What's your favorite yaoi manga trope?

PastelUnicorn

What is your favorite reoccurring yaoi manga trope (tropes being cliches that show up in this genre a lot).

I'm a big fan of the cold and mysterious seme confronted by the uke for some form of emotional misunderstanding resulting from the seme's cold and mysterious nature. Like in Chintsubu, when Kamiya confronts Iwabuchi because he thinks that he's going to get a piercing when he was actually getting Kamiya a new set of earrings.

I like this kind of storyline because I think one of the hardest things to do is having some kind of confrontation with a loved one and usually these stories ending having the fears be completely unfounded. I don't like confrontation in real life, so seeing it turn out well is always a plus for me.

So, what about you guys?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• confidant_v

• Alezander

• Fujiyoshi

• PastelUnicorn

I love it when the character start out hating one another or they are rivals in some way but they eventually fall in love.

tsundere ukes turning soft around their semes! holy crap, that's one of my eternal favorites. another one would be semes who used to think they're straight but suddenly they feel attraction to other guys.

I really do love a soft, gentle seme who only wants to take care of their precious little uke. It pulls at my heartstrings every single time!

• 2 months later...

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.

I really like that trope too! But I'd like an extra twist where the seme is usually such a gentleman and always looks out for his uke BUT has little control of himself when they're having sex or he's pent up. This works really well for a seme who's younger than his uke because suddenly his "childish" colors show and the older uke now has to take lead of the situation. A "wolf in sheep's skin", in summary.

ohhhh I completely agree with that! I love that whole "gentleman in the streets but a freak in the sheets" kind of thing XD The whole concept of the older uke too is so delicious and lovely too! There's a certain type of affection that goes into an older uke trying to teach a younger seme. It tends to be such a delicate and sweet thing. Oh~ I do love it! I actually did read a manga similar to that concept not too long ago. The name leaves me, but I'll look into it and get it back to you! Honestly, if you have manga like that up your sleeve I'd love to check them out ^_^

Yes, you totally get it! And it doesn't even have to be always the slutty type of "let senpai/sensei/niichan take care of you..." you know, just the simple but sweet "I'll help you out so don't worry" kind of lead from the older uke is just so... I dunno, oozes maturity and I really like how it reminds the reader/audience that he is still the older one despite letting his seme take the lead majority of the time. Younger semes who become frantic/clumsy trying to look cool (but end up being such a beast either way) during smutty moments are sooo cute! I wasn't actually thinking of a specific manga when I mentioned this, just that I'm writing my own story (BL, of course!) and my main couple is just like this and I really ship them~! I'm a doting mama, I guess, haha. Do tell me if you find that manga cuz I'm pumped about reading it!

Yes, exactly!! I love that affection and maturity that comes from this type of relationship. The older uke definitely would just ooze maturity, and it also helps the point that not all ukes are this stereotype/stigma that they've become. Just because you like to submit in one way doesn't mean that you are generally a submissive person. Ukes are just as strong, powerful, and mature as the stereotypical seme. Basically, I love the difference of tropes. I like when people switch things and alters things and doesn't just accept these conventional norms. I suppose I'm going off on another tangent aren't I?? Off I go XD How cute that your couple is like that! I'm sure they're really dynamic and interesting ^_^ I do hope you'll share some day!

I'll definitely try to think of that manga title! Admittedly, I've been going through more yaoi manga this year than most other years. There's a lot out there to read!

• 1 month later...

I love dorky semes like in a lot of Saika Kunieda's works. ^^

I forgot, I really love super supportive boyfriends as well. i know it's not a manga but Yuri and Viktors relationship in Yuri on Ice is so cute, Viktor just wants Yuri to be his best self and he's determind to help him do that!

Omegaverse. A huge fans of it.

I love the idea of family building made possible for gay couples. Tadaima Okaeri and Kashikomarimashita Destiny are great examples. But as of late I see less family building and more plot just to bully omegas for the angst. My vanilla heart can't take it, man.... :")))