Hiragana (ひらがな)

Saga

HIRAGANA

inei-hiragana.gif

I thought a lot of variations about doing the lesson easy to get,not long and not boring. It's hard to harmonize these three things. Well,at least I'll try to make it be nothing more than an interesting talk,na?

Don't put the bandage around head with the Japanese flag drawn there,lol. We are not in movies, just take it as an article about something interesting. Be curious and don't sit with the note book right away to write down things. I told you,read and think. Later on - write.

Things you should know about Hiragana

• Hiragana is not kanji,none of the symbols are kanji. Remember it,it's a writing system,not a kanji system.

• Every single character,in general, has an order of writing.

• Hiragana is the basic of Japanese language,your first steps into the language.

• There are 48 characters in Hiragana.

For now,these things you should try to keep in mind. Of course,there are more things to mention - but stressing out the brain will do no good.

HIRAGANA SYMBOLS (click on each character to see the order of writing it down)

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.

K

S

T

N

H

M

Y

R

W

N

A few last words, as a teacher I suggest you and advice you to not try write them all the same way you see them. Of course,the symbol should be written well,but don't try to copy it. We all have different handwriting,so keep it in mind.

Also,I'll give you a link to a video. You should know how to pronounce them. (:

It's a child's alphabet song. ;D

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saga

• BRIDGET

• Chaicha

• Kisecchi

Top Posters In This Topic

(:

There is not only one difference.

I said that Hiragana is not kanji,pretty true. Hiragana is the basic of everything. To know how to pronounce the certain kanji,you should know its reading. Depending on if it's a Japanese reading,or Chinese one - you use Hiragana or Katakana.

Hiragana is used to write down words that don't have kanji for them,or when you have to put some verb in a formal way,you add the formal sufix with hiragana. Also,when you don't know what kanji to use to write down someone's name,before asking them,you can use Hiragana. In a point of view to not mistake the name's kanji and offend the person. (:

Basically, Hiragana is the pure Japanese,but of course this is a little bit historical topic. I might talk about it in a few days. While kanji comes from Chinese,but Japanese put on them their own meaning and spelling.

This thread is great! Than you very much! I can understand them better now, it doesn't look so hard now, until I try to remember them :D

So.. dearest I have a question... in every day japanese, both are mixed? I mean.. ppl writting a letter or sth mix both Hiragana and Katakana? for example kids at school.. they use hiragana to suply the non-existant kanji? you might have replied to this one..and I apologize if you did...

Now,XD

You mentioned four different things,dear.

Everyday Japanese is not only Hiragana and Katakana. There are Kanji,slangs and new daily born words. As we make up words in our native language to be more original. They do the same and they decide in what way to write it,type it,say it.

In letters,here depends what letter.

If it's a love letter XD .... up to you,but supposedly you should consider two things. If you are gonna do a well written love letter,you should use kanji. The other person might find you for an idiot to use only hiragana and katakana,but for example,you are in high school.

But if you use too many kanji... you might get to make them frustrated at so many difficult things written in the letter. Might think some nerd did it,lol. Depends on one's point of view. If they like you back,they'll spend some time with the dictionary. XD

If it's a letter to a friend,you mix hiragana,katakana and kanji too. Just should keep the formal speech away. Except if you are not acting as a rock star to get your friend laughing. XD

If it's a letter to resign or something... man,better take out the dictionary,lol. And the letter way of speech in general is different from the direct speech.

But kids,yes. They use hiragana a lot. Especially in elementary school while learning kanji.

Hiragana is used for native words that don't have kanji,I should make this clear as one function of hiragana. (:

Oh my and you don't want us to be scared of Japanese? lmao.. I mean.. basically in writting the mix the 3?, even when they create a new word? I thought there was a limited nº of kanji with a particular meaning.-.. I know.. you'll explain kanji later, but.. you know I'm a language student so... lmao.. I'll be patient, try to understand what you're explaining and practice ...

It's not Chinese to use only kanji,dear. (:

But well, he who wants to be good at something should know nothing is easy.

Well,I'll do a kanji thread ttyhese days,so you might understand,or not a few other things,lol. Don't do the mistake to jump into the pool without being sure your shoes won't drag you down to drown. (:

lmao... Mr Philosopher... I never jump on the pool with shoes and not bef knowing my posibilities of floating.. lmao...

Roger... :p I'll be patient

Thank you Bridget for notifying me that I've missed the "O" symbol in the first part. (:

I'll ask for your pardon. ;P

• 1 month later...

sensei! *raising hand*

you mention there are 48 character,,, but I only see 46 character.

the " and the 'o' are missing

I'm kinda little forgot (please correct me if I'm wrong). it's right when we use the " symbol to the T part like Ta, it will change into Ga? and if we use 'o' with the ha character it's change into Fa???

The rest are in the other lessons. You talk about the markers,ten-ten marker (") and maru marker ( ° )

That's right,they are called voiced letters. Go in the rest hiragana lessons,the other part is there.

Yes,they are used in Handakuten and Dakuten. You can check it later,of course. The lessons are there,no hurry. (:

Remember that,they aren't letters,but markers.

hihihi :D

so after I learned the Hiragana, where should I go next? Handakuten and Dakuten part? or Katakana first?

and I'm so sorry if I ask you too much

Finish the whole hiragana lessons first because you won't get the Katakana lessons. Everything is chained.

After this thread, go to ''Handakuten/Dakuten'' and then to ''Hiragana last guide''. (: Follow the same order for Katakana lessons. I suggest you to go on our brother site ''AsiaOtaku'' because I haven't posted some lessons on here,but they are on there. Besides,you can follow the order they were posted when you start from the oldest one. (:

• 4 months later...

i remember i was rushing my thesis when i felt the sudden urge to study writing hiragana. i was torn with which one i should prioritize (of course i know the right answer would be my thesis) but oh well, i followed my instinct and just studied how to write hiragana (using vids i found on the internet, since i read that there is a correct order of each stroke in a single character) for the peace of my mind. Unfortunately, i've forgotten how to do it. so i'm back for some lessons... Thanks for starting this thread. looking forward to learning with all of you! :)

• 4 years later...
  • 4 months later...

OHHH s.one help plzzzzzzzzz meeeeeeee!!! i'm soooo confused !!! o_O

i've learnt Korean n Chinese myself , but i can't get the Jap writing !!!!!! I'd prefer to study in Romaji cheetah16cheetah15cheetah6:leaf16::leaf7:yoyo7:Red_fox5:onion3onion8