NOVEMBER 2020 | The Last Leaf

Ryuu_L

Short story submission

Theme: The Last Leaf

Word count: 600 words

Spoiler

“Hey, look what I found!” Hunter jumped up and pulled the last leaf from the otherwise naked tree. He held the browning leaf and handed it to me.

I frowned. “What’s this for?” I asked as I took it from him.

“Nothing,” he replied. “Just wanted to give it to you.” He shrugged.

“You’re weird,” I said, but took out my wallet and tucked it between some bills.

We continued walking in silence, but it was comfortable, me and Heath. When we talk, we talk a lot. Whenever we had sleepovers at each other house, we stayed up late and talked about everything and nothing. Then there were times like this where we didn’t say anything but it felt more than enough.

Heath and I had known each other since preschool and lived a few houses apart from each other. We were quite the opposite in a lot of things – physique, interest, tastes – but we were tight. He was the best friend I could ever ask for. And soon he was leaving me for his first tour overseas.

He had joined the army right after we graduated high school while I applied for the local university. It was hard for me to be separated from him, but we were adults now and had to learn to live our own lives regardless of how I feel about it.

About him.

“I’ll come back.” He pulled me out of my reverie. We were walking down our usual path home by the park, where the trees were bare as the season changed from autumn to winter. “I’ll come back before the last leaf falls.”

“Promise?” I asked. The worry that he would get hurt was still there regardless. “You’ll keep in touch?”

Heath nodded and we continued walking. A few steps later, he stopped and turned to face me. I was about to ask what he was doing when his lips descended onto mine. It was a chaste kiss, but full of promises. When we pulled away, he took my hand in his and we walked home together in another companionable silence.

It had been two years since then. I haven’t seen Heath since he left for his first tour. Then he went on his second tour and now he was on his third. We video chat, but with him mostly being out of range we only get to do it a handful of times.

Whenever I missed him, I would walk down our usual path. The season was changing again and I wished he was here to warm me with his hugs.

Just as the thought crossed my mind, I saw someone standing in the middle of the path ahead of me. I blinked a few times because I thought I was hallucinating. But Heath was there in his uniform, smiling as he beckoned me to him.

“Heath!” I cried in joy and threw myself at him, arms and legs wrapped around him like an octopus. It took some time to untangle me from his body so we could continue walking. He kept one arm around my shoulder because I needed him close.

“Hey look,” he said, pointing to the bald tree over us.

“What? This again?” I recalled the day two years ago.

I watched Heath jump for the last leaf, but instead of landing on his feet, he got on one knee, one palm open to offer the sycamore leaf to me. My fingers shook as I reached for it, and when I saw a silvery band hidden underneath, I gasped.

“Collin Mathers, will you marry me?”

I said yes.

THE END

Fox Love GIF

Edited by 3ruri
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Here is my entry!

SCENE

Cinnamon sticks crackling

fireplace burning

scent expanding.

Wind chimes ringing

autumn wind blowing

the last leaf falling.

Gentle rain pouring

hummingbird singing

heart mellowing.

Breeze fluttering

leaves rustling

cold settling.

Tea brewing

pie heating

ice cream melting.

:8onion73:

Stay safe!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.
 and everyone who arranged for this contest.

Also to

and
 for not leaving me as the sole poster here. Hope to see you guys in the next contest as well 😘

I Love You GIF

• Like 3

Hi

!
!

:441489720_red_fox4:

This was so much fun!

DS4dEhH.gif

sunday GIF

YAY! To my contest buddies

&
!!!

I hope you have a great week!

:8onion73:

•  
  • Like 2

• Key locked this topic