OPM (Original Pinoy Music) & Pinoy Pop

Tetsu

SO... I notice there's not a thread for Filipino songs... So here it is... Songs from the Philippines ;)

Sam Conception & Tippy Dos Santos - "DATI"

Gloc-9 & Rico Blanco - "MAGDA"

Yeng Constantino - "CHINITO"

[video=youtube;L-wBl_aynD8]

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tetsu

• STARRK

• AoiKagamine

• Revenga

• 2 months later...

Few Filipino bands that I like. I still have to expand my knowledge in OPM.

Franco

[video=youtube;p-Ogwt1Zk7k]

Up Dharma Down

[video=youtube;DqShm-CnzWk]

Wilabaliw

I started listening to Wilabaliw when one of my bosses during my internship 6 months ago gave me an album as a gift for my 19th birthday. Her brother is the vocalist.

Wolfgang

[video=youtube;-t69_h3UDDs]

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Well.. I just have to say this. We're in another trial of making boyband a thing here in the Philippines. The most famous one is probably BoybandPH of Pinoy Boyband Superstar. But recently I found out there are other boy groups out there. Anyway, I will rant what I think about this groups.

1.) BoybandPH

12112016-BoyBandPh-QC-rmr_3_of_4_2BE46FF9DAC94073960C06E9166ECDE8.jpg

Members: (left to right on the pic)

1.) Tristan Ramirez 2.) Russel Reyes 3.) Niel Murillo 4.) Joao Constancia 5.) Ford Valencia

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.

RANT:

Okay... I followed Pinoy Boyband Superstar ever since auditions. Who wouldn't it was well advertised and Dara of 2NE1 is a judge. Listening to Niel Murillo's audition got me thinking "wow he can sing and has charisma." and watched out for other baes like Mark Oblea, Allen Cecilio, Miko Juarez, Russel Reyes and OMFG my bias Joao Constancia (IDC if you can't sing THAT well but I know you'll improve bebe.)

Well... everything was good after middle rounds since my baes got into top 12... and I was okay with Markus and Henz eliminated.. but WTF Allen Cecilio!? James Ryan doesn't appeal to me tbh. Same with Tristan Ramirez.. Ford is ok, someone I think I will get used to but ughh.. the end of the program is a mess. UGHHH... I'm happy 3 of my baes got into the boyband... but I really hoped Allen and Mark Oblea made it (or Tony Labrusca.)

And to be called BoybandPH... yeah it's VERY well thought name (sarcastically speaking). And the show had the guts to ask the viewers for the band's name ugh. I just don't like it. they probably want the name to be distinctly Filipino but I am 100% sure there's something out there 100% better than BoybandPH. (Think this, do you think Koreans would like BoybandKR? would Japanese like BoybandJP? .... BoybandUS? BoybandUK?). I hope it's just a tentative name. I really hope so.

Finally, the song. "We Made It". When they sang this, one thing went to my mind "Western Boyband". I have nothing against One Direction or any other western boybands... I like some songs they have. It's just that I was expecting a song that would fit the contest "Pinoy Boyband Superstar" or BoybandPH for that matter. They could have just made the song in Filipino language. or used it at least. Sorry I don't like the song. Not because it had western vibe to it, but simply because it's not appealing enough.

Last comment... please, I beg you ABS-CBN do not debut them just yet. Do not expose them into any variety show just yet. Don't squeeze money out of them just because they are popular. Give them at least a year .. better 2 years to train. Unless you want to mess them up.

2.) Nitro

Nitro.jpg

Members: (I don't know who's who yet but they are as follows in no particular order)

Nash, Luise, Ethan, Mark, Justine, Keon and Jhoas

RANT:

I like them. I like the song. The MV made the song too electronic but personally I think they can sing. I would say they need to practice in dancing. A year long dedicated dance workshop would be more than enough. I don't know much about them. They don't look THAT handsome. but I like their .... umm how to say it... I like the youthness... and that they look very Filipino.

I can't say much because I don't know them. But I'm excited to see how far they can reach. Ah, someone looks so young, he reminds me of bambam when GOT7 debuted. But boy I think he has the best vocals.

3.) T.O.P. (Top One Project)

r3VRJ937.jpg

Members: (Recently discovered. I don't know who's who yet except the one in the middle[Joshua])

Adrian Pascual, Mico Cruz, Miko Manguba, Louie Pedroso, and Joshua Jacobe

[video=youtube;ELfOT-Oy9Ug]

RANT:

Okay, How come I didn't know of them until TODAY? They are sooooo underpromoted. Well I know that they do have activities... but fact is, a lot of filipino don't know them. It seems they came from a talent show from which they won and from which their group came to be but it's sad that I haven't heard of them til now. Is it just me? I wonder.

Anyway.. OMG don't you guys spot that cutie in the middle? my god. I don't even need explain that he's gonna be my bias. And he can sing. (sorry joao)

Anyway. I think this is the group that is most prepared right now. Well, I read somewhere that they already had quite some training which is good. It is sad that not many know them. And that some BoybandPH fans bash them.

Ahh I forgot to say, T.O.P. ... at first glance, I thought "Is T.O.P. of BIGBANG so awesome he can make a boyband alone?" xD they really had to use this as name hahaha. Well at least, better than ... nevermind.

Final words. I don't have favorites here. My rants came from a neutral stance. Just like how I both like BTS and GOT7. I hope these groups improve... make it big and change the recent music industry in the country. We have a lot of good singers yet the ones who are given opportunity to sing are people who are already popular (actors etc.)

What do you guys think? Please don't eat me :D

• 1 month later...

I am not into boybands but they look fine. They will do great if they train more just like what you said. I planned to watch BoyBand PH when it started airing unfortunately I didn't get to watch a full episodes just clips from YouTube and it's wasn't always. I am not judging them or what but they really need to hone their talents not just because they look good. In my opinion BoyBandPH first song doesn't sounds good. It will not be known, far from what they want. It happens though not every song can be popular. Maybe it wasn't the right time for them. The song has the hint of boybands song from before. I don't know why. But in my ear it has similarities.

And as for the two boybands I don't know them. I just heard them now. Well, for all them. May the best of luck will fall on them. Go for gold!

• 1 year later...

It's been a while since I last posted here. I'd like to add to the list MNL48.

MNL48_logo.png

They are the official sister group of AKB48. They are probably known to have received some bandwagon hate from their showtime days. But they have really improved a lot as a group and individually! Here's some of their songs.

For more info, read here:

AITAKATTA - GUSTONG MAKITA

[video=youtube;-7zfQ1WTkWw]

TALULOT NG SAKURA

PAG-IBIG FORTUNE COOKIE

But to be honest though, my favorite songs are the ones on the B-side of the single! Umiindak na Saya and Palusot ko'y Maybe are my all time favorite!

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Haha. Thats not including all the videos and concerts and tons of stuff ive got on cds....

But Adams and Corys collections will be bigger.

;-)