Sanctuary (Private)

Sathenus

“I suppose you do have a point..” Alfred said with a nod of his head. They had soon started running, watching the rock get closer and closer. They both seemed to be neck and neck with one another, his strides covering more distance but Daniel having the advantage of speed on his side. Regardless, Daniel seemed to be having fun, laughing happily as he was running. He seems like a friendly guy…Why would anyone not like him? He had the answers but found himself still confused by them. Daniel just pulled him in with his bubbly nature.

Alfred soon reached the rock with Daniel, not caring who won or lost…it was fun. His ears perked up when he heard chimes in the distance. They did not seem threatening like a horn but he did not know what they signified. He looked toward Daniel for answers and it seemed the chimes indicated lunch was to be served. There were various troughs set up with what looked like an assortment of various fruits and vegetables. He recognized a small amount of them but did not know what others were. It seems each trough had a certain food item in it and there were large bowls at the ends buffet style. It seemed to be set up to give them a freedom of choice to eat what they wish. Alfred looked to see what Daniel did, following him as he was hesitant to take all that food. It looked so…fresh…and plentiful. This was all for them?

*~*~*~*

“I know I know” Alexander chuckled as he got ready to go out with Xavier. He saw the workers already preparing all of the foods for the centaurs. He wanted to be able to give centaurs the ability to choose what they wanted to eat, feeling it was important to not force one food for everyone. The centaurs would not thrive if they had to eat the same thing all of the time. He tried not to repeat the same food two days in a row, maybe only doing so with fruits since it was based on what was fresh that season. Alexander avoided stockpiling fruits out of season as they tended to go back quickly otherwise with the exception of winter. He wanted to make sure they ate healthy even in the colder months, usually making stews from the vegetables, sometimes adding meat if it was a particularly cold day.

“Things seem to be going well” Alexander watched Alfred seeming to follow Daniel around. He usually left them alone during the meal time except for the occasional question to or from the centaurs. If everyone happened to want one particular item and they needed a bit extra, he would get the workers to stock a bit more to the unlucky centaur who wanted the item and got to it last. They always had extras of everything in stock just in case and for future meals in refrigeration just in case.

Daniel had lead Alfred to get some food grabbing one of the large bowls and leading Alfred past each of the options encouraging the other centaur to grab whatever looked good to him. He grabbed mainly fruit for himself but also some carrots and cabbage things he had grown fond of during his stay here but hadn't really been interested in beforehand. After making sure that Alfred had gotten what he wanted and all he wanted he lead him over to a spot for them to be able to eat together and relax a little, resting in the shade of a nearby tree and enjoying the company of the other centaur. Finding that he could get quite used to the company and having someone to talk to and spend time with.

"So, all things considered what do you think of the sanctuary so far?" Daniel asked with a curious look on his face munching on a strawberry. It was a really nice day, seeming as though there really was no better time for Alfred to have joined them. The weather was nice, there was a good abundance of food at the sanctuary and it would make settling in easier than in the winter. Though there wasn't as many choices in the winter Alexander and the other's always made sure they were all fed and taken care of. "I know all of this can be a lot to take in all at once." Daniel added knowing how it could be overwhelming in the beginning but feeling good that Alfred would settle in perfectly.

*~*~*~*

"You're right. It's great really, Daniel could use the friend and I'm sure this is all a bit overwhelming for Alfred." Xander replied a small smile on his face as he watched the two. Turning his attention to Alexander now, "I will say the two of them make a great pair. Couldn't ask for two more different centaur species but that didn't seem to bother either of them, Xander had to admit he was glad they had finally managed to rescue a centaur that didn't care how different Daniel was.

Once they were done making sure that the centaurs were all settled down with food before he was turning to Alexander and ushering him towards the car so they could go get some lunch his stomach grumbling. At this point he was rather eagerly and impatiently encouraging him to hurry up, it didn't take him very long to get Alexander in the car before he was driving them to the cute cafe so they could finally eat.

Alfred followed Daniel to the food, grabbing a bowl and looking at all the kinds of food in front of him. There was such a variety...! While he ate good food..well..the only food he knew..this was so much! He grabbed a little bit of everything,filling up his bowl with all of the food. Alfred was not sure what to do now, watching Daniel start to walk toward a nearby tree. Alfred followed behind him, moving himself to lay down underneath the shade.

Alfred turned to Daniel as he ate an apple, him asking him what he thought of the sanctuary so far. "It seems nice...There is so much space to move...I can run free without a heavy cart attached to me" Alfred said, hoping this was not a dream. He did not want to wake up back in his stall on the farm. It would hurt far too much and yet all this seemed too real to be a dream. "I went from the farm to all this space food and other centaurs..." Alfred starting to say, not sure how to finish.

*~*~*~*

"I wonder if we should stall them together tonight? It is rather risky but they seem to be getting along rather well' Alexander said as he watched the two of them go under the shade of a tree together to eat. He usually would not pair two stranger centaurs this soon but they seemed to be getting along well despite their species difference. "We can always try and keep them monitored throughout the night but it is worth a shot. "What do you think?" Alexander asked as he turned to look at him.

Xander must have been really hungry to be rushing him so quickly to the car. Alexander chuckled but did move quickly, stpping into the passengar side of the car. The cafe was not very far and there was not that much traffic. "Man, I need a good sandwich right now! I love the smell of this place, I can smell it from here" He chuckled, stepping out of the car.

A small smile appeared on Daniel's face when Alfred told him that the sanctuary seemed nice, expressing that he could run free here without a heavy car attached to him. "You definitely can, you won't have to pull a cart ever again, heavy or otherwise." Daniel replied wanting Alfred to be sure of that. He wouldn't have to do that ever again, he was as free as he could possibly get here, cared for and around humans who didn't treat them bad or like they were objects.

It was nice and he knew it was a lot to take in all at once, this type of freedom was easily overwhelming since it wasn't something that they were used to before or something they may have ever experienced. "I think you'll like it here, you're definitely free to do as you please within the fence of the sanctuary, there isn't anyone telling you what you have to do. Even if we do go into the barns at night and in stalls we're safer there. They don't have as many staff at night as they do during the day." Daniel commented as he finished his apple and grabbed some of his blueberries.

*~*~*~*

Alexander was suggesting they stall Daniel and Alfred together tonight, and it made him stop and think about it his eyes moving to the two centaurs. They did seem to be getting along but that was also a risk that could be very dangerous, Daniel wasn't as big and strong as Alfred he'd be in a lot of danger if things suddenly went south. There was no telling how the two would be in a tight space like that together. But Alexander seemed to be thinking about that too when he suggested trying to keep them monitored throughout the night. "It is risky and Daniel wouldn't stand a chance if something went wrong..." He murmured as he watched the two. They really did seem to be getting along and were doing well together, it could also make it easier for Alfred to settle in especially with his check up still needing to be done.

"I think they'll be okay for that. We'll have people check in regularly throughout the night to make sure they are still getting along. It may also make Alfred more relaxed for his exam if Daniel is there." Xander finally replied with a nod. It was a risk that he felt they needed to take, this was the first centaur that had ever seemed to take to Daniel the way the smaller centaur seemed to take to all the new centaurs. It was about time someone returned the smaller centaur's friendliness and took a chance on him, feeling bad that he had been rejected by all of the sanctuary's resident up until this point.

Arriving at the cafe made him all the more eager to get inside and get some food, his stomach growling and making it clear how empty it was. Which only made him blush softly as they were getting out of the car, "It's definitely a good way to pull people in." The smells coming from the building could draw anyone in, he lead the way into the building and towards a table. It wasn't long before he was ordering a soda to drink and turkey club sandwich. Feeling like he was starving as the scents of the cafe were definitely stronger inside the building and just making him all the more eager to finally eat.

• 2 weeks later...

A small smile appeared on Daniel's face when Alfred told him that the sanctuary seemed nice, expressing that he could run free here without a heavy car attached to him. "You definitely can, you won't have to pull a cart ever again, heavy or otherwise." Daniel replied wanting Alfred to be sure of that. He wouldn't have to do that ever again, he was as free as he could possibly get here, cared for and around humans who didn't treat them bad or like they were objects.

Alfred smiled when he was told here he would never have to pull a cart ever again here. Was he really this free? They can just run around and do as they please? The two humans from before seemed to be nice enough and Daniel was nice as well. He was at least glad the unfamiliar place did not leave him alone, not sure how he would have handled it. While he was alone on his farm and saw the occasional centaur in the market, he did not think he could have handled this place alone. He had not really met the others yet but Daniel seemed kind and welcoming, his prescense did not feel intimidating to him. "I see.." He answered, hoping it was not as small as his barn at the farm. He popped more of the fruit into his mouth.

*~*~*~*

"You are right.." Alexander spoke quietly when Xander mentioned something posibly going wrong should something happen. Alfred was far bigger than Daniel and could easily hurt him if he freaked out for any reason. But he really wanted to see Daniel have a friend to spend time with and have a friendly company in a centaur.

It was a risk he was willing to take! Daniel and Alfred were really getting along today and Xander did have a point. Alfred might be more relaxed for the exam if he had Daniel at his side. While Alfred did look well enough taken cared of, who knew how he would react to strangers doing a medical exam on him. He did not know every detail of the centaurs life on the farm so he wasnt sure if he ever had recently or ever had a medical exam. "Then it's settled, I hope Daniel will not mind the company overnight" Alexander smiled before he got ready for the cafe. "I think he will like having his new friend sleep with him" He hoped but was sure this was the case.

"I swear I need to monitor you to make sure you eat" Alexander smiled with a playful tease. "But I am hungry as well so i cannot blame you. The cafe definitely knows how to pull me in" He chuckled before stepping through its doors. He let the other lead the way through the cafe, finding a table. He ordered himself a soda along with a salad with a lot of fruits and some grilled chicken slices

• 2 weeks later...

Daniel was happy to eat his food beside Alfred, enjoying the nice day and the great fruit. Not to mention he finally had a friend! This of course made him all the more excited and energetic, knowing that someone finally seemed to like having him around and didn't ditch him for any of the small herds that had formed the moment they had the chance. "Do you think you'll be okay when they give you your medical exam tonight?" Daniel asked suddenly as his eyes moved from the large grounds of the sanctuary spanning out before them to the other centaur. Alfred seemed like he was in good condition but it was customary that all new centaurs get a medical exam upon arriving at the sanctuary, if not upon arrival that night and he was curious how Alfred would respond to that.

*~*~*~*~*

Xander couldn't help but laugh, "I highly doubt that Daniel would mind the company overnight. That poor thing has been dying to have a friend, the overnight company would probably just make him even more excited." He admitted. Feeling like there was no reason for Daniel to not be excited and happy once he realized that Alfred would be staying with him overnight as well. It was something he had noticed the smaller centaur seemingly aching for, a companion that he could spend all his time with just like the others had. "He needs the socialization." Xander added as they were walking into the cafe.

"You do not!" He complained sticking his tongue out at the other as they were sitting down. "Starving!" Xander groaned as they looked over the menu. His stomach only seeming to gurgle louder now that he was surrounded by the lovely smells of the cafe, when the waiter returned and took their orders he waited for him to return with their drinks, sipping at his before he turned his gaze back to Alexander.

"Now, let's set the sanctuary aside for a moment, that's all we ever talk about and you need something else to focus on." Xander commented as he leaned back in his seat. "So, what is going on with you, with Alexander? Find anyone yet? Daniel's not the only one whose been lonely I'm sure." He added teasing the other a little.

Alfred was happily eating his fruit and forgetting all of his cares. He froze up for a moment, having forgotten that was something the humans mentioned much earlier in the day when he came in. “They won’t give..shots will they?” Alfred said quietly, wondering if he would get hit or probed or picked at a lot. He hated when the farm did that, even if it was the only thing he knew. He hated medical exams, just random poking and not caring..

—-

“Yes..Daniel deserves a friend after being by himself for so long” Alexander said with a small nod of his head. If anyone deserved some companionship, it was him. Daniel was among the first few he had rescued and yet all those small groups formed. Daniel being different from other centaurs, none of the others seemed to take to him. He was hoping one day someone would accept him. It seemed Alfred would be that centaur, even if there was a large size difference. He hoped this would be true..

Alexander was more than happy when the waiter came to place their orders. He ordered what he wanted, getting this really good looking salad with bleu cheese bits and pineapple that he liked so much. He got himself an iced tea as well, waiting for the other to order before the waiter left.

“Oh hush I am not lonely!” Alexander scoffed in fake surprise before coughing a bit. “Okay, maybe I might be a little lonely but I don’t find anyone who shares the same passion I do. No one interested me I guess either, I don’t know” Alexander shrugged softly. “Maybe someday right..? Well that and trying to find time to date is hard I guess, when I devote most of my time to the sanctuary. When I am free, it’s hard to find anyone available”

"Shots? Maybe if you're missing one they think is important..." Daniel said but gave a small shrug before he reached over and pat the other's arm gently. "You'll be okay, they are really nice." Daniel didn't want Alfred to be worried about the exam, since it had to happen one way or the other, but he didn't want to lie and say that Alfred wouldn't get a shot if there was one that he was missing and that Xander and Alexander felt he needed. Lying to him about it wouldn't be a good idea, and wouldn't benefit anyone either.

*~*~*~*~*

"We both know that's a lie." Xander said with a bit of amusement on his face as Alexander said that he wasn't lonely knowing full out that the man was. "I highly doubt that no one is interested in you, you'd be blind if someone showed interest because you're so focused on your work." He replied feeling that this was more likely the case than no one at all being interested in the other man. He was attractive, Xander liked to think they both were, but he knew that Alexander would have plenty of people interested if he could get his head away from the sanctuary long enough.

"You work too much. Why don't you take a day off? Go out and meet someone, be spontaneous? I'll look after the sanctuary for you that day so you can take a personal day. You work to hard." Xander offered though he wasn't entirely sure if Alexander would take him up on the offer or not, there was that chance he wouldn't but at least he had offered.

Alfred groaned nervously at the idea of possibly getting a shot today. The farm doctors didn’t seem to care much for where or how they poked him, just doing it as a stab and done kind of deal. It was a terrifying thought to think about..and yet Daniels reassurance helped ease him at least a tiny bit. “I..I guess...” Alfred said quietly but still hated the idea..he didn’t like it one bit. He sucked all the juice he could out of the fruit in his hand before slowly chewing on it.

Alexander didn’t want to admit if Xander was right or not at someone being interested and him being blind. Surely if anyone had been interested it would have been really obvious..right? Whatever, what’s done is done. He tried to talk himself into thinking that none of those people existed or weren’t important enough to notice. It..made him feel better.

He did raise a curious eyebrow at the others insistence of taking a personal day off to go and date. When was even the last time he had a personal day? When was the last time he went out on a date even...much less kissed someone? “You sure..?” He asked quietly, not sure if he should do this or not. “You know what? Fuck it, why not! I’ll do it for tomorrow, I’ll bring my outfit with me in the morning to the office, make sure everything is settled and then go, get changed at the office”

"They're really nice about it." Daniel added having heard the nervous groan from Alfred and getting that shots weren't most people's favorite things. Especially a centaurs, needles, they weren't a friend of anyone, and he wouldn't pretend that they were great. He was needle shy himself, but they had always made it easy for him to focus on something else and now hardly noticed as long as it wasn't brought to his attention ahead of time. As they were eating and finishing up he showed Alfred where to put their bowls after before he was eager to show the other more of the grounds while they had the chance before they were rounded up and brought in for the night.

*~*~*~*~*

"I'm absolutely positive, you need this." Xander said glad that Alexander was actually open to this and not instantly turning him down. Alexander was actually pretty quick to take him up on it, agreeing and telling him how he would bring his outfit with him in the morning and change at the office. "That's fine, but I'm not letting you change your mind. You can come in to make sure everything is in order, then you're changing and getting your ass out there." Xander said with a small smirk on his face and making it clear he was not going to let Alexander get cold feet.

Xander really thought that Alexander needed this, he really needed a day to himself away from the sanctuary where he was able to be himself and find someone nice. "This will be good for you. That and a day away for you will help you be more refreshed and be a bigger help to the centaurs." He added really thinking it was true. As their food arrived he was happy to take a bite of his sandwich with a pleased groan, "This place really is amazing!" Xander had been even hungrier than he had thought, not realizing it until he was eating.

“Okay...I guess...” Alfred said quietly, still not thrilled at the prospect of getting a shot. He just hoped it would all be over quick and the anticipation would not kill him before then. He finally finished his food, finding the meal pretty good for what it was. Much better than the farm and he had a choice of what he wanted to eat. “So when do we all get round up for the night? Dusk?” He asked, used to a farm schedule. Sunrise to sunset it was constant work and moving..

If Xander really wanted him to take this date night then he will! Xander seemed so eager to see him go out he even said he would make sure that he would not back out. “You know me too well don’t you? Fine fine, you can make sure I don’t back out of my day off and a potential date night” Alexander chuckled with a shake of his head.

Alexander listened to Xander make a good point about the day off he would be taking. He supposed Xander did make a good point..A day off would give him a freshness about him. Feeling renewed and fresh would be a good fit for the centaurs..maybe this going out and trying to find a date might help? “I suppose you have a point, just hope tomorrow goes well and relaxing enough then” Alexander shrugged with a small smile as they food finally arrived. He took a bite of his salad with a happy groan of agreement to Xander. “They know how to make a good meal that’s for sure!” He hummed, not knowing a lot of places could make a good salad like the cafe could. Some places felt like it was just lettuce tossed in the bowl by this actually tasted good!

"It depends more on the weather and time of year I suppose..." Daniel said when he was asked when they all got rounded up for the night. "But normally before dusk, they do have a lot of us to account for after all, so they get us all inside, all in our stalls take a headcount to make sure everyone is accounted for. It's also when they do last minute check-ups for anyone who needs it." Daniel explained. They were normally brought in an hour or two before nightfall, depending on what the weather was like they could be brought in sooner, especially if it was colder out. After they had taken care of their bowls he started with the tour again, leading him towards another part of the sanctuary, this was the far part. Normally Daniel wasn't one to venture this far towards the back of the property, but he figured that Alfred deserved to know everything the property had to offer.

*~*~*~*~*

Xander laughed, "You make it sound like you had a choice in the matter. Even if you tried to talk me out of it I won't let you back out of this." He replied. This was important for the other man, and he didn't want Alexander to get cold feet and not take the day off, or find so much to do at the sanctuary that he never left. Knowing the man far too well to let him get away with such behavior, this was something he truly felt his friend needed.

"They really do, the food here is always amazing." He agreed with a nod. Throughout the rest of their meal they talked and Xander tried to keep the topic off the sanctuary since he felt Alexander truly did focus too much on it. After their meal and he paid the bill insisting that he cover it, Xander was leading the way back towards the car happy and with a full stomach. "Now, let's get back and get things ready to start bringing them inside, get the team you want for Alfred's exam."

Alfred stayed close behind Daniel, not wanting to stay too far away from him. He hoped to take his mind off of the medical examination. Thankfully Daniel managed to distract him, taking him off to show him more do the sanctuary. “What’s around this area? We didn’t go this far yesterday..” He said quietly as he took a look around. This was much further than the rock they raced to earlier.

—-

“You are persistent that’s for sure” Alexander chuckled, knowing Xander would be on him like a blood hound. He was sure even if he tried to keep himself busy in work or finding something to do, Xander would be right there to make sure he got the day off. He went back to his salad, the conversation steering away from the sanctuary. It was nice to talk about other things, not knowing how much time had passed. He tried to pay for the bill but Xander’s persistence kicked in and he let him pay. “That time already? I suppose, I already know who I want, I just need to gather them up and have Alfred in his stall with Daniel before we attempt this”

"It's... I don't really know to be honest, I don't normally travel back this far into the sanctuary grounds. I just thought you should know it's here and just how much space there is for us." Daniel said as he was leading the way. When they had traveled deep enough he came to a stop and turned his gaze up to Alfred, "It's... hard to explain. The whole sanctuary is kept up really well but the areas back here are more... wild? I suppose that's the best way to put it. The more human hating or unfriendly centaurs normally are found back here, sometimes one of the other groups will wander back here if they want more space or a change in view." Daniel tried explaining.

*~*~*~*~*

"My persistence is for a reason." Xander mused a small smile appearing glad to know that even Alexander could find some amusement in his persistence. As they were heading to the car he nodded, "Yeah... we spent quite a bit of time here. Time flies when you're enjoying a great meal with a friend." He admitted. Time really had flown and as he was driving them back to the sanctuary he checked the clock. There was still time for them to gather to team that Alexander wanted and talk about how they were going to approach this before the centaurs would be brought in for the night.

Xander hoped that with how close Daniel and Alfred seemed to be that the smaller centaur would be the perfect way of keeping Alfred relaxed and from getting too stressed out. Knowing that an entrance medical exam was often stressful for the new arrivals, but it was quite necessary. "I'll have some guys go and get the pair and bring them in a little ahead of the others so they can be settled in the stall before we show up with the team." Xander suggested. Thinking if Alfred was already settled in to where he'd be sleeping he'd be even more relaxed than if they had just gotten in when they showed up.

“Hmmm..Guess it makes sense...” Alfred said with a small shrug as he looked among the thick brush. It was definitely more wild than the rest of the sanctuary. It made sense with plenty of places to hide and be unseen, thick brush and trees lined this area. “Definitely wolf back here and makes it seem like there is a lot of space” Alfred said San he tested out the ground around him. He stomped around, at one point getting his hood stuck in some thicker brush. He managed to pull it out but sent his head into a tree. “Ugh..!” Alfred said as he held his head. “I normally don’t look this dumb I swear..” Alfred said with a shy laugh. His ears perked up at hearing their names from a distance.

“I know, you keep me in line” Alexander chuckled, patting Xander’s back. He could not have chosen a better man to be his friend. “It was a good meal and enjoyed it with my good friend Xander” He laughed before he got in the car. “I swear I would be a crazier man than I am now if you don’t keep my in check most of the time” He said half teasing the other. Xander always was checking up on him, talking to him and helping him out. The company and the help was well appreciated ten fold..

“That would be the best approach. Give Alfred some time to get used to the stall” Alexander agreed with a small nod. He waited until they got back to the sanctuary, asking workers near the front to have Alfred and Daniel be brought in first to the stalls. While they were off doing that, he found one of the centaur vet techs on staff to come with him along with two of the stronger of their workers. 5 seemed plenty enough and didn’t want to overwhelm Alfred in the event things went south.

A soft laugh escaped Daniel when he watched Alfred test out this new area, getting his hoof stuck for a short moment before his head had bumped into a tree after. "Are you alright?" He asked with a small smile wanting to make sure that Alfred hadn't hurt himself. "I don't think it made you look dumb." Daniel added. He had wanted to say cute since it had made the other centaur attractive in a new way, but he shook the thought form his mind and had managed not to say it outloud. Suddenly he heard their names being called in the distance, ears twitching and his head turning in that direction. "I guess it's time to go in for the night." Daniel said before he was taking Alfred's hand and leading him in the direction the voices had come from.

They ended up meeting up with a few other workers of the sanctuary and Daniel was quick and happy to follow them encouraging Alfred to come along by keeping his hand in the other's the whole time. When they reached the barn Daniel finally released his hand leading the way inside as they were lead past stalls. When they reached his Daniel was quick to dart in making a quick round before he was getting cozy, though his eyes moved up upon hearing that Alexander and Xander had thought it would be good for them to room together. His ears perked up as did his body and he happily darted around the stall one more time before he was encouraging Alfred to join him. The stall door being closed after he had, "This is great! I never got a roommate before!" Daniel happily said quite energetic despite what time it was and that it was getting close to bed his excitement overtaking him.

*~*~*~*~*

Arriving at the sanctuary he let Alexander send some of the workers in the front off to find and bring in Daniel and Alfred before the other centaurs. Having the barn empty aside from the two of them for the exam would make things easier on Alfred and it would make the whole experience more positive since it'd also be quieter, even if the centaurs were quite quiet at night. Following the other to get one of the centaur vet techs that was currently on duty, the other two they gathered were strong and he was sure that this was a good group to handle Alfred and give him his medical exam.

Entering the barn he lead the way and wasn't all that surprised to see Daniel being energetic and happy despite the hour. Xander entered the stall first instantly moving to Daniel and moving to calm the smaller centaur, not wanting him to be so energetic while they were examining Alfred. After he had calmed Daniel enough to where he wasn't bouncing around and was standing calmly -or as calmly as he could in his excitement- he turned his attention to Alfred and offered the centaur a friendly smile. "We're just going to give you a minor medical exam. It'll be quick and painless, I promise." He tried to assure the centaur as he motioned for Alexander and the vet tech to come in now while having the other two stay out of the stall unless it was needed.

Alfred picked a few leaves out of his hair that came down from when his head hit the tree. He let himself be led back toward the stables, finally glad he would be able to check them out for himself. He heard talk of them but didn’t get to explore those since everyone seemed to be already out for the day when he arrived. Was it more spacious than his living space at the farm? Was it clean and well kept? He hoped it was all of those things as he followed the others lead, holding his hand.

The other humans seemed to lead them toward the barns, the barns looking far nicer than the ones on the farm. Sure, his farm was the only one he really knew up and down but these looked far nicer. When Alfred finally stepped inside, the stalls looked far more open and spacious than the one he grew up with. It was amazing! He was expecting to be housed alone but he workers informed him that he would be rooming with Daniel. A roommate..? He never had a roommate at the barn being the only one..and the stalls were huge! Alfred made his way into the stall, it closing behind them. “Neither have I..its big in here” He said as he looked around.

—-

Alexander chuckled, not surprised to come to the new roommates stall to see Daniel bounding about happily. “Someone likes their new roommate?” He chuckled but was happy Daniel approved. He let Xander take over the explanation to Alfred, staying close by while the vet tech was giving him the initial look over. They looked for any wounds or anything that should be addressed right away. They asked a few questions to Alfred about their former diet and the physical activity they performed to get a better feel of what to look for.

“Now, I will need to give them a shot for their muscles since they are overworked and strained to-“ The vet tech said more words about his condition and Alexander noticed the centaur freeze up upon seeing the needle. “I know it looks big but it is better for your health to get this shot..” Alexander spoke calmly as Alfred was backing himself against the wall and looking agitated in a more fearful way. “Daniel..Your assistance would be appreciated” Alexander smiled and still spoke calmly. He didn’t want to frighten Alfred anymore but also didn’t want to use the two men unless absolutely necessary

"It's nice right?" Daniel said with a large happy smile glad that Alfred seemed to like the space and that the two of them being together at night wouldn't make him feel cramped. Even if it was more than big enough for two large centaurs like Alfred and he was quite small in comparison. Still he was eager and excited about this and when Xander and the team appeared to give Alfred his medical exam Daniel tried to calm down. Xander moving over to him to calm him and keep him still while he watched Alexander and the vet come into the stall. He tried to remain still while he watched the exam and listened to Alfred answer their questions.

At the mention of needing a shot Daniel instantly noticed how Alfred had gotten stiff and seemed to be backing away from them, just as Alexander turned to him and asked him for some help Xander was moving out from in front of him. This allowed him to instantly bound over to the other centaur and without thinking he latched himself onto the other, arms wrapping around his human torso in a tight hug. "It's okay! They won't hurt you, and it's just one. It'll help you feel better and stay healthy." Daniel said as he clung to the larger centaur, feeling almost childlike in doing so. But if it helped calm Alfred or at least keep him still long enough for the shot then it was well worth it. Not to ment... he loved being this close to him. Able to hear his heart hammering in his chest and his quicker breathing.

*~*~*~*~*

Xander had to admit he was actually quite surprised by how Daniel just practically threw himself at Alfred, and he was already prepared encase the larger centaur responded negatively to Daniel doing so. Moving a little closer himself he pat Daniel's back before he was moving a bit closer to rest a reassuring hand on Alfred's arm. "You're okay." Xander said softly to Alfred, keeping an eye on his own movements as well as the larger centaur's. While he was doing this he gave a small motion for Alexander and the vet tech to get closer to administer the shot, they seemingly had the larger centaur distracted and a bit more relaxed.

Having a gentle hand on Daniel's back patting it gently to encourage the small figure while a caring and gentle hand was resting on Alfred's arm. He kept eye contact with the larger centaur in the hopes to keep the other focused on himself and Daniel. "Just watch us, you won't even know it's happening." He encouraged Alfred. Telling the centaur to watch either him or Daniel and stay focused on them so he wouldn't notice what Alexander and the tech were doing.

Alfred was pressed up against the wall, staring down the vet tech with her large needle and shot. It probably wasn't as big as his mind made it out to be but it looked huge to him right now. He hated needles immensely and actually seeing it did not help. His heart hammered quickly in his chest at the sight of the needle, seeing Alexander speak but not comprehending what he was saying. His focus was only on the needle and syringe, hoofs stomping a bit in worry.

He soon felt tiny arms wrap around his upper torso, looking down to see Daniels arms wrapped around him. Daniels voice seemed to break through his fear, hearing him say how everything would be okay. That it would be just one and it would help..help..Alfred said as he was still quickly breathing but his hooves stopped stomping. His arms reached down to pull Daniel closer to him, focusing on Daniel. He could tell Daniel seemed to be a source of comfort for himself, holding Daniel in a tight hug.

---

Alexander got worried for a moment when Daniel suddenly grabbed Alfred, worried the scared Alfred might react in a negative manner. But it seemed Daniels presence was a positive and helpful distraction for Alfred. Alexander and the vet tech slowly made their way over to Alfreds left side, watching Alfred wrap his arms around Daniel in a tight hug. He carefully ran his hand over the others side, mouthing for the centaur vet tech to do the shot now while Alfred was a bit calmer and distracted.

The vet tech quickly gave the other the shot, Alfred stomping his back legs a bit but he seemed otherwise fine. "All done, promise" Alexander reassured Alfred as him and the vet tech took a step back. "Thank you Daniel for your help, we chose the right roommate for you indeed" He smiled before turning to the two workers and the tech. "The rest of the night will proceed as normal. No one is due for any shots as far as I am aware correct?" He turned to the vet tech who confirmed this to be true. "Great! We will rally everyone else into their stalls then! Daniel, I will be having a day off tomorrow so I leave you and everyone else in the care of Xander and the other workers. Have a good nights rest to you both and see you tomorrow morning. And hopefully you enjoyed your first day at Olympus Alfred" Alexander smiled before going about the nightly routine.

Feeling the arms wrap around him in return holding him in a tight hug made him really happy, Daniel giving the other a tighter hug and enjoying it as he was pulled closer. Resting his head on Alfred's chest his eyes shut and enjoying it a small smile on his face, this was a position that he thoroughly enjoyed being in. Oddly enough even he wasn't paying attention to the shot being given, only coming to realize that it was over when he heard Alexander thank him for his help. He let out a hum in acknowledgement but otherwise didn't respond, his eyes closed still and just enjoying being so close to the larger centaur. This was a type of contact with a centaur he hadn't had since he was really little, so long ago that he had really come to miss it.

Daniel was craving this sort of contact with another centaur and it made him hesitant to stop hugging him even as Alexander asked if any other centaur needed shots. His eyes finally opened as he was told that Alexander would be taking tomorrow off, that he would see them in the morning. "Okay! Have a good day off!" Daniel said happily before he was pulling back just the tiniest bit to smile up at the other centaur. "You okay?" He asked Alfred after the others had left the stall and the other centaurs were being brought in.

*~*~*~*~*

Xander had to admit that he was happy with the positive response Alfred had to Daniel practically throwing himself at him. It was kind of heartwarming to see, that two centaurs who really didn't know each other and couldn't be anymore different were getting along so well. A small smile on his face as he watched the pair, when the shot was over he could tell that the smaller centaur had no interest in moving from his spot. Seemingly content to stay exactly where he was and clinging to the larger centaur who didn't seem to have any problem with continuing to hug the smaller one as well. "So cute." He mused to himself as he was leaving the stall with Alexander and the others.

As they were going about the rest of the nightly routine and getting the others settled into their stalls he glanced towards Alexander as they were shutting the door to the final stall that night. "It's amazing don't you think? Daniel's been at the sanctuary basically from the beginning and has always been tossed aside and ignored or sometimes even talked down to by the other centaurs. Alfred comes along, spends less than 24 hours with him and now Daniel can practically throw himself at the other without any issues. There isn't possibly any two more different centaurs, but it seems like you were right. They're getting along so well, let's just hope it stays that way." He said to Alexander knowing he'd continue to keep an eye on them the next day as well.

Alfred nodded in acknowledgement of Alexander, not wanting to let go of Daniel just yet. The other seemed to have a similar idea, his torso still in the others tight grip. When was the last time he even got hugged? Must not have been since his last friend and companion at the farm..and that was when he was really small. It felt...nice...Alfred thought to himself as the humans started to file out of the stall.

His tight grip lessened a bit when the humans were all gone but still held Daniel in a hug. Alfred looked toward the door before looking down at Daniel. It was a bit weird to give a hug to someone smaller than him but he was at least in reach of his arms so it was not awful. "I'm fine...just hate shots" He said quietly, not sure if he should let go of the other just yet. "Sorry If i squeezed you too hard.." He said bashfully, hoping the hug did not hurt.

---

Alexander made sure each centaur was well taken care of from the days activities. He checked up on everyone, seeing if there was any requests he could try to accommodate for meals tomorrow. No one had any new injuries or conditions he needed to worry about. Today went rather smoothly even with having a new arrival today! He could not have asked for a smoother day!

"I am so thankful this worked out! I am even happier we were able to save Alfred with the way things worked out today" Alexander said with a big smile. "I am glad Alfred is the type of centaur open to companionship like Daniel. They got along so well today, Daniel even was able to hug him and keep him calm during his exam. They were close for even their first day! I agree with you and hope it keeps continuing. Daniel doesn't deserve to be lonely" He smiled warmly, seeing a tiny bit of himself in that aspect. "Now, need a ride home tonight or are you good? I need to make sure my date outfit is together tonight so I dont have to hunt early in the morning tomorrow. I would rather not" Alexander chuckled.

It seemed that Alfred wasn't quick to just push him away after the shot either, which made him feel even better about hugging him and holding him close. It made him feel better and he was happy to have someone he could be close too who seemed to like having him around. Feeling the arms around him loosen he met Alfred's gaze when the centaur apologized if he had squeezed him too hard. "You didn't... it was... nice?" Daniel replied hesitantly not sure how he should word how he liked the hug and he really wouldn't mind it again and again.

When he did finally step back he stopped and started to look for a spot to lie down and get comfortable for the night, moving around the stall until he found a spot that felt comfortable enough under his hooves. Slowly lying down and turning to look at Alfred as he patted a spot near him, encouraging the larger centaur to come over and lie down with him. "I'm glad I could help you feel more relaxed for your shot. I know you don't like them." Daniel added feeling a bit bad that he had needed a shot after all.

*~*~*~*~*

"The fact that he hadn't seen or been around many centaurs before may have really helped this friendship develop." Xander commented thinking it had played out to Daniel's advantage that Alfred was not very familiar with other centaurs and had not had a chance to classify himself with a group previously. That could have really helped in making it so that Alfred was more willing to become friends with a friendly centaur despite how different he was. "Such physical closeness is something that they are both probably quite starved of." He added as they were finishing up.

Alexander offering him a ride home made a smile appear on his face, "How could I possibly deny a ride home from you? Especially when I get to pick on you some more." He mused not that he was really picking on him to begin with. As they finished in the barns he was leading the way out of the building, locking the door behind them to secure the building. They had a brief talk with the night shift before he was turning back to Alexander and nudging him gently. "Ready for that ride home!" He said happily.

"It was...nice for me too. I don't remember the last time..I hugged anyone...or gotten hugged" Alfred said quietly as he looked down at Daniel. Having a warm body next to him that was not going to hurt him was a new but pleasant experience, probably a young centaur when he was last held. He almost missed the others arms around him, liking the feeling of Daniel hugging him.

Alfred got himself comfortable in the spot Daniel patted next to him. He lightly stomped around a few times to test the ground before making himself comfortable. "I am glad you were there..it..helped. I never liked when the farm had to give me a shot. They...weren't gentle in their approaches to...anything" He said quietly as he felt like today was a dream. Today was just going to be one long dream and he would wake up alone, being forced to plow the fields again.

---

"Honestly you are probably right. The isolation from other centaurs but in a passing glance plus likely a combination of his own personality was definitely key in this budding friendship" Alexander nodded as they were going about their closing procedures. "Daniel seemed to be a positive influence on him during his examination. The sudden hug seemed to help him relax, they really took to each other quickly" Alexander was happy at he results. It could not have worked anymore perfectly!

Everything was fine and locked up for the night, explaining the procedures for the night and what to do in his absence tomorrow. Alexander walked toward his car, opening the door and waiting for the other to get in. "Need to stop for late snacks on the way home?" He asked curiously before he turned on the car and started to drive. "I guess i will need to bring a brush and stuff to the office too so I can change in the bathroom" He mused out loud more to himself than anything

Once Alfred had joined him Daniel shifted a bit closer to the other until their sides were touching, hesitantly moving to rest his human torso against the other's equine back. It was soft and warm and he enjoyed the company and the closeness they were capable of having and had both clearly been lacking up until this point. "You're really warm." Daniel commented with a happy smile turning his head to look up at the other. "You definitely don't have to worry about that here though, everyone here is really nice and they always try to do things gently."

Now that they were closer and Daniel was feeling more brave because Alfred currently hadn't reacted negatively to him he was looking over the other's fur and the coloring. He... liked it, it was really interesting especially compared to his own. "Tomorrow, we could explore whatever you want, hang out wherever you want." Daniel said wanting Alfred to know while he had shown him around today, tomorrow they could do whatever the other wanted.

*~*~*~*~*

"Which is a really good thing, they both could use a friend here." Xander said as they were making their way to the car. "Maybe we'll see an improvement in moral for Daniel and it will keep Alfred from getting depressed with the lack of work." Knowing that was a common thing that the new centaurs experienced when they were used to a certain routine day after day, year after year. Having Daniel as a friend and someone to be around would hopefully help keep that depression at bay for Alfred, at least Xander hoped it would.

"You know me so well!" Xander said with a laugh, "I do definitely get the munchies late at night. You wouldn't mind would you?" He mused even though since Alexander had brought it up he wouldn't mind at all. Getting into the car he was getting quite comfortable and was relaxed when he heard the other start speaking seemingly more to himself. "Looking forward to your day off?" He asked giving the other a curious look with a small smile.

Alfred had gotten comfortable in his spot, feeling a light warm weight resting on his equine back. He looked over and noticed Daniel was resting on him but did not mind the others closeness. It was kind of soothing..Alfred thought to himself as he grew more comfortable. "Sounds like fun..Maybe the watering hole again? Or we can just talk? I don't really get to talk to other centaurs and I figured maybe we could get to know each other more..?" He asked with a shy smile. Would he really not need to work tomorrow? What was he supposed to do all day?

---

"Both of those things will be perfect!" Alexander agreed, knowing the adjustment would be hard for their new arrival. Working all day or having a certain routine for years only for it to all end so suddenly? Daniel and Alfred would be perfect for each other even more with that involved. "We know each other far too well" He joked before pulling up to a late night convenience store. "I suppose, intentionally trying to find someone will be something and a day off is good" He shrugged, knowing he was sure he would have fun regardless. He got some breath mints so his breath would smell nice along with some tea and some stuff to make a salad out of later.