The Carnival of Mirrors (Joyabe)

Rumpleteaser

You there, yes you!

Your stockings are wrinkled and do I detect the stench of unbrushed teeth? You're supposed to be a world class circus performer, not a hideous morning-after surprise. Get going! The show is about to start. And by God help me if I see your stocking slouching again. I'll have you on pack-up and mucking-out duty for longer than you can hold that fake smile plastered across your face.

Performers, really! You can't take your eyes off them.

Ahem. Where was I?

Ah yes, welcome to the Carnival of Mirrors. Be amazed at our Maze of Mirrors, quake in fear of our haunted Bus of Horrors and taste tantalising treats down Appetising Alley.

I should be telling you that the circus is surrounded by towering walls, which are painted in carnival themes and posters of our performers and stalls. As they pass through the giant doors they must make their way through the Hall of Mirrors before venturing onto the Common Grounds, where they will see the latest in roving performers. From there they may peruse our Appetising Alley or Games and Souvenirs Walkway. In the centre of the grounds is the Big Top, sided by the Sideshow Street where they may see our freaks, oddities and the Smaller Stage.

You didn't come to me for that, did you? You're far more important than a mere punter. Oh no, no no no. I'm going to tell you what really happens in the Carnival of Mirrors.

The truth is, I don't control the circus. The circus controls me. It talks to me through a mirror I hide in my van. It isn't a fancy mirror. Any old mirror would do but when I look upon my face, it speaks to me, it threatens me, it entices me to push my men and women beyond the barriers of reality. Together, we make the Carnival of Mirrors what it is.

I'm not a bad man, I'm just a man forced by situation to look like a bad man. I'm really quite the coward when it comes to the circus and its... persona. I only act angry because it makes them respect me, makes them think it's me urging them to perform. They cannot know the truth of the circus or how I'm bound to it. It must never be known.

Each and every one of us is bound to the circus for as long as my family has been in this business. The story goes that my Grandpappy, four generations skipped, died of leukaemia. It was horrid. The man fought with death for many months, sending orders to his son until finally, one day, he was met with Death. The man refused to sip from Death's cup, tricking the entity by binding himself to the circus. So long as the man is bound to the circus he cannot die. Instead, he grows in power with every new town, every performance and every new building acquired by us. He won't let us go, he won't let us be and for the most part, we don't want him to.

The circus is kind to us. It helps us hide our disfigurements. It makes us the best we can be. It gives us a place to belong, a family as it were. It finds us places to perform. It brings in money for food and gives us a roofs over our heads. Many of our members go happy and unaware that anything untoward is happening. They enjoy their time in the circus. The only time it gets mad is when we disobey its desires.

Then it gets cruel.

If any one of my crew or performers dare escape, refuse to perform or break the mirror through which it speaks to me, it gets angry. Things start to happen to the culprit. They get injured, their powers revert on them, people revile them, fear stirs in their heart or something - anything - draws them back in supplication. Alas, the Carnival of Mirrors is a master of manipulation. It knows how to make the others blame me - and I let them.

I do not dare tell anyone but you my secrets. The performers don't know, the backstage crew don't know and the punters don't know. The new recruits don't even get that. They are not allowed to speak to my crew until they have agreed to join, then the circus takes control of their lives. Sure, they may go about their lives oblivious but it still ensnares them with it's greedy genius.

Sometimes I wonder - though I'd never tell - perhaps it's time for us all to leave the circus to meet Death once more.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rumpleteaser

• Joyabe

Newbie (MC)

13dd240abb36cc30.jpg

Name: Delaine Roux

Height: 5'6"

Sexuality: Gay, seke, prefers to be bottom

Likes: Performing, talking to people, laughter for the sake of laughter, rain, chalk art, exciting music, spicy foods, hot meals, chilli hot chocolate, caramel, butterscotch vodka, kinky sex, rape fantasies, BDSM, foreplay/roleplay, anal plugs, sex toys, costumes during sex, women's perfume, cologne, aromatherapy, massage, nighttime

Dislikes: Violence, aggressive people, salty foods, cold meals like salad, soup (WTF! Vegetables boiled in water?! Gross!), hot weather, waking up before midday, breaking his glasses

Personality: When he's not performing, Delaine is a fairly casual guy. He seems fairly calm but when he's in the mood, he can become quite the hell raiser. He'll often act cute and innocent until he gets to know a person. He's friendly enough and occasionally gets himself into trouble with his mischief. He likes to have fun, especially with friends. He doesn't get too drunk but it doesn't take much for him to be acting out. When he is performing (when he takes his Clack Kent glasses off and wears contacts), he's energetic, bold and in control. He easily lured in the crowd and knows how to work them.

Biography: Delaine Roux is an orphan. He grew up on the streets of Marseille, the second biggest city in France. His parents were a poor couple who died of pneumonia when he was about five years old. He was taken in by his uncle but often ran away due to the man's coarse nature. He wasn't violent to Delaine but he used to hit his wife and shout at the children a lot. Delaine was a very sensitive boy and sad over the loss of his parents. He spent a lot of time wondering the streets, watching street performers and getting up to mischief.

The turning point for Delaine was when the circus came to town when he was about eight years old. He sneaked into the circus tent and hid under the stalls to watch the show. It fascinated him. He loved the animals, the feats of strength and all the amazing things people could do with their bodies. He stared in amazement as people contorted their bodies, spun on wheels, climbed towers of chairs and flew through the air. From that moment on, he began practicing different moves. He was flexible enough and had excellent bodily-kinesthetic intelligence so eventually was able to build up enough of a repetoire to start performing on the street. It got him a bit of money for sweets, costumes and paint so he could decorate his body. They more he earned, the more he put into his shows. He eventually moved to Paris where there are more people and more money to be made. Now he has several outfits ranging from colourful lycra bodysuits to furry cat suits to baggy clown outfits. He doesn't have a job but his street performances give him enough to survive.

Ring master (NPC)

169.jpg

Name: Carlisle Thomas Hunt III

Height: 5'11"

Sexuality: Straight, dominant, top

Likes: Crisp performances, all sorts of pies, control, order, seeing the punters happy

Dislikes: Sloppy appearances, people who talk back, chaos among the punters, disorderly punters who cause a nuisance, drunks, getting puked on

Personality: Carlisle can be described as respectable, commanding, showing favouritism, sneering and patient. He is an upstanding person who has never been seen doing anything untoward. He does raise his voice sometimes but does not shout. Nobody would want him to shout. His raised voice is scary enough. It's like the voice of doom weighing down upon someone. he likes to think he likes all his carnies but in truth he favours some more than others. He is more lenient to some than others. To those who frustrate him or he doesn't like, he tends to sneer and look down upon them. He expects a lot from his people and always pushes them to perform at their best. He is patient when they make mistakes, so long as he can see they are trying their hardest and putting themselves to the test. New skills and new routines take work.

Biography: Carlisle was born into the circus. His mother was one of the late-night exotic dancers and his father was the previous ring leader. He followed his parents everywhere growing up and learnt by watching them and mimicking them. He had an excellent aptitude for the job, starting from an early age. His favourite shows to watch were the magic shows his father put on. He was fascinated by them and excited to know he would one day take on his father's powers. He was scared, nervous and excited at first when the time came to learn the truth behind his father's powers and the truth of the circus. He was slightly horrified by the idea of his ancestor living in the mirror and controlling everything that happened in the circus. He eventually grew accustomed to it and accepted the truth. He doesn't have a wife or children yet but he hasn't given up. He's still looking for someone to accompany him. The circus won't let him die without an heir.

Oddities collector (NJC)

9a5367efed230ed053ab00d978963014--anime-male-hot-anime.jpg

Name: Akito Mori

Height: 5'8"

Sexuality: Bisexual, seke, top and bottom

Likes: Cravings, finding new things to exhibit, getting leave to collect new things, miso soup, fish broth, noodle soup, street food, snacking, the colour teal, dramatic black and white stripes, hats, fascinators, happy music, carnies

Dislikes: Cravings, getting denied leave, cold weather, rain, snow, storms, lightning, muddy grounds, queues for the toilet, foul smells, dark places, people attacking his fellow carnies, people touching his stuff

Personality: Akito is obsessed with his treasures. They're the most important thing in the world to him, besides the carnival itself. He boxes them away in soft tissue paper and keeps them in immaculate condition so they'll last longer than he will. Luckily, Carlisle has a soft spot for him and allows him to collect as many oddities as he likes, so long as he he can convince the ring leader the object is worth it. Akito is the only person who's allowed out of the circus. He's granted this ability through a teal star tattoo on his left cheek.

The oddities collector is a suave, courteous man with a charming manner. He could coax the panties off any young lady (or gentleman) if he wanted to. He has a few people in the circus he turns to when he gets the urge to make long, passionate love but draws the line at punters. He's not interested in them. He's not really interested in the punters at all, to be honest. He'd be just as happy if he and his collection never went on show but they need to pay their way. When he's not showing off his wares, he's often found with the set up crew or helping backstage. On occasion he takes on the role of compère if Carlisle is busy or has other affairs to attend to. He's not the second in charge though.

Biography:As a little babe, Akito was trapped in a house fire and burned horribly. The scars cover his head, arms and the front of his torso down to his belly button. However, the same magic controlling the circus also hides his scars. His family were disgusted with the way he looked and kept him covered at all times until finally they could not stand the site of him any more. He was discarded and found by chance by the previous ring leader. The ring leader took him in and fostered him as his own, alongside his own son, Carlisle. The two were as close as brothers and Akito sees the carnies as his extended family.

Conjurer/contortionist/tightrope walker (NJC)

fifiedited-2.jpg

Name: Fiona Foolsfoot

Height: 5'6"

Sexuality: Unknown, dominant, top

Likes: Being left alone, quiet places, drinking, trying to read, fresh fruit

Dislikes: Performing, furry outfits, revealing outfits, big hair and make up, being drunk, drunkards, sexual advances, punters, people in her face, Carlisle, the carnival, Village Idiots, fatty foods, junk foods

Personality: Fiona can be described as stubborn, distrustful, untrustworthy, tempestuous, uncouth. She is very "survival orientated",, meaning she cares for herself first and foremost/ She gets in to a foul mood when things don't go her way, which is most of the time. She has a massive chip on her shoulder about being stuck in the carnival and hates Carlisle with a passion. When she's in a foul temper, she tends to get violent too. She's had a lot of clashes and run ins with carnies and punters. She does have her good moments but they're few and far between. The best time to get her is when she's been given time off from performing. She's generally more tolerant of children too.

Biography: Fiona's official title is "the Female Son of a Village Idiot". Village Idiots are a group of tight-kit people who have a specific type of power that's quite unlike magic. It's the power to create circus arts. They train for all of their school life at the Village Idiot's Academy and are released into the circus world upon graduation. Fiona is the very first and only female Village Idiot. Their powers usually mean only male sperm is viable but Fiona's father, Johnitheen, was so idiotic that he mistakenly let out a female sperm. At first it was believed their must be some mistake, so the Village Idiot's Association waited for the second child to be born before making their decision. It turned out Fiona's little brother, Johnathan, had frire magic so he could not possibly be a Village Idiot. Besides, Fiona had all the makings of a Village Idiot. By three years old she was already making small puppet performances about characters such as "Pappa Poo Poo".

Fiona went to the Village Idiots Academy just like any other boy and was able to hold her own until puberty. That was when she started to develop breasts. They weren't that big but they were noticeable by the boys she studied with. She started to be noticed for all the wrong reasons and had a lot to put up with. She ended up hating it all - men, the academy and Village Idiots. Once she graduated, she was off. She left. She'd been on the run for a coup of years before she was caught by the current ring leader. Carlisle did a deal with the Village Idiots - he'd hire her and keep her under control and they wouldn't have to deal with her. They come by the carnival every now and then to check up on her but she doesn't want a bar of them.

Trapeze Artist (MC)

80315edd4d00f2515462502538dc3a9a.jpg

Name: Alexander Caldwell (will also respond to Alex, Alec and Alechko)

Height: 5'7

Sexuality: Gay, uke

Likes: Animals, cold weather, food (any type of it really), nighttime, classical music, reading, the smell of coffee, art, kind people (although he tends to appreciate them from afar).

Dislikes: big crowds, pushy people, needles (how else would he escape over a decade in a circus without a single piercing or tattoo), being late, being labeled as a misanthrope (he doesn't hate other people he just finds it difficult to connect with them).

Personality: Alex is a bit of a loner. It might stem from the fact he always felt like he was having a hard time experiencing emotions like other people, and an even harder time expressing them. Although a performer in profession, he hates large crowds and being in one can make him highly uncomfortable. He has no malice when talking to people, and does have a few close friends with which he does act friendlier. The only times he loses his cool is when his emotions do get out of hand or when he finds himself feeling strongly about something yet unable to express those emotions. Despite his somewhat aloof demeanor, he's actually a hard working person (he just prefers working alone) and takes what he does very seriously.

Bio: The first 10 years of his life were pretty much as normal as it gets. He had a father, mother, and older brother and his then short life was quite uneventful. That all changed, however, when his family got into a fatal car crash, with him being the only survivor. He can't remember much of the accident itself, but the days that followed are still painfully clear. He can still remember the nurses talking about "a miracle" and the doctors throwing terms like "low muscle tonus" and "hyperextension of the joints" to explain the fact that not only did he survive the accident, but came out of it almost unharmed. He didn't particularly care for the social worker that whispered "sociopath" and "needs a psychiatric evaluation" to the medical team. Just because he wasn't crying or throwing a tantrum over his family's death didn't mean he wasn't sad. It all just seemed to unreal, and crying wouldn't bring them back, would it?

When a strange man came one day and told him that he was told to get him, he didn't think too much before following him- he certainly didn't have any intention of staying in that hospital to have some more tests run on him. Before he knew it he found himself in the circus that soon became his home. At the beginning they had him try different things, but soon enough it was clear that he couldn't do anything up close to a crowd- no matter how hard his mentors tried, they just couldn't get him to emote. Surprisingly, when it came to trapeze Alex seemed to have some natural talent, his flexibility definitely a big part of it, and his lack of emotion fitted perfectly in contrast to the daring act. At the mere age of 14 he was already performing, and almost a decade later it seemed he haven't passed his prime yet.

The free time he has he spends in his caravan, which he shares with the Roshan, the snake charmer (he's the only person that doesn't mind the reptiles), or wandering around the more distant, less populated areas of the circus.

Snake Charmer

dd2785b6cae7f1f0141d9b0e7b1ee636.jpg

Name: Roshan Dacre

Height: 5'10

Sexuality: Bisexual, dominant, seke

Likes: his reptiles (his favorites get commemorated in tattoos), expensive alcohol, toying with people (both sexually and non-sexually), a healthy amount of violence in every aspect of his life, thrills, jewelry

Dislikes: children, anything "cutesy", waking up early, food or weather that are too hot or too cold, being told what to do.

Personality: Roshan is a bit of a character, seeing that he always puts his reptails first (some will call it an unhealthy obsession, he claims it's paternal instincts- the only ones he would ever have thank you very much). He's notorious for sleeping around, but prefers limiting his encounters to people he knows he won't meet again or those that won't nag him- he really can't stand clingy people. For him people are a tool to fill his own needs, and so his (voluntarily) interactions with them will always be strategically calculated.

Bio: Always one to seek adventures, Roshan left home on a whim one day when the circus came to his hometown. Pestering Carlisle until he agreed, he was able to join the sideshow (he was far too unreliable to work the big top) and soon found himself fascinated with reptiles, especially snakes. The fact that there was something a little creepy about him only added to his show, and his charm seemed to be limited not only to snakes, but to people too (when he puts his mind to it). Fortunately, he does find giving people chills enjoyable, and so his work is more like a hobby- meaning he would usually do it.

Bearded Lady

0d0803d57ce91b9737e081b62ce62a0a.jpg

Name: Tatiana Strudwick

Height: 5'9

Sexuality: Straight, dominant

Likes: Drinking, arguing (she's always right. Don't even try.), spicy food, good jokes, cats, hardworking people

Dislikes: sweets, lazy people, small dogs, two-faced people, mess.

Personality: The most stereotypical Russian part about Tatiana would be her work ethic. She will not tolerate lazy, sloppy, or half-assed work, and does not have time for excuses. Nonetheless, she does have a soft spot for the people she cares about (although she would never show it in an emotional way) and she takes pride in their success just as she takes in her own. She also takes a lot of pride in her beard, and never once looked at herself as a freak.

Bio: With no father and an abusive mother, Tatiana took her baby brother away from home, through a lot of snow, and snuck her way together with him into the circus. Even at 6 years of age, she was independent and opinionated, and didn't shy away from hard work. Around a decade later, when her beard came to be, she actually saw it as an opportunity- life have provided her a tool she could use to work, and she'll be damned if she wouldn't use it. Although she never told him that, she was always very proud of her brother that found his own path in the circus, one that, unlike her, he didn't have a specific "natural gift" to lead him in its direction. After a lot of pleading from her brother and some very stern rules placed, she also kept an eye on Alex's progress when he joined the circus.

Strongman

500989b5885fb41fad8356f85e850a65.jpg

Name: Vladimir (Vova) Strudwick

Height: 6'4

Sexuality: Straight

Likes: Drinking, anything competitive, children, tattoos, his sister and the people he considers family, dogs, music, spicy food, talking to people, cooking

Dislikes: Rainy days, pessimistic people, being constrained to one spot, having to concentrate for long periods of time

Personality: Vova is very family-oriented, and despite his menacing appearance is quite soft at heart. He tends to see the good in people and in situations, and like every good cold-blooded Russian would never say no to a drink-off. He's also very energetic and can't stay still for long.

Bio: Vova doesn’t remember how he got to the circus, only that his sister, Tatiana, was the one who brought them there- when they were only five and six years old, respectively. They were raised by the sideshow performers and amazingly enough both fitted there quite well when they grew up. Years later, when Alexander joined the circus, they took him under their wings (very much under Vova's influence), with Vova taking the more maternal role while his sister was the disciplinary. To this day, they seem to be the people closest to him in the circus.

Carnival Grounds

Carnivalmap2.jpg

Not to scale.

LEGEND

Purple: Maze of Mirrors

Blue: toilets or showers

Orange: public fire pits

Red cross: medic's tent

Red and yellow square: Smallstage

Grey: Bus of Horrors

Brown: Carlisle's coach

Common Ground: public fires, public toilets, medic tent, seating

Backstage: spare equipment, extra costumes, practice area

Appetising Alley: food stalls, eateries, cafes, milkshake vans, popcorn vendors

Games and Souvenirs Walkway: stalls, many public toilets and urinal (females decorated by Fiona, males have squirting toilet)

Sideshow Street: Carlisle's coach, Smallstage, Bus of Horrors, kissing booth, dissing booth, oddities tent

Tent City: staff bathrooms, tents, caravans, living areas, camp fires

Delaine Roux tapped his fingers on his golden leggings while he looked around the grounds of the Carnival of Mirrors with wide eyes. He was like a kid in a candy store, not knowing what to look at and try first. It was night but all the pit fires were lit, there were strings of coloured paper lanterns all along the fence lines, people had glow sticks everywhere and there were fire twirlers roving about the grounds. It was plenty enough light to see the magnificent sights by. And boy were they magnificent! Everywhere there were people in stilts who were dressed up as dryads or man-eating giants. There were people blowing impossibly large and intricate bubbles, people running around as goblins trying to catch people with a teddy bear on a fishing pole, troupes of mines, dancers in scanty clothing, balloon artists, people dressed up as animals who got way too close for comfort and all sorts of musicians on strange instruments they'd built themselves. Delaine loved it all and couldn't get enough of it. It was just too bad his camera didn't work in low light.

'It's amazing! We haven't even made it to the Big Top yet!' Delaine exclaimed as a furry dog man started sniffing his butt. He laughed a little and batted the man away before looking back at Akito.

'I'm glad you chose to visit us. I'd say take a look around but our ring master is waiting for you,' Akito replied, his voice a soft purr.

'What's he like?' Delaine asked.

'He's a lot of things, depending on his mood. He'll be very busy with directing the Big Top so he'll be alive with energy and very focused,' Akito said simply. He thought a moment and continued. 'He's commanding. He demands respect and expects people to follow orders. He's very powerful too, so be sure you don't get on his dark side.'

'Powerful? Dark side? What do you mean?' Delaine asked, sounding more curious than concerned.

'You'll see what I mean when you join us - if you choose to join us.'

'I like what I see so far,' Delaine replied. Akito just chuckled.

The pair made their way around Sideshow Street to the backstage area where there were lines of costumes, performers stretching, troupes practicing their routines and all sorts of props ready to be used. Carlisle was currently at the back of the Big Top, watching the current performance of the Russian Wheel. Akito cleared his throat as he approached and Carlisle looked over. Delaine took a deep breathe, almost a gasp, as he saw the man standing before him. It was just like he'd imagined! Carlisle even had a cane and perfectly trimmed facial hair.

'Ah, you must be the street performer,' he greeted, taking off his top hat. 'I see you've dressed for the occasion.'

'Yes. Delaine Roux at your service,' he said. 'Ha ha! Yeah, I just got off work myself.'

'What exactly do you do? Akito told me about you but I'd like to hear more,' Carlisle said.

Akito stood around idly looking around as the pair spoke for the next five minutes. After that Carlisle had to go get the next act on stage. He excused himself and walked out into the Big Top, his voice booming over the loud speaker. His last instruction before leaving had been for Akito to take Delaine to Alexander, since his show had finished for the evening and he'd been around long enough to show the newcomer the ropes. Akito was then to go back to the oddities tent and continue his work.

'This way, if you'll please,' Akito said, giving a flourish.

Akito hooked Delaine by the arm and began to lead him around like a school girl. Delaine didn't mind that much because it gave him a chance to look around without having to worry about where he was going. It took longer than expected to find Alexander because he had no place he needed to be. His work was finished for the day and he could enjoy all the carnival had to offer.

'Ah! Alexander! This is where you've holed up. I have a job for you, direct from Carlisle himself,' Akito called when he finally spotted the man. 'You're to take care of Delaine here until the end of the night then take him back to Carlisle. Do you think you can manage that? What am I saying, of course you can!'

"Good show today" one of the younglings that Carlisle took in a few weeks ago- he couldn't remember her name for the life of him- smiled at Alex as she handed him a towel. Of course it was, he thought, only nodding in reply before taking the offered item, it was his job after all. Wouldn't it be bad if the show wasn’t good?

Behind him he could hear the cheers from the crowd slowly dying, making way for loud laughter instead. It was probably the clowns, or something more relaxed, he thought as he made his way through the different performers chatting and getting ready for their shows. The crowd never laughed during his show- which made sense since it wasn't his job to make people laugh. Gasping, clapping, cheering- those were the responses he had to evoke in his audience, and it seemed tonight he was able to fulfill this mission successfully once again.

Leaving the big top behind him, Alex made a B line towards the tent city. While he had no choice but to do his warm up in the backstage area, once his show was done he was dismissed and, thankfully, able to do his cool down wherever he chose. And backstage would certainly not be his first choice. It was always way too busy and noisy, filled with performers hyping themselves before they went on stage, or full of adrenaline after they just got off it. He would pass on staying in that mayhem of a place even a second longer than necessary.

The tent city, however, was blissfully quiet, even more so than usual now that most of its habitants were off working. As he made his way to his own accommodation, which was located at the outskirts of the circus, in accordance with the request of its tenants, he didn’t come across not even a single person. Well, that’s to be expected. Carlisle would probably have their heads if he saw any of his people slacking off when the circus was open.

Breathing in and filling his lungs with the night's air he finally let it out in a loud exhale, a small smile playing on his lips. Quiet moment like this were pretty rare in the circus, and he would be damned if he wouldn’t use it. He would stretch outside, he decided, and make the most of the blessed solitude he was able to find.

A few minutes later, however, when he was in the compromising position of having his right hand against the trailer for support and his left hooked around his left ankle, pulling it back towards his head, he was found. Hearing his name being called in a familiar voice, he turned his head, not easing the stretch in the slightest, only to spot Akito together with… someone he never saw before. Was he a guest? But he couldn't be. There was no way Akito would drag around some random passerby like that, was there? Besides, his eyes glided over the stranger's choice of clothes, he looked more like a performer than a guest. His outfit of choice stood out even more than Alex's. Although, in all fairness, black lycra pants, a white button-up that was anything but, and a pair of black suspenders wasn't exactly flashy.

"Hello Akito" he greeted him, finally letting go of his leg only to switch sides and stretch his right one. A job from Carlisle? That was rare. Usually the only things he really had to do was perform, and occasionally help with the training of a newcomer. That didn't seem to be the time to do any of those things. But, well, if Carlisle needed him to do something of course he would. His boss had always treated him fairly, so there was no real reason for him not to do as he was told.

However, upon hearing what was the job he was expected to do, he tilted his head questioningly, his brows raising just a tad. Carlisle wanted him to be a welcome wagon for a newcomer? Why? It was never something he did, and for a good reason. That reason being that Alex was never really… well, welcoming. Nevertheless, an order was an order. And, well, he was at least sure he could show the other around until Carlisle would be done with the show. He did know the place more or less inside out.

Finally straightening up to a normal standing position, he gave Akito a small confirmation nod. Not that it seemed like he was waiting for one, mind you. "Hello Delaine" he greeted the stranger "I'm Alexander, but most people call me Alex. I don't really mind which one you use". He was fully aware of the fact his greeting might have sounded a little strange, but he couldn't help it. Something about his speech pattern, especially when he wasn't feeling the most comfortable, was a little odd, but most people got used to it as they got used to him. Besides, if they stayed long enough for him to get used to them, his way of talking would usually turn more natural without him noticing.

"Wait here for a moment" he instructed, and, not really awaiting a reply, turned around and stepped into the caravan. After a quick change of clothes that made it look more like he was a visitor than a performer, he went back outside to join the other. "So… what is it that you do?" he ran his hand through his light locks. He was now positive beyond any shadow of a doubt that Delaine was a performer. What other reason there would be for Carlisle to meet him in person? Thing was, he wasn't really sure how to keep the other occupied until Carlisle would take him back. "Have you ever been to our carnival? Is there anything you want to see?" he asked, wondering if doing so was more out of consideration for the other, or just a way for him to make the task at hand easier.

'Excellent, darlings!' Akito said a tad too enthusiastically. 'Now that you've been introduced, you'll be the best of friends.'

Akito pushed Delaine closer towards Alexander and gave the newcomer a friendly clap on the back. Delaine got the feeling he was being a bit too friendly. Was there something wrong with Alexander he ought to know about? He seemed a little quiet but Delaine couldn't make out anything too horrible about him on first impression.

'Now don't do anything I'd do and stay inside the carnival,' he warned them both. He didn't have to say that to Alexander. Anyone who'd signed up knew it was impossible to leave.

With one final wave, Akito was off. His long legs strode a great distance in a short period of time. With Alex getting changed, Delaine was left standing in the cool night air in nothing but a lycra body suit. He shivered a little and wrapped his arms across his body as he looked around. So this is how carnies live? he thought to himself. Tent City was charming in its own way. It was relaxed and non-materialistic. People had what they needed and nothing more. They didn't have room to carry anything more. They went where the road took them too. One day Paris, the next Berlin.

'No, I haven't been here before,' Delaine answered. 'I've been to a few circuses before but this is much bigger. It seems to be geared more to adults too, at least the after dark entertainment.'

If Delaine had had pockets, he would have tucked his hands in them. He liked the cool weather and the breeze but he'd catch a cold if he didn't rug up soon. He couldn't wait to get a cup of something hot inside him too. Idly, he wondered whether they had chili hot cocoa here or just the overly sweet powdered stuff.

'I don't suppose you have a jacket you could borrow? I just got off work and have nothing to change into,' he asked politely. They looked about the same size. Alex was perhaps a little narrower in the hips and shoulders but they had about the same build and height.

'I'd like to get some food first. Is there someplace quiet we can go or is it only the food court? I'll get you something too if you want,' he offered. 'What do you feel like?'

"Hm…" was Alex's non-committed response to the other's answer. He wasn't sure what could he possibly say about it- he himself had never been to another circus and the comment about the entrainment was just stating the obvious. Not like he had a say about what kind of entertainment the place would offer anyway.

The request coming from Delaine pulled his attention to his outfit once again. Up until that point he only noted its esthetic qualities, not giving much thought to the function behind it. Of course, Delaine was right- it wasn't a very good idea for a performer, especially one that's using his body, which he assumed the other just might be, to walk around in such light clothing at night. He had made that mistake quite a few times in the past, seeing he didn't really mind the cold- and got to experience the not to pleasant consequences the next day. The more he thought about it, the more he realized that Delaine was certainly not properly dressed.

Problem was, he was right. He didn’t have that big of a wardrobe to chose from. He could maybe borrow something from Roshan… ah, but he wouldn't like it. Roshan didn't like strangers touching his things. And Alex certainly didn't want to wear Roshan's clothes- they were way off what he felt comfortable in. His eyes scanned his new acquaintance from head to toe in silence once more before he pulled his plain, black sweater over his head, revealing an equally plain and black t-shirt. "Wear this" he more instructed than offered as he pushed the item of clothing to the other's hands before going into his room once again, only to come out a moment later wearing a black and white checkered flannel over his shirt. That should be enough for him, and this way they'll both be able to stay warm.

As for food… well, he would usually eat with Vova and Tatiana (or more accurately- he would be fed by them), but right now they were working and he was in charge of taking care of Delaine right now. Besides, Alexander Caldwell would never say no to food. "We need go to the food court" he confirmed before heading in its direction, expecting the other to follow "you don't have to pay though, performers eat for free" he said, the gesture of kindness going straight over his head. "Let's get skewers" he said after a moment of thinking, his eyes lighting up. He couldn't deny the fact the after performing he was hungry- more than usual, that is.

"Where are you from Delaine?" he asked, trying his best to make conversation "what" although he was wondering more about the 'who' "brought you here?"

'What are you going to wear?' Delaine asked as he took the jacket. He didn't want to take the clothes off another man's back, literally speaking too. He didn't have to wait long for his answer though because Alex came back out of his caravan with another shirt. It probably wasn't as warm as the jacket though. Delaine appreciated the gesture. 'Thanks for the jacket. Are you sure you're going to be warm enough?'

'To the food court it is then,' he said. 'I'm guessing it's all the usual street food - pulled pork rolls, corn on the cob, German sausages and the like. Or are things different here?'

'I've never seen someone look so happy about food. The skewers must be good,' he said. Delaine had caught the light in Alex's eyes and smirked a little. He followed behind the other man and tucked his hands in the pockets, having nothing better to do with them. It would keep them warm too until he had a mug in his hands.

'I'm from Marseille originally but I moved to Paris for work. There's more people, bigger crowds and more money to be made,' he explained. 'How about you? I'm detecting a bit of an accent.'

Delaine glanced over at Alex as they walked, getting a good look at him in the carnival lights. His appearance was quite quiet and soft, like a pillow almost. He had soft hair and eyes that contrasted with the darker colours of his clothing. There was nothing unpleasant about him but nothing particularly pleasant about him either. He seemed like the type to easily fade into the background and be forgotten. Delaine wondered how a person like that managed to become a performer. Maybe he was like a clown with depression, his act became the other half of his personality.

'What's your act, Alex?' Delaine asked, curious.

The back end of Appetising Alley was just past the main toilet block. It was essentially a long, wide walkway with food stalls lined either side. Delaine looked around at each of the stalls, trying to get a better view through the mass of punters queuing up for food. He wondered if they would have to wait in line or whether performers got special privileges there too. He would take Alex's lead as to whether they slipped behind the stalls to sneak some food. He'd probably be taking Alex's lead on a lot of things until he understood how things worked around the Carnival of Mirrors.

'Where's the best place for a hot chocolate?' Delaine asked. 'If I make it in, I'll have to make you some of my home recipe - the hard stuff with cinnamon liqueur.'

Although only providing a nod- his preferred method of communication- to reassure the other the clothes weren't an issue, there were some things he couldn't really convey without words. Besides, and strengely enough, when he was embarassed- which he was after Delaine discovered, quite early on, his slightly enthusiastic feelings towards food- he had the habit of talking more than usual. "They are. But I mean, other things are good as well. I think we have pretty much anything you said... Oh, we also have things like popcorn and cotton candy if you want something lighter" he babbled on, hoping the simple massege he was trying to deliver- we can get anything you want to eat- would somehow go through.

He turned his eyes to look at Delaine when he spoke again as they walked, reminding himself once again that he was already a performer. Due to his own circumstences, he had the tendency to forget that most people Carlisle recrutied already had some kind of background to them- it was he that was the odd one out. Still, in his case it seemed to work for the best. Not like he had any complaints. "Well..." he thought for a moment when he was asked about his home town "My family was from Oxford, but I've been with Carlisle for a long time so I guess I'm a little from everywhere?". He was about to ask what it was that Delaine was doing as an act, but it seemed he beat him to the question "ah" he couldn't help the small surprised sound that left his lips as his own (theoretical) question was directed at him "Mostly Trapeze. Sometimes arial silk if Carlisle asks for it. What about you?" he shifted his gaze back and forth between his companion and the carnival, now that they were nearing the Appetising Alley.

"Hmm..." he mused as he scanned their destination, now that they finally got to it. The smell of food in the air was making him even more aware of his own hunger, but he wondered whether it was doing the same for Delaine. Some people found the combination of cheap street food and the light yet unaviodable smell of dirt and hay slightly unappetizing. Personaly, he found the abundence of people there much more disturbing- how can anyone eat with so much noise? But, well, Delaine did say he was hungry, and this was the only option. They would just have to be quick- just in case Delaine found the environment unpleasant.

His eyes glanced back at Delaine before he reached to lightly grab him by the wrist "come" he said as he gently tugged him along as he made his way through the back of the different stalls."Well, we usually make hot drinks on our own, so I guess you'll do it in your tent" he said as his eyes looked for the familiar stall, the kind offer going unnoticed yet again.

It wasn't specially hard to find the stall he was looking for- they rarely changed the order in which they were lined. "Ah, Vova's boy!" Roman, the heavily mustched man that operated the specific stand he was looking for greeted them "are you here to eat?" he asked, recieving a positive nod from Alex. "Wait here a minute, we'll get some food into you two" he gave them a wide smile before dissapearing for a few moments, only to return with two plates full of meat, pita bread and some side dishes "you two need to get some meat on your bones. Eat everything" he told them before dissapearing once again to return to his customers.

Alex was more than willing to get out of there and eat peacfully somewhere quiet, but he didn't want to be completly inconciderate of Delaine. "Is there anything else you want?" he asked as he turned to look at him "We can get anything you choose".

• 1 month later...

'Ha ha!' Delaine replied. 'Trust me, you do not want to see me on sugar... or maybe you do. Last time I had too much sugar I tried fire staff and ended up singeing off my own pubes while trying to toss the thing up between my legs. The stupid thing was I didn't even try it with a normal staff first.'

The brunette tugged on his borrowed jacket a little and shook his legs to warm them up. Perhaps later in the night he'd duck out to his car and grab something warmer on. There was bound to be time before he had to meet Carlisle. On the other hand, maybe the ring master would want him to do a show in his full uniform.

'How long have you been here?' Delaine asked, curious. Alexander couldn't be that old but maybe he'd been there since he was a child. Was Alexander a run away? Did the carnival even take kids? That was a whole level of creepy Delaine didn't want tot think about.

'Nice! Arial silks! I've never had the chance to have a go at them before. You'll have to show me a few moves,' Delaine said, sounding mildly excited. He hadn't seen them up close either, at least not close enough to get a good look. He'd have to watch Alexander practicing at some stage. 'Mostly I'm a street performer - balancing acts, fire, contortion, juggling, slight of hand. Whatever brings in the money.'

Delaine broke off the conversation when they got to Appetising Alley. He took a deep breath and his eyes seemed to dart everywhere. He wanted to take it all in at once - the sounds, the smells and the plates of food everyone was carrying. It had to be the biggest food court he'd even been in! The only complaint he could really make was that there wasn't enough seating in this part of the carnival grounds. One had to go the the Common Ground to eat their food.

It wasn't until Alexander grabbed him by the wrist that Delaine took any notice of where they were going. He guessed he had been wandering around in a daze too much. Carnivals had that effect on him. He was sure it would wear off once he'd been accepted as one of the performers.

'"Vova'a boy"? Are your parents here too?' Delaine asked curiously.

Huh, neat. Greek food. That was a nice change from hotdogs and chips. Delaine accepted the food with a friendly look and studied the plate in front of him. It looked good enough to make his stomach growl. He picked up his little wooden fork and took a bite of one of the sides. It tasted good too!

'Where does the best hot chocolate?' Delaine asked. 'After that I guess we can find somewhere to sit and eat. I wouldn't mind sitting in the Common Ground and watching the roving entertainment. I saw a few neat acts on my way in. That is, of course, unless you'd prefer to go somewhere else and eat.'

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.

Alex couldn't help thinking that Delaine sure was an odd one. Actually, that wasn't true, he argued with himself. It's not like he was unkind or that there was something especially strange about him. He seemed pretty much as normal as they get, simply energetic. You know, like a performer ought to be. Funny how even after so long living with pretty much only performers, the ability to remain high-energy and talkative was still something he perceived as special. And, well, the fire staff story did sound funny. At least in hind-sight.

"Hmm.. about thirteen years" he answered absentmindedly "But I only started performing when I was fourteen, so I guess I'm only performing nine years". The question got him wondering how long had Delaine been performing. It sounded as if he had some experience, if you don't count twirling staffs that is, but he didn't seem like someone used to the circus, so he wondered where exactly was he performing. It also got him wondering just how old Delaine was. He didn't seem too far off from his own age, but he didn't dare ask him. Tatiana would give him a good long loud lecture if he would dare ask something so rude when he's supposed to show the other around.

His next comment had Alex scanning him from head to tow once again. Aerial silk was a little more complicated than trapeze, but from the short resume Delaine just gave him he was pretty sure he'll be able to at least pull off the basics if he tried. He also didn't seem too heavy... maybe a little wider than himself, but nothing that would prevent him from staying off the ground. It didn't seem like Carlisle had him over there for aerial acts though, so he probably wouldn't ask him to teach him. Not to mention it wasn't something they pulled out too often... it was mostly in use when he didn't have a partner to perform with or when Carlise was putting a darker program together. It was a shame, seeing Alex actually kinda liked it. But... too much of a good thing or something like that he supposed.

"Hm? No, my parents are dead" Alex gave a more than straightforward reply. He didn't sound sad or upset. That just was how things were. Not batting an eye before moving on, he thought about the other's question for a moment. He couldn't exactly describe the hot chocolate in the food court as the best seeing it was the only one, plus he didn't think it was exceptionally good, but that was all they had at the moment. "Wait here a sec" he instructed as he gave Delaine his own plate before disappearing, only to return a few minutes later with two paper cups covered with lids. "Let's go eat" he tilted his head, motioning Delaine to follow him. Now that he spent a little while in the food court, surrounded by everything it had to offer, he went from hungry to starving.

The Common Ground actually seemed like a good enough compromise as a place to eat in. Being the loner he was, Alex usually preferred eating with as little people as possible, which usually consisted of Vova, Tatiana and whomever joined them at their tent that evening. But seeing he was to show Delaine around, and seeing he seemed like a kid in a candy shop, it didn't feel fair to just drag him back to that ghost town. He wouldn't be fulfilling the task he was given if he did. Besides, the Common Grounds weren't probably that bad, now that the shows in the Big Top were going on, so it probably wouldn't be too busy.

The ease with which he found them an empty bench when they got to the Common Ground seemed to verify that assumption. Sitting down, it took him no longer than a second to start digging into his food. "Have you met with Carlisle before?" he asked in between bites, wondering just how much did Delaine know. Not that he knew too much himself even after that ling, but there were still some eyebrow-raising details about the Carnival outsiders didn't know and probably didn't imagine. The brief conversation, if you could call it a conversation, about his parents earlier brought another thought to his mind. "What does your family think about you joining the circus?". Alex couldn't help but wonder if Delaine knew just how demanding and binding working there was... and how would he and his family feel if they did. That was certainly not a commitment everyone were wiling to make.

'That'd make you... twenty-three? Have you been doing trapeze all that time or did you start with something else?' Delaine asked, mostly to make conversation. He didn't mind Alex but couldn't get much of a feel from him. He seemed a little quiet, perhaps prone to keeping his own company but he didn't seem like a loner either. It seemed like he had a few friends in the carnival, including Vova. 'Did you do any work here before you started performing?'

Delaine actually flushed when he noticed the other man scanning him. Other than the borrowed jacket, he was well aware that he was wearing a skin-tight costume that left nothing to the imagination. The street performer wasn't muscular or naturally bulky. He had a lean build and every ounce of muscle was well earned. He was better at flexibility than weight lifting. Sometimes Delaine stood in front of the mirror, flexing and wishing he could bulk up just a bit. It wasn't that he was scrawny. He got enough attention from young men and women when he was performing who were simply there to admire his body and he knew it too.

'Ah,' the brunette replied. He didn't push the issue, though it didn't seem to upset the man. 'Then Vova is...?'

The street performer took the two plates and waited patiently. His stomach growled at the scent of food and he considered whether he should snack on a bit while he was waiting. Better not. He didn't want to be rude. Delaine nibbled his lip as he looked around at other people's food. The place was like a multicultural street food market of the highest order. Sure, it had the normal carnival food but it was bigger than that. One could join the Carnival of Mirrors just for the food. Luckily Delaine had a fast metabolism, otherwise he'd get fat sampling all the food there! He'd never had so much choice for food in his life!

'I met him only half an hour ago. It was Akito Mori who approached me. He watched me perform a few times before approaching me three days ago. He's very... charismatic and charming. He needn't have tried so hard to convince me,' Delaine said, then laughed out loud. 'Honestly! There isn't much I wouldn't do to get signed up by a circus. I think he sensed that about me too.'

Alexander's next question had Delaine exhaling the longest and heaviest sigh in existence. He would have run his hand through his hair if he wasn't holding the two plates of food. He sat down and handed the second plate to Alexander then reached out to take the hot chocolate.

'My aunt and uncle don't think much of me, I'm afraid. I was only ever a dead weight to them. It goes both ways though. I never liked my uncle. Water is thicker than blood in our case. I haven't been back to Marseille since I was fourteen and I've never sent them a letter telling them how I am,' Delaine explained. He smiled cheerfully and looked over at Alexander. 'It's not all that tragic. I've had a better life than they could ever provide.'

"Mm-hm" Alex nodded in what was a positive response to the other's question "I... well I tried pretty much all of the things you do, but... it didn't really work" he gave a small apologetic smile. He still felt just the tiniest bit guilty about not being able to do those things back when he joined the circus. Well, it wasn't that he wasn't able to do them as much as he didn't do well when he needed to perform them. Maybe he was just a little jealous of Delaine. "It was mostly learning and practicing before I started... and a little grunt work here and there". Not that he really cared back then. It was a good way to keep his mind busy and his body tired so he could fall asleep easily at night.

"Vova is..." he stopped for a moment, eyebrows pushing together as he tried finding the right word. "He also works here. He's... a friend" it seemed the small smile on his lips expressed the nature of their relationship better than the overused and simplistic term he chose "I think he'll like you" he added, more an observation than an attempt at a compliment. Truthfully, Vova was nice to pretty much anybody. But he seemed to have a predisposition to like people that were friendly and kind, very much like he was. It just seemed like his' and Delaine's energies would match well.

Alex listened quietly to the other's answer, eyes trained on the ground as he did. Somewhere in the back of his mind he registered how strangely easy it was to keep a conversation flowing with Delaine. Granted, he wasn't the one actually responsible for such magic, but the fact Delaine was able to make him actually take an active part in the conversation was a little miracle in its own.

The way Delaine was talking about Akito made him lift his eyes to look at his face. Surely, he wouldn't dare lay his hands on a potential carnie, would he? Although, that probably wouldn't stop Delaine from being charmed by him. He was contemplating whether he should say something, but the next words out of his companion's mouth seemed to convince him not to. Instead, a small chuckle left his lips. It seemed like Delaine was more infatuated with the carnival itself than with Akito. That was... refreshing.

That light mood however seemed to disappear completely when Delaine let out a sigh that seemed longer than his own stay with the circus. He didn't mean to step on such a landmine, he just tried to give his input (although who and when the hell was it was asked for?), to maybe help Delaine make a more thought-out decision. Instead he seemed to touch on a very sensitive subject. And it seemed that would not be the last needless comment he would make that night.

It was understandable why he he felt relieved at the end of the other's answer, even going as far as letting out a small sigh of relief. He was talking way more than he usually would. Problem with talking when you're not a talker is that you're more prone to have idiotic slip-ups like that one. Or the next comment that left his lips without a thought. "That's good" he smiled at Delaine, the expression only lasting a moment before it was completely erased by the shock of the realization of what he just said. The pink that appeared on his cheeks was easily detectable against his fair skin as he fumbled for the right words to fix that stupid mistake. "I mean... not the situation with your family. It's just better that way" still not great phrasing "I mean, easier. It would make your life easier. Your life here easier". And there was the reason Alex was not allowed to handle crowds from up-close. As graceful as he was when he was flying a few good feet up in the air, he was anything but when it came to close and personal interactions.

• 2 weeks later...

'Well, if you teach me aerial silks, I'll teach you fire staff. It's not as hard as people suspect. Aside from that one time I got over eager and used fire before practicing without it, I'm pretty good at it,' Delaine said with a friendly laugh. There was no reason to laugh, really, but he liked to laugh. He liked the sound of laughter. 'I'd imagine it would be hard to go to school if you're travelling all the time. Do they have a tutor with the carnival? Were there any other kids?'

Delaine saw the small smile on the other man's face and smiled in turn. He thought he'd like to meet Vova.

'What's he like? What does he do?' the brunette asked. He tilted his head and thought a moment. 'Do you think we can meet him after dinner... unless there's something you think you should show me first?'

Talking came naturally to Delaine. He was always relaxed and casual, open to almost any subject of conversation. It didn't occur to him that Alex was a quiet wallflower or loner. He seemed nice, though Delaine appreciated that he was probably just doing this because the ring leader asked him to. No doubt he had more interesting things to do than show around a potential newbie. Come to think of it, was there a pecking order in the Carnival of Mirrors? How were newbies treated. That made him wonder something.

'Is there an initiation or some way I have to prove myself to the other carnies?' he asked, pulling the borrowed jacket tighter around him. He took up his drink and rested his meal on his knees. He took a few sips and wrinkled his nose. It had the froth on it that he liked but it was obviously made from a super-sweet powder rather than real chocolate.

'Good?' Delaine asked, raising his eyebrows in surprise. He was puzzled about what could be good but it didn't take long for Alex to seemingly realise his mistake and explain himself. Delaine chuckled a little and wrapped an arm roughly around Alex's shoulders.

'Okay, I get what you mean. Yeah, it's good I have no attachments. I can be anywhere I like. That's why I came to Paris. I'll miss the Seine and watching the moon rise from the bridges but I have no reason to stay,' he said with a long sigh. 'I would have liked to make attachments with how long I've been there but I've never had more than a few one-night stands. It seems very few are interesting in hedging their bets with a dirty street performer.'

'How about you? Anyone special in your life?' he asked. Delaine took a bite of his meat then looked over at Alexander.

"There aren't really that many children" Alex explained "so there isn't really a need for a tutor. Some of the other people here just taught me some things" actually, it was mostly Taitiana that insisted he still needs to learn. Alex didn't really see the point in it, but she was determined and so she not only taught him herself, but also... recruited some of the other carnies to share some of their knowledge as well. Tatiana was not a woman many would dare say no to.

In fact, it was almost unbelievable she and Vova were siblings. "He's... very gentle" Alex said after a moment of thinking. Surely that was not the right word to use to paint a picture of Vova for someone who never met him before, but for him that was the most dominant and representative quality of the man. "He's working the sideshow street right now. I think by the time we'll finish it would be okay to go". Usually the Carnival got noticeably emptier after the shows in the big top were through so he could probably take Delaine to meet Vova without disturbing his work. "Actually that's a good idea. You need to see it anyway" he added after another moment.

It was a good thing Delaine was so enthusiastic about the circus. Since Alex wasn't much of a tour guide nor was he a great conversationalist, it was a good thing the other's interest seemed to cover for it. More than that- it didn't seem to be affected by Alex's somewhat lacking social skills.

"There isn't something... uniform" he said before continuing "but some people will probably try and test you out. And you'll probably be handed some of the tasks others don't want to or don't have the time to do" he gave the other the most accurate description of the hardships a new performer would go through. While he had more than enough credit to be able to belong either to the welcoming side of performers or the the initiation enthusiastic club, he didn't find any of the options especially appealing. Still, he felt like he should probably tell Delaine something more, a little bit of encouragement maybe. "I'm sure they wouldn't go too rough on you though. I don't think there's too much to do around here right now and I'm sure you'll be able to get along with the rest". That... that was encouragement right? He really wasn't used to this whole taking care of the newbies thing.

He sure felt relieved when Delaine didn't seem to take the things he said the wrong way. It was very easy for people to misunderstand Alex- and it was usually completely his fault. In fact, he was so relieved (and slightly guilt ridden) he didn't instinctively shook the arm that was wrapped around him. It's not like he hated being touched, but it always baffled him how people could so casually touch other people that they barely knew. Although as he listened to the other talk and stopped being so conscious about his arm he had to admit that maybe it wasn't so bad.

As they sat there eating their food, a small frown crossed his features at the way the other was talking about himself. "You're not dirty" he protested, not entirely sure why he felt the need to protect Delaine from his own self-criticism nor why did he chose to respond in such a literal way. "Me?" he asked in surprise, actually turning his head so he could fully face Delaine. That was another thing nobody that knew him had ever remotely thought to ask him. But then again, Delaine didn't know him. "No, nothing like that. It's too complicated with how we travel". Although nowhere as active as they were, Alex seemed to have taken a page from his fellow performer's book. When he felt like it, he would find a random partner, although he would rarely find someone that actually piqued his interest. He had never once considered getting involved with someone in the carnival- that was just way too messy.

• 5 months later...

'Who did you have to play with as a kid? Although, you seem more like the type to enjoy reading than running around playing tag,' Delaine said. He was assuming that Alex was the type because he had that quiet nature about him. It was likely Delaine was wrong though. He'd never really met any introverts before. 'What did you do for fun as a kid? What do you do for fun now?'

'Gentle?' Delaine asked, picturing someone much like Alex. Maybe a bit more mousy. Perhaps Vova was the animal charmer and liked being around animals more than people. An animal charmer could easily be at Sideshow Street, introducing the animals to people up close. Delaine would very much like to pat a tiger. He loved big cats in general but tigers were his favourite. The street artist smiled in a friendly manner as he looked over at the trapeze artist. 'I'd like that. I'd like to meet your friends... and anyone else you think I should know. Is there anyone you should warn me about? You know, people with attitudes or shifty hands? I don't want to get on someone's bad side before I even start!'

'Ah, that's good,' the brunette replied. 'I've been told horror stories by other groups about the Iron Chalice, where each member of the group puts something in the mug and the newbie has to drink it. One group that came to town spoke of a group paddling, ancient rites and vows too. They seemed way too serious.'

Delaine laughed happily and hugged the other man when he protested that the newcomer wasn't dirty.

'I know I'm not dirty. It's just how people see street performers. We're good to look at but not to touch. I had one woman right in front of me tell her child that street performers carry nasty diseases,' Delaine said, then shrugged. 'Water off a duck's back. So long as they pay me for my entertainment, I couldn't care less what they said.'

The twenty-five-year old let go of Alexander and held his plate properly so he could eat his meal. He picked at the side dishes a bit, tasting each one, before deciding the tomato went best with the meat. He dipped the meat in the sauce before topping it with tomato then plopped the whole gobbit in his mouth. He chewed it while Alexander spoke then swallowed all of it at once. It caused him to cough a little and he had to swallow a few more times before it finally made its way down. That'd teach him for wanting to talk and eat at once. Actually, it wouldn't teach him. He'd no doubt make the mistake again.

'That sounds reasonable,' the newbie agreed. 'I suppose if we weren't going to be working together for an indefinite amount of time, I'd be offering to warm your bed too... ... I mean... you know, in general, not me personally.'

Oh boy! He'd put his foot in his mouth. Delaine sucked on his lower lip and looked across the field as he thought of how to cover himself... all without completely rejecting any advances Alex might make before the thought had even been formed.

'I've never been in a group before but I can see what you mean by not wanting things to get messy. Most of the men who come to me want a little excitement but they're gone by the morning. I don't have to commit to them or face the scrutiny of other performers,' he explained. He grinned at Alexander and gave him a bit of a nudge with his elbow. 'Don't let that deter you though. You seem really nice and I'd love to get to know you. I really like your hair and face too. They're very soft - masculine but soft. I'd definitely kiss you if you asked me to.'

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.

It came as no surprise to Alex that Delaine figured out the type of child he was pretty much instantly. Usually people didn't need more than a few minutes with him to realize he was much more comfortable doing activities that involved as few people as possible. "I read" he nodded in conformation "and I practiced. I had a lot to learn." He was fully aware of the fact practicing wasn't what most people defined as "fun", but he really couldn't understand why. Now as well, but even more so when he was young, Alex found not only comfort but also joy in perfecting a difficult posture or trick. The challenge in itself as well as the satisfaction of conquering it were enough of an incentive to keep him busy for hours, enough so that it made Vova a little worried about him on more than one occasion.

It also meant it took him a while to get to know a lot of the other carnies, and even longer for them to like him. In fact, to this day, and even though he was with the circus for over a decade, there were still performers he didn't exchange anything more than a few polite greetings with. No matter how hard he tried, and to be honest he never tried too hard, Alex didn't manage to feel completely comfortable around the loud and self-centered performers. That was one of the reasons most of his friends were working the Sideshow Street right now rather than the big top with him.

That was also the reason he found it a little hard to answer Delaine's question about the people he should be aware of. Alex wasn't sure whether he was the right person to give judgment on that matter. "I don't know..." he finally said after thoroughly chewing the food he forked into him mouth while Delaine talked. "Some people here are a little suspicious towards new people, but if Carlisle chose you, you should be okay. If you'll be patient you'll be fine. Some of them just might take a little longer."

That sentence brought the very clear image of Roshan to his mind. He was probably bound to dislike Delaine with his cheerful attitude and friendly demeanor. But then again, he couldn't bring himself to say anything bad about him either. His roommate was a character alright, but Alex was quite fond of him. He certainly preferred him over some of the seemingly friendlier people in the carnival.

He sure sounded better than some of the people who came to watch Delaine. While he almost dropped his plate when he was hugged, for a change Alex was a little too shocked to worry about his precious food. Although partly due to the hug itself, it was mostly the poison some people seemed to spew without even noticing that had him rattled. It was a good thing Delaine didn't seem too bothered by it, but it still didn't make it anymore okay.

Alex was a little more worried about Delaine when he started coughing than when he told him about the nasty woman who came to watch him. Carlisle probably wouldn't like it if his newest possible recruit choked on his watch. He was about to give him a few good slaps on the back to make sure he could breath, but at his next words his hand froze halfway to him. It wasn't the first time someone came on to Alex with such a proposition, but there was a different air about this one. Something a little... warmer than the usual. Besides, with the other men that came on to him he was able to easily accept or reject their offer without fearing the consequences. With Delaine though, it was a little more complicated. Even if he found him handsome, which, now that he got a chance to get a better look at him, he did, he still didn't want to get involve with a potential colleague when he didn't really know him. He didn't want to reject him too though, seeing he didn't want to insult Delaine either. He actually kind of liked him- as much as Alex liked people he barely knew.

That and the next comment out of Delaine's mouth could have probably explain Alex's reaction. He was never one to handle such delicate situations successfully to begin with, and given the current circumstances, well...

"Don't you prefer girls?" although Alex seemed as uninterested as he seemed most of the time, those who knew him would know to immediately recognize this impulsive question as a clear sign of embarrassment. And what an idiotic question it was. He knew very well- partly from reading the situation and partly because he was blatantly told so- that more than a few men he slept with preferred girls. They either went for him out of curiosity, because he wasn't typically masculine or simply because he was the best thing available. He didn't really mind it, as long as he got what he needed from them, but it sure as hell wasn't something he used to ask almost complete strangers out of the blue. Suddenly, he was very interested in shoving as much food as possible into his mouth. That seemed to be the most effective countermeasure to the situation at hand.