Mystery of Nevermore (Snow & Winter #1) by C.S. Poe (YO Book club Dec, 2018)

Racheal

C3ajL7n.jpg

It’s Christmas, and all antique dealer Sebastian Snow wants is for his business to make money and to save his floundering relationship with closeted CSU detective, Neil Millett. When Snow’s Antique Emporium is broken into and a heart is found under the floorboards, Sebastian can’t let the mystery rest.

He soon finds himself caught up in murder investigations that echo the macabre stories of Edgar Allan Poe. To make matters worse, Sebastian’s sleuthing is causing his relationship with Neil to crumble, while at the same time he’s falling hard for the lead detective on the case, Calvin Winter. Sebastian and Calvin must work together to unravel the mystery behind the killings, despite the mounting danger and sexual tension, before Sebastian becomes the next victim.

In the end, Sebastian only wants to get out of this mess alive, and live happily ever after with Calvin.

Description from Amazon

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bondingboys

• voide

• Jochie

• shinyaKogami

Murder cases and queer detectives, my favorite~

Hopefully this book will at least cheer me up and lift my mood after crying and sobbing ugly because of a certain angst-y book by M. Vivancos . . .

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.
have you done with this book? I just finished it, when we can start discussing it??

And any one know if the author relates to Edgar Allen Poe??

Aaah I haven't started yet,

---! Might do this night on my time zone . . . (I planned for yesterday, but easily got distracted by A. Hazzard's newest book "Just a Bit Gay" -- and Tom Hardy's awesomeness as an ace pilot in Dunkirk film. >///

For the discussion, I guess on 3rd week?

please confirm~~

Also, not related I think, but perhaps for writing this series C.S. Poe was influenced by Edgar Allan Poe's works?

have you done with this book? I just finished it, when we can start discussing it??

And any one know if the author relates to Edgar Allen Poe??

You are correct

You can start nex Monday Jochie

okay, can't wait to discuss it with you guys on Monday!

Well yeah, her name is Poe and she quoting E. A Poe a lot in this book, make me curious :p

Around 37% into the book: . . . "Baby", and hard kisses, and suddenly on his knees doing, eh, you know.

Me, hitting my reader device on pillows while crying out: I have expectation for slow burn, dammit! Not this insta-lust nor insta-love nonsense--- aaaaargh!!!!

The end of Ch 8: "I shouldn't have initiated anything. I'm sorry. I need to go."

Me, throwing my reader devices away then walking out of the room, shouting: F@CKING F@CK YOU, WINTER!!!

. . . I'm starting to dislike their would-be romance, Jochie.

But I'll try to keep reading since the cases look intriguing . . .

your comments make me laugh 😂

I know right, I also surprised when Winter said and do that, I thought there will be more resistance from him.

And to be honest I like Sebby more as a nick name than Baby or sweetheart, it sound more personal

It's might not how you like it but It's quite fun to read, so please continue Bondingboys

So . . . I've said that I disliked their romance in the book, but

, Jochie!!! Have you read the two codas of Nevermore from the author's site
??? These are so so sweet (and a bit corny from Winter's pov, haha)! But why weren't these codas in the book? I could like Winter's character more and accept their insta-romance without rolling my eyes everytime I read their heated moments . . .

no not yet, I'll check it out tomorrow. Contrary to most population, I don't have free time in the weekend :p

It so reminds me of Josh Lanyon's the Adrien English series... I don't mean it's a bad thing, just the plot is very similar. Ok, I still have, like, a half of book, so I'll be back later for the discussion.

But just a thought...

"...would he be willing to out himself to a fellow detective, who he believed was a homophobe, if it meant the safety of his boyfriend?

It concerned me greatly that I didn't have a answer to that question."

Seriously? Isn't it like a death flag for the relationship? Dude, you don't know if your boyfriend is willing to sacrifice his closeted ass to save your from jail? For murder? Really? That's not a healthy relationship

So, I'm back here after reading my two precious releases, and I made a quick search on goodreads on this book but some of the comments made me sad :/

So one of the comments state that there is cheating, the MC sleeps with the other MC while still in relationship with another man. So it's very likely I won't be reading this book, because I just can't seem to be comfortable with this theme. :(

Thpugh, have fun reading guys!

"MC sleeps with the other MC while still in relationship with another man" was kinda true, but it was after the MC and his partner have argument and fought verbally and this partner walked out and stayed away from the MC.

But well, of course the relationship between the MC and his partner was not healthy (as

has pointed above) in six month they were living together and then there came some break-ins, decaying heart found, followed by murder cases, MC started "sleuthing" around and met the other MC, attraction sparked and insta-lust (which I disliked).

in-universe they talked about the cheating part and the MC felt so guilty, but you see? The thing was a day before the "physical cheating" occured, the MC wanted to break up with his partner but couldn't seem say any word (part feeling guilty/miserable and part having injury) . . .

So yes, cheating is a no no and another reason I still dislike their insta-romance (. . . although the codas I mentioned before were really sweet that I might reconsider to read the next book).

But for the murder cases? It was intriguing and the achromatopsia the MC had was kinda interesting . . .

just finished the codas. OMG, Calvin was so sweet I have the need to take my blood sugar test kit out

I also don't like cheating, but in this case they already separated only not officially break up

, yes, Winter could be so sweet in his own way! I mean, twister spinner and fireworks to "introduce" Snow the colour red and blue (and other colours)? Wow, what a man . . . I might or might not shed a tear and grab my chest while reading that tender moment between those two . . .

And then his pov in 2nd coda! Why was he sooo freaking corny??? I saw Snow's character in different light because of his poetic way singing: "My sunshine" and “You make me happy when skies are gray” -- like, excuse me but who was this Winter and where was that stoic Winter who loved to "jump" on Snow in any moment they were alone together? lol

I get what you mean, that their relationship was about to end, I actually have no idea how author described their dynamic, but my very recent experience about similar topic makes me stay away..

I started reading Seven of Spades book, there is the exact same case, actually if I remember right MC doesnt even cheat, but newly broke up and sleeps with other MC. What I couldn't handle was even though the mystery was great and all, the author didn't give me any reason to justify the end of their relationship, and it was a long one, and they didn't even fight for it. It just discourages me about reading more about an MC that doesn't fight for the one he once loved / because the other man was just okay.

Anyway excuse my rambling.. I am sure the mystery is good, but I just have difficulties about reading a book that I don't bond with its MC.

I know right, and everyone thought he's heartless, turn out he's full of sunshine, rainbow and unicorn :D

I understand

, we all have something we can't tolerate

while I get why the MC want to break up with his ex, I still think it was to soon for him to jump in bed with the new one

I hope our next book will be something you can enjoy :)

I agree with what Jochie said, Shinya, although part of it I blame

Winter for jumping on Snow out of a sudden. I mean, I believe there wouldn't have been any physical cheating occured since Snow were still thinking about his failed and doomed relationship with his (former) partner guiltily . . . Also Snow has thought that his crush on Winter wouldn't be reciprocated that way and sooner . . .

So, yes,

, I hope you'll enjoy the next chosen book. :)

So,

, about the case.

It's intriguing, yes, but for me it turned out easier to guess who the murderer was after Duncan Andrews came and approached Snow in Emporium while enthusiastically talking about Edgar A. Poe. And when Snow started suspecting Greg, I was rolling my eyes hard, haha! Typical Snow to immediately suspect someone he knew and who has acted like an as$hole to him before, heh.

Thanks guys!

I hope I wasn't that much of a spoilsport!

Hello fellow readers! I am excited we are at it again, and this was interesting read indeed. I enjoyed her writing very much, (it's quite possible it had something to do with shitload of Charlie Richards so any change is good :D )

To be on the safe side I'll presume we are still in the spoiler mode.

Mystery was satisfying but like

suggested I suspected Duncan since he showed at the Emporium. And Neil didn't even cross my mind, not even once. He never appeared like scorned lover type.

I see there was discussion about cheating part, and to me it is similar to Ross and Rachel's "we were on the break", forever unsolved was it really cheating, does circumstances metter or not?

It is sensitive and often discusted theme and I completely understand not wanting to read something which makes you uncomfortable. Here's to the next book being something more to your liking!

I actually read entire series and Southernmost Murder, just because :D and it was fun read, although first and third book in the series where more satisfying then the second one.

how do you rate the romance part in "Southernmost Murder"? Do you like it better than Snow & Winter series? (Please no spoiler since I haven't read the following books of this first one and I wanna read "Southernmost Murder" but still doubt it will be really standalone story . . . )

This was an experience...

The romance part didn't fulfill me, I guess. It went from nothing to everything too fast. And Sebastian, dear, I'm sorry but I don't like you... XD

I felt like I skipped the prequel on romance part in Southernmost Murder, but I really liked characters especially Audrey, he was more my speed than Sebastian frankly. I liked their interactions and they are not as corny as previous two. So let's say I like them a bit more.

In all of her books I miss the courting part, getting to know each other, that slow burn and anticipation.

I think you are right about this not being stand alone, there is no cliffhanger or anything, but there is that feeling you know?

There is nothing in codas, well nothing regarding Audrey and Jun, so that's disappointing. And I hate that cover, while I don't mind the cover of MoN.