Ai no Kusabi Fanclub

SailorRishi

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.

I've noticed that many members here on YO not really know about the BL story Ai no Kusabi. There are also many confusions about the old and new OVA. With this thread I will finally clear up the things.

Ai no Kusabi-General Info

Ai no Kusabi (間の楔?)is a Japanese novel written by Rieko Yoshihara. Originally serialized in the yaoi magazine Shousetsu June between December 1986 and October 1987, the story was collected into a hardbound novel that was released in Japan in 1990. This futuristic tale is set in a world where the Elites are assigned various social classes based on their hair color in the city of Tanagura. Iason Mink, a high-class "Blondie", runs into Riki, a black-haired "Mongrel", and makes him his "Pet" which Riki resents being. As Riki learns of the dangers Iason faces by keeping him, he finds himself developing feelings for his master. Focusing on the relationship between Iason and Riki, Ai no Kusabi also explores issues of caste systems and social exclusion.

The novel was partially adapted into a two-episode original video animation (OVA) by Anime International Company (AIC), with the first episode released in August 1992 and the second in May 1994. In November 1993, an audio drama entitled Erogenous Dark was released focusing on a time period left unexplored in the original novels. A new thirteen episode OVA adaptation, also from AIC, was scheduled to begin releasing in Japan in the spring of 2010, but was cancelled for financial reasons. The project was picked up again and is scheduled to release in January 2012.

The novel is licensed for an English language release in North America by Digital Manga Publishing which published the novel over a six volume series, with the first released in November 2007 and the last in July 2009

Plot

Ai no Kusabi takes place on the world of Amoi, which is ruled by a computer named Jupiter. Jupiter has introduced a number of strict social rules to society. Among them, social status is determined by hair color, blonde being the highest, down to black or dark brown as the lowest. The Blondies, genetically engineered by Jupiter, are the highest social class and occupy the capital city of Tanagura. They travel to the satellite pleasure city of Midas, which has an independent slum area called Ceres. Under Jupiter's restrictions, the Blondies are sterile and forbidden from indulging in sexual activities. They keep "pets" (young teenagers) for about a year, for purely voyeuristic purposes, before discarding them. Further emasculation is seen in the "Furniture", young boys who serve the Blondies.

Contrary to popular belief, the hair-color caste system only applies to those working in Tanagura and not in Ceres. The true separation is between those genetically created in a lab (those in Tanagura) and the "mongrels" formed the natural way (those in Ceres). However it was written in the novel that Tanagura manipulated even the natural births of Ceres, ensuring that its population did not grow by restricting the number of female births to 1 in 10.

Characters

Riki (リキ): Riki, or "Riki the Dark" has been called the "charisma" of the slums. In the OVA, he has black hair and brown eyes with tanned skin. Riki wears a black sando with a black and maroon jacket on top and a pair of black pants. He was the leader of Bison, a gang in Ceres, and eventually became Iason Mink's pet, which had a crushing effect to his human pride. During his stint as Iason's pet, he is given a pet ring (which has a tracer and allows him to access certain areas like the Saloon) around his manhood which did not follow the usual design (such as necklaces, rings or earrings). Iason explained to Raoul that after registering Riki as a pet, an ID-less citizen, the laws cease to apply to him. Riki was registered as Z107M. In the CD Drama, he formed a sort of friendship with Daryl, Iason's furniture. Daryl helped him escape, at the risk of his own position, because he did not want Riki to change his personality and attitude as a gang leader, and explains to Iason that making him into a pet might be too much, thus, his assistance without Riki's knowledge. Riki was once Guy's lover, the second in command of his gang. Riki is proud, rebellious, fierce and defiant, but his experiences change him. He becomes mature and quiet. Some men living in the slums feel he has lost his spark. He is torn between his pride and the feelings he has for Iason that he is unwilling to acknowledge. In the novel, it was mentioned that Riki first met Iason when he was 16 years old, then he was taken to become Iason's pet when he was 17 years old and returned to the slums when he was 20 years old. It was mentioned in the novel that the reason why Riki did not want to return to Iason, aside from losing his freedom, was that he felt that he would not be able to resist him if Iason thought of doing something to him. In the audio book, two OVAs, and the first drama CD, he is played by Seki Toshihiko. In the later drama CDs, he is played by Itou Kentarou.

Iason Mink: Iason is not just any Blondie – he is the most superior and powerful of all of them, the one who talks directly to Jupiter and carries out Jupiter's commands. He is the head of the Syndicate, Tanagura's black market for pet trade. Blondies were artificially designed and sterile, possessing an IQ of more than 300. He is blonde and taller than Riki. In the OVA, it appears that a metallic shoulder pad is common as their everyday clothing. He is in love with his pet Riki, a mongrel from the slums, which casts a dark shadow over his seeming perfection. Iason is interested at first in what it would be like to have a gang leader from the slums as a pet instead of those non-thinking one bred from the Academy. He also shows signs of an obsession which can be devastating. There were some instances where he showed jealousy, like when Riki masturbates in front of a hologram of a woman (mentioned in the CD drama), the incident where he had forbidden intercourse with Mimea (shown in OVA and mentioned in the CD drama) and when Riki called out Guys's name while sleeping after drinking too much sake (in the CD drama). He finally falls in love with Riki but when asked about it, he gives a sad smile. He has an elegant and calm manner that hides a passionate, ruthless and unforgiving nature. For Riki, Iason is willing to flaunt and break all taboos, like having a mongrel as a pet and keeping said pet for 3 years. In the novel, it was mentioned that as part of Riki's training as a proper pet, he made the mongrel go naked for one month, for Riki to get used to being naked in front of him. Then for the next 2 months, he made Riki masturbate in front of Iason and show his intimate parts. After 6 months, Iason took the unusual step of having sexual intercourse with Riki. It was unusual because elites and blondies, are just to enjoy looking at their pet, not touching them. In the audio book, two OVAs, and first drama CD, he is played by Shiozawa Kaneto. In the later drama CDs, he is played by Tooru Ookawa.

Guy (ガイ) : A former pairing partner of Riki's. He, too, is overly obsessed with Riki. When Riki was the leader of the Bison gang, Guy was his second-in-command, and he assumes the leadership when Riki vanishes for 3 years. In the novel, it was mentioned that Guy was offered to become Iason's pet with Kirie as the middleman, but this was a plot of Iason to make Riki come back to him. At first he refused but after some thinking, he relented and went to Eos. There, he was kept by Iason and waited for Riki to show up, either to demand Guy back or return to him as his pet once again. Nothing happened and so Iason himself went to see Riki. He got an assuring answer from the mongrel and so he released Guy. In the OVA, after he was released from prison (the incident with Katze plotting an ambush where the Bison gang members were arrested for sneaking in during an android shipment), he went to see Riki and asked if they can get back together, like they used to in the past but Riki refused him, confessing that he is now Iason's pet and cannot escape it. Furious, Guy punched Riki in the face. Later on, he devised a plan to help get Riki out of his predicament (because he thinks the reason why Riki became Iason's pet was for the Bison gang to be released from prison) and get back at Iason for taking Riki away from him. In the end, he survived but had his arm taken off as a result of Iason's fury for him having removed the pet ring from Riki (mentioned in the novel and shown in the OVA). In the audio book, he is played by Kozima Takayuki (小島貴幸). In the two OVA, he is played by Tsujitani Koji. In the later drama CDs, he is played by Toriumi Kosuke.

Katze (カッツェ): A former furniture of Iason, he gets involved in the black market and becomes a man of great power and influence there. Something of a computer genius, he once almost uncovered what he calls the "Secret of Tanagura", but got caught in the act by Iason. This earned him a scar on his left cheek which he usually covers with his hair (in the OVA, he has reddish brown colored hair). He returns Riki to Iason by manipulating Kirie. In the OVA, Katze plotted an ambush for the Bison using Kirie by telling the gang that an adroid shipment will be held and it is a great opportunity to earn some cash. The gang took the bait but security was already in place and stopped the gang from going any further while Kirie took Riki to an elevator-like platform. At the top, Katze was waiting, and Riki is beyond furious. In the novel, he was very concerned with Iason and Riki to the point that he tries to help them as much as he can (in this case, when Iason asked him to give Riki a job because the latter is getting depressed when he is just cooped up in the apartment, and then when Guy kidnapped Riki and asks Iason if he can do something) and he cried when they perished together. In the audio book, he is played by Hōchū Ōtsuka. In the OVA, he is played by Hideyuki Tanaka. In the later drama CDs, he is played by Miki Shinichiro.

Daryl (ダリル): Daryl is Iason's furniture who serves as Riki's caretaker and is responsible for the household chores. He calls Riki "Sir Riki" and loves him because of his pride and his will not to bow down. Daryl is executed in the novel because he lets Riki escape. It is unknown what happens to him in the CD drama; it was only mentioned that Iason will punish him for hacking the terminal (used only by the furniture) and letting Riki go and that Daryl accepts his punishment (it was not mentioned what that punishment was). Like Katze, Daryl is intelligent for hacking the system. In the 1993 drama CD, he is played by Ryōtarō Okiayu. In the later drama CDs, he is played by Eiji Hanawa.

Jupiter: Jupiter is the Artificial Intelligence which rules Amoï. It placed it's android-like Blondie "children" at the pinnacle of society. In the CD drama, the only ones who can talk to it are the Blondies, and in the OVA, it was shown that it was Iason. In the OVA, it looks like a silver colored statue in hologram form.

Raoul Am: A Blondie and the second in command of Tanagura, he is also Iason Mink's friend. He serves as the voice of reason, concern and societal pressure as Iason's infatuation with Riki becomes more obvious. His pet is one he bred by himself, named Mimea. In the CD drama, it appears that Raoul can tamper with minds, which he does not want to use on Iason in case his relationship with Riki worsens. In the audio book, he is played by Ikeda Hidekazu. In the two OVAs and first drama CD, he is played by Hayami Sho. In the later drama CDs, he is played by Takaya Kuroda.

Mimea (ミメア): Mimea is Raoul Am's female Pet of the highest breeding. She develops a liking for Riki's unusual ways, falls in love with him and has a forbidden intercourse with him. To Riki, she seems little more than a way to test Iason's feelings, make him jealous and ruin his public image. In the CD drama, when Iason punished Riki for this event, he made what he called a "date by screen" with Mimea on the other monitor. Mimea insisted that it was made just to push her and Riki apart and that they love each other. She also tells Riki that she will be paired to another pet by the name of Jana, whom she described as a sex freak with nothing but his looks, and that thinking of carrying his child pains her. Riki was silent as his pet ring was fully activated at that time and he had a hard time speaking and breathing, leading Mimea to think that he had abandoned her, and she called him coward. She was played by Emi Shinohara in the first drama CD and by Kawaragi Shiho in the later drama CDs.

Kirie (キリエ): (or Killie) The youngest member of Bison at 17 years old. Kirie is lured into lucrative deals by Katze as part of Iason's scheme to bring Riki back after his year of freedom. In the OVA, his eyes had odd colors; the right eye is colored gold to sandy brown and the left eye is colored blue. Kirie is eventually made to betray his former comrades. In the CD drama, the reason for Riki's dislike of this boy is that he reminds Riki of his former self – proud, rebellious and defiant, traits that he possessed before meeting Iason. Also, it was revealed that Kirie likes Riki. In the end, he becomes a pet, learning the "ways of Tanagura," as Iason says. As for the CD drama ending, his mind was tampered and he no longer knows what is happening around him. It is unknown what happened to him after that. In the audiobook, he is played by Taiki Matsuno. In the two OVAs, he was played by Shigeru Nakahara.

Enif (エニフ): A former high-class Pet owned by Sir Kyle, who had a fight with Riki during the Free Party that the latter attended. He is now discarded and used as cheap labor, in stark contrast to the freedom and kind treatment Riki still enjoys with Iason. In the CD drama, it was mentioned that he was the one who revealed Riki and Mimea's forbidden act. According to Mimea and the other pets, if you tattle someone, you get lynched.

Jana: A pet who was paired to Mimea after the incident between her and Riki. According to Mimea, he is a sex freak who has nothing but his looks.

Lusa: In the CD drama, Mimea mentioned this name to Riki, telling him that Lusa and Stee see Riki as their enemy, because he was a mongrel taken from the slums.

Stee: A 17-year-old pet bred from the Shiruru Family whose former owner is Sir Aisha. Mimea also mentioned this name to Riki along with Lusa, saying that he shares the same feelings against Riki. Unlike Lusa, he was sold off to a male brothel in Midas, which Riki thinks might be hard on the other pet because he never did it with a man, only with women.

Rasshi: Mentioned in the CD drama as working for Iason.

Novel

Written by Rieko Yoshihara, the individual chapters of Ai no Kusabi were serialized in the yaoi magazine Shousetsu June between December 1986 and October 1987. The chapters were collected and published as a single hardbound novel in 1990. The novel was licensed for an English language release in North America by Digital Manga Publishing (DMP), which published the novel across six volume series. The first volume was released on November 20, 2007 and the sixth on July 28, 2009. In June 2009, DMP made the first volume of Ai no Kusabi, Stranger, available as an Amazon Kindle e-book.

• Like 20

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SailorRishi

• tuti

• GadrielM

• moidixmois

Confusions about the old and new OVA

There are two versions of the OVA's

~1. From the August 1992 – May 1994

- release 2 OVA's

Download here :

~2. The new version : Ai no Kusabi remake 2012

- planed was 13 episodes, but how many will be is still not clarified.

Download here :

• Like 14

That's a very good idea having an Ai no Kusabi fanclub! *__* :cuteonion46:

I haven't read the novel, but I liked very much the OVAs!

• Like 2

I've watched the first Ai no Kusabi OVA's and watched the first ova of the newest version.. I like both of them :D

Good idea to have a fanclub of it :D

• Like 2

The fact is who has not read the novel does not really understand the story :( They are many factors in the OVA were not properly represented...Ai no Kusabi novel is licensed, therefore I can not post some download link. Who really wants to know more about the story he should buy the book.

Personally, this is my absolute favorite nr.1 BL Story and i am a big fan of ANK. Whoever is a fan from ANK he is invited to join our club :)

On this way, I wish a warm welcome to our ANK FC

• Like 3

I love you for this!

AnK should be more popular. :banhbao8:

I have one of the novels and currently I'm saving up to buy them all. ^^

Wanted to get the Limited Edition of the DVD with the pet ring but.. no money. :(

• Like 1

Tnx :)

The Problem is also, the Books are rare, and also very expensive. if you're lucky you can buy direct from publisher for normal price 12-15 dollars. But by the third provider (privat seller like ebay) price of a book is not less than 50 dollar O_O...and some of Volume you cant even buy. For example Vol 5 is very rare. I've seen on a page. a private vendor, sale the band 5 for for 900 US dollars!!!! :6onion72:

I taken one prtsc from the site :

Oh wow. I am sure that when I was buying 6 (yeah I know, I started from 6 instead of 1 O.o) all of them were available.

have you tried cdjapan? I buy stuff from them quite often, they're good. and the novels aren't expensive.

they are chara bunko.

I think that now with the remake AnK got more attention but still the fanbase is relatively small when compared to some others. I don't know why people aren't into it more. it was one of my first animes. O.o and I'm happily in love with it ever since the beginning.

I always buy on ebay. But thanks for the advice:)

ANK is the beginning of the BL era, and and one of the first BL storys. You ask why is the fanbase so small? Here the answer: The Yaoi genre is most populare by the adolescent group and they like more the childish style...like Junjo romantica or Sekaii....Just like Zetsuai, ANK needs getting used to plot. ANK fans are older Girls/ Boys. Because the yaoi genre with the younger population is predominant, a such story has not chance. the remake, it has attracted the interest and although I am curious how the whole thing will develop. But the problem still stands. who has not read the novella does not understand the OVA. which for me was just the same. I first saw the ova / (the old) and was totally confused until after I've read the book, I understood some things.

Until now everyone has a great interest shown in the ova and the ANK fanbase is growing :)

I'm curious how much OVA's they will make...hope all 13 like planned. I have the 3rd not see so thats why I can not measure up.

Makes sense and I can agree though I was quite young when I first saw it. And after a bit of reading it wasn't so confusing. But I am really into it so I read everything that contains the words Ai no Kusabi in it :)) ~ I am worried about the progress of the remake because they are testing us with the first four episodes. If they are successful (which I think they are because even the limited edition dvds are sold out!) then there will be 13 episodes. I like them though naturally, I prefer the old version. There is just something about that first intimate scene of Iason and Riki and especially when Iason says "Iason Mink"... d'ahhh :Red_fox11:

Have you ever read Taming Riki by Kira? If yes, what do you think about it?

I total agree. The old ova is more better. in the old ova riki represented as standing man but in the new one he have this typical uke face. they introduces him as the typical uke like in all yaoi anime. but his character is not that of a typical uke. ANK is different from the populares yaoi storys. Animes are popular, and what is popular is commercial. They need to address the quantity, the younger population in this case. That means, it must be taken some changes. Thats why they make the drawing style different as in the old ova.

I personally prefer more the uncommercial stuff. But ofc i stil like koisuru boukun , JR etc...

I not read Taming Riki by Kira, but I've heard of it. This is a ff, right?

Yes, it's a ff and it's huge. I have only read Book I and it has about 64 chapters I think.

I like Kira because she portrays them exactly as they are. though sometimes she goes too much with spanking and whipping and stuff like that but it's her. I think there are two more Books and the fourth she never finished.

In the past you had to buy them but she suddenly decided to give up on all yaoi she had written up until then (and there's lots trust me!) and she gave the rights to her biggest fan who opened a website to share Kira's work.

I agree with you. Riki is so weak and typically uke in the remake. I like how Iason looks, he's every bit of himself - cold and arrogant. The old Iason was too...spiky O.o like the art wasn't "perfected" with him. But old Riki was the real Riki and that's definite.

That's great! :D

Have fun reading it and do message me your thoughts on it! :)

You can also check out the rest of her work. I liked Harem Boy but it's left like that, hanging, since she gave up on writing.

some hot pics....:msn_red_fox 8:msn_red_fox 8

• Like 3

more:msn_red_fox 3:msn_red_fox 3

WARNING 18+

• Like 3

final :D

and the BEST pic ever :Red_fox7:

• Like 4

Isn't that from Taming Riki, Panda16? :D

I know the first one portrays the last scene of Book I. With the cherry blossoms swirling around them.

I had that saved somewhere but can't find it at the moment.

Anyway I thought I'd share something interesting connected to AnK or better said to Iason.

Yesterday on my English course lesson I encountered Mink as a word.

I don't know why but previously I haven't thought of checking up the word and it's going to be my future surname! xD

It said that it was some kind of animal...

so today I googled mink and I came upon different meanings.

the first one was something like: group of girls that are awesome and everyone wants to be like them, to be a mink.

then it was the animal mink (that people kill and make coats of -.-)

aaand then something interesting came up:

Being or having extraordinary, high class, and/or expensive qualities.

Now that fits our Iason, you have to admit!

here's some more:

Wise, mischievous, clever and naughty. A 'cheeky' trickster (n.), or (adj.) used to describe something riddled with contradictions, surprises and intrigue. The term has evolved to describe everything from an unclean denizen on the street who may also be an expert secretly in the know, to the opposite of anything related to wealth, excess and exclusivity - often to do with sex.

Hope this was useful to you xD

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I just found out something absolutely great!

This year Ai no Kusabi is getting Volume 7 and Volume 8 of the books, published by June Manga.

Volume 7 will be released on the 29th of August and Volume 8 on the 26th of December.

As far as I have managed to find out, V7 is available for pre-order on akadot (for those who live in the US it's cheaper but I am sure the rest of you know it's a bit pricey otherwise) and on bookdepository.

The books are not expensive at all so I suggest all fans support and buy the novels!

For V8 it's too early to even be on pre-order so I suppose we will have to wait a few more months.

I hope that you can find this useful.

• Like 2

Incredible story. Thanks for the downloads. I've started with the new ones. That made me realize I need to watch the older version. Thanks so much for the info about the whole production - from its origins, the characters, the stories, and the versions. It enables people like me to appreciate what it's all about, and made it even more entertaining. :)

• Like 2

Statement:

ANK remake was 2008/2009 in Japan confirmed as a project with 13 episodes. However, in the interview, the first edition in 2012 confirmed that there are now only 12 episodes. These are published as sections. Part 1 includes the first 4 ova's. Since I have so far still no confirmation from Japan that are only 4 parts mentioned.

For till now i dont have any new info about the OVA'S.

BIG thank to GADRIEL for the infos on ANK remake.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

ANK OF left a message (well two now) that the complete set of OVA's will be aired in July at AT-X.

Doesn't sound this very nice .. seems they will continue if they air now again all 4 episodes we might be lucky and they continue with the production ^__^

Here's the schedule:

「間の楔 ~petere 檻獣~」

2012年7月1日(日)27:00~27:30

「間の楔 ~pardo 折翼~」

2012年7月8日(日)27:00~27:30

「間の楔 ~congressus 邂逅~」

2012年7月15日(日)27:00~27:30

「間の楔 ~retino 淫縛~」

2012年7月22日(日)27:00~27:30

Ok, and since SailorRishi asked me .. here are some informations about the ANK Remake which I have posted once.

I checked the OF site (2nd April 2012) and here is some eye candy you'll get from ComoComi if you'll buy 'retino'

FACTS:

All BR are Region Free .. so you can play it anywhere:

-petere- extras in the limited Edition or LE:

Booklet

Pet Ring

Key Chain Riki

Synchro Script

Bonus Video: PV

none credit OP + ED

First Edition: special jacket of Naoyuki Onda

-pardo-

none credit ED

Synchro Script

special PV

Key Chain Iason

Booklet

Music Box 'Theme ANK' - signed Rieko Yoshihara

-congressus-

Booklet

Key Chain Guy

Synchro Script

special drawn Box to store the complete set ^.^

special PV

none credit ED

-retino-

Key Chain Katze

3D Crystal Iason

Booklet

Synchro Script

special PV

none credit ED

hope this could help you all out a bit

source OF site ANK 2012

here you can pick up splendid Wallpapers:

here are some Twitter-Icons:

Banner for your website:

special campaign postcards:

specials you'll get at certain shops if you'll buy the stuff there:

some nice chara piccies:

and here is the entry to our HEAVEN:

DMP will release 'ANK Novel 7' 29th August 'ANK Novel 8' 26th December 2012. You can preorder it already at AMZ. Or get them directly at AKADOT the DMP Online Retailer!

Besides DMP will restock/reprint the Volumes 1-6 this summer so that fans get their hands onto all Volumes at once.

and about the Interview and all those questions about the Novels .. here you go:

again .. like I once stated .. as far as I remember the Interview of Riha with the nice DMP Lady (Yoko Tanigaki Sales Manager DMP) .. nope, they won't translate the new versions (redone) of ANK Novels now but they are using the covers of the Tokuma Shoten editions 5+6 as DMP 7+8.

The nice Lady didn't even know that they've been redone at all. But they might consider one day to get the license of the Tokuma Shoten Volumes 1-4 and then we might get the redone versions after all. ^__^ But she said that they don't do that now or soon. But if we fans might be very persistant .. who knows. They might 'revisit the idea later' like Tanigaki-san said. She also said that they might look into the idea to just license the art of all 6 Tokuma Shoten Cover/Images Designs and use those if they reprint the complete series.

Riha really gave everything she had and got the ideas and wishes of fans out to DMP Sales Manager Tanigaki.

She also stated the they are reconsidering to reprint/restock 'all previous volumes'.

And if you want your stuff directly 'hot from the printer' get your stuff from Akadot. They'll get served first!!!! Because they are the online-Retailer owned by DMP itself.

Kill me if you want or if I'm mistaken slap me to death - but that's what my mind did understand and kept burned into my brain. As sad as it seems/is .. doesn't look as if DMP or someone else will ever get their hands onto those slightly changed versions if we aren't persistant.

• Like 3

Does anyone know where I could buy hard-copies of the novels? I've been trying to search all over the web, but those that I find look suspicious or have sky-high prices...I downloaded novel 1-6....but I want to have the real thing T^T