Fruits Basket

arowana

I didn't see a thread about this one yet, so I just wanted to talk about Fruits Basket! Sure, the anime came out *checks calendar* 16 years ago, but there's a remake coming out in a few months, and I am rewatching the original, so I'm down to talk about it! I read the manga a loooooooong time ago, but I'll probably be rereading it as a refresher, as well!

Has anyone else read or watched this series? Do you have any favorite characters or episodes? I still remembered a surprising amount of detail when I went back to watch it....and I still really love a lot of the characters! Looking back at it now, Furuba was a bit of a gateway drug into yaoi, haha definitely had some really good moments in there.

Here's the Opening to the original, because FEELS

[video=youtube_share;G9DRKPKeQkc]

And here's the remake trailer:

[video=youtube_share;KOg8CC_ONHU]

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rumpleteaser

• arowana

• Dragon of St. Valentine

• lowkeygay

Oh neat! I loved this anime when I watched it. It was sweet. I'd love to watch the remake. It was so long ago that I don't remember the characters or individual episodes but I loved the folklore story about the god and the 13 animals of the zodiac.

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.
:Jumping around: Hurray, I'm glad you remember it a little! Yeah, the premise was pretty interesting, and it's fun seeing how the characters match up to their zodiacs!

After some more digging around, it looks like the seiyuu cast for the remake version include Nobunaga Shimazaki for Yuki (also voiced Haru in Free!) and Yūma Uchida for Kyo (also voiced Ash Lynx in Banana Fish). So, I'm pretty curious how that dynamic's going to sound!

I didn't notice it at the time, but apparently the original version casted Tomokazu Seki for Kyo (who voiced for Sagara Sousuke in Full Metal Panic!). Which....I can totally see in retrospect, but was still a nice surprise--I really liked his Kyo.

Ya. I loved all the zodiac characters. It was fascinating how they interacted and how their family treated them. It was really sad that their parents either rejected them or were over-protective of them.

I know nothing of seiyuus or actors. I can't even tell most voices apart. I mean, I understand that seiyuus are picked to match the personality of the character they're portraying but even in English cartoons it's not something I pick up on. I have trouble hearing and mostly rely on subtitles when watching TV. I mean, I've been tested and my ears are working fine. I can hear the little beeps. I have a lot of trouble distinguishing words and even whether they're in English. I can sit on a bus next to some people and not have a clue whether they're speaking English. So ya, seiyuus matter little to me. T.T

: Oh wow! That's pretty interesting! I'd imagine in that case you'd prefer manga over watching anime? (But maybe that's not the case?) If you don't mind my asking, does the same thing apply to music/singing, as well? For me, I only sometimes care about seiyuu casting--definitely if the voice actor doesn't "suit" the character it can feel jarring, or sometimes I'd notice the same seiyuu playing a character in a different anime and it messes with my immersion in the anime... but that only happens every so often. Even so, the original Fruits Basket has a special place in my heart, including the seiyuu casting, so it'll be interesting to see how the remake does with all these things.

Hahah I'm kind of getting off topic now, sorry >_>

Agree, I still think a lot about Momiji's storyline, but also Kisa's and Kyo's and Yuki's. There's no way they'd have a happy upbringing with a setup like that, but seeing how they dealt with it (or didn't) made all the characters seem really distinct and memorable.

I like both. Subbed anime is great because I can read along to it. I love music but understanding the words is tricky for me. If I like a song enough to want to sing it, I look up the lyrics. The only case I've ever experienced of an actor not suiting the role was Hal Jordan in the Green Lantern. Fruits Basket was one of the earlier ones I watched that got me into anime. I loved it to bits. It was really sweet. I'm not generally a sweet person though.

I feel really sorry for Isuzu most. Her parents didn't deserve her. Also, it was terrible of the family to pit the cat and the rat against eachother for the sake of their folklore.

• 2 months later...

Read all the Manga, seen the entire series. It's cute. It was always one of those Anime's that I would watch when I was sick or in a bad mood. It always lifted my spirits.

Kyo is my favourite character. And I was actually shocked that it had a female main character that I could actually stand. Tohru was pretty great.

• 3 months later...

I really loved the manga (still does, I own the entire manga, my bf just make me store the books under out bed.. >:c), but wasn't a fan of the 2001 anime adaptation, however the new adaptation is soooo neat! I really enjoy it

Favorite characters; Akito, Hatori, Yuki and Shigure :Excited: