• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SailorRishi

• tuti

• GadrielM

• moidixmois

This interview is from the additional booklet of OVA 1 Blue-ray limited edition.

All credit and effort goes to

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.

Interview with Yoshihara Rieko 吉原理惠子

Reporter: Murayama Takako 村山貴子

Translator: Colour

- Please tell us your first thought about the remake of 1992 OVA.

Initially I was told that there are 13 episodes same as the TV anime, so this is a big challenge, but in the end it turned out to be 12. Considered the length of novel, I would regret if some important plots are missing. Therefore, if it wasn't AIC (Anime International Co., Inc.), I might not agree to the remake.

- Does your trust come from the achievements of previous OVA?

Yes, this is one of the reasons. Most importantly, the producer hold a very dedicated heart that strongly conveyed the message: "Please let us do it!" Therefore, I felt that I really can trust them.

- This time you are involved in the script writing, any special ideas aroused in the process?

When have I started to be the script writer *laughs*? In fact, I am a total layman with animation script. When I was about to write whatever I like, some corrections such as: "could you please modify this into ~ " appeared, for example the distribution of spaces on paper, how long a line of text could be… thanks to the staff they taught me a lot about script formatting.

- The production team members of the old OVA are assembled for the remake. How was your discussion with director Akiyama(秋山)?

This is obviously the first time for me to meet director Akiyama, but we got a feeling that we “run into an old friend”. Director also felt that "eh? Is this the first time we meet?"

- You two never met before? How about for old OVA?

At that time the publisher was the coordinator, so there was no opportunity for us to meet. Putting aside whether it is good or bad for me as the original author to participate in script writing, I could see the differences in point of view for male and female in staff meeting. The most interesting thing was, the director asked me if nipples were important.*laughs*

- Was he asking if it is necessary to draw that? *Laughs*

Yes, obviously, it’s necessary for me, so I didn’t know what his intension was when he asked me. Lower part of the body could be omitted, but not nipples *laughs*. On that occasion, the only female were AIC staff (producer) Hayashi San and me, we unanimous said that they were very important!

- As the original author, which part you think should be carefully made?

Because I pay attention to the subtle part of RIKI’s flanks and the bending of his feet, etc… so these important points were noted on the script. Although the plot I want to show is clear, it’s hard to transform the images in my mind into a concept by texts. The director insisted that some parts needed to be shown, so a different narrative point of view from me in the OVA is highly recommended to the audiences.

- A lot of efforts were devoted in background setting. TANAGURA, MIDAS, etc. The urban landscape is charming and very worth watching.

It is really awesome! In my mind, MIDAS and slums are just 2D, but this time, they turned into a level structure, layer upon layer, and were clearly shown on the screen. I won’t be able to do it, so I entrust the visual part to them.

- Concept art by Takeuchi Atsushi (竹内敦志) San is also amazing.

Yes, very beautiful! When AIC asked me what I want for memorial, I asked for "Official Art work". Because they didn’t have something like this, so this troubled them *laughs*.

- And Onda Naoyuki (恩田尚之) san is still doing the character design; the idea comes from the old illustrations by Katsumi Michihara (道原かつみ) san.

I am not worry at all knowing that it is Onda San to do the job. He showed me the settings before finalizing and asked if it was fine, and I replied, "It’s totally Okay!"

- Sensei, what are your requirements for the Character design of Blondy?

"More gorgeous for Blondy." I said so, happened that I had no idea what the feeling of "gorgeous" was. *laughs* Basically, IASON is Nordic, RAOUL, as I remember, is Latin, (Translator: Well I personally think they are all Egyptian ...) but don’t overlap the image of Gideon's with his. The hidden setting of Aisha is he was a puppet of the supercomputer JUPITER, so I asked them to draw him like cyborg more than others. Although they were all blond-haired, there were also some differences in their hair, like honey-colored, or platinum gold color etc.

- Onda san seems to have put a lot of efforts on the clothes design.

Each Blondy has their own emblem on their clothing. To distinguish between formal dress and everyday clothing, if there’s something likes shoulder ornaments hanging on the suits will be nice, the idea was from Hayashi San. When I saw the draft design, I just said that "It will be nice if the belt can be a little wider" etc. (and they've made substantial changes.) I really think Onda san has done a hard work.

- KIRIE looks more childish with the freckles on his face.

I didn’t particularly aware of that, but still want to emphasize his three years age difference from RIKI. Giving audients the impression that he was surrounded by adults, even if he had ambitions, he was still a kid. In Episode 2 there is a scene that KIRIE looked into the mirror, humming♪ and combed his hair in an arrogant attitude, looks like a kids that is too self-righteous and funny. Audiences can look closer to find out more about the character’s personality in many scenes in episode 2.

- I think the fans are also very concerned about the Seiyuu lineup, and this time it follows the one in the DRAMA CD released in 2007. What are your requirements for the selection of candidates?

Because DRAMA CD released earlier than the anime (new OVA), so during the discussion on the anime, I have the idea of, "If any one of the Seiyuus in Drama CD resigned, then please have all of them replaced". I intend to let Seiyuus from DRAMA work on new OVA, and therefore if it is going to change, I’ll simply make a difference between drama and OVA. Fortunately, director did consider my request and kept the original lineup, so I only had problem in selecting the DRAMA CD casting.

- How did you select the Seiyuu?

The seiyuu of IASON was the first to be decided. Fans from previous OVA/drama have the diehard rules of "IASON = Shiozawa Kaneto(塩沢兼人) san ”, so compared to other casting, this is always the priority question. My answer is, I still think that Ookawa(大川) san is the most appropriate candidate.

- I think Ookawa san also feels a considerable pressure, any anecdote of recording?

It took him many trials to perform the lines with no emotion and it really brought him pain, after the recording he told me that it was so hard! Layman like me would think that cold and distance tone should be easy. I finally know after asking the Seiyuu, saying the words with no feelings is the hardest thing. Isn’t Ookawa san’s voice very gentle? So I imagined the feelings when he speaks in the distance tone of IASON. In the first recording, I was really excited to hear that.

- How about Itou Kentarou (伊藤健太郎) san as RIKI, how do you feel?

Be able to match with Okawa san, I think there’s none other than Ito san. It’s just that when he was recording the lines when Riki was a pet (in episode 4), every time he spoke, he was reminded "Younger! Younger!" It seemed really hard. *laughs*

- When you actually saw the character move on the screen, what gave you the deepest impression?

The erotic part. *laughs* Each director of each episode added some original elements that are not in the script into the OVA, so that each character has a profound description, it is so great!

- By the way, what is your favorite and must-see scene in the first volume, please share we us if there’s any.

I really think all of them are. In my point of view, because the story is the same, so most surprising scene is where the computer screen was reflected on DARLY’s pupil, I cried: "it’s really shown ~! " And there is a final scene when RIKI ran back to the slums, the car that IASON rode was soaring up to the sky, and left a trajectory by the car lights, that scene was dazzling and really touched me.

- Lets move to the original novel. Although the novel is serialized in 1986, do you think that Science fiction theme for Yaoi is still new?

At that time it was not BL but JUNE. Oh well, it was free submission work so there wasn’t any limitation and I could write whatever I like. For now, because bad ending is not popular, the story may not be passed by the publisher. If it is happy ending with this fantasy and Science fiction theme, it is possible. And for the content... *laughs*[Note: it means readers nowadays may think bad ending is boring or out of fashion.]

- What was the opportunity for you to write the novel?

Because I have first written the final scene: the last smoke (kiss) of RIKI and IASON... This is the climax of the series of plots. To accomplish this ending, I conceived a class system that absolutely could not be subverted, two characters with a huge different, one from the most dominant top class and one from the lowest class, the slums and so on, from there I started to think about the related settings. From the start of this serial, I had already decided the ending.

- As time passes - since the issue of the novels, you have added things and made some corrections for the Tokuma Shoten’s edition and finished the whole six volumes. Finally it returned to book stores with such a rich quality.

Rather than increasing the content, I should say I’ve gained 20 years of age and want to deeply explore the unwritten part. In the past, I only straightly and speedily focused on describing the relationship between IASON and RIKI, although some of the side story lines were there, they have not been extended. To re-publish it on the CHARA文庫 of 德間書店Tokuma Shoten’s edition, I felt that this is probably the last time I can add something new into the story, generally, at a later stage, it turned out to be rewrite rather than addition *laughs*.

- Readers think that sensei’s works almost contain a keyword: "(執着=しゅうじゃく) tenacity ". Did Sensei insist upon or pay attention to anything during writing?

Instead of " tenacity ", I’m more likely to pay attention to the detailed and heavy description in my novel. Not only love scene, I emphasized on the profound relationship between people. I never aware of myself being tenacious, because when I write the story, instead of 「執着! 執着!」, I’ll rather say「(wide fantasy)妄想!妄想!」. What I insist for literally, is to focus on how to describe the same action differently etc. I like to quote new and special words from the dictionary.

- Which dictionary do you like?

I still prefer 広辞苑. In fact, the title "間の楔(Ai no Kusabi)" is found from 広辞苑. Because novels are different from comics or anime, with only texts, even a slightly change of words and sentences can have an impact. I would like to find out a more appropriate description. Even phrases or words created by myself are fine. Talking about “self-creating phrases”, when I decided the Kanji (Chinese Characters) in the title of OVA 1, I tried to make people understand the meaning without knowing the pronunciation.

- So Volume I became「~ petere 檻獣~」

Basically when considered the word「檻獣」, after I wrote down and explain its meaning, others also found the Latin word consistent with it: “petere". However, the producers asked, "how to read this character? " I replied," The pronunciation doesn't matter, " and this really surprised them. After a short silence, they earnestly asked me, " is it really Okay? " (laughs).

- From the start of the series until now, 間の楔 has accompanied us over many years, for you as the writer, what kind of story is it?

This is my first serial work, though not the starting point, but I have a feeling of returning to the starting point, so far I’m still writing related stories. Recently, a short story (Musk) has been published on 小說CHARA (vol.25 / 德間書店Tokuma Shoten Publishing) for this occasion. The story was about the three years’ time that RIKI being a pet. If there are more invitations, I would still like to write more. For me, 間の楔 is a novel that I can develop the plot from any point in the book.

- Finally, please say something to the fans.

For the first volume, really hope that everyone will watch it. It is touching to see my own writing to be converted into color, sound, and even 3D CG. My wish is to watch all 12 episodes, so hopefully by support from all, the production of the second season would start.

NOTE: "Feel free to post it somewhere else, but I would ask that please give me credit." -user:

Source

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I really like both arts as well. I like the 90s version for a more.....raw feeling. Like there is lots of passion and emotion in those short scenes. With 2012, all the emotions are there, but they don't sink in as deeply and I find myself rewatching them to get a true sense of what is going on. How is Rikki feeling? What does Iason mean when he does this?

And gosh darnit, I want Guy dead!! I really just hate him!!!! Buuuuuuttt, that's just me..... (:

Hi DarkYaoiBeast

I can very well feel your emotions. Indeed i like the old OVA more, but i thing i not get used with the new one so i thought that's why.

About Guy..hmm he not represent my favorite chara in the story, but in some way i can understand him. In my opinion he only did that what he thought it would be the best in that moment. In a hopless situation we do things what we later regret.

Join the discussion, yes!!

And yeah, I understand why he did what he did, but after awhile, it became more about getting back at Iason than saving Rikki. Guy just went mad and in the end, he got what he deserved: nothing. But still, what kind of demented "friend," would cut off your penis to "save you from a monster..." Uhm. Hello!?? Guy just sickens me.

And Kirie isn't much better. Neither is Raoul, come to think of it....lol. Although, out of the three, I think I like Kirie the best. Kirie is just a brat, while Raoul and Guy are seriously twisted freaks.....

Sorry I'm so opinionated. This is the first time I've come across a forum where I can talk about ANK, so....gushing at the mouth!! Sorry!

Hello MIRARIKO ofcourse you can join the club (:

DarkYaoiBeast

Sorry for the late respond. I guess we are not in the same Timezone^^

Don't worry, here you can write free about your thoughts, no censoring promise ;)

I'm not sure have you read the novel, but how you describe your thougts i guess not. It's not so easy to set a story like ANK into a OVA. For all those characters personal I gave my blessing. The Mongreal boys live in tuff conditions and for them the only importent thing in life is to survive. Beside surviving they have them pride and for a man that is very importent. But yeah, my opinions are always neutral. I always consider both sites and try to understand their actings.

Yeah, I guess we are in different time zones. ^__^

No, I haven't read the novels although I desperately want to!! But, while I understand the mongrels and how they live life, I still think Guy was just demented.. There is no excuse for cutting off someone's penis, honestly.

I mean, sure, he was wounded, Rikki left him twice, to be Iason's toy, and while I don't really agree with that idea, Guy was hurt that his friend chose to be chained and caged by the Blondie and while he totally has a right to feel wounded, he didn't have the right to go and hurt Rikki that way! Rikki was stuck! If Guy had listened and tried to understand the situation...Rikki was Iason's...there was no changing the fact that his body would react the way it had been conditioned to respond. Rikki could never be with Guy and be happy. He loved Guy, yes, but after three years, that love had morphed from a lover's love into a more, very close friend who will do anything to protect him, love. But Guy couldn't accept that. And he tried to "save" Rikki when Rikki couldn't be saved....it was already too late.

That's how I feel on the matter. I'm not criticizing the way it was written or the way the animation was done. I'm talking about the story. The plot and the motives behind the characters.

@DarkYaoiBeast

I love your emotions for that story. I see a new ANK fan is born ^______^

This is exactly that's what's I was talking before. If you had not read the novel you will just get's confused :/ I also first saw the OVA (old) and I was only WTF? O_o ....but I like the story, so i research. I read first one fan translation but this translation is only till chap 4 available. Later i read the original...and just :cuteonion46:

I'm not sure should i talk with you about the spoiler....the story is too great to discuss about it without reading the Novel. I will not take you the Chance to get your own view. Well yeah, i never told this in public but this story personal means much to me in many ways.

Now back to Guy. His only guilt was he loved Riki and yeah if you love someone that much, your brain not think clear. Not everyone can stay cool in a situation which Guy was. Napoleon Bonaparte once said: "In war and love everything is allowed" ^______^ that's not just a such demanding, in some way that is a true fact. Guy he only wish that Riki become his.

Now i will copy you a statement from one really good friend from me. Oh yeah Riha I miss you so much and only I know that there is someone who is missing you more than me.

Huh now i get sentimental....(cry, remember some past moments) Senpai i really hope that she will come back one day, Kisss and hugzz foxy3

-DarkYaoiBeast-

huh sorry, i just got sentimental, but when i talk about ANK i remember many things which haeppens in the past-

Ok now the copy:

So when we see Katze cry he is

- crying for Iason, who he secretly had feelings for

- crying for Riki, who he had grown quite fond of

- crying for the both of them as a couple, as lovers, because they never had a chance to actually BE with each other - except in death

- crying, because he just lost two people he genuinely cared about

~ when i read these lines again i cry...dunno it is now bcouz of ANK or Riha&Senpai.....

these lines bring me to the point where Riki told to Katze: Now I am like you, I am not a man anymore....

(Katze is a furniture, he had also a Penis Penektomie)

and that was the point from Guy to cut Riki's penis. Not only to remove the pet ring. He know that a not human like Iason could never love based on emotions, only physically BUT he never thought that there was true love, even Iason was wondering about it self that this haeppen to him....

Now enough...it was even to much spoiler^^

Sorry my emotions gets run....

Senpai if you read this, love you :leaf3: and if Riha not come back, i will bring her back only for you ;)

Dear DarkYaoiBeast, what i can just suggest you is to read the Novel. You already fall for it, after reading your love will only become deeper.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Damn it's been a while since last I saw the OVA... it wasn't completed, so I totally forgot where I was at!!

I guess there's a couple more added since say... March???

of the new 2012 OVA? that i know of it's still only the 4 episodes that are out. It's said that it's just the first set and that there will be eventually a total of 12 or 13... but as of yet we haven't seen any more ; ;

• Like 2

WHAT?? There has to be more soon.

I heard that but I recalled the last OVA episode, whichever it was, it left off not even HALF of the story.... so it was definitely not completed...

But they're so well-known for stalling this works. The artwork was so badass, though, I was impressed with it- kind of makes me wonder if they pay too much time on the details or whatnot.

:Red_fox6:

• Like 1

Like i post it before, here the official statemant:

Statement:

ANK remake was 2008/2009 in Japan confirmed as a project with 13 episodes. However, in the interview, the first edition in 2012 confirmed that there are now only 12 episodes. These are published as sections. Part 1 includes the first 4 ova's. Since I have so far still no confirmation from Japan that are only 4 parts mentioned.

For till now i don't have any other info about ANK.

I'm sorry to inform you but I can not post any more news about the ANK remake. Since I have received the details from a private person, it was discussed that these infos will stayed in a private circle.

If you self have any news related to this topic, feel free and post it here. I was talking only about myself.

Also all of you know the first 4 OVA's gets licensed in the USA (

)

If the fansub download links are still available for disposal are, I can give no opinion on it. This decision is left up to the translations team and YO forum. Even not on them, everything depends on the Copyright infringement. But still now no statement about it, so you can stll enjoy your free fansub.

In this way I would like to invite all to respect the work of the artist, and if you had like it buy the Original.

I will be still available for ANK (also future OVA's) discussions and questions. I will do my best to help in this case, so any confusions or doubts feel free and ask (:

• Like 3

Even with that, I don't get how we can buy the OVAs though. There's no way to support them if we can't access them. Unless you go to anime expo convention or something.

I've been through difficulties ordering DVDS and such from Japan since they charge the shipping very high, compared to our dollar value and they're not exactly international friendly as some 'special' items are not sold overseas. It's probably easier to order the original [not the remake] dvd but little funding would go to them.

There has to be an easier way.

Okay, so the 4 OVAS are considered complete? Because I recalled the ending was left off like a cliffhanger. No intention to push this project further then?

Thank you. Sorry to be such a bother. I won't discuss anymore on their works.

:5yoyo32:

In my opinion, if you don't mind, any raws should not allowed to be uploaded. I learned my lesson with FO. GAN! t_0012.gif So I'm planning to buy another one and use it as a gift.

With cooked meats [hardsubs], they can decide whether they like it and buy it. The thing is, like I said before, the prices in Japan are insanely expensive to Americans when it's not really true. The price of the item is usually doubled., which raised some controversy with the Japanese post, EMS. The dollar value is terrible. T____T So we are forced to make a very careful and wise decision and buy something and not blindly buy something and end up not liking it.

• Like 2

Yeah I see the problem very well. The expenses are very high :/

The thing is ANK was made for the Japanese Market only, but since Media Blaster licensed it we get the Chance to see it also legal.

The Company noted it plans to release the series from its AnimeWorks label in December.

Source ANN

So you will get your chance to buy it by a normal price I guess^^

The whole project is very difficult, fans have to be very patient. DMP now finally released vol07 of the Novel. Like I said, stuffs about ANK (non Japanese) are not easy, we depend on fans and on them knowledge. In first plan is still the Novel. DMP release till now 7vol, still one more left. So here again you have your chance to know more about that story. Like I said who has not read the book, will not get easy familiar with the story.

Like with FO. I saw the OVA also read the manga at the end little bit of the drama, but I’m still not get familiar with the story. I guess I have to read the Novel to understand it completely ^_____^

Back to ANK. The first part of publishing the OVA’s is complete (1-4)

Now we have to wait for the rest. Well the story is still at the beginning and many things still have to happen (:

And yeah dear Sloan, don’t worry you not bother me. I’m still here to inform people and help out with ANK stuff. The problem is just only, many bad thing happens in the past and there is no ending :( Fans sometimes can act very cruel and for people who provide as with such information this is not fair. After all they doing it for free and spent them free time for doing other fans happy. That's why this decission to make it privat. Who is a real ANK fan, dont worry he will get all information in several Communitys ;)

• Like 3

Before I forget to mention it, when the other OVA's are release the situation will gets more relaxed. It will be easier to talk about it.

I myself i'm not so into the anime, in my opinion the situation how is it right now can stay so. (talking only about the OVA, not the things around which happens whom I have mentioned already)

Like one of my friend say: "To see Iason how he dies again, is to cruel"

• Like 1

Did they send out a release date on the new episodes? I know they got approved for more. :) BTW the new Iason is very sexy and portrayed better from the novel.

LADIES & GENTLEMEN!!

please put up your pre-order and get your hands onto the real cheap 14.99USD DVD (Region Code 1 - yet you can get rid of it with a free software!!!) for all 4 episodes of the ANK REMAKE ^___^ show your support and we might get all 12 episodes from Japan after all .. it's all about SALES!!!

• Like 1