Words and/or phrases you don't like

YellowMelon

Question : What words and/or phrases do you cringe at, avoid, or outright just don't like? And, if possible to explain, why?

Surprisingly, there are a coupe of articles online which lists words that people hate because they are gross-sounding, such as the infamous "moist." 

Personally, a word which I've never really liked hearing or using is "surreal". I vividly remember being in a class and a boy asking for gum. A girl gave it to him, then he held up the stick and showed it to everyone, saying "surreal" several times. Typically what bothers me when hearing certain words isn't the word itself but when it's commonly misused. Another word is "obligation," which I tend not to use because of how heavy the word is. 

Two phrases which I also grew not to like, although, admittedly, have used before back when I thought it was "cool": "sorry not sorry" and "agree to disagree".  

In regard to gross-sounding words, I don't think I've come across a word yet that made me feel gross. Making me uncomfortable with a word (i.e. "moist") is highly dependent on how someone says it to me. 

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sarah3161

• Kujaku

• YellowMelon

• NicoleRay

18 hours ago, YellowMelon said:

Question : What words and/or phrases do you cringe at, avoid, or outright just don't like? And, if possible to explain, why?

There is one word that makes me cringe. Don't even know why, I don't even use it except on the rare occasion I play Monopoly (which is never lately) and that word is 'mortgage'. Actually, no, I know why I don't like it, it's because the first part of the word means 'dead person' in my native tongue and, yeah, I don't like that. 

I avoid as much as possible using the word 'hate'. I feel like people use the word way too easily and, ya know, sometimes it can hurt really bad, so I avoid it altogether. I can also count on one hand the things I genuinely hate so I don't see why I would use it when I don't mean it. 

As for phrases or idioms, I only have an issue with them when they are not used correctly (for the last time, it's 'couldn't care less'!) and I don't particularly like 'break a leg', although after looking up the etymology it does makes sense. The phrase originates from Elizabethan times when people would bang their chairs on the floor instead of applause at the end of a performance and, if they liked the performance enough, the chair leg would break. Well, then, I guess, but I doubt anyone has that in mind when wishing someone to 'break a leg'.

I went on a rant there. Anyway, good thing there are actually more words I do like.

• 1 year later...

I hate the word (Sacrifice) 

weather it is for religious purposes or even non religious 

If I want to do something for someone i am not sacrificing myself, I am choosing to take that action

Used to hate the word (complicated) to explain a situation because i used to think that no matter how complicated it is , there is an explanation  

:) now that I am actually in very complicated relationship , I can explain the complication of it but that doesn't mean it is not still complicated 

• 8 months later...
On 1/7/2021 at 5:22 AM, YellowMelon said:

Surprisingly, there are a coupe of articles online which lists words that people hate because they are gross-sounding, such as the infamous "moist." 

Personally, a word which I've never really liked hearing or using is "surreal". I vividly remember being in a class and a boy asking for gum. A girl gave it to him, then he held up the stick and showed it to everyone, saying "surreal" several times. Typically what bothers me when hearing certain words isn't the word itself but when it's commonly misused. Another word is "," which I tend not to use because of how heavy the word is. 

Two phrases which I also grew not to like, although, admittedly, have used before back when I thought it was "cool": "sorry not sorry" and "agree to disagree".  

In regard to gross-sounding words, I don't think I've come across a word yet that made me feel gross. Making me uncomfortable with a word (i.e. "moist") is highly dependent on how someone says it to me. 

Words or phrases that are commonly misused or overused can become annoying or cringeworthy. This is because the repetition can make them lose their original meaning or impact. For example, the phrase "sorry not sorry" can come across as insincere or dismissive if it's overused.

Similarly, words that carry heavy connotations or negative associations, such as "obligation," can make people feel uncomfortable or uneasy. This is because these words can imply a sense of duty or responsibility that people may not want to associate with.

Finally, some words or phrases may be disliked simply because of their sound or rhythm. For example, the word "moist" can be perceived as unpleasant to some people because of its soft and almost squishy sound. Similarly, certain phrases may feel awkward or forced if they don't flow well or sound natural when spoken.

Edited by NicoleRay