~°~ Destination - Japan ( Bunraku) ~°~

Saga

BUNRAKU

3cdddbf93aa817878700386ab441dfc9.jpg

As a person who lives in a world full with daily 'masked theatre', I found myself thinking about "Bunraku".The beautiful land of this art puts a spell over the people since 1684.

" 文楽 " ,basically this is the modern term. "Bunraku" is a puppet show,a theatre. Let's head for the kanji meaning. The first part ( 文 ) with reading "bun"holds the meaning of 'literature'. Without a doubt,although a show it's considered as a part of art,yet an educating art. And since the emotions are strongly expressed in this traditional theatre through music and chanters,here it comes the second meaning of the rest of this kanji ( 楽 ) with reading "raku". With right,the meaning is 'music,comfort,ease'.

But now,let's leave the word's structure and talk about the similarities between the life and bunraku.

If you ask me,I got this in my head and I cannot stop thinking how people came to even discover the puppery,like at all. Be it out of boredom,or out of imagination, what if someone wanted to present their own life through it because of the speech limitation on the people of ancient times?

According to what I have read,puppetry finds its 'birth' in Egypt,then later on even in Rome and Greece.

Travelling in time and all around the world the puppet theatre meets all kind of sparkles coming from the society. Of course,our distination,as I said,is Japan. The year of 1612 ,in Osaka, a particular theatre presented the art of puppetry. The old term was "Ningyou jyoururi",but because the puppeteering ensemble was named 'Bunrakuza' later,it sets the modern (if can be called "modern") term.

BUNRAKU as a part of our lives

Basically,the structure of Bunraku is categorized in three performing sections.

- Ningyoutsukai, those who are puppeteers;

- Tayuu, the chanters;

- Shamisen players.

When you give it a thought,the Japanese traditional theatre reveals a well-known truth. If we start backwards on the things I listed. Shamisen players,better I explain what shamisen means,what do you think?

Shamisen is a traditional instrument in Japan. It plays such beautiful melodies,of course not by itself,ahahah. Not talking about a music box,it's a string categorized instrument. Not the right article now to go in details about shamisen.

So let's go back to our referring. Putting the pieces under puzzle,in my head I order the things this way,shamisen players being the pawns in society,chanters the orators,but then who is gonna be the puppeteer?

Speaking of that,here it comes Bunraku to help. Except the main characters in Bunraku,everything should be in black. Even the puppeteers are dressed in black. Then,should we take this as a hint and say that the one controlling the world hides in shadows? - pretty much,indeed.

Having his chanters and shamisen players,he who "pulls" the strings of the beautiful doll is able to engrave different emotions in the society.And that's what 'Bunraku' is about. Presents the conflicts in society and in human's emotions.

Saga©

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aoi

• Saga

• Macys

• miyahara_sama

Top Posters In This Topic

A very interesting article regarding Bunraku.

I heard this term many times before but I was to ignorant to search about it. It was even a movie named Bunraku, but I didn't know from where comes the title :)

Thanks for the great article! :)

Thank you,Aoi!

The movie with GACKT? (:

If so,I thought about giving it as an example,but it would change the historical atmosphere I tried to put. (:

Yes, Saga, exactly! The movie with Gackt... I heard the title but didn't know what is Bunraku :)

But the article has a great historical atmosphere indeed :)

I didn't know that Bunraku is a theatre. I liked very much this part 'he who "pulls" the strings of the beautiful doll is able to engrave different emotions in the society.' Very nice article, I enjoyed a lot reading it! :)

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

What a fascinating article. Hach, the longer I read up about Japan and it's amazing culture, the more I feel as if I have to make a long journey there after I finish my qualification to celebrate. :cuteonion37: And I'd better start planning now if I want to see as much as I possibly can in that beautiful country.

Arigatō gozaimasu!