Transsexual Thai air hostesses: gimmick or equality?

yojichan

Yes, it's all over the news, folks!

It got me all curious.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with this. The main point is that job opportunities should be open to anyone who is qualified regardless of gender, age, beliefs, etc.

Although i kinda prefer 'flight attendant' than hostesses..it's such a mouthful to pronounce.

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• robertita

• yojichan

• tiger lily

I agree that job oppertunities should be open to any gender as long as they are qualified to do it. People have to realize this, but unfortunatly there are some people who are going to be not so open minded about the whole ordeal. Its really disturbing that some people are so fixated on beleivng that only specifc "genders" can mantain certain jobs!!! It makes me wonder what kind of world we live in.

Whether it's a gimmick or not doesn't really matter. The flight attendants are happy at their jobs and that's what matters. Whether they were hired as a gimmick or maybe it was to say, "Hey, look world, there's nothing wrong with them and they're great workers." Regardless of the reasons, as long as the flight attendants are treated equally and fairly and are happy with their jobs and their company, then that's what makes a difference. I don't see it as exploitation when you give someone "different" a job and treat them like you would any other employee. Therefore, so long as they are truly happy, I think this was a good move on the airline's part.

Let us also point out that these people have been given jobs in a streamlined industry and not forced to do sex work that they may not be interested in. The company has extended a helping hand to the transgender community and I personally think it's up to their transgender employees to decide whether they feel they're being exploited or not. For now, it looks like they don't feel that is the case and I think they have the last word on it. ^_^

Guest FujoshiFTW

Honestly, the rest of the world should be this open-minded.

I think it's because of the stereotypical image that transgenders and general "no straight" people have to the general public that spark this idea of "recruiting transgenders and all those other "not normal" people will become problematic". Personally, I think that, if they do the right thing and excel in their job, why not have them on jobs such as flight attendants? It's better than paying a good-for-nothing "straight" male or female that's not doing their work properly the same wage, since they're "the right gender".

I support Mew and her friends. I just hope most of the world does too.

• 1 year later...

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.

And you know, the boards of that airlines were my seniors from my beloved university ne, My Cherry ;)

• 1 year later...

I think Thailand is the most LGBT friendly out of all the Southeast Asian countries. I'm from Malaysia and I know that transgenders can get arrested just by being who they are in the public. Majorities of Malaysians are Islam but they are other religions as well. I'm a Buddhist.