Ultra Blue [confidant_v & StainedCrimson]

confidant_v

Livius just stares at the other with a blank look. "Your form and pacing was very good, however..." He pauses and his lips purse slightly. "Do you really think that the only gifts you offer come in the form of material things? That Lord Stillang, that we cobalts, are only interested in such?" Granted, there are those that most certainly are, or at least more easily enticed with material goods.

With a soft sigh he shakes his head, looking off to the side he takes a moment to gather his thoughts. Speaking slowly, almost as though thinking aloud and yet aware he is teaching something to someone who has never had a very kind upbringing. "There is much more that can be gifted. Traits and promises. For instance, you can give him the gift of your loyalty, your support, and to try to be someone who can help both him and the clan grow." Livius sighs again, but this time it is almost wistful. "Perhaps I should loan you one of our books. It is a love story, one of our clan's favorite legends. It is about someone who seeks to marry the cobalt leader, and while having less than other prospects to offer in terms of wealth or political ties, had much more to offer as a partner and person."

Shaking himself slightly he refocuses on Catriona. "The point of the offering of gifts is not what you can bring that is material or physical, but to show what you can offer as an individual. What you're willing to learn and do for that person and theirs. Even those other than the leader follow the same ceremony, it is just on a smaller scale and may include only family and close friends." In short, it a cultural custom and not just a political one.

Lightly Livius sets a hand on the mercury's shoulder. "I suggest that you think of what you're willing to offer of yourself and willing to learn or do. Granted, if you have something to offer like a political connection, money, or offer to give him and the clan many heirs then all the better. Grand romantic gestures only count for so much after all."

With that he starts to walk away, but pauses for a moment as he realizes he hadn't answered the last question. "As for a proposal not being accepted, nothing happens. There's just no celebration and most leave in shame or embarrassment. Other than saying 'no' however, there is no dire consequence or anything like that." Finished, he continues on his way.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StainedCrimson

• confidant_v

Catriona looked after Livius as he left, his mind attempting to wrap around everything the man had said. It all seemed so obvious and yet so distant to the young mercury. Did he really not have to give any sort of material thing to Stillang in order for him to accept him as a partner? The idea that Catriona could walk up to him and simply offer himself, his loyalty, his love, and whatever else he felt in his heart seemed like it wasn't enough. There had to be more. There simply had to be more to it than that.

Then again the Cobalts were far different than the Mercuries. Catriona spent his life attempting to gain and gain and gain. Everyone did. His mother had done so, his father, even his brothers before they died always worked to gain something. A physical something to show off their pride or knowledge or excellence. Catriona's own life could be displayed in his clothes, his jewelry, the mercury statues he liked to build, trinkets and lavish furnishings, and whatever else was befitting of a prince. He always had something to show. There was always something physical to show.

It was probably why he went out of his way to give Stillang the mercury horse statue and the earring. Those two items, however, were not simply things. They were tokens. One, a token of remorse, and the other, a token of gratitude and perhaps even love. He wanted Stillang to have those things. He desired for him to have those things. They were more than just physical objects Catriona gave to the cobalt leader. They were representations of his sorrow and his desire. They were little pieces of Catriona that he wanted Stillang to have as his own.

Then again Livius wasn't so much saying that material items were completely useless. He did explain that romance only went so far after all. Perhaps then the key was balance. That seemed to be a trait in the cobalt culture that the mercury culture was severely lacking. Balance. Physical gifts were great, but meant nothing if there wasn't a true intent behind them. There was much to think about, but all Catriona had been doing since he got here was thinking. His world had been turned upside down and his mind was reeling from the shock of it. So much of the learning he grew up with was unraveling itself each and every day he spent in the Cobalt Kingdom and new learnings were forcing their way into his tired mind.

Well, he was happy to to dedicate himself to these learnings for Lord Stillang.

The rest of the day was spent with Catriona in his bedroom, practicing the walk and gestures he'd have to perform, as well as thinking about what "gifts" he'd offer to Stillang. Once he felt as if he had all of it committed to memory, he grabbed some of his jewels from his treasure box and headed back to the tailor Livius had taken him to. They had done an excellent job of creating a new wardrobe for him. While there were still several pieces that needed to be worked on he knew one piece would be perfect for this ceremony.

"Will you please help me put this on?"

Normally Catriona would immediately run towards anything bright red. Standing out was something he liked to do in the Mercury Kingdom. Not that he didn't already stand out as a royal who was an Arialoris, but he liked when the attention was placed on him. Striking colors such as red always helped with that, but today was different. Today was certainly a big day for him, but it was also a big day for Stillang. Out of the two of them Stillang should be the one looking the most impressive. Livius had said it and Catriona agreed. Rather than overshadow the man he was trying to win over he should humble himself. The word "humble" was never in the young mercury's vocabulary until he'd arrived at the Cobalt Kingdom, but now more than ever he needed to take it into consideration.

Which is why he decided on light, simple colors that almost never graced his body until today. He looked in the mirror and admired the sleeveless pantsuit, colored a lovely soft cream that slowly faded to a light delicate blue as it went down. The pant area was wide, enough so that the suit itself looked more like a dress. Frankly, he'd be surprised if people didn't mistake it for a dress. He loved the way the blue rested at the bottom of the pants; the delicate shift from cream to blue made him feel like he was resting on a cloud traveling across a beautiful blue sky. He'd never seen himself in something so... Modest. So sweet and tender. Long cream colored gloves that went to his elbow completed the look, or it almost did.

With a bow to the tailor, Catriona went back to his room and dug around in his treasure box for one more thing. He'd never worn

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.
he pulled out of the box, not once. It was never expressive enough for him, but today it was perfect. He used it to pull the front of his hair out of his face and secure it behind him. The white diamonds blended in well with his hair, enough that when looking directly at it one would probably only recognize the blue diamonds shining from him. He never thought he could feel beautiful wearing something so simple, but he loved it. He loved all of it.

Now he simply awaited orders. He was ready to propose to Stillang... Or as ready as he'd ever be.

Just as Catriona is finished with getting ready, there is a knock at the door and Livius opens the door. "It is time." He says softly then turns to lead the mercury to where the ceremony will be held. It's deeper into the compound than perhaps the other has ventured, or perhaps he just hasn't had the time or thought to look at the more formal areas of the cobalt clan's main home.

They stop before a set of large doors that are simply decorated, but intricate in the use of the various states of cobalt and showing off all of the colors that glory entails. "I leave you here. You will enter only when the doors are opened and the rest is as we practiced." He gives the younger male a small smile then turns to go join the others witnesses via a different entrance.

The wait is but a few short minutes, then the large doors quietly open to reveal a large room filled with cobalts. A long runner splits the room in two and ends at a throne-like seat where Stillang sits. His clothing is much like the door in that it is simplistic, but shows exquisite attention in the detail.

Sitting there, he watches as the doors open and mentally nods in approval of the other's choice in clothing. He had wondered what the other might wear, and if it would be something flashy or not. He is also curious as to what the other has decided upon for his proposal gifts. Mostly, though, the cobalt leader is enjoying the looks of shock, disbelief, and myriad of other reactions to the sight of Catriona being on the other side of the doors.

Basking in the reactions from his clan, he gives a subtle signal that things are to start thus causing the cobalts to still, and waits for his little mercury to begin.

Staring at the closed doors only made Catriona's nerves rise. Part of him wanted to run away, disappear into oblivion to never be seen again. The confident prince found himself wondering if this would really work, if Stillang would find him a suitable partner. The same doubts continued to run through his mind. There were so many others who could better fit the role of spouse. The fact he could become pregnant was a plus, but it couldn't be the only thing. Now that Stillang knew Arialoris existed he could go find one that was smarter, prettier, more experienced than Catriona. Nothing felt guaranteed in this moment. All of the suffocating passion, love, admiration, and desire Catriona felt for Stillang meant nothing if the Cobalt Leader decided the young Mercury Prince was unfit to be his partner.

"Calm down, Catriona, calm down. Don't think this way until it's happened. Deal with it then. Until then, try your best. Remember all of the gifts you thought of. Remember Livius' training. Just focus. Just breathe. Just focus."

The little pep talk helped, but only until the doors opened. Catriona was momentarily blinded by the light that shined from the room, or perhaps it was just his own nerves that blocked his view of everything. The gasps and murmurs didn't go unheard by him. The clan certainly didn't expect the spoiled heir of the Mercury clan to want to marry Stillang. He was sure that most of them hadn't gotten a chance to see how he'd grown and changed. For them, he was probably still the nasty, arrogant, horrible young man who was far too entitled for his own good. That boy may not have necessarily disappeared entirely, but Catriona had certainly learned to harness all of that energy into something more tasteful.

Not that they mattered. Well... They did matter, but in this moment Catriona couldn't think about them or he'd faint. He didn't look for Livius in the crowd, nor Altria and her sister, nor Tam or his friends. He kept his eyes on the man that so easily stole his heart. He had already committed the steps Livius had explained to memory. Performance was one of his better skills. The movements and actions were nothing compared to what he'd have to say. When the time came to pause, Catriona did so, waited for the nod from Stillang, then began to speak.

"I'm so nervous, Lord Stillang," he said without thinking. Whatever he had intended to say had gone out the window in the presence of the man he so deeply cared for. "I've never been this nervous in my life. Though, I suppose this is proof of how much you mean to me. I wouldn't feel this way if I didn't care so strongly for you. When I came here I never expected to have my heart taken by another man. Turned out to be a pleasant surprise."

When he reached the proper point, Catriona bent on his knees, bowed his head slightly, and held his hands out with his palms up. "I have a few gifts I'd like to offer you, Lord Stillang, in hopes you find them acceptable. Though know that I'd attempt to give you the impossible, my lord. I'd give you the moon and every star in the sky if I could. I'd dive to the depths of the ocean and grab all of the hidden treasures there. There's truly nothing I wouldn't give you." Catriona would give Stillang his beating, silver, bloody heart if he wanted it, though that didn't seem the best thing to say in front of the clan.

"My first gift is one of convenience and politics. Your marriage to me will give you direct connection to the Mercury Kingdom. It would be easier to engage in trade with us and we could even provide you with military assistance if you needed it. Even something as simple as tourism could open many different avenues between the two kingdoms. Overall, an easier time engaging with political and economical policies with the Mercury Kingdom is something I happily offer you.

I also offer you my talent for the arts. Aside from politics I hope to give back to the Cobalt clan in another way. I'd be happy to teach the young ones, or anyone who may be interested, various artistic skills. Singing, dancing, painting, certain instruments, sculpting. It'd be my honor to give back to the clan in this way. While I understand you have your own worthy instructors for such things, you can also count on me to do my best to encourage such learnings."

That was the easy gift to offer. Everything else shook Catriona to his core, but he took a deep breath and continued.

"I had difficulty deciding which of these next gifts were most important. They're all so very important, I think. Their value differs only slightly, my lord. Just ever so slightly. The next gift I offer you is both to you and your clan, and it is my loyalty. I'm aware that Mercuries are... We're not the most trusted people in the world. Know that you'll never have to question where I stand. I will always remain by your side until the day I leave this earth. I'll be a trustworthy partner to you, one you can always count on and rely on. I'll never let you down. I'll never betray you. I'd die before anything such as that happened, Lord Stillang.

Next, I offer you my love. It's a simple thing, but you'll always have it. You'll always have my chest to rest your head on when you're weary. You'll always have my ear when you need someone to listen to you. You'll always have my hand to squeeze when you need someone's touch. I'll keep the world at bay when you need time to simply breathe. All of these offers will stand for the rest of our lives. Lord Stillang, you added a new hue to my monotonous silver and I hope I can add a new hue to your blue with all the love I'll give you."

Catriona took a deep breath. For him, the moment of truth was finally upon him.

"I offer another gift to you, which is strangely a secret. I offer this gift to you right here and now, and I offer it to your clan as well. There are few privy to this secret outside of the Mercury Clan, if any. For your precious clan members, I find it appropriate to reveal it to them. If I'm to be yours, then they deserve a gift as well, no?" Another deep breath. "I offer all of you, the clan and Lord Stillang, the secret of the Arialoris. We're a special type of Mercury... Men who have the ability to give birth. And of course, I am one of them." Catriona stopped speaking at the few gasps and whispers that filled the space. Only when everyone quieted down did he continue, his heart pounding hard enough that he was sure he'd die right here and now. "Which leads me to my next gift. I'd be happy, so very happy, to give you a child, Lord Stillang. And with the gift of an heir I offer my next gift, which is to love that child with everything inside of me. You will not have to fear the harsh environment I grew up with effecting my love for the child. I want my child--your child--to be nurtured, taken care of, and loved. I'll love the child unconditionally, Lord Stillang." Catriona laughed lightly. "I don't think I've ever said the word 'unconditionally' in my life. For you, though, and for my child you can believe that I would die for the both of you. I'll never allow the terrors I was raised with to reach this child. I will teach them to sing. I will teach them to play instruments. I will teach them to create sculptures. Oh Lord Stillang, I will simply love you and this child with all I have."

Catriona swallowed hard, suddenly wishing he had water and perhaps a bed to rest his frazzled body on. "With these gifts, Lord Stillang, I ask you to accept me as your partner. Your spouse. I love you so much and I hope my gifts showed that today." With that, Catriona lowered his head and waited for the Cobalt leader's response.

Stillang is both surprised and pleased with the gifts that Catriona offers, and how he does it. Keeping a straight face, he slowly looks over those in his clan that are in attendance. There is a mixture of reactions. Some are angry, disgusted. Others are confused or indifferent. Some, a fair number even, are interested and excited at the proposal and gifts the mercury is offering. While by no means poor, weak, or vulnerable, the cobalts are still a transitional clan and not viewed with much warmth or welcome by others except other transitionals. This means an alliance with a clan like the mercury clan would be an amazing boo.

Standing, the others go silent and wait to hear what their leader has to say. "I hear your gifts, and thank you for them." He says softly. The cobalts all seem to hold their breath as they wait to hear what his decision the leader of the cobalts is. Stepping down, he raises his hands. "I hear your proposal and...." He pauses causes a sharp intake of breath. "I accept it. I offer gifts of my own."

Stopping halfway to Catriona, he raises his own hands. "My first gift is to give you a place to call home. A place where you feel welcome, wanted, and cared for. I will work with you, and beside you, as a partner and husband." Looking down at the kneeling mercury he continues. "My second gift is that of my loyalty and time. Loyalty and time for us to grow together, a chance to grow a love as deep and strong as the ocean."

Pausing, he takes a slow breath before smiling. "My final gift to you is that of a loving family with children who will never want for love or attention, and be able to share that love with you without fear of it being used against them or viewed as a weakness. I speak not only of our children, but of your new family and clan."

Going down to one knee Stillang holds out his hands to the mercury. "Do you accept my gifts and my acceptance of yours, and in doing so agree to marry me?" When Catriona agrees and places his hands in Stillang's, he raises them up so they're standing and faces the crowd, holding their joined hands high for all to see. "To our betrothal!" He calls out with a smile.

"So witnessed and blessed!" The cobalts answer back, and most seem genuinely happy or content. A few are upset or disgruntled, but they consist mostly of the others trying to catch the cobalt leader's eye and so were upset over not being chosen. Leaving the formal room the newly engaged pair are swept away to where a fest and party have been set up and soon is going full blast to celebrate.

Catriona almost didn't believe he had heard correctly. Stillang accepted his proposal? He truly accepted him and wanted to be his husband. The young mercury's breath caught in his throat as his head shot up to look at the man he so dearly cared for. Forcing himself to breath, he watched as Stillang walked closer to him and listened to the words he said. Tears formed in Catriona's eyes as Stillang offered him things he never knew he so desperately wanted. A caring home. A loving family. Kind friends. A place where he was welcomed rather than viewed as an outsider or worse, some strange creature that shouldn't exist. All his life he'd been seeking a place to call home and Catriona finally found it here with the Cobalts and Stillang.

Stillang continued to offer his gifts, and eventually asked Catriona that one special question. "Yes!" Catriona cried through his tears with no hesitation. "Yes, yes! I accept your gifts. I accept you. Yes yes yes I'll marry you, Stillang." Catriona couldn't contain his grin as he was presented as Stillang's new betrothed. This was all a dream. It all had to be a dream. These types of wonderful things didn't happen to someone like him. Surely, he'd wake up from this dream in his own bedroom with his father screaming at him about something.

But until then he'd enjoy this fantasy. The new couple were swept away to where a large celebration was held. When was the last time Catriona had celebrated? The food looked incredible, music was playing, the room was decadent and beautiful, and it was all for them. All for Catriona and Stillang. "Oh!" Catriona was shaken from his admiration of the room when something crashed into him. That something was none other than little Tam, grabbing his best friend in a tight hug around his waist. Without wasting a moment, Catriona returned the hug, a warm smile forming on his face. "And what's this for, Tam?"

"I'm so happy for you, Catri! And you too, Lord Stillang!" Tam focused his attention on the other man, grabbing him in a hug as well. "You didn't tell me you were spending time with Lord Stillang like this, Catri! I wouldn't have been mad about you not hanging out with me!"

"I'm sorry, Tam."

"You're one of us now!" Tam barely let Catriona get a word in edge wise in his excitement. "You're a Cobalt now! Are you gonna live with us? Or are you gonna go back to the Mercury Kingdom? Maybe switch off? Can I visit you when you go back to the Mercury Kingdom? Is it dangerous? Is everything made of mercury? Is it toxic? Is Lord Stillang gonna live with you there too?"

"Mercy, child, give them a minute to enjoy their engagement before you bombard them with questions." Altria sauntered up to the group, bowing to both Catriona and Lord Stillang. "Congratulations, you two. Blessings upon you both." The chef would have teased young Catriona and reminisced about the first time they met had she not noticed something odd. She blinked a few times and tilted her head at the mercury before grinning widely. "Looks like Tam is right. You really are one of us." She grinned as she motioned for Lord Stillang to take a look at his new partner. Where they were standing the light hit them in such a way that Altria's skin reflected onto Catriona's silver. In that moment, he was no longer silver, but rather looked much any given person from the Cobalt Kingdom.

Though he couldn't see it, he appreciated Altria explaining what she saw. In his happiness, he held tightly to Stillang's hand and placed a light kiss on it. This small phenomena happened continuously throughout the night in various areas where the light hit him just right. Though, as the festivities continued, Catriona found himself more separated from Stillang. Many wanted to congratulate them; several of Stillang's admirers bowed to Catriona then shook his hand, squeezing a bit tighter than was necessary.

"Petty," Catriona whispered as one stepped away. He shook his hand out to get rid of the pain as he set out to look for his betrothed once again. "Stillang?" He soon found him and wrapped his arms around his chest, smiling up at the man who made his heart pound of his chest. Once things died down some he'd work to find Livius, but until then he'd enjoy this small moment with Stillang. "Will you dance with me, my love? Please?" The music had just changed to a slow, gentle ballad and all Catriona wanted to do was rest in his love's arms and enjoy his warmth.

Stillang enjoys the others happiness and surprise at him having accepted the proposal as well as his own gifts. During the celebratory party after, he lets the cobalts take his fiance a little ways from him knowing that they want to meet and see the mercury for themselves. That's not to say he lets the other be taken too far out from him, certainly not out of sight, but instead allows the other to learn to swim the waters a bit on his own.

Besides, he knows that Catriona won't stray far and is proven right when the other returns and squeezes his hand. Plus there's nothing dangerous here to worry about, or at least not near the level that would be found in the Mercury Clan's walls. When Altria and Tam come join them and give their own congratulations and welcome to his betrothed, Stillang gives them a small pleased smile. Seeing his people accept and welcome his chosen is something that makes him proud and happy.

The sudden hug takes him by surprise, but not for long. At the request, and the following endearment, he graces Catriona with a small warm smile. "Let us dance then." Shifting he takes hold of his small mercury and guides him in the dance, their bodies close except for the barest breath of space that was kept between them as was part of the dance itself. At the end the cobalt leader gently tilts the other's face up, a finger pushing under a silver chin, and places a light kiss upon the upraised lips.

Those who witness the act cheer and soon many others do as well, even when he pulls apart and gives a small smile and nod. Eventually things begin to die down as cobalts leave to go to bed or wander off. Stillang looks down at Catriona and gently brushes some hair out of the other's face. "It is time for us to part ways for now. We will have plans to make tomorrow and we'll want to be well rested for that."

He gives a faint smirk. "Try to get some sleep and not pine for me too much." With the light tease he gives a light parting kiss to the mercury before motioning someone over to make sure that he gets to his room. Naturally this proves to be Livius who gives a small bow with a smile.

"My lord... Catriona. Congratulations." The words are simple, but genuine. He looks at the mercury and smirks with an eyebrow rising. "Seems you had nothing to fear or be jealous of hmm?" Livius teases in a slightly haughty teasing tone before giving Stillang another bow before guiding the mercury away. "Let's be off then. You'll have much to deal with tomorrow and you'll want your energy for it."

Catriona was sure the disappointment showed in his expression when Stillang said they'd be separated tonight. After today's emotional rollercoaster Catriona doubted he'd do much except sleep, but he still wanted to join Stillang in his bed. Especially after getting another taste of those perfect lips, chaste as the kiss was. It still sent shivers down Catriona's spine and he could still hardly believe that he and the Cobalt leader were betrothed. He looked forward to what other things Stillang had to show him, but he knew there was no choice but to wait. One more day of waiting would be fine. One more day and Catriona could rest in his love's arms every night from here on out.

The disappointment on his face vanished when Livius seemed to glide up to them like the elegant thing he was. "There's still plenty to be jealous of, Livlus." Catriona returned the bow to show how much he respected this man whose friendship he almost destroyed from the very beginning. A new dream of Catriona's was to one day be a role model to some poor, helpless, possibly terrible person just as Livius was to him. With a wave to his new fiance, Catriona followed Livius away from the dying festivities. He was silent for the most part, content to just follow the man as they made their way to his room. Only when they were to separate did he bow his head to Livius.

"I hope to still learn from you, Livius. I think I see you as something of an older brother. You know... One who doesn't wish to drown me." Catriona chuckled softly, only now realizing how odd he must have sounded when so casually speaking about his attempted murder. In his heart he still felt calm about it; after all, it was nothing new for a kingdom as abrasive as the Mercury Kingdom, but he knew in his head how wrong it was. If he had more than one child the last thing he would want is to see them attempt to hurt one another let alone try to kill each other. "Should I find you your own little Arialoris when I eventually go back home? You'd like a mercury to call your own, wouldn't you?" Another small laugh escaped Catriona as he teased his friend. Though on the topic of Arialoris...

"You don't find me strange?" he asked, avoiding Livius' gaze as he shifted and squeezed his fingers. "Or... Disgusting? I overheard some people talking at the celebration and... Well, you can imagine what some of them are saying if you didn't hear it yourself. I just... I don't know. I care about what you think of me. I care about what the other clan members think of me too, but more so you. If I sicken you, then I wouldn't ask you to spend time with me anymore." Once Livius answers him, Catriona gives him another bow then retreats to his room.

Once inside he took off his clothes then flopped onto his bed. He recalled Stillang's words of not pinning for him while they were apart and Catriona knew he'd never be able to keep the promise. He wondered how much Stillang was thinking of him, if he knew that Catriona was simply staring at his ceiling while thinking about how nice it would be to lay in his arms. To kiss him. To touch him. Why did they have to be apart tonight? Well, he supposed they had the rest of their lives to laze in bed together. Sleep didn't come to him at all during the night, but there no sense of tiredness in him once morning came. With more enthusiasm than he felt his entire life, he jumped up, got ready and headed down for breakfast.

"Hello, Livius," he said when he arrived. "I'm excited to get started today. I'd like to learn what all is expected of me now."

These customs were new to him, but he wanted to learn them perfectly.

He was a cobalt now, after all.

Livius raises an eyebrow and lightly purses his lips. "If I thought such do you really think that I'd congratulate you or spend more time with you?" He sniffs. "Impertinent child." Sighing and waving a hand in a lazy dismissive gesture he continues. "Do I find a male who can give birth strange? Yes. Most would who did not know such a thing was possible. However, it allows you to give our lord his ideal outcome and make him happy. That is what matters more to me." He eyes the other out of the corner of his eye. "So with that in mind both of you had best live up to your gifts."

With his words passed along he heads back to his own quarters to relax for the remainder of the night. The cobalt enjoys the quiet and passes time with his thoughts before heading to bed. The next day he gets up a touch late as he had luxuriated in sleeping in for a change. Eventually he gets up and readies himself for the whirlwind that the now betrothed of Stillang will be.

True to his prediction, Catriona is firing off first thing. Without responding beyond an ever so slightly raised eyebrow, he looks at the young male while taking a long sip of his coffee, then slowly sets it to the side. "Good morning to you as well Catriona. I'm doing well this morning, thank you for asking." He states in a low, yet overly bright tone and showing far more teeth than necessary.

Breathing heavily out of his nose the cobalt takes another calming sip of his coffee before answering the other's question. "Now then. The first thing you'll need to do, before worrying about any expectations of your role besides eventually providing an heir, is to plan your wedding with Lord Stillang." He states in a slow tone as if speaking to someone incredibly dense.

Stillang walks in on the last part and laughs. "Be nice Livius. He's just excited. However," He looks over at Catriona with a faint smile. "he isn't wrong. We have much to do and before we can do anything to formalize our relationship" i.e. sex "we're going to have to have to get married first. That means picking a date, food, and of course invite people." Tilting his head, the cobalt leader taps an absent finger on the table. "Speaking of, how shall we inform your parents of our engagement and invite them to the wedding?"

If it were possible for Catriona skin to no longer look silver, now would be the time it happened. All of the color practically drained from his face at the mention of his parents. The young man had been so caught up in marriage bliss that he hadn't even thought of those horrible people. There was no way they could come to the wedding. Hell, Catriona didn't want them to even know about it. Frankly, his life would be easier if the two of them died tomorrow. Better harm come to them than harm come to him.

In his shock, Catriona simply stared at Stillang until someone came around and congratulated him with a hefty clap on his shoulder. He put on a smile and thanked the man before focusing back on the issue at hand. "I don't want them to come," he said simply, quietly so no one else around them could hear him. There were so many factors about this that Stillang didn't know. The truth was Catriona felt as if his life would be in danger if his parents found out about their engagement. This was the perfect excuse for Ares to finally finish the job he felt should have been done years ago. And his mother, Catarina... Catriona was even more frightened of her than he was of Ares. If Ares provided him with physical abuse, then Catarina was an expert in mental abuse.

"Can we talk about this in private, Stillang?" he asked, his voice seizing as he tried to hold back tears he didn't even know threatened to fall. "Please. I don't mind if Livius joins us, but otherwise...." He couldn't talk about this in public lest he have a full meltdown in front of the people he was working so hard to gain respect from. Once breakfast was over, Catriona met with Stillang in his office. His hands were trembling and he tried to steady them by combing them through his ponytail as he often did when stressed, but that proved ineffective. He took a few moments to gather himself and his thoughts, simply sitting in the chair and staring at the wall before he finally found the inner strength to speak.

"I understand fully that my parents must know of our engagement. However, I am... I suppose I'm frightened." He finally turned his head towards Stillang to look his soon to be husband in the eye. "You already know that Arialoris are looked down upon. I am no exception. My parents hate me for what I am. Even my mother who I'm named after can't believe she gave birth to me. They'd have no qualms if I decided to marry a woman, but if they found out I'm to marry a man..." He shook his head, nearly pulling his hair at this point. "I genuinely fear they'd attempt to kill me, Stillang. It sounds insane, but you know how the Mercury Clan is. Royals killing one another is a typical thing. It's insane; it's so mad, Stillang, but it's true. The embarrassment they'd feel knowing I wanted and planned to give birth would drive them over the edge. They wouldn't care if killing me destroyed any relationship that could form between the Cobalt and Mercury clans. They'd simply want me gone."

Catriona supposed he could simply exchange the throne for his life. Give up on being the prince of the Mercury Kingdom and dedicate himself wholly to the Cobalt Clan. However, he already promised Stillang assistance from the Mercury Clan as one of his proposal gifts and he certainly didn't want to go back on his word. Killing his parents was also an option for him. After all he was still a mercury at heart, but he wasn't sure how keen Stillang would be on that.

"I don't know what to do."

• 2 weeks later...

Stillang isn't particularly surprised by Catriona's initial reaction to the question. In fact, the only other response he would have epected was excitement at the chance to rub the whole affair in his parents' faces. The request to speak in private surprises him a touch though. The cobalt leader sits and waits for the explanation for the request and refusal of wanting to have his parents attend the wedding, or even know about it.

He listens, as does Livius, without interruption. Once the mercury has finished Stillang steeples his fingers before him in thought for a moment before spreading his hands in front of him slightly. "I hear and understand your concern, and this information raises my concern about them being present." He takes a moment to draw a small breath. "That being said, as a leader I have to also consider the ramifications politically that my actions can cause. The risk we face at not notifying your parents of the engagement and invite them to the wedding is... very high. Your parents would not react well to receiving no notice of either event."

He is sure that Catriona will agree on that point. Notifying the leaders of the Mercury Clan after the fact would be a good way to invite their wrath and possibly start a war. Not an ideal outcome. Not that the potential assassination of his fiance is better. "We can do it this way, as an attempt to compromise. They will receive news of your engagement and an invite to the wedding with just enough time for them to make it. We shall make it seem that it is due to something that occurred between you an an unnamed cobalt, though high ranking enough to merit action be taken, that demanded you either marry them or lose a few limbs. You decided marriage was a more agreeable outcome and so we moved for a fast wedding to prevent you either running away or trying to sabotage things to get out of it."

Shrugging slightly he turns it back to his betrothed. "How we phrase things exactly can be left up to you, but I think that with your parents being somewhat vague and meeting their expectations of you is the best way to catch them unaware, yet keep them agreeable until it is too late. You know your parents best, however, in terms of the best way to maneuver them with familial matters. I'm willing to listen to any suggestions or alternatives you have to offer, but the end result must be that they get an invite to the wedding."

• 2 weeks later...

Catriona listened to Stillang, slightly in awe of how quickly he came up with a solution. He was certainly a reasonable and clever man, and Catriona was sure he was only skimming the surface of just how clever Stillang could be. Still, having his parents around him for such a significant event bothered him. The suggestion to just kill them was still on the tip of his tongue and had this conversation happened just a few weeks back he might have very well let it unashamedly slip from his lips. After all, the young prince knew very well that his life was in danger so why not nip the situation it the bud while he could? Was it worth it to even suggest such a thing? Would Stillang even take the idea seriously?

With a sigh, Catriona swallowed his potential suggestion down. It wasn't gone, but he wanted to take a few moments to figure out how he might phrase this without sounding like he was just another murderous mercury. "Your idea works," he finally said in a shaky voice. As far as he knew Stillang hadn't sent messages to Ares about Catriona's progress, and Catriona himself certainly didn't bother to speak to his parents. They'd have no idea that this was just a rouse. "It's the best option if they have to show up. They'd have no time to halt the wedding and hopefully we can send them off quickly. We'd have to be careful of whatever they plan to do afterwards. I still fear that at worst they'd kill me and at best they'd disown me. In which case, my promise to provide you with support from the Mercury Kingdom would be nullified, though I'd like to avoid that at all costs as well." He'd rather not have to take back one of my main gifts before he even had the chance to deliver on it. His parents truly made things more complicated than they needed to be.

Another heavy sigh escaped Catriona as he racked his brain for an option that didn't involve killing his parents. He supposed this became a very good example of how the Mercury Kingdom operated. Dispose of all problems indefinitely. No questions asked. Flat out murder wasn't an option, however. This Catriona knew. On top of that he didn't exactly want Stillang to view him as someone who was more than willing to commit patricide and matricide for reasons that he couldn't prove were true. The mark of insanity could easily be placed on the young man, or even more simple than that, the mark of a cold-blooded murderer.

"If..." Catriona started, keeping his eyes downcast and biting his lip as he thought about how he could phrase this. "Regardless of whether or not this plan works, I know my parents will try to harm me. Even if they go back home and we don't hear from them for months I fear that it is simply because they are planning my demise with pinpoint accuracy. Stillang, I..." He bit his lip again, taking a deep breath before continuing. "If it comes to it that my life is blatantly, obviously in danger, then I want you to know that... How to put this... Frankly, if it comes down to my life or theirs, then I want it to be the survivor. I don't want to die when I've only just started to live. I don't want you to think me a terrible person for even suggesting killing my parents, but they'd have no qualms killing their son. Should the only option for my defense be their deaths, then I ask you to accept that." Catriona squeezed his robe tightly, so much so that his knuckles lightened to a pale silver. He knew he was suggesting something horrific, but this seemed to be the only option if his parents were truly intent on his death. Perhaps he was being paranoid, but he'd rather be safe than sorry.

All he needed was for to Stillang to know that.

• 2 weeks later...

Stillang gives the mercury a slow blink, an eyebrow raising ever-so-slightly, before replying. "That goes without saying. When all is said and done your life is more important to me than theirs, without question. It is simply a given." As if the cold, arrogant and cruel Mercury clan leaders lives would matter to him. Honestly it would make things much simpler for the cobalt leader if they were gone, but that is not the way of his people and he is not one to endorse unnecessary bloodshed. Though retaliation should they open the door is well within my right and nature.

Turning back to the other cobalt Stillang gives the order to go ahead with the wedding preparations. "We'll have to invite other allies of course, but we'll want to be mindful of just how much advance notice we give them to make sure that word doesn't reach the Mercury clan prematurely." Livius nods. "Other than that I trust your expertise, and naturally my fiance will have primary say in what he would like to have implemented and blended with our ways. I'll give my input only when asked." He gives a faint playful smile at the two other males.

Suddenly the cobalt leader gets a playful and mischievous gleam in his eye as he decides to tease the young mercury a bit. "Now then, do you think we should invite the parents to be part of the bedding ritual?" Livius tilts his head in pretend thought while fighting to keep his face from showing his amusement.

"Hmm, it might be worth offering to include them in bringing Catriona to the marriage bed, but it might be pushing propriety a touch in letting them watch their son consummate his marriage." The designer taps his chin with a finger a few times before looking at said mercury. "What do you think? Should we see include them in being witnesses of your wedding consummation?"

Somehow both cobalts manage to keep open and curious expressions without laughing or smiling as they await the other's reaction to their little joke. The bedding ritual and witnessing of the consummation is outdated tradition and no longer adhered to unless one of the individuals come from a very traditional family and it is made a requirement of going through with the marriage.

• 1 month later...

It was a relief to hear that Stillang was open to the death of Catriona's parents if need be. A part of the young mercury even considered asking if they could just murder them outright, but even that sounded outlandish to him--in the context of the Cobalt kingdom anyway. By now he had learned that the differences between their cultures were massive, and premeditated murder, especially the murder of ones parents, were apparently frowned upon. It made Catriona wonder just how well the two cultures would mesh after this marriage. They were on relatively good terms now, but there was no telling how Ares would react after he received news of Catriona's engagement. The anxiety would eat him up; this Catriona knew. He'd surely panic about it until someone from whichever side was dead. Hopefully it'd be someone from the silvery side.

However, after Stillang made his announcement about a rather old tradition Catriona was sure the two sides would never get along. Catriona raised an eyebrow as his betrothed, wondering if he were serious about such a thing. Stillang was older than him, yes, but... Was he really that much older than him? To still hold onto such old traditions? To still enforce it in his kingdom? Surely not. Surely Stillang was just joking in an attempt to amuse himself or a strange attempt to make Catriona feel better... Or just to make fun of the silver prince period. Old person humor maybe? Well... Catriona sure found it funny. He snickered at first, as if he didn't believe such a thing could possibly exist anymore. A few giggles escaped him--Livius and Stillang probably thought he had finally snapped at this point. Particularly when he burst out laughing, Catriona imagined they would soon reconsider this whole marriage and throw him in an asylum.

"Oh, my love... Oh, my love..." Catriona stuttered through his laughter, wiping his eyes of tears. He took a few deep breaths to get his words out. "If--IF--such an archaic tradition still exists, then I have no damn choice but to go along with it, do I? I don't want my parents at my wedding, let alone the first time I get to be truly intimate with you, Stillang, however, if it comes down to it..." The young mercury stood and made his way around Stillang's desk and got on his knees beside his beloved. He looked up at him, his large empty eyes even wider as the grin stayed planted on his face. "If it comes down to it, I can take it in stride. One side of the coin has me hating the fact that my parents must be involved in so many of my most special moments, but the other side of the coin..." He began to run his hand over Stillang's knee. "Oh, the other side of the coin has me absolutely giddy at the thought of my parents getting to witness their worst nightmare come true--me getting impregnated." Catriona then rested his head on Stillang's lap, his hand still running up and down over the other man's knee. "While I truly hope this is all just a prank, I dare say if I must go through with it then I might as well have some fun seeing their horrified faces as they witness all the things you'll do to me."

Stillang inwardly relaxes when it seems that his little mercury has, at least for the moment, appeared to relax and forget some of his worry about the mercury leaders. While they may be an issues to be kept in mind, nor one to be taken lightly, the cobalt leader intends to focus on his pretty prize. Tomorrow is soon enough to begin planning for the unpleasant Ares and his wife.

Upon Catriona bursting out laughing, both cobalts raise an eyebrow while maintaining a bland expression though the leader is a touch bemused and enjoying the reaction. Tilting his head slightly while listening to the younger male, he sniffs lightly while giving a look warning the mercury as if sensing the age thoughts floating around in there. Once the laughter is under control and settled resting against cobalt leader, he gives a response. As he begins to speak, Stillang gives a slight rolling shrug while tilting his head side to side slightly. "Yes and no. For some branches it is still a time honored tradition, though parents are never part of those who watch the couple. Though, in our case, the temptation to horrify your parents is a strong temptation."

Which is true, but he has no intention of sharing such intimate moments with the cold and merciless clan leaders. "In most cases, of which ours will most likely be one, the bride is gathered up to be rushed off and 'prepared' for the groom. Typically that just means the bride is taken to a bed chamber to wait for the groom. Whether dressed or in the bed is up to the individual." Stillang waves a hand in faint dismissal before lightly running his fingers through the silvery strands, petting the sitting mercury.

Lightly tugging on the strands in his hand, the cobalt leader looks down. "This does mean, however, that you will have to wait for me to enjoy you until then so be sure to remember that when picking a date." He allows a faint smirk to appear while giving the news then faces Livius. "We might want to get started on what we'll wear immediately regardless of how soon or far out the date is." The designer gives a slight bow then leaves.

Before closing the door Livius gives Catriona a pointed look. "I will see you soon. Myself and the seamstress have much work to do to get your outfit designed and created." And not just the main outfit either, but the fun pieces that will be underneath and a fun outfit for after.

Once the door closes Stillang leans back and gives a pleased knowing look. "Needless to say you won't be getting any rest for quite some time after we're married. I'll be taking you until fully satisfied and you are without a doubt pregnant." He pauses then gives another faint smirk. "Even then, outside of being mindful the first few months, I'll still be enjoying you to the fullest. I'll bet you'll be down right insatiable at that point." His voices deepens slightly as images of the pretty little mercury being in various phases of carrying their child and being lost in pleasure go through his mind.

"Before you go off to meet with Livius, I have a small gift for you to help you look forward to our wedding night. Sit on the desk and let me see your chest." Stillang waits until Catriona is sitting as instructed, then pulls out a lump of what seems to be shifting blue and silver. "This." He comments while moving to stand in front of the other. "Is what I put on you when you first came here. Now, you'll get to enjoy wearing it in a different manner. Well, part of it at least." A corner of his mouth lifts slightly as part of the material moves out and slides along the bared skin of the mercury.

The cool metal slides and teases the skin under the watchful eye of the man it came from, before suddenly the metal splits. Without warning the mercury's nipples, which had been getting teased to get them ready to be pierced, have a hoop through them that have a thin chain of cobalt connecting them that hands loose down to the bottom of Catriona's sternum. Giving a light tug on the chain, mindful of the freshly pierced flesh, the leader gives a pleased hum and smile. "I do enjoy how you look wearing my element."

• 1 month later...

If Catriona could sit here for the rest of his life getting pet by Stillang he would. Those long, lovely fingers running through his hair relaxed him in a way he never felt before. It was a tender gesture, one that put Catriona at ease, turned him into a pile of silvery mush, made him submissive to the point that if Stillang told him to stop breathing right then and there the young prince would have listened and loved every moment of his suffocation. Whatever parts of him wondered if this was love or obsession or insanity were whisked away by each touch. It didn't matter, did it? Catriona didn't know the meaning of any of these things. All he knew was that he wanted Stillang in every way imaginable. He wanted his body, his heart, his soul, even his voice. He'd succumbed to the older man so quickly and so strongly. As Stillang gave him advice on setting the dates and picking new garments, Catriona simply nodded in agreement, and did the same when Livius acknowledged him. A soft "Yes, Livius" left him, though he'd certainly have to remind himself of what was said to him. There was much to be done and he couldn't let his desire for Stillang interrupt their busy plans.

Catriona lifted his head as Stillang spoke, his eyes slowly blinking as he took in the other's comments. "I wouldn't have it any other way," Catriona said, his voice soft yet thick with desire. He bit his bottom lip when told there was a gift for him, and quickly obeyed what Stillang told him. He sat on the desk, lowering his shirt until his chest was exposed. A grin crossed his lips when Stillang mentioned the contraption that he put on the young prince when they first met. "Oh, that thing. It feels like that was ten years ago, yet also like it was just yesterday. I couldn't get you out of my mind then either, Stillang, though I suppose for different reasons than now." Hindsight was as clear as day. That's what people often said. Catriona could look back in time and see how immature he was. He could see that hadn't changed entirely, but that he had learned respect and humbleness since arriving at the Colbalt Kingdom. His claws may not have been shaved down entirely, but he supposed they didn't need to be when Stillang held the end of his leash.

"You certainly know how to tame a beast, don't you my love?"

His words were soon silenced by the cold metal trailing across his skin. He let out a sharp gasp when it toyed with his sensitive nipples; it took all of his willpower to not moan or release any small, soft noises as he was played with. What he didn't express with his voice, however, showed in his body language. He bit his bottom lip again while his legs rubbed together in a feeble attempt for some other sort of stimulation. Then, without warning, he felt a sharp pierce of his flesh. He gasped and whimpered, unsure if he liked it or not. He'd not been exposed to this sort of pain before, and just like with everything else he had to learn how he felt about it. Right now, while his mind was clouded with thoughts and desire for Stillang, he couldn't say he minded it. His fingers lightly trailed over his new piercing, then fiddled with the chain.

"I enjoy how I look in your metal too." Catriona grinned as he lightly tugged on Stillang's sleeve, his other hand still playing with the new toy on his body. "I wouldn't mind some more of it on me." He laughed as he scooted closer towards Stillang, though kept sitting on the desk. "Will you kiss me, Stillang? I'd be so happy if you did... So, so happy, my love." The hand that held onto Stillang's sleeve ran down to hold onto his hand. Catriona brought it to his lips and placed soft kisses on it before looking back at his betrothed. Desire ran through through his eyes, empty as they were. He hated this teasing yet loved it all the same. It made him want Stillang even more than he already did. "I don't ask for much, my darling. Just a kiss. Can you grant your future husband this simple, tender request?"

What was exciting about Stillang is that Catriona didn't know at all how he would respond. He could deny him in the most devilish way possible or love him in the most endearing way imaginable. No matter what the answer turned out to be, Catriona's desire never changed. He wanted all of Stillang, everything he had, and whatever was left after that too.

• 7 months later...

Stillang watches the other respond to the piercing, a pleased curve to his mouth as Catriona squirms on the desk seeking stimulation. When told that the other wouldn't mind more of his metal, he gives a low chuckle. "That is a good answer, though we'll have to see. Perhaps I'll only give you these and let the rest be more... temporary for increased fun and creativity." At the request for a kiss, the cobalt leader pauses and thinks it over while lightly toying with the thin chain that is now a part of the mercury's body. "Very well. You shall get a kiss, but don't expect anything else until after we are wed." 

With that, the leader of the cobalts gets a faint smirk as one hand going to tangle in the other's hair at the nape to hold him in place. Not out of any concern of the other trying to get away, but to hold him in place and have the mercury be only able to accept what is given to him. "Keep your hands on the desk." Stillang murmurs before settling his lips against the other's to give the asked for kiss. There is no easing into it or build up. Instead it is a kiss that simply lays claim and gives no option to refuse or back away. Teeth nip at tender flesh before the tongue soothes the sting, and every crevice is explored. Pulling back after several long moments, a faint thread of saliva briefly connecting them before breaking, Stillang observes his work while maintaining his hold on the other's hair. Satisfied with what he sees, he steps back and after a light tug of the strands in his hand lets them go. 

"Now go on, you have things to take care of and there is still much to do to prepare for our wedding." Gently tugging the other off his desk, he then gives a slow run of his hand down the other's soft skin of his back coming to a rest above the swell of Catriona's ass. "I do hope you are prepared for our wedding night." He muses in a low husky tone, eyes slightly darkened and full of dangerous promise. "You will be getting all of my attention and the result of my practicing restraint. There will be no rest or respite for you, no matter how much or how prettily you beg for it." 

Having passed on that promise, the other is sent on his way to take care of other preparations and meetings that he needs to get to still. Once the door is closed Stillang takes a moment to let his desire to drag the other back and over his desk, he goes about figuring out what to do with the leaders of the mercury clan as well as any others they bring with them. It wouldn't do to have them completely isolated, as much as he would like to, but nor does he care to have them particularly close while in his home. Everywhere else in the cobalt territory is bustling with preparations for the coming big day, even those that won't see the ceremony. The people are rejoicing and planning on having celebrations throughout the cobalt land due to their leader getting married.