How do you choose your manga?

squishie

Hi everyone! With so many shounen ai and yaoi mangas out there, how do you choose which one to read next?

Do you go based off the cover? At random? The author? Reviews / ratings???

Thanks!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rraahh

• scottwm

• usagi69

• Black Rose

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.

For me,I chose it based on the cover and then I would read it's summary to decide if i 'm gonna continue reading it or not

For me it depends on what kind of story i would like to read

sometimes i want to read an innocent love story and sometimes i want something bold with smut

* Art - I want to read something that wouldn't hurt my eyes.

* Plot - The story should be unique and authentic. I dislike mainstream.

* Number of Chapters - Must be above 4 in case I'll crave for more.

* (Sometimes) Author.

The first thing that will caught my eyes will be the art so I will read it no matter what if it really has a good art.

Second is the plot of course. Mostly, all the yaoi I've read either have a good art and plot so I'm thankful.

Basically, these are all the things I'm looking for. But sometimes I'm craving for a specific genre and I'll just search and read some reviews before reading.

Art! If I like the art then I'd read it regardless of the plot & reviews.

But if I read somewhere that a certain manga is very very super very nice then regardless of the art, I'd read it.

However, it would be a great super plus if the Art is as nice as the plot and vice versa. ^ ^

first i look at the cover and if i like the art, i check the plot and if i like the plot, i go read it ^^ or sometimes, if i'm craving a certain genre, i look only among those mangas and choose one based on the plot :)

Well first of I read it depending on the cover because I look at the art style if it is attractive etc. etc., than next

is if the plot is good

but in most cases If I really like the art I'll read every works of that mangaka whatever plot it have

but I rarely read manga that contains one shots, I would rather like to read a full plotted manga

and I would like to read a completed manga rather than incomplete, but i guess a 4 chaptered manga would do even if it's still not complete ;D;D

i choose depend on the plot

if the plot is great then i can close an eye for the art

some manga i choose because it is from one of my favorite mangaka

and some manga i read is because of the art

The art work, am a sucker for pretty pictures. This has cost me a small wasted fortune over the years, where I have brought a manga, because it looked pretty to flick though in the shop, and when I have gotten home the story has been really, really sh*t, and I've never picked it up again or even finished it. I never learn.

• 3 weeks later...

If I like the work of one author, I usually tend to check out their other works. Then if I'm bored and just want something to read, I go by the description.

• 3 weeks later...

Haha. Ok, here's what I do. I bookmark the manga reader's advanced searches to yaoi and then I read whatever comes up. Sometimes, I stray away from "Tragedy" and "Psychological" because I love those genders so much that I hate it when I read a really terrible one. I'd have a much harder time forgetting about it.

With regards to the art vs. plot, I prefer my manga to have a good plot more. A good plot can make me forget the art. After all, the art part is something that's much easier to improve on with just practice. Coming up with a brilliant story takes more than that.

As for me i choose mangas by plots. Then i see the art . If it is suitable then i go to the kissing/sex part because for me they are REALLY important. Also the author is a big help for me 'cuz she helps me to judge the manga as gloomy,funny etc it helps me get a clear image of her style :hamtaro-005 (22):

Tragic

Cute

Has sickness (rape, cheating, incest, etc.)

Romantic

Realistic.

anything among them.

hmmn... Let's say... anything that has similar feel to Junko's and Miyamoto Kano's works.

The first thing I look at is the art. If the art is nice I'll read the manga no matter the plot and well who doesn't want to see beautifully drawn smut. I might also read other available works from the same author just because I liked the art. Then of course it's the plot. However, if a manga has really interesting plot but also really really poor art I might drop it or it takes me forever and a day to complete it because I just can't. Bad art is bad for my heart. Also if I liked one work of a mangaka I'll read all other available works.

I rarely check reviews these days because they are mostly written for more popular works and as I have already read quite a lot of manga and don't find much new stuff this way. Unless I want to read something specific. Then I'll ask friends and check recommendations.

Summery and /or Mangaka are usually the main significator for me.

The art must be really bad (that is,of course, in my view) to stop me from reading a manga with an interesting plot.

I usually choose based on the cover and the artwork, because it's really hard for me to read a manga with bad or old artwork. -.- then I look at the plot and if it seems interesting to me I'll start to read it, and if I enjoyed the artwork I'll go on and read the rest of the authors completed works. I'm extremely picky with my manga. xD

I usually read manga from the same author and when I want to branch out, I usually choose manga based on the art style. Art style is usually the make-or-break point for me~