• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• batista

• crystald

• confidant_v

• YellowMelon

Wow. This was a difficult theme for me to interpret. So I hope my interpretation makes sense but I have no idea how I really did it.

Title: Too Dark to See

Word Count: 598

In a world full of colors, I’ve never been able to see any. My colors are limited to grays, whites, and blacks. If I want to “see” a color, I rely on someone else to describe the color to me. Sometimes I can imagine it and other times the description is useless. Truly, I’ve never wanted to leave the world of colorblindness. Not seeing color makes everything simple. I don’t have to care about matching the color of my clothes or picking a paint color for the walls of my room. My excuse is that I’m color blind. I’ve also learned to just not care. Color is important to those who see but, in reality, no one needs to see color. It’s a blindness but you’re not completely blind. You can easily function. That’s how I always felt, at least.

My boyfriend is someone who may – no – who will argue with that statement. We have, many times, fought about what colors I am to wear and that any colors are good to me. He’s not fond of my non-caring attitude, but I can’t change how I feel. He can’t step into my shoes and I can’t step into his. We’re two opposites in that sense, but, despite that difference, we still get along.

We’ve been talking about adopting a pet. It’ll be an important step in our relationship, as it would be for any relationship. There isn’t a problem on deciding what pet, as we both are cat-loving people, but the deciding factor is dependent on the coat color. I know it’s silly, isn’t it? However, my boyfriend insists we get a cat we both find pleasing to the eye. Of course, we care about personality too, but he wants to ensure we have no regrets with the cat we adopt. The more I tell him I don’t care about the color, the more annoyed he gets. I can’t even pretend to care because he’s been with me long enough to know when I’m lying. The tone of my voice always gives me away.

----- ฅ/ᐠ。ᆽ。ᐟ \ -----

“Do you not care about this as much as I do?!”

“I care, but how many times do I have to tell you I’m not concerned about color! I can’t see color! I don’t care what color the cat is because I won’t be able to see it unless it’s a shade I can see!”

“Don’t you want a shade you can see then?!”

“I don’t care!”

----- /ᐠ≗ᆽ≗ᐟ \ -----

I didn’t think it was possible to get a cat that black. Oddly, it was darker than the blacks I’m used to seeing. It appeared to be a walking black hole in the shape of a cat, not the animal itself, and that terrified me. It was as though my mind was playing a trick on me. I knew the cat was there, but my brain couldn’t comprehend it was a cat. It had to be a dark, moving abyss. I looked at my boyfriend as I backed away from the thing coming at me.

The wide grin on his face hinted his awareness to me. He picked up the creature before I was swallowed by it.

“Do you care now?”

“Yes, yes, I do. Now bring that thing back where it came from!”

“Nope, they say a black cat is good luck, so we must have lots of good luck with a coat that appears darker than black…to you, at least.”

He must think it’ll be fun to have a black hole as a pet. I cared more about color than ever now.

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.
i’m Sorry about that. I noticed it myself that on my laptop I can read it without any difficulties and on the phone it turned out a little too dark >.

Actually it’s always the same text just that i edited the name of the contest which i hope you can read :D

So if you want to read the rules again please go to the previous contest. Sorry for the inconvenience :/

• 2 weeks later...

In the throes of nightfall

He always thought that he knew darkness but it all changed the moment he lost his sight. He went down on a low spiraling of depression, he couldn’t help himself. He knew in his head that there were far worst things that could have happened to him and even more tragic events out there in the world, nevertheless he had always relied on his sight more than any other of his senses so he wasn’t coping well at all. As soon as he was discharged from the hospital he went home and began to isolated himself, cutting all unnecessary contact with other people at first and then when he could managed on his own he secluded himself entirely. The days started to morph into weeks and then months, his family and friends tried to reach him and reason with him but they never pass the property gate, he would not see them. His sister was the most relentless of them all, he assume she rented what appear to be a bucket truck and climbed above the high fence and played her violin for hours with the melodies of their youth. She did that every other day without fail.

Today was no different, after three hours or so the music stopped, he waited a moment and then pressed the button at the right side of his desk and the remote visual assistant responded. – How may I help you Mr. Grenval? – He waited a moment to hear if the music continue and asked. – Is my sister still perched out there Charles? – He felt some of the front cameras zoom in and then listened to the response. – Yes she is, she’s drinking the last of her bottle of water; she just finished and is picking her violin up again. Would that be all Mr. Grenval? – He smiled despite himself. – Yes. Thanks Charles.

He leaned back on the seat and listened when the melody started again. He was only indulgent with his sister of all people, they were kindred spirits and he knew she would never give up; after all she had given him his most valuable aid, his darling Charles. He was so enamored with his velvety voice, his inquisitive nature and kind and caring disposition. Unlike other visual assistants, he had requested a position near home so he could be of hands on help if the need arise. So in the end it had been settle that Charles would live in on one of the cottages of the far end of the property. A reluctant comfort at first in his opinion, but with time he had warmed up to the idea of having the lad so close by, especially in those silent nights when he couldn’t sleep.

Nightmares and Daydreams

Somehow this idiot is more annoying today but that might be because I still haven’t seen him yet, my preferred caffeine shot. My head shot up, he is here. Then my body froze because what the hell, he is coming towards me. I don’t know how I am attuned to his every move. This is normal, right? “Don’t do this, I don’t want you to be hurt” I feverishly thought inside my head. He sat beside me and Eric stared dumbfound before collecting himself and moving away. I thought he might ignore me and maybe do whatever he wants in silence, yeah not so much.

“Hi. How are you holding up?” he asked. “Are you crazy?” I half-whispered, “continue talking to me and there will be scandal by an hour. I might probably be expelled and later people might find my body half-broken somewhere” I said. I can clearly visualize it. He chuckled and promptly stopped my musing. My head swivelled towards him. I was mesmerized because his laugh carried so much affection. My sister, whose laughter lit up my whole world, flashed in my mind. Now his voice is fused with concern “Wow you somehow look darker than black but also bright at the same time. Also do you think people will dare think to hurt you if they know who you are?” he asked. I opened my mouth to ask who he think I was but I promptly shut up cause he knew.

My head start hurting, heart aching and I start thinking of how people who love me end up dying, just like my sister. The nightmares. A wave of comfort washed over me and I cant help the tear that slipped. He sent it. I am usually more in control. Apparently not in front of him. “I really want to hug you now and I know that you know who I really am” he said. I imitated a fish which made him laugh and then I was standing and hugging him. “I didn’t know you have mind control” I said. His head is nuzzling my neck, sparking million feelings and reactions. “Stop, control yourself. He will get hurt. Nightmares.” and the last thought had me jerking away from him.

“I know you like me, I like you too. All those glances and daydreams are making me crazy. Damn them all. I wanna date you” he said. I was about to reject him when he said “don’t even think about it. if you are gonna reject me you should have valid reason and not because of your power. You have fears I understand but know that I have them too but I want to take a chance on us.” he said.

I felt torn. Hope is a very dangerous thing and I really really don’t want it but then I look at him, maybe for the time being, safe inside this institution walls, I can. If my life is as full of danger as it is said I can live a little and its not like he will still love me by the end of month, well lets change it to weeks. He will think its too much effort. There will be lot of hiding, the scandal that will surely come this afternoon, the pressure plus the effort to be with me. Yup definitely gonna run for the hills. I nodded and cleared my throat. “ well if wmfff…” before I could finish he is kissing like those toe curling kisses I heard but thought never gonna have. He pressed his forehead to mine. “That was soumfff” he intend to say something but I wanted that experience again and now kissing him. “ yeah. Tomorrow at that lake. We will talk. Now the bell’s gonna ring.” Neither of us, able to move away from other.

Happy Halloween! I won't get to do much to celebrate this year, but I'm glad I managed to at least do this! Not that my story came out super Halloweeny, but still XD

Coffee Break (600 words)

You can tell a lot from a person by the type of coffee they order.

There are those who want a simple cafe au lait. They tend to be just as simple as their drink. Boring? Maybe. But they’re always calm and easygoing.

You have the ones who order the specialty drinks every time a new one comes out. Those people can’t mind their own business. You can’t escape the gossip that they just absolutely have to share.

And then… Well, then there’s Ray. Ray and his dark coffee that isn’t quite dark enough. He always complained that the coffee we serve isn’t as bitter as he would like it. He always took his coffee black, but even our darkest roasts never seemed to be enough. We don’t have anything as strong as Cuban coffee so he’s stuck with our pitiful stock. Normally, I would just tell him to go find another coffee shop, but I was drawn to Ray. There was something about the look in eyes when he spoke to me that transfixed me, as if he were hypnotizing me without meaning to.

I’m lying; he’s hot so I wanted his number.

Unfortunately, the jerk wouldn’t surrender it so easily. He said to me, “Alright, I’ll make you a deal. You find me a coffee dark enough to satisfy me and I’ll give you my number. Sound good, barista?”

“Sounds great,” I said back with more confidence than I actually had. “And the name is Mitsuo.”

“Sure thing, barista.”

Oh, I’d get that number if it killed me.

I started him out with the New Orleans roast. One of the darkest roasts out there. He took one sip, asked me why I gave him something as sweet as a birthday cake, and sent me on my way.

The next morning I gave him Espresso roast. I knew I had him. I served it to him black, per the norm, and he tasted it only to shake his head and give me back the cup. I’d failed again.

When morning struck once again I poured him the Vienna roast. It was blacker than night with a taste so charred you might as well have been eating coal. This time he laughed at me when I served it to him! What the hell was wrong with this guy’s taste buds?

This was my last chance. It didn’t get any darker than French roast. I handed it to that beautifully evil man and said, “This shit tastes like ashes so if it doesn’t do it for you I don’t know what will.” I walked away from him, knowing it wouldn’t be enough. I’m not the type to give up, but what could I do? I’d done all I could, but I’d never met a man who wanted his coffee as dark as this guy. No sugar or cream, just the purest, blackest, darkest, most bitter coffee he could have. Perhaps people who want that kind of coffee are just impossible to reach.

Sure enough he left before I could come back and check on him. Any hope within me was crushed.

Then my co-worker came up to me and handed me a napkin.

“This is for you. It’s from that guy you’ve been obsessing over.”

On the napkin was Ray’s number with a little heart next to it.

My smile was enormous, and let’s be real… I may have teared up a bit. Some people may disagree, but loving black coffee doesn’t mean your soul is as black as obsidian.

In reality, people who order the darkest roasts are simply wonderful.

and

Congratulations! :Wink:

This was so much fun!

Congrats to

! and
!

cheering_minions.gif

Have a great weekend!

onion1