Sanctuary (Private)

Sathenus

Alfred held his hand gently as he led the other back to their stall. He made sure no one got too close, not like they were really focused on them anyway. He sat down in their stall first, looking up and waiting for him to join him. Once he did, he cuddled around Daniel with a soft smile on his face.

“It was so hard..Did you see his face? He had a little pout and it looked like his heart was breaking in front of me” Alexander groaned before sighing softly. “Even happier we got Alfred for him to cuddle but still..” He said quietly as everyone was being brought in. He was close to Daniel and it was hard to step back like he did after years. Was half the reason he liked to cuddle was..he felt lonely..like Daniel did? He tried to push the thoughts away as he finished up anything he needed to before heading to the car

Moving over to Alfred Daniel lied down beside him and instantly curled up against him, resting over the warm equine back once more and curled around his flank. At least someone was up to cuddling with him. His eyes drifted shut as he snuggled close to Alfred, and he was soon fast asleep beside the other centaur, even if he had napped most of the day the depression he felt towards being rejected by Alexander was quick to lull him back to sleep this time. Despite the rejection Daniel slept well through the night, at least until the early morning hours of the day when he was woken by a strange feeling in his body. His whole body felt hotter than normal, and there was a weird almost ache present, not that he was in pain or anything but like his body was craving something. It was a sensation he wasn't used to and had never felt before. It made him feel a bit more anxious and nervous than normal. Not understanding what was going on with his body and why it was behaving this way, but he was also more aware of the other scents in the barn. Particularly the more musky scents of the other males in the barn which only seemed to make this burning ache more prominent and make him feel hotter. This of course wasn't helping and confused him all the more.

*~*~*~*~*

"I know. It's going to be hard for him, especially since he doesn't understand. But it's for the best for him, and you just need to remember that." Xander said with an encouraging smile. He stayed with Alexander as he locked up and after getting a ride back to the man's house to get his car he gave him a quick hug, wished him good luck on his date and made the other promise that he would get Daniel out of his mind so he could enjoy his date. Making sure the other was going to be okay for his date he got into his own car and drove him. Getting comfortable in bed with a movie and some popcorn. It wasn't very long before he was fast asleep himself and slept easily through the night. Only waking up in the morning when his alarm sounded making him groan a bit unhappily as he wanted to go back to sleep.

Alfred kept himself curled around the other for the remainder of the night, falling asleep to petting his flank. He was woken by those strange scents again, the scents feeling like they were even stronger and closer than before. He could feel Daniel moving around anxiously, slowly opening his eyes. "Are you feeling okay..?" He asked quietly as he turned his head to the other. Was Daniel up for awhile? He seemed...softer than he usually looked. There was just something he couldn't explain coming off of the other..

---

Alexander woke up the next day after his date, looking at himself in the mirror. Great..He thought as he saw a red hickey forming on his neck. It felt kind of good but..it was hard to describe how the others lips made him feel. It was like they felt good but could have been better? He left his hair down so it would not be as obvious, even if he normally never left his hair down. -Need me to pick you today?- He messaged the other as he made himself a bowl of cereal so he could leave sooner

"I-I don't know... I feel really weird..." Daniel admitted being honest with Alfred. He had become aware through yesterday and even last night that Alfred had been fascinated in petting his flank. Which he hadn't complained about because he had really liked it'd it and enjoyed the contact. Now though each time he would pet his flank it sent an odd feeling deep into his stomach, making him confused even though he enjoyed it still. "It's hot in here..." He added, a light pink hue was appearing on his skin and he was trying to think clearly through the sudden ache and need he was feeling made that incredibly difficult. Not to mention the sudden need to be close to Alfred, more so than he had already been feeling and not in the normal way. This whole thing was so confusing.

*~*~*~*~*

Xander had just gotten out of the shower when he heard his phone go off, reaching over for it he saw the message from Alexander a small smile appearing on his face. -Would you? I'd love to hear about your date, not to mention I am sooo tempted to just climb back into bed otherwise.- Xander texted back with a soft chuckle. Though he certainly was not lying either, he was so close to crawling back into bed and never moving from that spot.

"It is...kind of hot..." Alfred agreed, wondering if Daniel was getting the same odd feelings he was. Was he too feeling this innate need to be close to someone? All he knew was that he really wanted to be close to Daniel right now...but closer than he was before. It felt like a fire started in his stomach and he had no control over it..

---

-You better not be or I'll drag you out of bed!- Alexander texted with a small chuckle. He quickly finished his cereal before heading over to Xander's place. He knocked loudly on the door as he waited for the other to come out. He adjusted his hair and hoping the hickey was covered enough, a bit embarrassed but he knew the other might get curious regardless.

Daniel was definitely glad to hear that it wasn't just him who was hot and that Alfred apparently was feeling the same way. It made him feel quite a bit better even as he finally got to his feet and stretched his muscles, tail flicking a little as he became aware of the other scents in the room. Even if the scent of Alfred was still the most prominent and alluring one in the bunch, his eyes moving over the other and he gave him a small shy smile. This feeling was odd and he wasn't sure what to do with it? But there was the strong urge to throw himself at the other centaur, to kiss him, to be close to him. All urges and feelings he had never once explained before, all things that he had not had an interest in before.

*~*~*~*~*

Walking downstairs he had just enough time to grab his keys before he heard the loud knock on his door laughing once more as he moved over to it a small smile on his face. "You're lucky I like spending time with you and not so much lazy days in bed." He mused as he stepped out and shut the door behind him locking it. Taking Alexander in Xander became a bit curious, giving the other a curious look. "How was your date?" He asked deciding maybe that would explain why the other had his hair down, unless he was up to something.

Alfred watched his tail flick, scared of these new feelings in him. He had an urge to protect the other and wanted to make sure no harm came to him at all. But he also had the feelings of wanting to kiss him and all these other feelings that made his heart pump madly in his chest. And his scent..oh god his scent was to die for..

—-

“I..um..It went well..” Alexander said bashfully as he got to the car. “Could be a better kisser but..good” He said bashfully, lifting up his hair. He figured the other would ask one way or another and to just do it on his own terms. He showed him the bright red hickey that he had gotten on the left side of his neck.

Daniel was suddenly really aware of the way that Alfred was watching him especially when the other centaur had watched his tail flick. There was something in his eyes that both excited him and made him quite worried as he was shifting his feet and thinking about what the hell was happening to him. This wasn't normal! He had gone through many heats here and never once felt this way. But damn did his body feel different, Daniel was so confused, and shifted anxiously. He could hear the sounds of the others moving around, their movements seeming more... excited than yesterday. Which wasn't all that surprising since at least one of the females was normally in heat on the second day, but it wasn't exactly common in this barn either and that made his heart pound even more madly in his chest as though it was not pounding fast and hard enough already.

*~*~*~*~*

Hearing the date went well made a smile appear and he was about to tell Alexander to tell him more when the man added that his date could have been a better kisser making him laugh. What he wasn't expecting was the white haired man to life his long hair and show him the bright red hickey on the left side of his neck a small smirk appearing. "That explains why you're wearing your hair down when you almost never do that." He mused thoughtfully. "Didn't feel much when kissing him, huh?" He said as he rested back in his seat while Alexander drove them to the sanctuary and they could start letting the centaurs out for breakfast.

“Are you sure you’re okay..? You seem even more jumpy than normal..” Alfred said quietly as he stood up. It worries him a bit that he seemed so anxious as he tried to keep that sweet scent at bay. it was driving him crazy and he wasn’t sure what to do about it.

“No not really..I meant it felt good and all but not good good you know?” Alexander said as he drove off to the sanctuary. “I didn’t really feel a connection with him in a way that I liked..” He sighed in frustration as he was almost there. He wanted a kiss to make him feel like he had butterflies in his stomach, that he couldn’t get enough of the others touch.

"I... don't know." Daniel admitted as he stood there stock still, almost like he would before he would run for it, but instead of running he moved slowly closer to Alfred and nuzzled against the other centaur as he pressed himself up against him. "Maybe I'm just feeling... confined?" Which would be new to him as it was. But he wasn't sure what else to call it, other than the growing need to be close to Alfred or any centaur for that matter and the feeling inside of him. Maybe he just needed to get some fresh air and he'd feel better, stretch his legs more.

*~*~*~*~*

"I get it." Xander said with a nod and a small smile patting the other's arm. "You'll find someone." He added feeling like it would just take time for Alexander to find that special person. Arriving at the sanctuary he gave Alexander another smile before nodding towards the barns, "Let's go let them out before they work themselves up too much and take not of whose in heat." In a way Xander hoped that would distract Alexander a little from his date and apparent frustration towards the kiss not being quite what he had been wanting. It was understandable though, and it had been his first date in quite awhile.

“Maybe..I think we both need some fresh air right now..” Alfred said quietly as he nuzzled the other in return. He liked being this close more than he did ever before. It felt so warm and inviting..and it was kind of scary how much he liked it. He stared at the door as he was waiting for them to be let out.

“I hope so..Being lonely sucks sometimes” Alexander quietly laughed before he pulled up to the sanctuary. He got out of the car as he started letting out the centaurs one by one, everyone more worked up than usual. If a centaur was in heat, he made note of it alongside their name. One by one he did the same before stopping at Daniels stall and-what? Alexander looked very confused before looking at Xander. “Xander...?” He called out as he was moving to open the doors. Was..Was Daniel...? It can’t be...but he was showing the signs of heat..but he was male?

Daniel honestly couldn't control his need to be pressed up against Alfred, to be close to him, rubbing against him and enjoying the contact. Alfred nuzzled him back which helped ease him a bit and the smell of the other centaur truly seemed intoxicating if he was being honest with himself. Despite how his body felt and how off he was he was enjoying the other centaur more and was constantly fighting the urge to kiss him and be close in other ways as well. "You smell nice..." Daniel suddenly commented a soft groan following the words. He was so focused on Alfred that he actually hadn't noticed Alexander had arrived at their stall or he probably would have ran to him and greeted him like most mornings when Alexander was the one to open the stall door.

*~*~*~*~*

Xander had been working the other side of the barn, letting the centaurs out making a not of which ones were in heat if any, he had just let out another stall when he heard Alexander call to him. Turning he noticed he was at Daniel and Alfred's stall and for a moment he was worried that Daniel was hurt or something or maybe Alfred had been and they hadn't noticed the night before? He wasn't sure but he went instantly over to Alexander and looked into the stall, what met him stunned him and he stopped beside him just staring at the two centaurs. "But... h-how?" He asked his voice soft. It made no sense, how could Daniel be in heat? He was male for one... not to mention this wasn't the first heat season Daniel had been here for and he had never gone into heat before. It just didn't make any sense. "I think... we may need one of those vet techs..." He said to Alexander knowing that neither Alfred nor Daniel would like to be kept in the stall longer but they had to check in on this, to make sure everything was really okay. "Maybe we should... let Alfred out and keep Daniel back for a bit to have one of the vets give him a quick exam?" He asked not sure how Alexander wanted to handle this.

“You smell nicer...” Alfred said in a low hum while Daniel was close to him. He didn’t even notice the stall doors opening, too drawn in to the others scent to notice. He continued to nuzzle him, wanting to be closer to the others scent that made him want to remain close..it made him want to do things he couldn’t even explain.

“I..I don’t know..” Alexander said as he stood there in awe and confusion. He had no idea what was going on and quickly went to get a vet tech and two workers to help get Alfred out of the cage. They were so close and if Daniel was in heat, he wanted to leave him with some protection. With some force, he managed to get Alfred out of the stall, who was not happy at being separated from Daniel as he gave them a hard time before eventually getting outside. The vet tech approached him carefully, looking him over closely. “I can’t explain it but..He is a male and is indeed going through a heat cycle” She said as she looked just as surprised before letting Daniel lose. “Great..Just great, What is going on today? I get a date, Daniel goes into heat, what’s next?! You might as well start making out with me with how strange my day is going” He shook his head as he was left very confused

It was nice, the smell on Alfred and their closeness, it was definitely appealing and he hummed happily as he continued to enjoy the nuzzling and nudging. When the stall doors opened he wasn't even aware of it, not until they were separating them at which point even he wasn't very happy and watched as they had to struggled to get Alfred out of the stall before he noticed the vet tech. Daniel didn't understand why she was here but stood as still as he could get himself too while she was checking him over. What she said though stunned him and he even looked at her a little surprised but soon got over it as well when he darted out of the stall the moment he was allowed to and looked for Alfred who he was more than eager to be reunited with."

*~*~*~*~*

"This doesn't make any sense." Xander said softly. He watched Daniel dart out when he was allowed to leave before he was turning back to Alexander and the vet tech. "Well... I wouldn't say no to that but this isn't the time." Xander mused a small smirk appearing as he nudged the other gently before he was turning his attention back to the vet tech. "How is it possibly that Daniel could go into heat? He's never showed signs of one before." He asked not really understanding this. "Maybe... maybe we need to look into getting an expert on centaurs here... seek an outside opinion on how this is really possible. Because... Daniel being in heat... that could cause a lot of problems in the sanctuary not to mention he's already been at the receiving end of the males before, to think of him being in heat around them like this... there is no telling what they could or would try to do to him." Xander said concerned about the small centaur now.

Alfred stayed around the barn where the stalls were, wanting to be back in there with Daniel. He was irritated at the separation and wanted to get back to being close to him. He was impatient before finally seeing him, darting over to him immediately and nuzzling him. That short span of time felt like forever as he cuddled and nuzzled Daniel.

Wait what? Alexander thought about the others comment about making out before he got quickly distracted by Daniel again. “Follow me, We need to find someone who can help us understand this and now..for Daniels sake” He said as he worried even more for tiny Daniel. He darted to his office to look for the most qualified person for this. A fellow conservationist? A zoology expert? He looked link from link in a google search to try to find someone

Daniel was thoroughly excited to be met by Alfred as he was coming out of the barn a large smile appearing as they instantly nuzzled up to each other and were cuddling again. After a moment Daniel was happy to head with Alfred out into the grounds sticking close to the larger centaur since he was still highly attracted to the larger figure and wanted to be close to him at all times. "You know... there's an apple tree out in the woods... we could... have some apples off that for breakfast and skip the others?" Daniel suggested. He wasn't sure how many people if anyone knew the apple tree was there as it seemed to be well hidden in the woods for anyone who didn't explore them like he did. That and it gave him a chance to be alone with the larger centaur even more, something he was quite interested in.

*~*~*~*~*

Xander nodded and turned to follow Alexander sitting beside him as they looked at link after link from the google search. Someone had to know about this and could give them directions on the best route to care for Daniel during this period. It was hard to accept that this was happening to Daniel, that any male could be in heat like this and he was actually quite worried about the smaller centaur. "What about this guy? It's said that he's been around and lived with wild herds. Maybe... he'll know what's happening to Daniel? Anyone that can integrate themselves into a wild herd and live alongside them surely has to know something right? I mean... it says he was also a zoology major specializing in centaurs. This might be our man!" Xander said pointing out the different things the man had written on his page about himself. It was their best shot and figuring this out.

“I like apples..lead the way” Alfred said as he wanted to enjoy the other’s company someplace quieter. He hoped he could keep these raging feelings in check but those feelings were what made him feel like he wanted the time with Daniel this much in the first place. He was sure things would be fine as he waited for the other to lead the way. Apples were his favorite food and now he would get to enjoy them with Daniel.

—-

Alexander was looking through link after link before Xander pointed out someone. He clicked on his link and it led him to the mans website. His credentials seemed good and he seemed like an honest good man. “This might be our guy..!” He said as he quickly sent the man an email about their dilemma. Within minutes they got a response, saying he could be there as soon as tomorrow morning as he was across the country at the moment. Alexander thanked him before sighing and laying back in his chair. “Want to hang out tonight? I’m going to need some good relaxing after this day I’m having” He sighed and ran a hand through his hair.

Daniel was happy that Alfred agreed and was quick to lead the way towards the woods ignoring the attention they had from the other centaurs as they disappeared into the trees. Feeling positive even after what he had heard the vet tech say about him that none of them would venture after them. It wasn't as easy for them to navigate the trees as it was for him, and though Alfred wasn't able to navigate them that easily he didn't mind all that much in the end. Taking it slower so Alfred could keep up they ended up making it to the apple tree not that long after. It sat in a clearing so they had space to play around or run a bit if they wanted while the trees and bushes surrounding it were thick and giving them some cover. At least... Daniel liked to think they were giving them cover even if he wasn't entirely.

*~*~*~*~*

"It's a good thing he'll be here so quickly. The sooner the better, especially if we can figure out what to do about this. Poor Daniel..." Xander said softly as he sat there beside Alexander. Suddenly the other man asked if he wanted to hang out tonight, telling him that he was going to need it after the day he was having. Laughing softly and giving Alexander a small smile he nodded, "You know I'd love to." He admitted. Which he was sure Alexander really did know though, he loved the man, loved being around him, loved spending time with him and everything. For a moment forgetting that he had made the comment about making out with Alexander earlier, it had been a lapse with everything going on but had also been quite honest.

Alfred was able to keep up since the pace was far slower and manageable for him. He saw the tree and looked over at Daniel. “It is beautiful..” He said as he walked with Daniel to the tree. He reached up to grab an apple from higher up, giving he first one to daniel before getting one for himself. He took a big bite and loved the fresh refreshing taste of an apple right from the tree.

—-

“Movie night it is! I’ll order up some pizza this time so we can just kick it back today. I know it’s not a personal chef dinner today but pizza is just as good” He laughed, patting the others back. “So I guess we will just do what we normally do during the heat and we will meet up at my house?” He spoke with a soft smile

"Thank you." Daniel said with a smile when Alfred picked an apple and handed it to him, the larger centaur would be able to pick the apples higher up and that were probably better than the ones hanging lower that he would have been able to reach on his own. Happily taking a bite of the apple he was content to just relax here with Alfred, there was a stream nearby so he wasn't worried about them getting thirsty and needing to leave the nice spot or deal with the others until lunch and dinner when he was sure that Alfred would want to head in for an actual meal outside of apples. Daniel was enjoying his apple with Alfred when suddenly his ears twitched and his head snapped up turning to look in the direction the sound had come in. It wasn't the normal sounds he was used to in this part of the woods. Daniel had jumped back to his feet and looked ready to flee at any second, a feeling that was apparently for good reason when a few centaurs entered their clearing. They way they were looking at him made him uncomfortable, especially as he noticed them moving closer and closer to him which caused him to back away slowly.

*~*~*~*~*

"Hey, as much as I love you cooking for me I can't possibly turn down pizza!" Xander laughed looking forward to a night of movies and pizza with Alexander. Then it came time for them to go on their way and take care of their own tasks for the day, "Yes. I'll meet up with you for lunch, and then again when we round the centaurs up for the night." Xander said patting the other's back before he was getting up and leaving the office. Telling Alexander not to worry too much about Daniel, that hopefully they'd get all the answers tomorrow when their expert arrived.

Alfred noticed Daniel freaking out and starting to back up before he heard the noises. He saw a bunch of male centaurs had entered the clearing as well. He had this inmate drive he couldn’t explain to protect Daniel...he didn’t want anyone else touching him. “Back off...” He gave a low warning with a huff of air coming from his nose. “Go anywhere near Daniel..” He didn’t finish the thought, standing up on his hind legs and kicking in the air. He was itching for a fight, ready to keep those others at bay.

—-

“Thanks again xander” Alexander smiled warmly to him as the other pet his back. It made his back feel all warm, did he warm his hands earlier? No matter..He thought as he set himself up to complete what he needed to for the day. The man will have answers...Daniels okay...he kept repeating to himself

Despite Alfred moving to protect him Daniel still wanted to dart for it, at least until he had turned to do so to see there were a couple of Centaurs there as well. It left him completely trapped, the tree to one side, and centaurs on all the others. It made Daniel move closer to Alfred, knowing that the larger centaur had every intention of protecting him, especially since he had stated just that telling them not to get near him and rearing up to kick out his feet. It made him feel safer, even if he had to admit that he was completely terrified.

"We're not going to hurt him." One of the centaurs said as they inched closer. "We just want... to get closer." Said a second which just made Daniel let out a soft whine and press himself up against the tree this time. "Besides, you haven't even earned the right to any of them yet." This made Daniel's blood run cold, getting an idea what they were talking about based on what the vet had said and he was definitely not okay with that. He didn't want any of them around him, especially when they didn't want him around normally. "Alfred..." Daniel whispered pretty much terrified at this point. His eyes shut and he flinched back into the tree feeling the bark scrape against his arm when one of them had suddenly launched towards him as though thinking as a group it would be easy to get around Alfred and grab him.

*~*~*~*~*

"Of course!" Xander called as he left. After leaving Alexander he went about his normal duties, overseeing and helping with cleaning the stalls, washing them out and making sure that they were on schedule to serve lunch around noon. He checked on the herds of centaur more easily visible from the sanctuary fence and then checked to see who was in heat or not. When his eyes landed on Daniel's name he sighed worried about the small centaur and knowing finding and keeping an eye on him would be incredibly difficult since the smaller centaur liked to hide deep in the woods. This was not going to make keeping tabs on him easy, but he hoped come tomorrow the expert might have an idea on how to do so.

They did not just say that..Alfred said with a stronger huff. The others scent with his words of fear made him really angry. He charged the guy going for Daniel, slamming into him. He reared up on his hind legs to kick at another, ready to attack. No one was going to hurt Daniel! Daniel is not yours!

Daniel didn't like, didn't like it at all even as he turned his head towards the tree with his eyes shut trying to ignore what was happening and pretend he was somewhere else. It scared him that they only seemed to want him because he was apparently in heat, something he didn't even want to admit or bring attention to as it was. Embarrassed about it, knowing that none of the other males were only made it that much worse. His eyes opened in time to see Alfred slamming into the one that had moved towards him before he was rearing up and kicking at another.

The centaurs didn't seem all that phased though, the one that had been slammed into was knocked back but not discouraged in getting Daniel despite that. It just encouraged them to take turns trying to get to Daniel. Whichever one darted forward then moved quickly to the side or back in an attempt to lure Alfred further from Daniel to leave an opening for another one to grab him. It wasn't like they were unaware of how this worked, not being the strongest in their own groups allowed them the chance to move away and go after Daniel while the most dominant centaur of their group stayed with the females. They were used to trying to get around the males to whoever was in heat at the time, even if they were rarely successful. This seemed easy though, none of them new Alfred but they knew he was a new centaur who had yet to prove himself and Daniel was a small outcast with nowhere to go. The whole situation just seemed perfect to them so they were going to do their best and give it the best shot they had.

Alfred was not about to back down, using his hind legs to kick one of the centaurs. Another that came close he went and punched in the face. He was not going to let anyone hurt Daniel even if he got hurt doing it! Anyone that got close he either kicked or punched without hesitation. Daniel is and will not be yours! His scent is mine! He didn’t want to see anyone hurt Daniel.