kid looked pathetic.... He shook his head again as he snorted softly at the thought. Stop pretending like you have a soft spot....

Max started to notice the guy following him. He grew more and more irritated until he turned around and barked, "What are you doing following me?" He crossed his arms over his chest and stared at him. Then again... this man had paused in his daily life to make sure he was okay...right?

He softened a bit. "I... I'm sorry. I didn't mean to snap... Just been hard lately.." He muttered more to himself than to the stranger. He scratched his head and then wrinkled his nose. "Oh no.." He groaned and sneezed. He shivered and then turned on his heel. "I'm sorry but I think I'm getting a cold. I need to get home...." He bit his lip, feeling a bit bad of just leaving completely, but he took off running.

But not for long. Soon he felt everything drain from his face and he wobbled in his running. He suddenly huffed and leaned against the fence. Great... he was sick. He saw his apartment just a little bit away and started towards it, trying to keep warm..

Takumi's mind went over the information he read, he was interested in seeing what was in the file, that the initial case report didn't have. His thoughts were soon disturbed by the sound of the same brat who had yelled at him for feigning concern. "Excuse me....?" he said as he stared at the young man "I'm walking home, why would I want to follow you?" he said simply as he stood relaxed with his briefcase in his free hand and kept the umbrella over him with the other.

He continued to stare at him as the young man apologized and started to explain himself. The excuses were typical but he shrugged and shook his head "I'm used to it, it's fine." he said matter-of-factly, he continued to stand until the young man ran off. He blinked a few times before rolling his eyes, shaking his head and continued towards the apartment building. That was strange... he thought to himself.

He continued walking to the apartment building at his usual pace, it wasn't long until he could see the building and the silhouette of a familiar person, You have got to be kidding me!!! the voice in his head screamed, while his face remained blank. He sighed and continued to walk towards the young man and the buildings entrance.

Max went inside, only to see the man ... still behind him!? He frowned then opened the door for him. "You... live here or something?" He asked softly, wiping his bangs from his eyes. Once inside he shrugged off his hoodie. He started towards the stairs to get to his home, but kept looking at the man curiously. There was...something off about him. That's when he felt a chill. He shivered violently and saw some white wisps go behind the man. A ghost?

Max opened his mouth to speak, but then shut it. He would just seem weird if he said the truth. "Um... what floor do you live on?" He asked. Maybe this ghost was connected to this man.... And if that was the case he could only bring the ghost to peace if he figured out what it wanted.

"I'm Max.... and again, I'm sorry for snapping..." He cautiously put out his hand for the other to take it.

Takumi sighed as he walked up to the entrance and looked at the young man, he closed his umbrella and shook off the excess water before bowing his head and entering, "Thank you..." he said as he went past him and paused. He turned around and nodded as he shook a bit of the moisture that had collected on his ponytail. "As a matter of fact I do." he said simply as he stood still. He looked at the young man and tilted his head slightly. There was something curious about the way he looked at him, he narrowed his eyes a bit and slowly looked behind him. He didn't see anything, but there was something a bit suspicious. Perhaps I'm just tired.... he thought as he looked back at the young man.

"I live on the Third Floor." he said as he headed to the elevator. He stopped again and looked back at him "What about you?"

He paused and shrugged, "It happens, don't worry about it." He said as he took the young mans hand and shook it.

With a chipper smile Max shook his hand back. "Really? Me too. We're neighbors." He grinned a little, happy to know he wasn't going to be fully alone in this place. "Maybe I could invite you to my place for cocoa tonight? I feel bad still and I wanna make it up to you."

He was partially telling the truth. Really he just wanted to see what he could know about the man and the possibility of making peace with the spirit that was lingering about. But the spirit had disappeared as of now, so Max wondered if maybe it was just a spirit passing on already instead of staying around the apartment complex. He thought for a minute, lost deep in thought as he pulled his hand back and bit his lip. "Yes... maybe so.." He muttered to himself. Then he snapped out of it. "Right then! Come to my place! P-Please?" He added, feeling a little weird inviting this stranger so excitedly into his home.

Takumi blinked as the young man shook his hand and excitedly told him that he lived on the same floor. Hmm....just my luck... He blinked again and looked to the side "Uh...." he muttered really wanting to say no. He just wanted to get working on the case but the young man seemed sincere. He couldn't put his finger on it, but it was like there was something nagging at him to get working on the case. Like there was something that was trying to push him to work rather than indulge the request of the young man. But just as he had the desire to reject the request the feeling seemed to fade.

Huh.....weird.....that feeling.....subsided..... he thought as his mind quickly went over things in his mind. He sighed and said finally "Alright, I just need to drop this off...." he said indicating the briefcase in his hand.

Max perked up instantly. "Really? Great! I'm in room 303. Just stop by once you're ready." He darted up the stairs then, heading to his apartment.

He unlocked the door and kept it unlocked then rounded the corner into the kitchen to start up the coffee. Soon enough the smell of hazelnut made the apartment smell amazing. Max rested his head against the window as he tried to figure out what was going on. "I wonder if he knows about ghosts and spirits..." He thought to himself, huffing and leaving the window foggy. He wiped it with the sleeve of his sweater then picked up a few things before the man got there. His apartment wasn't so much dirty as it was plain. There wasn't much to look at besides a couch and an old TV he only used for video games.

He sat down at the table, playing with his hot cup of coffee and waited for the stranger to come back. All the while pondering why a ghost would hang around such a guy...

Takumi blinked and stood where he was as the young man left. He sighed and shook his head as he finally made his way to his apartment. You really are a sucker.... he thought to himself Shut up....he wasn't going to let it go until he apologized.... he sighed as he made it to his apartment and opened the door. It's more unsettling that my urge to work has subsided.....perhaps it's just a sign to relax for a moment..... he snorted and laughed at the thought. He was given these jobs because he was a workaholic. It was also because he was the only one who was actually believed in these "bizarre" cases. It was a way to make a difference and bring justice to the voiceless, it was strange to others but his boss understood.

"Tch....you're thinking too much about it....just take a breather....." he said out loud to himself. He sat the briefcase down on his desk and rested his hand on it, "I'll just stay up later to make up for this wasted time...." he said quietly. He sighed and set his umbrella down by the door and headed for the door again. He didn't want to keep the young man waiting too long. He locked the door behind him and he headed down the hall. Huh....I wonder why I haven't seen this kid until today....especially if he lives on the same floor.... he thought to himself as he knocked on the door.

Still thinking about the spirit, Max jumped up as he heard the knock on his door. "Coming!" He called and ran to it. He peeked through the peephole, just in case, and smiled as he saw the man he was waiting for. He opened the door and smiled. "Come on in. Coffee is on the table." He explained, going over and pointing to the chair opposite from where he was sitting. He sat down and looked up at the other curiously. "So ..um... I never got your name." He ran a hand through his thick black hair, making it stick up even more than it normally did. He patted it down however and took a sip of his overly sugared drink.

Takumi looked at his watch for a moment while he waited and slid his hands in his pockets as he heard the young man answer. He looked around and looked back as the door opened. He entered slowly and looked around quickly before looking over to the table. "Ah, thank you." he said softly as he walked over to the table. He observed the apartment quickly as he made his way to the table. He snapped out of his instincts as he sat down and looked over, "I never gave it." he said simply as he settled in the chair. After a long pause and took a sip of the coffee he responded again, "It's Takumi Sapora." He looked up from the cup and set it down, "What's your name?"

Max smiled as the stranger came into his home. He watched him look around and then noticed the spirit behind him again. He felt a chill in the air and his breath showed for a second... Wow... this spirit was strong.

He couldn't see if it was a male or female though. It was just a blur. Max had to find out quickly about this man. "Max. Max Hollowell." He chirped and then eyed the spirit searching the house.

Now that was curious. Why would the spirit leave his chosen victim and/or person to venture around Max's house? Max saw the spirit go into his bedroom. It did not come out for a good fifteen minutes.

"So..." Max said, taking his eyes off the bedroom door finally.. "Where do you work?"

Takumi blinked a few times as he hid his mouth behind the cup, he closed his eyes and felt something. Tch....I guess I will be pulling an all nighter....or something.... he thought as he lowered the cup and his eyes shifted to the side. He scanned around as best he could without turning his head, but he was brought back to the young man as he responded, "Max Hollowell....." he said thoughtfully, "It's a pleasure to meet you." he didn't know how sincere it sounded but there was a part of him deep down that probably meant it.

He stared at the coffee in his cup for a moment before looking back up as he heard the question. "I work downtown...." he said, "I'm a PI...." he trailed off and smiled a bit as he finished his statement, he amused himself when he mentioned that, especially since people typically just thought he was a Private Investigator. But in his case, it meant he was a Paranormal Investigator. He knew people didn't understand, or want to understand what it meant to be a Paranormal Investigator, but it was something he wasn't comfortable talking about unless someone expressed a genuine interest.