M/M Book Recommendations with Cop/Army MCs

3ruri

I'm a sucker for books where one of the main characters is a cop/army/ex army. Especially if he's a top and the couple is not verse. Below are some of the books that I've read. Does anyone have other suggestions? I would love to hear or talk about the books! 

1. A Matter of Time Series (Mary Calmes)  - This is my favourite book. Sam is an asshole in the beginning but he made up for it. Jory is just precious!

2. Trace Evidence (Alexa Snow) - Again with the asshole cop bf, I hate that he didn't grovel more, but the mystery is good. 

3. P.S: I Spook You (S.E Harmon) - Just finished reading this one. Not enough angst and not enough ghost, but I love the sarcastic characters.

4. Tequila Mockingbird (Rhys Ford) - I read all 5 books of the Sinner's Series but this one is my fav. I love that Connor  has an accent and uses a lot of Irish Gaelic.

5. The Finder (J.E Lorin) - The character has a unique ability that I have never read in other books. There's a sequel to this, but not as good. 

6. Alpha Unit One, New York (Christ T. Kat) - Baby shifters are just so cute!

7. It's Christmas Everywhere but Here (Liam Grey) - A touching story, I just wish there is a prequel on how the characters met and become a family

Edited by 3ruri
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Oh, oh, I can contribute with a couple, both military:

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.
by Garrett Leigh 
by Melanie Hansen 

Hm... These are not nearly enough, I need to add some more on my reading list. Out of the ones you listed Trace Evidence is on my list, I'll check out the others as well 

• Like 1

Hey, good thing that you redirect me here. I'm doing P.s; I spook you for today's review and maybe I choose one of the ones I listed for next time

I will check on your suggestion. The one by Garrett Leigh sounds interesting!

• Like 1

I'm not too sure about the trope you're speaking about. Established couples with both cops work for you? Mystery/murder? Ex-military switching to security? Private Investigators? Paranormal as well? No verse at all?

Anyway I'm going to throw on the paper several series you might like (some of them you heard about, no doubt and others you even mentioned in your post).
Sorry if I'm not exactly answering your criteria. I'm pretty sure the tops are not verse, even if, as almost always, the top bottoms at some point to show they eventually accept their sexuality (especially if they're bi-curious in the first place) blablabla.

Anyway, mind you, I read some of these some time ago, and others more recently. I won't be able to go into details. That's the problem since I read a lot ... they tend to merge into a big blob in my head if I don't brainstorm, which I'm not able to do today after drinking last night hehe

Paranormal:

- THIRDS Series by Charlie Cochet. A must-read for me.  I'm more interested in the main and first couple of the series.

- The Spectral Files Series by S.E. Harmon. I'm a big fan of S.E. Harmon. Funny, and sarcastic, just  as I like them.

- Big Bad Wolf Series by Charlie Adhara : one of my fav, very mainstream. I like this issue with the Alpha Quotient that appears in the latest books of the series.

- PsyCop Series by Jordan Castillo Price: I liked this one quite a lot.

- VRC: Vampire Related Crimes Series by Alice Winters : again I prefer the main couple and hence only read the first 2 books.

- The Plumber's Mate Series by J.L. Merrow : I thought I should mention this one but it is a bit slow in my opinion and the mystery plots are really light.

- The Sixth Sense Series by Sarah Madison : I remember I liked it.

- Cold Case Psychic Series by Pandora Pine :  who doesn't know about this one?

- Alpha Unit One Series by Christ T. Kat : I liked it too

- Juxtapose City Series by Tricia Owens : this one is a bit of a stretch considering your criteria. But I recommend it. It is dark, disturbing and underrated.

"Mundane":

- Cut & Run Series by Madeleine Urban : I read the first two a long time ago. I need to start again. But it is high rated.

- Hazard and Somerset Series by Gregory Ashe. A very good surprise. I highly recommend this one. I binged it recently.

- Seven of Spades Series by Cordelia KingsBridge : one of the most recent hyped mystery MM series.

- The Adrien English Series by Josh Lanyon. This series is quite popular. As for me, I hate the top MC Jake Riordan with a passion and I had to stop reading this series after the second book. You're looking for the as***** bf? You've got him!

- Bad Behaviour Series by L.A. Witt & Cari Z. ; Interesting and a bit different.

- Zero Hour Series by Alice Nicole Walker : my last good surprise.

Voilà. I'm sure I forgot several standalones.  It' s harder for me to remember them.

• Like 2

basically a top who is/was a cop/military/FBI/anything along that line. It's a guilty pleasure of mine. But, hey, thanks for the list, some I've read, but I love to hear your little comments as well!

Paranormal:

- THIRDS Series by Charlie Cochet. I've read the first and second book, but the plot is too sci-fi-ish for me. I like the characters, though. They're pretty funny.

- The Spectral Files Series by S.E. Harmon.  OMG! I am reading this right now! On the second book atm. I posted the review on the first book on YO website :) I love the mc so much. Never a dull moment with him.

- Big Bad Wolf Series by Charlie Adhara : This is the first time I heard about it, I will be sure to check it out later.

- PsyCop Series by Jordan Castillo Price: Someone mentioned this to me before. Will add it to my list as well.

- VRC: Vampire Related Crimes Series by Alice Winters : This is quite interesting. Reminds me of Not Dead Yet

- The Plumber's Mate Series by J.L. Merrow : No worries, I've read it all. The mc is funny, but I think he needs a little backbone. The last case was a bit sad for me though. 

- The Sixth Sense Series by Sarah Madison : I think I've downloaded this before, but I dropped it...somehow it didn't interest me enough to keep on reading.

- Cold Case Psychic Series by Pandora Pine :  Uhh...me..? This is the first time I heard about it, but I'll be sure to give it a check!

- Alpha Unit One Series by Christ T. Kat : I was hoping for a sequel...Do let me know if there is!

- Juxtapose City Series by Tricia Owens : Sometimes I like dark too...but we'll see!

"Mundane":

- Cut & Run Series by Madeleine Urban : 

- Hazard and Somerset Series by Gregory Ashe. Must be good if you like it, will check!

- Seven of Spades Series by Cordelia KingsBridge : 

- The Adrien English Series by Josh Lanyon. This is going to be a long rant: OMG I don't even know how anybody would like this series! The only reason I read it was because a friend recommended them to me and I only finished reading all so I can write her a loooooong rant about how crappy the book it. This series is the reason why Josh Lanyon is not my fav author. His only redeeming book in my eyes is Stranger on the Shore. Jake Riordan can go kiss his own ass and Adrien definitely needs to go to a class on how to grow balls. I would label it as a mystery/crime book without romance, because there was no romance at all. Seriously, even though Josh Lanyon's writing language is very nice, this series is not worth anyone's time.

- Bad Behaviour Series by L.A. Witt & Cari Z. ; I don't usually read any books by L.A Witt because so far none of them interest me, but I shall check this out.

- Zero Hour Series by Alice Nicole Walker : Hope it'll be a good surprise for me too!

Thanks for the suggestion!

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm quite into Sci-FI and paranormal I have to admit.

OMG I'm so happy you don't like Adrien English. I went for a mild comment. So many people adoooore Josh Lanyon, I'm almost ashamed to say that so far, not a single book by this author did it for me.

There is a second book in the series Alpha Unit One : Nemesis. I'm surprised I have not read it yet actually.... strange. I thought there was only one so far.... Hmmm. I'll look into it.

Right now, I'm reading the amazing (but long) translation of Heaven Official's Blessing (Chinese is a very concise language, it takes so many more words in English lol).
At last I found a BL chinese novel which I can actually read in English without pulling my hair or throwing myself through a window.

Forget about the Juxtapose City Series though. This one won't be for you. There is no identified top and it is quite Sci-FI. As I said, it was a stretch Hehe.

9 hours ago, nimpatan said:

I'm quite into Sci-FI and paranormal I have to admit

Have you read Peril by J.E Lorin? I love her other book, The Finder, but Peril is Sci-fi genre, so maybe you have checked it out?

OMG I'm so happy you don't like Adrien English. I went for a mild comment. So many people adoooore Josh Lanyon, I'm almost ashamed to say that so far, not a single book by this author did it for me.

Good, I still don't like him. The reason I like Stranger on the shore was because there was one scene that I think was purely cute. I did check out his other books and I think the next acceptable ones are Bedknobs and Broomsticks (one of the mc is a police commissioner!). 

There is a second book in the series Alpha Unit One : Nemesis.

Oh yay! is the download link available here? I will definitely go find it and add to my list. right now I'm still on the spectral series, but seems like they're verse after all...I'm a tiiiiny bit disappointed, but the series is really good, so I'm still happy with it.

I rarely read translated novel. Is it very good? The longest novel I've read so far is Point Pleasant by Jen Archer Wood. That one is another addition to my cop books. 

Forget about the Juxtapose City Series though

Lol, I havent checked it out, but thanks for letting me know. Any new books you're interested in lately other than the Chinese translation ones?

• Like 1

As a matter of fact, Amara uploaded the second book in the Alpha Unit One Series here :

I liked the first book in the Finder Series by J.E. Lorin, I need to read the second one. I've not read Peril. I'll add it to the other 500 books on my TBR list ...

As I said, in my experience, in most books,  the tops end up bottoming occasionally and for many reasons : trust, reciprocity, relinquish power etc etc. The bottom will be flattered but will still confess he prefers bottoming etc etc

So yes, your criteria is a bit strict indeed HaHa

Ooohhh goodie! Can't wait to read more about the baby shifters! Gonna go download the book now.

Oh, I've read the sequel to The Finder...not bad, but not as good as the first one either. Do you strictly read M/M books or do you have other books in your list as well?

Yup, my preference is a bit non-sensible when all I read are m/m books. But if I wanna keep on reading as much books as you do, I need to be constantly interested. But no worries, So far I'm not short on book supplies. Thank you for always sharing with us, I really appreciate it.

• Like 1

I have 3 Kindles. One for MM, one for YA/Sci-Fi/Fantasy, and one for real, decent and grownup books HaHa. I have the iPad Pro for the webcomics/mangas that I religiously convert and store into PDF. OMG I'm such an otaku.

But let's face it, I now read mainly MM in English. (It is not my mother tongue)

Before switching to MM only, I used to read good old Sci-Fi and Fantasy in English, then some YA and PNR, Smut too (not that awful 50 shades).

Reminds me, there were some really good YA/NA Urban/Fantasy series out there, like Amelia Hutchins' Destiny Series, or Sarah J. Maas' Court of Thorns and Roses and many others. I lost track now.

Yeah I've been dedicated to MM for some time actually. Time flies damn. The big issue I have now is I DNF most of the books I start (I think I have like 250 books at 20/40% reading progress on my MM kindle at the moment).

I have read a lot of MM and I'm easily bored. For instance, sex scenes tend to bore me to death most of the time. I don't know if it is because I've just become immune or because I can't find good ones.

Also as I mentioned, I read all MM/BL mangas, manhuas, and manhwas I can find in scanlations. Maybe it's just become too much, I've reached a limit? If I keep struggling that much to find novels that interest me, it might be time for me to let go of MM for a while ...

Well I started investigating all the BL dramas. I had no idea there were so many of them from Thailand, Korean, China etc ... I struggle a bit with the *** hum ***  hum *** "acting?" I must confess. The subtitles are so fast (damn they speak too fast in these countries!!!) and the kiss scenes are ... hilarious (especially the Chinese ones). I will get used to them eventually I'm sure.

It's funny how we all have our triggers and guilty pleasures isn't it. As for me, I have huge difficulties reading about death. It's a no-go for me. Axios broke my heart and you can bet the Song of Achilles will stay at 0%. I loved the manhua "Ten Years I loved you the Most". But I also hated it immensely.

It's a shame amara has not been around lately, we need uploaders to promote the genre :-)
I don't mind sharing the books but I answer to requests mainly and sometimes it hurts a bit to share books I actually find really ... weak... HaHa

• 4 weeks later...

okay, I see you guys aren't fans of this author, but hear me out. All's Fair series* by Josh Lanyon. It's more crime-mystery than romance, but it's so good and you do get romance (more so in the second book). I didn't read the Adrian smth series, so I can't compare it to that one, but from what I've seen online people tend to prefer one of them and dislike the other, so chances are you'll like this one. I just read it and loved it

oh, and also,

, the main characters have history. it's not marriage, but they did break up at some point and then got back together and I know you like that xD 

____
*one of the characters is an FBI agent and the other is a former FBI agent so you kinda get cop and ex-cop 

On 12/27/2020 at 12:46 AM, nimpatan said:

OMG I'm such an otaku

Oh wow, I used to claim this myself, but no more.

I have read a lot of MM and I'm easily bored. For instance, sex scenes tend to bore me to death most of the time. I don't know if it is because I've just become immune or because I can't find good ones.

I think I have somewhat similar problem, but it's more about the book itself and not just the sex scenes. I dropped so many books within the first few pages because I wasn't able to keep my interest to continue reading.

Well I started investigating all the BL dramas. I had no idea there were so many of them from Thailand, Korean, China etc ... I struggle a bit with the *** hum ***  hum *** "acting?" I must confess. The subtitles are so fast (damn they speak too fast in these countries!!!) and the kiss scenes are ... hilarious (especially the Chinese ones). I will get used to them eventually I'm sure.

The acting weren't so bad, but the kissing...I think I can kiss a balloon much better than the actors kissing one another. So I avoid watching them. 

It's funny how we all have our triggers and guilty pleasures isn't it. As for me, I have huge difficulties reading about death. It's a no-go for me. Axios broke my heart and you can bet the Song of Achilles will stay at 0%. I loved the manhua "Ten Years I loved you the Most". But I also hated it immensely.

I accidentally read one book with character death, but I loved it. But that doesnt mean I want to read other books like that. I avoid manga about tragedy as well. I remembered I avoid Miyamoto Kano's works because there is always something that hurts my feelings. 

I have a list of books that is waiting to be read, but really, sometimes we just skip the bad ones and go for ones that really caught our attention. I wish all the active people are still around and talk more about this things. Good to see you're still here once in a while.

19 hours ago, Kujaku said:

okay, I see you guys aren't fans of this author, but hear me out. All's Fair series* by Josh Lanyon. It's more crime-mystery than romance, but it's so good and you do get romance (more so in the second book). I didn't read the Adrian smth series, so I can't compare it to that one, but from what I've seen online people tend to prefer one of them and dislike the other, so chances are you'll like this one. I just read it and loved it

oh, and also,

, the main characters have history. it's not marriage, but they did break up at some point and then got back together and I know you like that xD 

I don't know why even though I don't like this author, I ended up reading most of his books. Haven't yet read the one you suggested though, but I'm very skeptical...Maybe I would try it, maybe not, but thank you for the suggestion anyway. You always suggest good books, but my mood mostly get in the way. 

But really, Adrien English was the worse series ever, so I don't recommend you read it. 

• 8 months later...

So I know I'm a little bit late to this thread but I spotted it and simply had to reply after I did not see my favorite series of a cop or military nature. 

Author AE Via - Nothing Special series and its spinoff series Bounty Hunters

I have never read another cop series that struck me as so real and I've reread both sets sooo many times. Love them!

9 hours ago, Stardrgn77 said:

Author AE Via - Nothing Special series and its spinoff series Bounty Hunters

Oohhh I’ve never heard this one. Right now I’m obsessed with chinese xianxia BL novels, but once I’m done I will surely look this up!

thanks for your suggestion

<3

• 1 month later...

I recently read two books that fit here. 

Whistle Blowing by Ada Maria Soto (ex navy medic)
Save the Date by Annabeth Albert (active duty marine)

Also, Annabeth Albert writes quite a few military men, you might find a few books there. 

Spoiler

Since I know this is a pet peeve of yours, one of the books has a bit of talk of switching, but no actual switching happens.

Edited by Kujaku