Sleepless: A Pixel Game

beatmesa

[introduction]

Hey guys, it's Beat here.

Today I've got something fun to talk about: I myself am planning on making a pixel game. I will be making the entire thing by myself, with very little contribution from outside sources.

How is this relevant to you guys?

If any of you are a fan of the horror/psychological thriller genre, you will be interested. There is also a potential of yaoi in there, depending on what choices you choose.

Since this is an introduction post, I'll segment out the plot, characters, and whatnot into separate posts.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• beatmesa

• ネイト

• chiakaiyuki

Top Posters In This Topic

[Overview]

Q: What is the game's title?

A: The game's title is Sleepless. Insomnia and nightmares breed sleepless nights, don't they?

Q: What is Sleepless' genre?

A: Horror, psychological terror, meets dating sim. It's going to be quite a project to pull off.

Q: How far along are you?

A: As of 6/14/2012, the production status is [illustrating character sprites].

Q: What are you making this with?

A: A combination of Paint Tool SAI, Adobe Illustrator, Flash, and RPG Maker.

Q: What inspired Sleepless?

A: An uncontrollable love of indie pixel games. Stuff like Cave Story, Yume Nikki, .flow, I just can't get enough of them. I've played nearly all of Yume Nikki's fangames at this point. Things like Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask and any retro game I hold dear to me also helps inspire me. The inspiration is really everywhere I look and get my game on.

[Exposition]

Your name is Sasayaki. You are living in the year 2076 (so you think, it's hard to tell when you've lived in the same place for a while), and your current home is a ramshackle place residing on a destitute corner in the middle of rural Japan.

You live with six other people, and they're all a little...weird. Not necessarily a bad thing, given that you're pretty weird yourself. All of your rooms, at least, are the same size (tiny) and all the same color (white). It's nice, because you don't have to pay rent. That's probably the best thing about living there.

It does have it's downsides though. One time, you snuck a pen into your room and scribbled a little bit on the walls to try and personalize it. The next morning, when you woke up, you were given a very stern talking to, and by the time you got back to your room, the scribbles were painted over and your room was once again a pen-free pristine environment. Not that it matters to you very much, but you kind of miss the freedom of self expression...or at least, you think you do? You're not sure.

The other tenants see you once a day (sometimes more, if you're feeling particularly nefarious and want to break the rules). At night, when you can't sleep, you can hear them murmuring quietly in their sleep. They always sleep really soundly, while you have a very hard time sleeping. It's a stark contrast to the screaming, shrieking atmosphere of this place during the day. It makes you feel lonely, and maybe a little jealous.

But, at the same time, while you're sleepless and everyone remains asleep, there's no pressure to talk, and you can be yourself...

[spoiler-free Plot]

*This is pretty much just things you would find out on the first day.*

You, as Sasayaki, start your day off like normal. You go and see all of your friends, even the ones you don't particularly like, because hey, you're feeling a bit (ironically) chatty today.

But, at night, instead of the dull whisperings that so often lull you into a daydreaming stasis, there's shrieking and screaming and all sorts of chaos. Dread, without knowing why, fills you. You want to scream along with them, but you don't have a mouth, so you're stuck just listening to the noise around you. Perhaps if you could scream, too, it would help alleviate some of the dread? No matter, you curl up, and listen to the cacophonous panicking of your friends. You know it's against rules to leave at night, no matter what.

However, that night is the night you sleep well. Perhaps the screaming just does it for you. You wake up the next morning, refreshed, only to find out that one of your friends has been murdered -

And it's your job to find out who did it, and clear the suspicion off your name. No one would ever believe you if you wrote that you were sleeping that night - everyone knows you're an insomniac.

You will find things out by talking to the people around you. They may be your friends when they're catatonic, but it seems everyone's suddenly very lively and very hostile. There will be options for romance (hard to obtain, but there), and depending on how you interact with people will determine your ending.

[Characters]

Under construction.

Sasayaki:

The main character. He is 19 years old. Since it is a game where you choose how you interact with people, his personality is dictated by you. However, in my head, his personality is snarky and down to earth - as much as you can be, when you live in an asylum. He likes to use sarcasm so much that it's hard to distinguish when he's being sincere, and when he's not. If his mental disorder wasn't believing he doesn't have a mouth, then he'd probably speak in a deadpan. He is a realist down to his very core. Also very blunt about things, since he likes to write that his wrist gets tired from having to sugarcoat things.

[Other]

Probably shenanigans like character sprites, ficlets, random facts about Sleepless, and random ideas that are interesting but didn't get put into motion.

Sasayaki Conversational Sprites:

sasayaki_normal.pngsasayaki_end_game.png

Alright guys, thread is open for general shenanigans.

Depending on how fast I work, the artwork section should be updated soon so you guys can see what Sasayaki looks like.

Your ambition amazes me *_*

Thank you! Haha. Well, it's been my dream to do this - make my own video game. So I'm pursuing a life's dream. Even if it all falls apart, if nothing else, I'll have said I tried!

Good luck with this! I'd like to see your artwork ~

Well, I've been trying my best to get better. A lot of the art, however, is going to be "pixelated". I'd like to make some official art, though (like stuff in SAI. I'm so happy to hear that people are interested in it though! It really helps encourage me to get my butt in gear.