~°~ Destination - The Coffee Prince of all Coffee Shops (South Korea) ~°~

Saga

coffee+shop+korea.jpg

While enjoying my coffee,thinking about something to write in an article,the idea of doing a research about coffee in South Korea was born.

We all know Asia for its tea tradition,but believe me I would never imagine how much Koreans enjoy coffee. Well,in general of course. There are always exceptions,indeed.

But before going for the main topic,I'd like to go back in time,as always,and see how coffee was discovered and how it became so popular in South Korea.

historyofcoffee.gif

I won't go in much details,only the most important and interesting things about the history of coffee. After all,it's about Asia we talk about,not other cultures. But nothing will be lost,if I drown you for a second in the bitter taste of coffee and its history.

Basically,we'll mention a legend. That's right. From the researches I did,the legend caught my interest.

Kaldi is the name of an ordinary man that every morning went to feed his goats,taking them outside when weather seemed to allow doing so. One day though he noticed his goats eating something that they seemed to enjoy,but as well something that made them hyper. So hyper that they couldn't sleep during the night.

And it repeated every time they got near these certain trees. Kaldi contacted people that were in the speciality of inventing,of course. Later on,the news about this odd tree reached Arabia. Arabs were the first to invent coffee. So they opened the golden box and did a great job using coffee as a way to do business.

Well,it can't be certain how and who first tasted the bitter taste of it in South Korea,but the fact that South Korea is the eleventh biggest industry when it comes to coffee talks about fast consuming and raising sales on the certain product.

COFFEE ADDICTION

Have you watched the Korean drama 'Coffee Prince'? I recommend it. But that's not the point,actually,there is a real coffee shop under that name.

That's right. Coffee shops are something common in South Korea.You can even see variations in style. Bet you didn't know there are special coffee shops where pet lovers can go with their pets. Okay,if you knew,how about the coffee buzz cans?

Similar to coke can,but coffee,Koreans enjoy to get the buzz taste of coffee.

Personally,I liked that many coffee shops offer the home feeling you get at your house while drinking coffee. The style and design they get for their shop is not only modern and woah one,but there are shops designed as if you are in a living room. This can get you comfortable,if you've got some lunch break you want to spend in the coffee shop. Relaxing,I bet.

Cupcake or Love?

I have to mention,not really,I want to mention the different sweets you get offered in a coffee shop. But Koreans refer the coffee as a way to enjoy your time with your lover,or your besties.

That said,I went through the pleasure to watch different commercials. Coffee commercials,of course.

None showed these beautiful decorated and tasty cupcakes you can find in a coffee shop. What I saw was mainly the warming feeling a cup of coffee can give,right next to your precious one.

Here a commercial I'd like you to see.

But when you give it a thought,many believe that Asians are cold people. That's not true. They can find the happiness in the smallest things. Even if it's a cup of coffee. And as a person who studies human mind for years,I'd like to share something that some of you might have thought about it,or not. But let me set it as a thing you can think on. What it seems to be cold is actually warm and what it seems to be warm is actually cold. Keep this in mind and don't be with the false impression that Asians are cold people.

Offer them a cup of coffee and enjoy a conversation you'll remember your whole life. (:

So,ready to share the coffee,folks?

Saga©

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saga

• Miro

• Rei

• BRIDGET

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed the article, as always. All your articles so far were very interesting. What was cool was that I was just finishing the coffee I didn't manage to finish in the morning and I saw this article and read it lol I was even picturing myself enjoying my coffee in a comfty Korean coffee shop :D

Interesting article dear..as always...even coming from coffee hater like me...hahah.. naaa.. I liked the story though.. and very true..never trust in the looks...heheh...

Btw..do you know if they grow their own variety of coffee? And I always thought that coffee was brought from South America....

Thanks,Bridget.

So far, I mentioned the coffee buzz can they seem to adore. I am not sure if it's their creation,but from what I read - seems so.

The article is very very interesting. I'm ashamed to admit, but even if I'm a coffee addict, I didn't know any of the things in the article, not about the legend of how coffee was discovered, not that Koreans like coffee and that they have different types of coffee shops, yeah, nothing :D Thank you so much for the awesome article! :)

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Interesting article - I've seen Coffee Prince KDRAMA and I always thought that they were introducing coffee to the city in the drama, it never really occurred to me that they loved drinking it so much, south Korea became the 11th biggest industry to sell it and drink it lol